sleep times - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your baby's bed time and awake time? Do you actually wake your baby up in the morning at a set time? I've been really wanting to have set nap times for my almost 5 month old DD but we keep getting up at a different times every day so her naps always fall at a different times on the clock. Sometimes this really messes up having a set bedtime if her last nap is to close to her bed time, OR if she wakes up from her last nap to soon and then she either needs a super early bed time (6:30) or another nap and a late bedtime which isn't ideal. So i keep thinking it might be in my best interest to actually get her up at a set time but I'm not so sure how happy she will be if i wake her up from a deep sleep at 7am! Just curious about what others do. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 05:00 PM

we do wake our LO up around 6:30-7 am, just because that's when the day starts here - with one car and a husband on the train, it's just what has to happen. this has NOT provided nap regularity for us but it does seem to keep bedtime consistent (approx 13 hrs after first waking).

she acts all confused and cute and has baby bedhead when we get up in the morning. doesn't seem to impact her mood, usually she's down again in about an hour.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM

I follow the "never wake a sleeping baby" mantra myself. However, Cecilia's the first baby; I imagine the next one might get woken up when he or she is not ready yet by a toddler! But Cecilia has a fairly decent sense of self-scheduling. She goes to bed and wakes up at approximately the same time every day naturally. I just follow her cues for naps and bedtime!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I follow the "never wake a sleeping baby" mantra myself. However, Cecilia's the first baby; I imagine the next one might get woken up when he or she is not ready yet by a toddler! But Cecilia has a fairly decent sense of self-scheduling. She goes to bed and wakes up at approximately the same time every day naturally. I just follow her cues for naps and bedtime!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Hell no! Sorry....My baby is 7 months now and I haven't gotten a okay night's sleep since she was 3 months old. She hit that 4 month sleep regression and now she can be up anywhere from 1-3 hours every night!

It really sounds worse on paper....(computer?)

So, now that it's summer, I sleep in as long as possible.

I think as your baby gets older, it will be much easier to get a more schedule-thing going on for naps.

Julia didn't give up her third nap of the day until about as she was turning 7 months. She just takes her morning nap about 2-2.5 hours after she wakes up and generally between 1:30-3:00 for an afternoon lay down.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 AM

we don't have a schedule that i make routine here. kaine has always been pretty good at falling asleep for the night around 9/10PM(with some help, like patting his back or something), but by that time he is ready for bed anyway. he will wake once or twice during the night because he's hungry but goes back to sleep, where he'll slumber until 6:00/6:30/7:00AM(it varies around these times).

during the day he naps once or twice for about an hour/hour 1/2 each time. he is 8 months now.

i don't wake him. i tried it ONCE and boy did i regret it.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 AM

I don't really worry about sleep times/nap times etc. I would if I had to work, be somewhere at a specific time, etc. But I am just going by her timing and she seems to take care of her needs better that way. She is 5 months now and tends to get up with the sun (damn sun rises at 3 am NOW!!!!) So we have to be diligent to shut our rouladens at night (even though we have no AC, I wake up at 2am to shut them! GAH Germany!) So now she will sleep until about 7-8 am. She'll nap around 1.5 hours later. SOmetimes for 30 minutes, sometimes for 3 hours. She'll nap about 2.5 hours after that, again sometimes for 30 minutes, sometimes for 3 hours. If she had a late nap she'll go to bed later and thus sleep later. She is an interesting pickle. I used to fight it and be like, it's nap time, you should be tired! But then I realized she was humming, squirming, etc and not at ALL tired. Now she lets me know by two yawns that she is tired. If I go by the double yawn I can almost always get her to sleep by laying her down and nursing her. Pretty painlessly in comparison to the old times where she fought my imposing schedule! hahaha I just figured she HAD to be tired. I think we don't give babies enough credit. They seem to eat when they need to, sleep when they need to etc. We just have to look at their cues and understand them.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
ds usually goes to bed around 9 and is up at 6 or so to eat, then goes back to sleep for an hour or so (whenever dd wakes us up ) Naps are not at a specific time, but he usually has a good one in the morning and afteroonn with various cat naps in between. I am lucky that I am a SAHM, so I rarely wake him for anything. Dd isn't in any activities this summer, so we kind of just go with the flow WE are also lucky that overall ds is a really good sleeper and has regulated himself very well. Dd was much more scattered for a long time! I should probably knock on wood writing this...

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM

DD wakes up at 6am no matter what so her bedtime is 6:30-7

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM

My 7 week old goes to bed at around 11 and doesn't get up until 10 (well, she wakes to eat 2-3x but goes right back to sleep - we cosleep) I would really like to shift that whole thing a few hours earlier but am not sure how. I tried once to wake her but she just feel back asleep 3o minutes later and slept till 10:30 :-)

We have a fussy period at night and I nurse her to sleep but she wakes up as soon as she comes off. At that point (~10:30pm) she is normally happy but very awake while I am not at all in the mood to be awake. I don't really care about getting a schedule during the day since I'm at home and it is just her. Any suggestions?

User Tag List