yet another first shoes thread... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've looked several places and i want some gender neutral shoes. i do not want to have to look at "boy shoes" or "girl shoes." i just want something nice for my getting-ready-to walk babe! any ideas?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM

I went with Robeez. I got DD two pairs when she turned one. Before that, no shoes.

I got mine on Amazon when they had a sale. There are a lot of good brands, though, so I expect you'll get some good advice from the others.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#3 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM

I've been obsessed with shoes with this little one.

Right now my crawler/cruiser is wearing robbeez (they are gender neutral). But there are TONS of cute robeez like shoes on Etsy.

See Kai Run has some cute ones, Soft star shoes: http://www.softstarshoes.com/. I have some pedoodles, but they're older and aren't the best. They come off too easily, but they are gender neutral.

I really think robbeez type shoes are the best until they're 15 months or so, and then still something very soft...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#4 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

if you want shoe shoes and not slippers, I have been considering one of these styles
#5 of 23 Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 PM

Preschoolians makes a nice white shoe for early walkers. Enough to protect their feet, but still very soft and flexible.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
See Kai Run has some cute ones, Soft star shoes: http://www.softstarshoes.com/.
those are exactly what i was looking for! too bad there's no red, though

#7 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
those are exactly what i was looking for! too bad there's no red, though
Softstarshoes will make them in any color you want if you go through the custom order section. I got shoes for myself from them and it is really easy to do a custom order.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#8 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM

This was 6 years ago, so maybe this has changed, but the 'regular' stride rite shoes were WAAAY too stiff for a newly walking baby IMO.

See Kai runs are super flexible, soft and are "real" shoes not slippers.

But that is merely my humble 2 cents.

#9 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Isabooties are a great alternative to Robeez.
#10 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
This was 6 years ago, so maybe this has changed, but the 'regular' stride rite shoes were WAAAY too stiff for a newly walking baby IMO.

good to know. I ordered some see kai run shoes on babysteals yesterday. I hadn't been to stride rite to check them out yet.
#11 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
good to know. I ordered some see kai run shoes on babysteals yesterday. I hadn't been to stride rite to check them out yet.
Yeah, they were like too stiff to even get on my little one! But that was with my now 6 yo son. I know they also make a "crawling to walking" shoe, that looks really flexible. But I don't know if they still makes those or what.

See Kai runs are great-- soft, sturdy, a great shoe (not too expensive.)

#12 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
Isabooties are a great alternative to Robeez.
yeah that! We love our Isabooties!
~maddymama
#13 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM

I've been looking around for DS's shoes already and he's only 4.5M! For my ODS, I bought the Target brand of Robeez and they worked great. I think I'm going to look at those, Bobux, Pedipeds or SKR smaller (http://www.seekairun.com/cgi-bin/com...n&key=CAMPBELL)

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#14 of 23 Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
tzs

my dd has super tiny feet. she's still in 0-6 robeez and a size 1 in "shoes" and she's 10 months. all the pre-walkers seem to start at 3 or 4.
she's going to be walking before her feet are big enough for soled shoes it seems! what to do?

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#15 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
my dd has super tiny feet. she's still in 0-6 robeez and a size 1 in "shoes" and she's 10 months. all the pre-walkers seem to start at 3 or 4.
she's going to be walking before her feet are big enough for soled shoes it seems! what to do?
That was just like DS1. He had/has tiny feet. When he first started walking around 12 months he was still in size 0-6 month Robeez. I just kept him in those or Pedipeds for the first couple of years. When he was 3 he finally fit into regular SKRs. But we try to do bare feet as much as possible.
#16 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Bare feet!

There's no developmental reason to not let her learn to walk in bare feet. Pretty much all website advocate learning to walk barefoot, even Robeez' own site.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#17 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM
tzs

no for sure. we do barefeet in the summer even though her robeez are so super cute. i make the sacrifice of fashion. i'm just thinking she's going to start walking sometime close to or in the winter so she'll need shoes for outside.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#18 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
There's no developmental reason to not let her learn to walk in bare feet. Pretty much all website advocate learning to walk barefoot, even Robeez' own site.
They do keep socks from getting holes in them when walking outside in 45 degree weather, however, which is nice. Of course, I see you are in Arizona, Cecilia.

Hildare, I have a pair of plain brown leather Robeez that both my girls wore and that will be great for a boy. I love them. They match everything except Christmas dresses pretty much!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#19 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for suggestions everyone!
we are barefoot, i'm a barefoot lovin' mama.. i am trying to plan ahead for walking in cool weather, and also times outdoors.
i know i am just a huge crank, but it totally annoys the stink out of me to look for things like shoes and hats and have to choose whether i want designated "boy" or "girl" ones on a website. Their feet aren't different... what's different are the sparkles or lack of them, or availability of pinkness. Simply trying to buy shoes shouldn't raise my blood pressure quite so much, kwim?! i try to only goodwill it for the most part, where everything is just "kid's," but this shoe thing is majorly stressing me out.
sorry for the mini-rant. those were nice shoes everyone shared

#20 of 23 Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM

check out www.bobux.com they are the original.
I love, love love them, but my mum is from New Zealand,. so I am a little biased
they have great designs, they wear really well also, which is great for subsequent children and if you go to www.retail me not , you can get a 20% off coupon code, and they will ship free also, and it is super quick.

Off the subject, but I have a merino cardigan for ds from them, and it is awesome.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#21 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
MJB

Quote:
We don't do soled shoes until 3ish. My middle child learned to ride a 2-wheeler in leather soled shoes.
#22 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:

We got my ds's forst shoes at stride rite - and they were PERFECT for an early walker (he was 8.5mo when he was walking - he never cruised).

ETA - these are the ones we got. We liked the brown and blue, but they also have other, more neutral colors. THey were absolutely perfect - everything else we tried on him he couldn't walk in at all, but these he was up and walking right away. http://www.striderite.com/shopping/p...767&sColor=673
#23 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

i finally ordered some soft stars yesterday!!! i love their website and it just doesn't irritate me. the cost kind of made me wait until it finally got cold but i'm excited to get them in the mail. thanks for the recommendations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page