Mothering Forum banner

Diaper Rash - ow!

472 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Plummeting 
#1 ·
Hi All. DS is 6 1/2 months and never really had diaper rash much. In the past two weeks we have started solids food - banana, avocado, sweet potato. He is also teething - the teeth are not through the skin yet, but I can feel them.

The past week he has had some bad diaper rash and is in pain. I feel so bad--he is so sad when I change his diaper. He is pooping about 4 times a day, sometimes 5. Before starting solids he was pooping about 2 times a day. i'm trying just to blot his bottom because I can tell it hurts him when I change his diaper (we use cloth).

Tonight I put a disposable diaper on him so that I could put a bunch of diaper rash cream on (we used cali baby).

I am wondering if any other mammas experienced something similar when their LO's started solid foods? or maybe it's from teething?

thanks.

#2 ·
Just a few thoughts: you may want to cut way back on the solids. Starting that many foods right away may be upsetting his little tummy. Maybe stop them until things clear up and then try just a little bit of one of them.

Teething and swallowing all that saliva can cause the rash too. I would let him air out as much as possible, a little soaking in plain water, and I would use the cloth diapers, even with cream if you want to use it. It will breath better and the chemicals in the disposables may make things worse. Bordeauxs Butt paste gets great reviews.

Yeast can also be a culpret--if he getting probiotics? If not that might be a good idea.

Hope this helps--wanted to reply but have to run....

#3 ·
It could be from teething or it could be some coincidental bug he's picked up. Introducing 3 foods over 2 weeks is not too many, too fast, IMO. It's also possible he is sensitive to one of those foods, although unlikely. If you think there's a chance (again, it's not impossible, but unlikely) then stop feeding those 3 and try something else for a few days. If it gets better, introduce them again, one at a time, to see if you get another reaction. If not, obviously it wasn't the food.
Personally, I'd just wait a few days and see if it gets better. Teething can cause a nasty diaper rash for some kids. Sorry your DS is having this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.