Mothering Forum banner

Talk to me about Gliders/Rockers/Armchairs

2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  LilaQ 
#1 ·
So I'm a tad premature, but DH said I could buy a rocker for our will be nursery next time we go shopping in the states, only now I can't make up my mind. I'd love to know from people who have been there, done that, what you would do if you can do it all over again.

Some things about us...

-First time parents, but I've spent a ton of time babysitting/nannying, so while I've fed and rocked tons of babies, I've obviously never breastfed
-Nursery is pretty small, I think something like 8x10, but it does have a closet organizer, so I think I can get away with a crib and chair, and little bookshelf or something.
-I am 5'4, DH is 6'4
-We will probably not cosleep, since DH moves too much in his sleep, but baby will likely start out in basinett in our room, and then move to crib.
-My big 'want' of a rocker/glider is one that I can pull my legs up and cross them in. I find that when feeding, I always end up pulling at least one leg up and basically supporting baby like that, so I feel like I want to have the option for this- ie I don't want a hard railing pushing into my knee.
-For this reason, I've been looking primarily for an armchair looking glider, as opposed to the typical gliders.
-DH prefers a glider to a rocker, I don't care.

So... with all of that information... I'm starting to wonder how big of a deal is the actual rocking aspect, do you think gliding/rocking makes that big of a difference, and... well, what would you do in this case? If it helps, I've had my mind set on this one Dorel Rocking Chair. But then I noticed it's a rocker, not a glider. It's not bad for price at all ($230) but I also know I could buy a similiar looking one that doesn't rock for about $50 off of craigslist. I'm trying to decide if that's a better option, or if I'll miss the rocking feature... Seems like there's so many options!

See less See more
#2 ·
We got a used rocker/recliner off of craigslist and LOVED it. I almost never used the recliner feature, but it was padded and perfect for pulling your legs up like you talk about. It was super comfy no matter how long we were in it (very helpful for a couple of long nights!) and it really became a special place for dd and I. At first I used a small foot stool in front of it, but usually not.

I can't recommend a rocker/recliner enough. We're in an RV now, or I would still have it.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I really love to nurse laying down in my bed with the baby so a glider would not be beneficial to me unless I was watching tv or reading or something while nursing. If I was definitely not cosleeping then yeah it would sound good bc I would much rather do that then sit in a chair in the baby room.

#4 ·
I have a glider, and I didn't use it much when DD was small, but now that she is 9 months, it is essential for naps and nursing to sleep. She falls right to sleep when I rock her now. When she was a newborn, she hated to be rocked, I know, weird. But now it is the only way I can get her to sleep sometimes.

#5 ·
we're looking for a good armchair glider too. We are shopping for it online as there aren't any good stores where I live (small town rural).
I got the babies r us jayden glider recliner and it is YUCKY! I am sending it back (for a full refund). It had a comfortable body but the fabric feels gross- almost wet like it is saturated in chemicals.!

I happen to really like Target so I ordered the lullaby glider from target. waiting for it to arrive and I got it w- the ottoman. It got good reviews but I haven't tried it yet

#6 ·
You didn't mention this, but may I recommend a nursing stool for whatever type of chair you end up getting? Medela makes one for $25 and I've found it invaluable, especially when first nursing a small infant. It props your feet up at an angle to create a great lap position for nursing. I still use my nursing stool, "my breastfriend nursing pillow' and rocking chair when I nurse my baby in his nursery.

I had an old hand me down rocker for free, but always wished I had a more comfy option. Mine is wooden and though it has pads, just not as comfy. Plus it is LOUD and creaky.

I think your idea for one that you can pull your legs up is a great one- you already know you prefer to sit that way and you'll probably end up doing much more than nursing in the chair - reading books, clipping fingernails, just rocking and singing. And you want to be comfortable.

#7 ·
it's one of those things we never ended up purchasing but everytime i go to a friends or one of the baby stores & sit & nurse in one, i say "wish we had one of these".

i also have a medella nursing stool & it is a great tool. i ended up realizing that i prefer to nurse sitting with my legs up & crossed like you mentioned (i hated my breast friend, but love my boppy) so now the nursing stool is how dd1 climbs in & out of her bed.

i think it's smart to get one that is like a "real" chair like you linked to because it can be used in a living room later on.

congrats & good luck!!!

#8 ·
we have a wooden rocker. hate it. i only use it because it is the only thing to sit on in the room.

a friend of mine has a glider and although i never wanted one because i hated the look of them, if we have another kiddo i'm for sure getting one. i remember just sitting there watching football with them and absentmindedly gliding, not putting forth any effort whatsoever and DD just fell asleep in my arms (she NEVER does this.) her's also reclines and has an ottoman and it is sooooo worth it.

