How noisy are your babies at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO is six weeks old and makes the most incredible noises at night. She sighs, hems and haws, sounds like she's spitting up or choking, clicks, you name it. I turn on the light and she's fine every time. We do have her sleeping in an elevated position thinking that might help, but it doesn't. Is this normal? I can't sleep next to her because of the racket. Interestingly- when the light is on she doesn't make a peep.
#2 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 02:15 PM

That might explain why Cecilia's basically quiet at night-- we sleep with the bathroom light on!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids have all been noisy at night but DS was the worst. He has a small nasal cavity so he snored or grunted all night long.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 02:46 PM

My DD (born one day after yours, btw!) is the same way, though it doesn't matter at all whether or not a light is on or off. DH no longer sleeps in the room when he has to work the next day because she's so noisy he cannot get rest.

Our honeymoon baby arrived 5/21/10!
#5 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 AM

mine is loud as well - she has been in another room since she 6 weeks, she was sleeping hours and hours but her noises were waking me up all the time.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post
My LO is six weeks old and makes the most incredible noises at night. She sighs, hems and haws, sounds like she's spitting up or choking, clicks, you name it. I turn on the light and she's fine every time.
This is DD#2 exactly! And, to boot, this is the complete opposite of DD#1 who anytime she made a sound it meant she was waking up ready to scream!

I mentioned to the doctor she was "grunty" at our two week visit, but she said everything sounded perfect upon exam. I found that she often twists and grunts when she's passing gas or pooping. However, unlike my first DD, it doesn't seem to bother her and she can sleep right through it.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM

My DD cooed in her sleep, and sometimes snored(now she really snores). DS grunted all.night.long. until about 3 months, then he started snoring, he snores so loudly that last night while holding him I could not hear the TV

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#8 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 AM

Our DS is 6 weeks old and is so so so noisy while sleeping. He grunts, he groans, he whines, he kinda giggles, he just generally makes noise all night long. I'm slowly learning how to sleep through his sleep grunting and wake when he's waking... but it makes for a sleepy mama
#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 AM

My DD2 is 4 wks and from day one has been incredibly noisy while sleeping. Just incredible. She and I sleep almost completely in the guest room at night b/c she wakes DD1 and Dh. She's gotten louder as she's gotten a couple of weeks older. It's all normal noises, but just incredibly loud. I can't wait til it goes away!

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM

DS was a very noisy baby, somewhere along the way, he quieted down, but I don't know when. For me, with all the SIDS stuff talked about, I loved listening to him sleep, it was reassuring; he slept in the cosleeper next to the bed until he was 7 months old.

The noises didn't bother me really, I don't know if it helps that we play instrumental lullabies at night (so one way or another, it is not completely quiet), or that we have a nightlight by the cosleeper, or what. but I have always slept great next to him. I tried going to sleep with him in another room (his, in his crib), and I just couldn't do it! I missed him too much. One day, I will have to though.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
My kids have all been noisy at night but DS was the worst. He has a small nasal cavity so he snored or grunted all night long.
small nasal cavity? How do you know? I ask because my son makes awful noises....my dh calls it his 'snorefullness'....it's not really a snore as he makes these noises even when awake...SOMETIMES his head position seems to clear it up; but he makes these noises a lot! Drives me insane but the doc and my dh seem to think he's fine.......sigh...

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM

"his snorefullness" !!! :rofl

when DS was, oh, less than 6 months old, he snorted all the time - when awake. We called him "Sir Snorts a Lot"

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#13 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've not noticed any noises, except for some on and off congestion. I think I'd have more trouble sleeping if she were making all those sounds!

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page