Sleep regression? Teething? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a little soon to hit the panic button, but DD has spoiled me by being an awesome sleeper since about 5 weeks, and it being 3:30 am and the fact that she JUST fell asleep after 2.5 hours of being WIDE awake, I figured I'd do a little brainpicking since I can't sleep now.

We never experienced much day/night confusion, and with the exception of tonight, she has never woken up during the night for any reason except to nurse for maybe five minutes (and even then, she doesn't wake up more than once or twice between the hours of 9pm-6am) before going right back to sleep.

She is 12 weeks old today, btw, but was born two weeks past her due date, for what it's worth.

Last night, we put her down at 7:30 pm, on her side and unswaddled for the first time, and she slept soundly next to me til about 12:30. Then she was up with a vengeance. Not cranky at first but giggly and like haha it's playtime, mommy! She has NEVER been like that before during the night! After an hour of that and me failing to resettle her, I brought her into the living room where I rocked her, tried to put her in her rocking bassinet. She was having none of it, and kept spitting out her pacifier, another thing she never does at night--she loves that freaking thing when she's done nursing!

Her mood went downhill from there and trying to bf just annoyed her even more. The only thing that seemed to keep her from losing it was gnawing (not sucking, gnawing) on my finger--again, something she is usually uninterested in. It kind of felt like one side of her gums was protruding a bit more than the other. But when the novelty of the gnawing wore off, she started fussing, and I eventually swaddled her arms as tightly as I could, popped her in the swing, gave her a pacifier, and within a few minutes she was asleep. That's the story.

So...does this sound like sleep regression? Teething? We just started sharing a bed (she's in the crib, sidecarred) and I don't know if that change in routine is throwing her off, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
nak

every once in a blue moon DD does this. usually i just shut the light off and pretend to sleep, and *usually* that works. Or maybe I just fall asleep. We are side-carred too, fwiw.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
no advice here, but sympathies! we're going through something similar... I just posted about it here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post15617139
#4 of 4 Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ldogg--wow. yeah, it looks like I could have saved my fingers some work if I'd read your post before I wrote mine. whoops!

Let's just cross our fingers and be grateful we've been so lucky up to this point. My husband, who knows nothing about babies aside from his experience with ours, thinks sleeping through the night is normal for kids this age, even though I try to keep reminding him how spoiled we have been.

Hopefully it really is just a passing phase of disequilibrium. In any case, I am stocking up on those teething tablets today and finding me an amber necklace!

Good luck and hang in there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page