#9 ·
i had an old glider for my kids and i hated it. i know they make some pretty nice plush ones now but i'd be hesistant to buy one.

this time around i'll use my lazy boy recliner (now that i have one).

the glider i had didn't have cushioned arms and i know you can get them like that...so it was really hard for me to nurse in. dd didnt have anywhere comfortable to lay her feet and i felt too cramped in it, like there wasn't enough room on my lap for her. i also found the arm rests to be too high for nursing. it was all i had so that's what i used...but i only used it at night (my first dd didn't co-sleep with us). all other times i nursed her wherever i happened to be in the house.

so..if i were to do it again...i'd buy something WIDE, with LOW padded arm rests. For me it would great for it to rock, but a footstool isn't really necessary because like you i tucked one or both of my legs up.

#11 ·
Ok So I'll deifnately go with my gut and get a stuffed chair 'version'. Do you guys think it's generally worth the extra $150 for it to rock, as opposed to being a flat bottom? I think that's my biggest problem right now, and of course so much harder, because you never really know what each individual babe will like.

And as funny as it sounds... I've seen nursing stools all over the place, and didn't actually understand that that was the point of it. Duh! Makes sense once you point it out.

#13 ·
We purchased a Dutailier glider and gliding ottoman before DS1 was born and I have to say it was the best baby purchase we made. I have spent thousands of hours breastfeeding my last two babes in it.

I know it is the type of glider you said you didn't want, but just wanted to chime in as a voice that hadn't been heard here yet.

We bought the largest style they had at the time...(think it was called "Grand" maybe?) We wanted something that both myself (5'1") and my DH (6'3") could be comfy in. Although turns out he hardly ever gets to sit in it, as I it has become "Mommy's big brown chair." heh. It has the ability to glide, or you can make it stationary. You can set the back to recline or make it stationary as well. The matching ottoman glides as well.

I love, love, love this thing!
It wide enough to fit me and a boppy perfectly, has padded arms and I am able to cross my legs under me just fine.

I've always used mine in the living room, however, as we have never used a nursery and we co-sleep. So my glider gets used for nursing during the day only. (Or on those nights when baby won't sleep and we leave the bedroom to keep from waking daddy.
) Other than lying in bed, it is the only place that is super comfy for nursing.

I hate sitting in a stationary chair to nurse. There is something about the motion that soothes both my baby AND me.

So, just wanted to let you know that there are glider lovers out there. I swear I can't imagine my life without it.

ETA: We have one similar to this, but I see now they have upholstered ones like you are looking for.

#14 ·
I actually just sat in one of those at toysrus!! lol It was the biggest one they had, so I figured if any would fit it would. I do like the gliding... and I think you guys are right, bite the bullet and stick with something that 'moves'. The problem with the dutalier, is that it's more than twice the cost of the other one. Which makes my heart choke up a little bit. lol. I'll have to ask DH his opinion, as I know he wanted the glide vs rock feature.

#15 ·
I hear you about the price. Now that I think about it we did spent about $500 maybe? But, it was our only big purchase we made and it turns out we got more than our money's worth out of it. I can see purchasing something less expensive if you aren't sure if you will get use out of it.

And no matter what you go with, my advice would be to get a neutral color that will work in more than one room in your house. You never know which room will end up being your breastfeeding home base, and a multi-pastel polka dot chair tends to clash w/decor in other rooms.

#16 ·
We used a rocker recliner (upholstered kind of chair is what I mean when I say recliner), it swiveled too. It worked great and I could get my legs up.

I kept the rocker in the living room for the first few months because she slept in my arms most of that time and it would have sucked to have just been by myself in a nursery for hours on end while she slept and I sat in the chair. Just something to think about....and make sure you have a small chair-side table or window ledge for snacks, water, a book, etc.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
We purchased a Dutailier glider and gliding ottoman before DS1 was born and I have to say it was the best baby purchase we made. I have spent thousands of hours breastfeeding my last two babes in it.

I know it is the type of glider you said you didn't want, but just wanted to chime in as a voice that hadn't been heard here yet.

We bought the largest style they had at the time...(think it was called "Grand" maybe?) We wanted something that both myself (5'1") and my DH (6'3") could be comfy in. Although turns out he hardly ever gets to sit in it, as I it has become "Mommy's big brown chair." heh. It has the ability to glide, or you can make it stationary. You can set the back to recline or make it stationary as well. The matching ottoman glides as well.

I love, love, love this thing!
It wide enough to fit me and a boppy perfectly, has padded arms and I am able to cross my legs under me just fine.

I've always used mine in the living room, however, as we have never used a nursery and we co-sleep. So my glider gets used for nursing during the day only. (Or on those nights when baby won't sleep and we leave the bedroom to keep from waking daddy.
) Other than lying in bed, it is the only place that is super comfy for nursing.

I hate sitting in a stationary chair to nurse. There is something about the motion that soothes both my baby AND me.

So, just wanted to let you know that there are glider lovers out there. I swear I can't imagine my life without it.

