Poison Ivy-Double posted - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Lovumms333238's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 12 week old daughter. When I was 25 weeks pregnant I broke out in a serious poison ivy rash. It soon consumed my entire body/face and I had to go to the hospital, I am seriously allergic. My husband broke out in it that day and got it on his arms, hands and private parts! I felt terrible for him even though I was the one hospitalized. My dd was fine but they couldn't figure out what it was ( i react to poison ivy different, it doesn't bubble on my skin )
It is happening again. I just have a little bit on my arm and hand and DH has it on the inside of his elbow. I checked dd and she looks fine but I am sooo worried about her. It took a while to show up on DH and i just want to be prepared.... what do I do if she has it? Of course I will call the doctor but should I take her to the ER if it turns up on her? Has anyone here has a severe reaction like mine and if so what did you do to prevent it in the future? I am just hoping I don't pass that to her...
Any thoughts/help!? TIA

Lovumms333238 is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
kayabrink's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto or Ile d'Oléron
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you absolutely certain it's poison ivy? It seems strange that both you and dh would get it, and that it would happen again so soon afterwards. Do you live in a woodsy (read: poison-ivy filled) area?
I'm sorry, I'm no help but I do find it a little odd, though I can offer no alternate diagnosis and no solution.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

kayabrink is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 PM
mamadelbosque's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah... are you guys like, rolling around in poison ivy or something? Because honestly, your best bet if you are highly allergic to poison ivy is to simply avoid it - learn what it looks like (leaves of three let it be) and avoid it. If you know you've been in it, as soon as you can wash your arms/legs/hands/etc very well, and maybe even change your clothes - the oils can transfer from clothing/etc to you (my DH keeps getting it from our bucks' chain - we tie him up in the woods and let'm eat it

But, if your not outside hiking around/rolling around in poison ivy, I'd look around your house/yard/etc and figure out wtf it is that your allergic to. Its highly possibly though that your dd won't be as allergic to it as you are. FWIW I had one bout of poison ivy when I was.. idk, 8 or 9 or so, had it head to toe everywhere (from digging around in the woods in the early spring in its roots before it had leaves...), and I've never had it bad since. I usually get a small patch or two in the spring/early summer and then I'm good to go for the summer
mamadelbosque is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
SpuglyRoo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and cousins are seriously allergic, they touch one tiny dot of it and it gets in their bloodstream and spreads EVERYWHERE. Occasionally, they have also been hospitalized. Gold Bond Medicated cream seems to help it go away faster for my husband (not sure about my cousins). Also, benadryll helps sometimes. And I have heard that breastmilk will help, but since I'm running on empty we haven't actually tried it. It might be something to consider putting on your daughter if she does actually get it since it wouldn't give her any side effects.

Do you know where you are being exposed to it? It is is on your property I would get rid of it with either sprays (they are poisonous! beware!) or pay someone else to come and rip it all out for you. Do you have outdoor pets? They may be getting it on themselves and then spreading it to you. Or, perhaps you got it while someone was mowing over a patch of it and small particles of it got carried over near you. If you are allergic, that may be enough to do it. The best way to prevent it in the future is to figure out where you are exposed to it and then stay away! Make sure you know what poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac (spelling?) all look like because if you are allergic to one, you very well may be allergic to the rest (I would think it very likely).

Good Luck! It is miserable I know, just try to keep any infected part of you or your husband from touching your DD until you are no longer oozing the oils. And if she gets it, keep a close eye on her and play it by ear as to whether or not you take her to ER/Doctor.

OH! Just remembered, if you KNOW you just touched it, wash with an oil cutting dish soap like DAWN, it is more effective at removing the oils than normal body soaps will be.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
SpuglyRoo is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 17,181

22 members and 17,159 guests
aircantu1 , Bow , CricketVS , Deborah , firmfoot , girlspn , Hippie Mama 79 , Iron Princess , katelove , Kelleybug , Lea Martin , lisak1234 , lorie2001 , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , pokeyac , RollerCoasterMama , Springshowers , summer19 , verticalscope , zoeyzoo
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.