are bugaboo strollers "in"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know its a strange question but I have the opportunity to get a bugaboo frog at a ridiculously cheap price basically just to get it out of there garage but I was wondering are they still "in"

or were they once in and now not, like member's only jackets

I know it shouldnt matter what others think but I like in a very exclusive area on the west coast and just dont want to be snickered or have rude remarks made about of all things a stroller. I really love the stroller features way better than anything else I've seen plus getting one for next to nothing is making even better.
#2 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Life with a Babe since the thread is about baby equipment.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Well I see them all the time in the ritzy mall near me, so I guess you're safe. Although I seriously wouldn't let anyone snicker at any stroller around me, because I tend to be a bit of a class warfare type.
#4 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM

My husband says think of as driving a ten year old Mercedes. Yes, it's old, BUT it is a Mercedes...

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#5 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 PM

I think that they are still in. They were really the first of the upscale, nicely designed strollers so they became very trendy almost immediately, if you had the means, but I still see them all the time. I think that they're very practical, too. It's great that they come with the bassinet, and you can have the seat forward or rear-facing. They are supposed to be really nice to drive, too.

We got a Peg Perego and I wish we had gotten something with inflatable tires. When my second child was born, we got the Phil+Ted and the inflatable tires are a dream to steer.

I guess my one piece of advice is related to that: if you're planning on having another child soon and think you'll need a double stroller, you might want to skip straight for that. The Peg basically just takes up room now. But since this is such a good deal, I'd probably take it anyway. I think for nice strollers, you really do get what you pay for.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think they are too trendy anymore, I think they are more widespread now than when they first came out. They are different enough from all the big baby brands of strollers (Graco, Cosco, Evenflo), and the price tag is high enough that only certain income levels are likely to buy them new, but I don't think you'll stand out either way by using one.
#7 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 10:51 PM

I took a baby class in a very ritzy section of my city (yeah, I was out of place, haha) and almost every single mother had a Bugaboo. There were a couple of Uppababy strollers, but literally not one Graco or the like.

I recv'd a Bugaboo Cameleon for free and I adore it. I say if you can get a Bugaboo for short money, go for it!
#8 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 PM

They are still pretty top tier. There are newer ones, but they're all modeled on the Bug. We had a frog with our first and ADORED it. Hands down, it is the best one we've owned!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#9 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

I had a frog with my first child and loved it

The only "downfall" is that a few years ago I was that after seeing my stroller a few women in my MOPS group became very jealous and developed what I call "stroller hate". They'd glare at me at meetings and whisper behind my back. I take a walk down main street in town at the same time every day. One day a couple of the MOPS moms drove past, screamed obscenities, and threw tomatoes at me One tomato hit m beloved Bugaboo After that day, I never used it again.

Just be careful of the stroller hate.
#10 of 21 Old 06-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakesMancakes View Post
I had a frog with my first child and loved it

The only "downfall" is that a few years ago I was that after seeing my stroller a few women in my MOPS group became very jealous and developed what I call "stroller hate". They'd glare at me at meetings and whisper behind my back. I take a walk down main street in town at the same time every day. One day a couple of the MOPS moms drove past, screamed obscenities, and threw tomatoes at me One tomato hit m beloved Bugaboo After that day, I never used it again.

Just be careful of the stroller hate.
Are you kidding?!?! I mean...over a stroller...I can't even...
I hope you called the police.
#11 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 12:02 AM

that's awful! I have to admit-- bugaboos brand new seem way, way to expensive to buy brand new. But if you can get one for a good price....

PancakeMancake-- if you are getting rid of your let me know! I'm sure that tomato will come right out!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#12 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 AM

I think they're totally still "in" and I say that if you can get a great price - go for it! Bobs are SOOOO in around where I live, I wanted one before and I want one now. even though everyone seems to have them

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#13 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
Are you kidding?!?! I mean...over a stroller...I can't even...
I hope you called the police.
I sobbed on the way home and I wasn't going to call, but dp told me that I really should. The police were super nice and understanding.
#14 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 AM

I see them all over my area still, and this is the bay area so pretty affluent. I had the Chameleon with my first and LOVED it. I still use it when I only want a single, but since I had #2 I usually use my Double BOB- which I also see EVERYWHERE. They are both awesome strollers.
#15 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM

The Frog has some nice features and if you can get it for a great price, go for it.

You know what's also really trendy these days? Baby carrying. Take the money you're saving on your Frog and get a great carrier too.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#16 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 02:16 PM

I still see them everywhere, but I have heard the new "in" stroller is the Mutsy.
I can't believe anyone would say anything rude to you about a stroller, but I guess it has happened as the PP's story read.

Mama to Madelynn 8/16/2009 and awaiting buggy #2 March/2011 , partner to DH

#17 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Your post reminded me of this New York Times article I read last year. According to it because you're buying it used you're very "in" but that top end products like Bugaboos are "out" overall because in addition to people not being able to afford them anymore there's also sort of an anti-consumerism trend going on.

Anyway, it sounds like a nice stroller at a sweet price, so my vote is get it and enjoy it and don't worry about the people that might judge you over your choice in stroller.
#18 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Oh, cool article thiscat and hello from a fellow Chapel Hill-ian

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#19 of 21 Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM

I don't understand the question. Are you concerned that people will assume you're the kind of snooty rich type who pays $800 for a stroller? Or are you worried that the Bugaboo is out of style and your stroller won't be hip and fashionable?

The former might cross my mind. The latter, never.
#20 of 21 Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 AM

#21 of 21 Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I don't understand the question. Are you concerned that people will assume you're the kind of snooty rich type who pays $800 for a stroller? Or are you worried that the Bugaboo is out of style and your stroller won't be hip and fashionable?

The former might cross my mind. The latter, never.

It's the second. I am kinda hoping this thread and the stroller envy thing is a joke. There is probably a different reason mom's don't like that poster, but throwing things at someone is never acceptable.

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page