ETA: We have one similar to this, but I see now they have upholstered ones like you are looking for.
this is like the one my friend has. ugh how i wish i had had one. i think it would be well worth the money but you can find them on craigslist sometimes. you have to get the ottoman though....then you can glide without using hardly any leg power. there are cuter ones out there (and WAY more expensive) but it is heaven

#19 ·
I had just a comfy chair to nurse in - no rocking, no reclining - with an ottoman. Main downside, is that it doesn't have a high back, and neither did the couch, and I really wanted to lean my head back on something cushy.

so we (DH and I each got one, LOL and got rid of the couch!) got 2 different, but similiar looking, gliders. they don't recline, this is an unnecessary feature, IMO. I have one made by Graco, it has a nice wide seat, and DH has a Sherman (I think) which has thicker cushions, but not quite as wide a seat. FWIW, I am 4'11" and he is 6'6"

If money were no object I would get a regular la-z-boy sort of rocker recliner. I have found that the nursing/glider chair sorts often don't have a high enough back for me to rest my head on. However we each got a glider for what one of those would cost, if you include the ottoman.

#20 ·
We have this: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...=searchresults but in an off white color. We've had it for 4 years now and it's in great shape. We love it and I couldn't imagine NOT having it especially with DS#2 and when he was first born. A LOT of rocking him to sleep took place in this glider.

His room is probably 13x13? Maybe a little less and there is the glider/ottoman, his crib, change table/dresser and a few toys. Still plenty of room to play on the floor. Not crowded at all!

#21 ·
With the typical gliders like that, and even the dutailier or other more expensive oens... How have you guys found the fit? Are you able to curl a leg up, or do you find the armrest pushed into your leg and makes it uncomfortable. That's my concern with that style. They're a lot cheaper, and easier to come by, I'm just worried about comfort, since I know that will likely be my most common position.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

so we (DH and I each got one, LOL and got rid of the couch!) got 2 different, but similiar looking, gliders. they don't recline, this is an unnecessary feature, IMO.
I don't use my recline feature often, but it came in handy on more than a few occasions with DS1. He was a terrible sleeper from birth to age 18 months, so there were many nights that nursing in the glider was the only way to get him to sleep. Instead of risking waking him by going back to bed, I just reclined my chair and was able to rest for a bit while he slept. (You know, for the 30-45 minutes at a time he'd actually sleep before waking up again.
)

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
With the typical gliders like that, and even the dutailier or other more expensive oens... How have you guys found the fit? Are you able to curl a leg up, or do you find the armrest pushed into your leg and makes it uncomfortable. That's my concern with that style. They're a lot cheaper, and easier to come by, I'm just worried about comfort, since I know that will likely be my most common position.
The narrowest part of the seat of my glider is 22 1'2". (Measuring from the front of one wooden arm to the other.) The cushion is 26" wide at the front of the chair. I'm only 5'1", but I sit with both my legs curled up in the chair often and still have lots of room. The back of the chair is also tall enough to rest my entire head on with room to spare, even when sitting perfectly straight up.

It really is best to find a place where you can sit in the actual chair before you buy it. I think we sat in like 20 different gliders before we picked the one we bought.

#24 ·
I bought a glider with a matching ottoman when I was pregnant with my first son. It was comfy to sit in while pregnant, but I hated it when trying to nurse or rock him to sleep. It just wasn't big enough - and I'm like you - I want to be able to sit indian style or with at least one leg folded up. The arms were padded, but just not enough, and putting a pillow of any kind in there with us just took up too much room.

I loved going to my parents' house and sitting in their recliner - it was perfect for me to nurse in, and I could sleep with the baby in it because I wasn't sitting straight up.

I searched Craigslist since I found out I was pg in January, and I finally found my perfect Lazy Boy two days ago. It rocks, reclines and swivels, matches my other furniture, is so comfy I may never get anything done again, and I talked the guy down from $70 to $40.

I know its so much easier to just go into a furniture store and buy something, but if you really look, you can find great deals on used and get exactly what you think you'll be happiest with.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I personally wouldn't get a rocker or glider unless it was also a regular ol' recliner chair. I have my eyes on a La-Z-Boy one on Craig's List; I'll let you know if I get it!

thats what we ended up getting last time, a la z boy rocker/recliner. It is awesome and is a actual piece of furniture (its also very comfy and everyone that comes over gravitates to wantting to sit in it) It is more pricey than the cheaper nursery rockers I've seen but will definately go way beyond baby days, we have ours in our living room and ended up becoming dh's chair.

#26 ·
I have a reclining Dutalier glider with the ottoman I got it off CL for $250. I could have bought a new one for less but I wanted the best and it was worth every penny. Before my son was born I hated the look of gliders so I never wanted one, but he really loves being rocked and the cute vintage rocker we had creaked and hurt my back. I finally broke down and got this one when I found myself falling asleep sitting up on the sofa after BF and then my neck would be too stiff to move. I can comfortably sleep in the glider and I find nursing much easier than on the couch. Oh, I should add that I hate sitting in regular chairs. I like to be indian style on the floor or lying on the couch so I get what you mean about wanting a wide seat but for some reason I'm totally comfortable in the glider with my feet propped up. I'm about 5'5'' and my husband is 6'3" and he is very comfortable in it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.