Swim diaper (aka baby) ban in community pools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure where to post this.

My community has banned non-toilet trained children and swim diapers from using the main swimming pool. There is a kiddie pool that they are allowed to use. This is discriminatory. The community would have to bar all incontinent people from using the pool to be in compliance with the law. (P.S. My community said they would rather do this than allow for babies wearing swim diapers and rubber pants to be in the pool. How nice, right?) I will be contacting HUD to gather more information Monday.

My question to the collective brain is: What are your pool rules regarding swim diapers and babies? Has anyone ever had similar issues?

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#2 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 02:29 PM

My mother's community has the same rule. I'm there so infrequently I don't fight it. I'm interested in hearing what you find.

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#3 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

If your mother's community is 55+ and there are different provisions.

#4 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 03:00 PM

oh that would make me so mad. my dd loves water. it's not like big kids and some adults don't pee in the water

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 PM

I think the worry is more about poop. But that would still make me mad. No such ban at our apartment complex's pool

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#6 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM

do swim diapers leak poop often? my dd has never pooped in hers

#7 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

We use a university pool. They have family swim hours on the weekend, where kids are welcome in the dive pool. No rules against swim diapers, there are always plenty of kids wearing them.

Our city public pools have no regulations against swim diapers, either.
#8 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM

If your baby isn't likely to poop in the pool (my dd never pooped in water that I can remember), just take him in there with swim trunks. If he pees, probably no one will notice. Or would people be fiesty enough about it that they would insist that a baby that young couldn't possibly be allowed in while following the new rules?
#9 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 PM

The only ones I've heard of with bans specifically ban the disposable kind of swimmie diapers because they can cause issues (not sure what issues). I believe the pool at my parents' has a rule against non-toilet trained swimmers, but it's literally never enforced, and I take Cecilia (3 months) in there every Sunday in her Imse Vimse swim diaper.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#10 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM

What a load of crap! (no pun intended)
As a lifeguard I can tell you, the normal levels of chemicals in the pool can easily deal with pee, and small amounts of poop. And even if a child poops, you scoop it out, super chlorinate, and bring the levels back down. Takes like 3 hours.
I would be marching out front with a sign, thank you very much.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#11 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 04:55 PM

My gym pool has this rule. Kids in swim diapers (doesn't matter what kind - they're worried about poop) only permitted in the baby pool. I tried to get my little one to potty-train last year so my big kid could use the big pool, but that didn't work out. Thankfully, he potty-trained just in time this year!

I stopped going to a county-run indoor pool because of this same rule. They didn't even have a baby pool for little ones. Kids under 2 aren't permitted at all. I hate the way they run that place anyway. You have to pay for a block of time at the pool, rather than just go and stay for however long you like. And their family changing room is for more than one family at a time, but there's a lack of places to sit to change, and I'm not comfortable changing in front of unknown men. And families with opp-sex kids ages 3 and over are expected to use the family changing rooms. And after swim lessons for kids who can't yet swim, they let the kids go in the main pool without an instructor (or the parents who are waiting - fully dressed - next to the pool) for a while and don't lead them out of the pool after class. I'm very bitter that my tax dollars support this place.

The indoor pool at my local community center doesn't have this rule. We've gone there since my eldest was an infant.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#12 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Yep, our base pool here has the same rule!! They can only use the toddler/baby pool!
#13 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post
If your mother's community is 55+ and there are different provisions.
Oh no my mom is young. Nice to know for the future though!

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#14 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

The FHA law is explicit when it comes to discriminatory practices set forth by community associations and their amenities. You can read about it here.

I am very angry because my community board would prefer to exclude all
incontinent people (including specials needs adults and children), rather than
set a provision asking for swim diapers and rubber pants so that everyone
could enjoy the pool that we pay for in our dues. They say that by providing a "kiddie pool" that they are abiding by the law. I intend to call HUD to find out
if that's true and then lodge a formal complaint. When I told my board this: one member had the audacity to tell me that I was "screwing the community."

