Dermoid Cyst? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

My 3.5 month old has a dermoid cyst at the end of her left eyebrow. Ped says it needs to be removed for cosmetic reasons, which I am ambivalent about. But what little I have been able to glean from online searches is that there's also a risk of rupture. Which makes me feel that we should do the surgery. Also, the ped mentioned possibility of the cyst growing into the underlying bone, but said hers was mobile, so he's not that concerned. It doesn't feel very mobile to me. Unless it grows significantly, I would want to wait till 6 months old, if not 1 yr to have surgery, because of anesthesia.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and can offer any thoughts or wisdom?

TIA
Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 AM

No experience with that particular type of cyst, but you might try posting in Special Needs Parenting, lots of kids on there have had surgeries for many different reasons, so you can get advice on the surgery.

I agree that you should wait until at least a year old if possible.

Can you get a referral to a surgeon to talk to them about it? My son sees a general surgeon every 6 months because we are monitoring an abdominal growth that may need surgery. The surgeon sees him every 6 months and we re-evaluate whether we should do the surgery now, or put it off another 6 months. A surgeon will be better equipped to give you that answer than a ped would be.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonichka View Post
Hi there,

My 3.5 month old has a dermoid cyst at the end of her left eyebrow. Ped says it needs to be removed for cosmetic reasons, which I am ambivalent about. But what little I have been able to glean from online searches is that there's also a risk of rupture. Which makes me feel that we should do the surgery. Also, the ped mentioned possibility of the cyst growing into the underlying bone, but said hers was mobile, so he's not that concerned. It doesn't feel very mobile to me. Unless it grows significantly, I would want to wait till 6 months old, if not 1 yr to have surgery, because of anesthesia.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and can offer any thoughts or wisdom?

TIA
Bonnie

Bonnie, my son had one when he was born.

We were told it would continue to get bigger, and it did. It first appeared around 8 weeks of age, and by 15 or so it was much bigger. He had it removed about then.

It was the same place as yours (that seems to be a very common place) and was starting to interfere with his eye closing. I was worried it would affect his vision. I didn't like the general anesthesia, but IMO it was a necessary thing.

PM me if you have any questions.

User Tag List