Do You give your babe water with solid meals? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food book as a guideline for feeding DD solids, she is 8.5 months old. She recommends giving baby water with meals to ensure proper kidney function and I agree that it's good to offer liquids with the solid foods, but I'm not sure about the water. It seems that breast milk would be better, but I HATE pumping! Especially when its for just an oz. or two, cleaning that thing is just a pain (hand pump). But DD's wellness trumps any annoyance for sure.

What do you give your LO with solid meals?
#2 of 16 Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenine View Post
I've been using Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food book as a guideline for feeding DD solids, she is 8.5 months old. She recommends giving baby water with meals to ensure proper kidney function and I agree that it's good to offer liquids with the solid foods, but I'm not sure about the water. It seems that breast milk would be better, but I HATE pumping! Especially when its for just an oz. or two, cleaning that thing is just a pain (hand pump). But DD's wellness trumps any annoyance for sure.

What do you give your LO with solid meals?
Water. Ds is almost 9 months.. he doesn't really eat meals- just bites here and there but we do give him a sippy of water so he can learn how to use the cup and learn to drink water. If I want him to have breastmilk with a meal I will just nurse him before hand and then offer solids. No way I am pumping to offer milk with meals. No necessary in my opinion. But then again I make sure that food before 12 months is mostly for learning purposes and not to get full. We just give ds tastes and bites and not meals that way he isn't really replacing breastmilk per say.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#3 of 16 Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Water. I never pumped and neither of mine would take expressed milk at all.

-Angela
#4 of 16 Old 07-03-2010, 05:09 PM

ds is almost 10 months old. like the PP he just eats bites of solid foods (we do BLW). we offer water in a cup after meals, mostly so he can learn to use a cup. no way am I pumping to give him milk in a cup. most of the time he doesn't even drink the water he just spills it everywhere
#5 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Water. But if we're out somewhere and I didn't bring his cup, I just nurse him and don't worry about it. He doesn't eat terribly much solid food yet anyhow. For whatever reason, DS thinks drinking water is really fun (even though he won't take expressed milk for anything!).

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#6 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 AM

DD LOVES water shes 9 m/o and drinks it from my SS thermos mostly but will drink from a cup. she eats a good amount of solids BLW but still nursing like crazy lol 6xday 2-4x night. she eats 3 solid meals a day but they are VERY small like the size of her palm (they say thats a good portion for people in general)

i gave her some juice to TRY before and she hated it! shes not much for sweets but shes a veggie fanatic!(you should see her crying for the broccoli lol)

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Wish I could get my LO to eat broccoli!

I always offer water at meals. . .and often in btw meals too, especially if we are out and about and it it hot. My DS loves water. He has a Klean Kanteen sippy and loves it. He probably drinks 4-6oz of water a day. But he nurses plenty as well and doesn't eat a whole lot at meals. One of the reasons I started offering water was that he sweats quite a bit and was getting constipated (more due to hot weather than to what he was eating I believe). I know he gets plenty of BM so I don't mind offering water too and I like establishing good water drinking habits!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#8 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM

My son who is 9 months signs for water when he's thirsty, so he gets it.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM

We give a sippy of water with her solids. She LOVES it because it's something different and she wears most of it.

She's still nursing at least 10x in a 24 hour period at 8 months

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#10 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 PM

My DS loves water! He started to sorta ask for water when he was 5 mo. He noticed me drinking water and he stuck his arms out and made some sounds of excitement. So when I feed him solid food, I offer my cup of water to him and if he's thirsty, he pulls it to his mouth (while I hold it) and drinks.

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#11 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami mommy View Post
My DS loves water! He started to sorta ask for water when he was 5 mo. He noticed me drinking water and he stuck his arms out and made some sounds of excitement. So when I feed him solid food, I offer my cup of water to him and if he's thirsty, he pulls it to his mouth (while I hold it) and drinks.
ds always wants my cup too, but he sticks his hand in it. I think he's been watching the cat
#12 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Why don't you think water is good? Drinking water is a very healthy practice, and if the baby is old enough for solids, then she is also old enough for water -- in my opinion. I give ds water both with food and without. I don't necessarily give it to him every time I give him something to eat, but I often do. He's 9 months old, and as a pp said, he gets plenty of breastmilk too.
#13 of 16 Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 PM

I think that BM is the perfect balance of water and other nutrients. If you are offering solids, I feel water should usually be offered too, since you need to balance the nutrients from the food with water. I'm not explaining it too well, but I guess I think of BM as a food, not a drink. I like to follow DD's lead, and she loves water.
#14 of 16 Old 07-05-2010, 01:07 AM

water or smoothies that i make with coconut milk, avocado and whatever fruit i have around, with a dash of powdered acidophilus. i have a very skinny bub so am always trying to get nutrient rich and healthy fat rich food in (he's 16lbs at 9mths and just over 29 inches long)

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#15 of 16 Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM

We give DD (10 months) water in a sippy with meals, especially when she has protein in her meal. It helps avoid constipation. She's prone to constipation when she has chicken or other proteins, so we don't give her very much, but water plain or some with a little juice to help keep things moving.
#16 of 16 Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
Why don't you think water is good?
I don't think it's bad necessarily, I'm just thinking in terms of nutrient density. A drink of BM is more nutrient dense than water, I just wasn't sure if it was too early to replace the BM with the h2o. I've been giving her water since my OP and she's loving it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page