My son has never pooped in his swim diapers while in water. He is six months old and cannot sit up or walk, therefore the only place to take him in the water is an adult pool. He loves it. He is my first and only. So in order for me to enjoy our adult pool, I would need another adult with me to watch him. Furthermore, when he is potty-trained and I have more children, I can't take them in with him. It's ridiculous. I pay for this amenity and I can't use it. I am so frustrated and angry at the board for being completely unwilling to discuss a swim diaper/rubber pants provision.

I'll keep you posted when I make phone calls on Monday.

#15 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Our local pool just requires some type of swim diaper for infants/toddlers. There isn't even a separate kiddie pool, just about half the pool that is really shallow for little ones. That does seem odd to me.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 PM

Not to mention, the earlier kids are exposed to pools the easier itll be for them to learn to swim and be comfortable.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#17 of 82 Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Interesting article. Our co-op pool does have an "adults only" time in the pool (15 minutes out of every hour) but I actually like this since it makes my skinny kids get out of the pool and warm up every so often, and also provides a conveniently identifiable time to leave ("we can stay until the next break period"). I also used to swim at a public (county) pool that had lap-swim times (probably defensible according to the article because there wasn't an age restriction.)

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#18 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gee, am I really the only one here who can understand why people wouldn't want poop in the pool??? A swim diaper keeps poo in but not pee, and therefore not 'poo juice' either. Does nobody here think that's even a little bit gross in a public pool?

The pool in our condo bldg actually has a rule against children in diapers but people ignore the rule all the time. I've frequently seen other young babies in it and I do take DD in it in her swim diaper. But I pretty much know that if somebody asked me not to do that they would totally have the right.

If there's a kiddie pool available for non-toilet-trained children I really do not think the OP has a case at all. Think about that: you're saying everybody else using the pool has to swim in toilet water bc you want to take your baby in the adult pool instead of the available kiddie pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion
it's not like big kids and some adults don't pee in the water
Say what?? You know someone who has admitted to doing this?

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#19 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 AM

I would just take him in and say he's potty-trained. It's not like they can prove he's not.
Besides, an older "potty-trained" child could easily have an accident. At least baby poo would be contained in a swim diaper.

Mommy to (6-24-09)
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.
#20 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

Say what?? You know someone who has admitted to doing this?
I thought it was a well known fact.

#21 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 PM

so if you EC you're ok. yeah just use regular swimwear and if they say anything state baby is potty trained
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#22 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
so if you EC you're ok. yeah just use regular swimwear and if they say anything state baby is potty trained
Posted via Mobile Device
I mentioned this at the board meeting. And they said fine, but if we were caught lying, we would be found liable and would have to pay to have the pool cleaned, etc etc if there was an incident. The rule states that swim diapers are prohibited from the pool so if a parent with a potty-trained child wanted to put a swim diaper on their child for added insurance, they technically can't as stated by the rule. Stupid.

#23 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Gee, am I really the only one here who can understand why people wouldn't want poop in the pool??? A swim diaper keeps poo in but not pee, and therefore not 'poo juice' either. Does nobody here think that's even a little bit gross in a public pool?

The pool in our condo bldg actually has a rule against children in diapers but people ignore the rule all the time. I've frequently seen other young babies in it and I do take DD in it in her swim diaper. But I pretty much know that if somebody asked me not to do that they would totally have the right.

If there's a kiddie pool available for non-toilet-trained children I really do not think the OP has a case at all. Think about that: you're saying everybody else using the pool has to swim in toilet water bc you want to take your baby in the adult pool instead of the available kiddie pool?
I could see your point if it was just plain water, but it's not. There are chemicals that take care of it and the pool is safe.
Do you never swim in a lake? Do you think birds or other creatures never poop in teh pool?

#24 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'm with you completely.
#25 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Have you never bought clothes second hand? That could have other people's pee or poop on it too. Heck, don't touch a public door nob or guardrail!!

