Is my 5-month-old ready to try solids already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She has no teeth, but she's VERY interested in food, watches people eat and licks her lips and imitates chewing to the point where you feel guilty eating in front of her. My husband let her suck on a skinned apple the other day and she LOVED it. He had trouble getting it away from her.

My older one never did any of this. She was completely uninterested in food until she was 10 months old, so I never had to worry about whether I was starting solids too early. And she didn't get a single tooth until 13 months, so I don't expect to be able to use that as a gauge of readiness for solids with my little one.

We have one of those mesh things with the plastic handle that you can put a piece of fruit or something for the babe to nosh on - should I try a little avocado or banana in that thing? I really don't know how to tell if her digestive system is ready for food. Just because she wants it doesn't mean her body is ready, kwim? Or that's my concern, anyway. What do you guys think? She's exclusively bf, btw, if that wasn't obvious from my post.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#2 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Our guy (4 days older than yours) is doing the same thing. We aren't in a rush to introduce solid but we're going to start soon. He stares at us longingly while we eat. Not in a "oh please finish and hug me" way but "hmmm ... what's you got mom? What's that dad? Can I have some too!" way. He imitates the chewing motion when he sees us doing it too. Our son's teeth are definitely coming in, too. Many sources I've read say four months you can start, others say wait until six months. AAP recommends six months exclusive BF. But I think if our kids are showing an interest now at five, it's definitely between 4 and 6 and it might be time just to introduce them to something else. Of course they'll still mostly BF for a while still. We feel the guilt too ...

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss
#3 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 PM

At 5 months a baby will stare longingly at a telephone cord and make whining noises until you give it to him and 9 times out of 10, it will go directly into his mouth. This doesn't mean he is ready to eat the telephone cord .

It's a stage when babies are really interested in what we are doing and will imitate pretty much any action we are doing. I'd give it another month. You can try giving her a spoon to play with at meal times, or if you really want to give her something, try a breastmilk slushie with a spoon or some ice chips in a mesh feeder. You could do bm in a sippy as well.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#4 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM

I don't think that when they get teeth has much to do with when they're ready to eat. My youngest cut his first tooth at 16 months and the oldest didn't have his first til 10 months.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#5 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Breastmilk slushie....what a great idea!!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 10:19 PM

We just bought an ice cream maker, and if I could get myself to pump enough milk, I'd totally slush some up in there for DD.

Mama to three

#7 of 7 Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM

we made bm ice cubes for the mesh feeder & started trying that this week while we eat...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page