#26 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie* View Post
Yep, our base pool here has the same rule!! They can only use the toddler/baby pool!
Ditto, the AF base pool we go to has this rule. I hate it.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#27 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Have you never bought clothes second hand? That could have other people's pee or poop on it too. Heck, don't touch a public door nob or guardrail!!
I generally don't buy used clothes, but I certainly would wash them if I did.
#28 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
If your baby isn't likely to poop in the pool (my dd never pooped in water that I can remember), just take him in there with swim trunks. If he pees, probably no one will notice. Or would people be fiesty enough about it that they would insist that a baby that young couldn't possibly be allowed in while following the new rules?
This totally depends on the kid.. My DS pooped in water EVERY time we went swimming or took a bath from 12mo-24mo. I mean he wouldn't poop for 2 days and then the moment his body relaxed into water he'd go. When we went swimming I would always bring an extra swim diaper, stick him in the water to let him go, take him right out and change him. I didn't see how there was any other choice.. It didn't make any gross messes in the pool though.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#29 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

i know for a fact i peed in the pool a few times as a kid. sometimes it was because the cold water made me pee and i couldn't get out fast enough. sometimes it was because i was having too much fun and couldn't get out fast enough. (once it was just to test the urban myth that they put something in the water to change colours if someone peed in it. it didn't) it happens. not saying it's not gross, but you're deluding yourself if you think you are swimming in body fluids free public pool.

i sort of get their point, but kids often aren't 100% potty trained until 2-3 years old. and if they want parents to ACTUALLY "arms reach" supervise their own children, that's going to mean that any parent with multiple children is keeping them all in a little kiddie pool. that's just not feasible with an older child and a baby or young toddler.

have they tried being more specific with the parents of young swimmers? maybe some people don't understand what the limitations of swim diapers are, and think that they don't need to be frequently checking and promptly changing after a poop? i feel like a strongly worded notice or letter explaining the issues with letting a young child swim in the pool with a soiled diaper and giving instructions on how to safely use swim diapers would be a much better place to start than automatically banning swim diapers.

as far as "poo juice" goes, no pool is demanding people scrub their nether regions before getting in the water either, and who is checking to see what the hygiene standards of all the adults that use the pool are?
#30 of 82 Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
I generally don't buy used clothes, but I certainly would wash them if I did.
Exactly. And the pool water is "washed" so to speak, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post
i know for a fact i peed in the pool a few times as a kid. sometimes it was because the cold water made me pee and i couldn't get out fast enough. sometimes it was because i was having too much fun and couldn't get out fast enough. (once it was just to test the urban myth that they put something in the water to change colours if someone peed in it. it didn't) it happens. not saying it's not gross, but you're deluding yourself if you think you are swimming in body fluids free public pool.

i sort of get their point, but kids often aren't 100% potty trained until 2-3 years old. and if they want parents to ACTUALLY "arms reach" supervise their own children, that's going to mean that any parent with multiple children is keeping them all in a little kiddie pool. that's just not feasible with an older child and a baby or young toddler.

have they tried being more specific with the parents of young swimmers? maybe some people don't understand what the limitations of swim diapers are, and think that they don't need to be frequently checking and promptly changing after a poop? i feel like a strongly worded notice or letter explaining the issues with letting a young child swim in the pool with a soiled diaper and giving instructions on how to safely use swim diapers would be a much better place to start than automatically banning swim diapers.

as far as "poo juice" goes, no pool is demanding people scrub their nether regions before getting in the water either, and who is checking to see what the hygiene standards of all the adults that use the pool are?
yes yes yes to all of this!
People don't even do the "quick shower" that all the signs around the pool require. And lifeguards don't enforce it. People are FILTHY. A little pee or poop juice? boo hoo. The chemicals will get it. Seriously. I'd be more worried about the effect of the chemicals on your body!! My skin is absolutely destroyed from my 3 years lifeguarding. If I have a 15 min shower my hands are already wrinkled because my moisture barrier is pretty much non existant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page