"Late" teething? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a late teether?

DS is eight months old, and no teeth in sight. His gums are a little bumpy and our ped said at a recent visit that the teeth were "right there" but I haven't noticed any signs that teeth are imminent. He's has some of the teething symptoms for months now - drooling, biting things - but hasn't really had the unexplained fussiness I was expecting.

I'm not worried - everyone gets teeth somehow! - just wondering if any other babes are holding out for that first tooth?
#2 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM

DD just got hers at 9 months. Apparently, the later they get them the stronger the teeth. My pediatrician said the latest he ever saw was 17 months!

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#3 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM

My nephew was 11 months, his mom was worried he would turn one with no teeth.

I have the opposite issue, my babies get teeth early, DD was 3.5 months.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#4 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Saw this in new posts. I no longer have a "babe". Hes almost 2 and STILL getting teeth. His K9s are just popping through, and he only has 3 1 year molars. He has his front four, and thats about it. 2!! The kid is almost 2!!!!

My older son had all of his teeth, including 2 year molars, before he was 18 months.
#5 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tway View Post
DD just got hers at 9 months. Apparently, the later they get them the stronger the teeth. My pediatrician said the latest he ever saw was 17 months!
This was definitely not true in our case. My DS did turn 1 with no teeth. He started getting them soon after, and ended up having the top 4 front teeth capped by the time he was 2 years old. They just disentegrated. They were not strong teeth at all.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#6 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
13.5 months here. No teeth. Not even an edge.

My MIL says she was 2!!!! before she had teeth?!

Anyway I don't have a problem with it. I find the gummy smile endearing and it's one less thing to worry about with nursing.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#7 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM

DS was 9 months when he got is first...10 months on his second and then NOTHING until 12-13 months (when he got 6 in a month's time)

My mom tells me that I was a late teether...MIL says DH was too. The only thing I remember is being jealous when all of my friends were losing teeth before me!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#8 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tway View Post
Apparently, the later they get them the stronger the teeth.
I'm going to choose to believe this. I had awful teeth as a child, while DH got his first and only cavity at age 30. I'll take any sign I can get that DS inherited DH's teeth and not mine!
#9 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM

late here too at 8 months. last ped visit ours said we'd be seeing teeth very soon. that was a month ago.

we are having an unexplained fussiness here however... and i do feel a bump on the top right of his gums, but still nothing has emerged from the spot after 5 days, so IDK.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#10 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 03:34 PM

My daughter was totally toothless until 9 months old...when she promptly got six teeth in three weeks. I wanted to die it was so bad; she was just miserable.

I guess she is going to stay with the all!at!once! pattern because all four first year molars broke through this week and and the canines are lurking just beneath the surface. I keep telling myself that at least this way it will all be over with at once.

Beth, wife to Cass and SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09...and now also mom to a second wee girlie 2/6/12. Nursing with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid.

#11 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM

ds just got his first two teeth at 10 months old. he isn't a drooler and had no signs except being fussy and biting me (ouch!)
#12 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM

DD was over 11 months at first tooth. Mom says I was past my first birthday--and I was still losing teeth in high school!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#13 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Not my own kids, but I have one friend who's babe will be 1 this month and just cut the first tooth. Another friend has a baby who is 14 months and just cut the first tooth last week.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#14 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM

dd got her first tooth around 9.5 mo, and the second shortly after. she's 1 next week and not another tooth in sight.
#15 of 23 Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 PM

Wyatt got his first tooth at 11.5 months, then a second shortly after. Not another tooth in sight until 13 months, and then he got 4 all at once! That was a bad weekend. Now he's 16 months, and just getting his seventh tooth in now.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#16 of 23 Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM

my first 2 started cutting teeth at 5 months. Not this baby. She's 8 months as well and no sign of teeth in site. She sure can gum the heck out of anything she wants to eat however! I'm actually kind of glad for a very selfish reason. Now when she starts cutting teeth I can rotate the tylenol and ibuprofin and hopefully keep her out of pain and thus me from wanting to hide in a closet! Also she's capable of putting and holding a teething ring in her mouth. My 5 month olds weren't. I too have heard the longer they stay in! Nothing I can do about it either way!

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#17 of 23 Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM

DS is nearly 10 months, and we can see a definite bum now. and an increase in fussyness.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#18 of 23 Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 PM

My daughter at 4 teeth by 9 months, but DS is almost that age and has NONE! Last time we were at the ped, she checked his gums and said they were soft and didn't think he'd have any soon. Which is ok as far as nursing, but man, I wish he has some teeth for chewing is food, because everything he eats is still chunky when it gets to the other end.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#19 of 23 Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post
Wyatt got his first tooth at 11.5 months, then a second shortly after. Not another tooth in sight until 13 months, and then he got 4 all at once! That was a bad weekend. Now he's 16 months, and just getting his seventh tooth in now.
: mine is a wyatt too
#20 of 23 Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well crap, I think I spoke too soon... I think we're teething over here.
#21 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
My daughter at 4 teeth by 9 months, but DS is almost that age and has NONE! Last time we were at the ped, she checked his gums and said they were soft and didn't think he'd have any soon. Which is ok as far as nursing, but man, I wish he has some teeth for chewing is food, because everything he eats is still chunky when it gets to the other end.
I TAKE IT ALL BACK. This morning he woke up with 2 teeth!!

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#22 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM

My second child got his first tooth at 10 months. He really didn't have any symptoms until about 2 days before the tooth came out. My first child had her first tooth in at 6 months and for about a month prior to that she was a mess. This third child is 4.5 months and has been having teething symptoms for 2 months with nothing to show yet!

Teething is one of those things that you just can't predict when it will happen. According to my mom, I didn't have my first tooth until like 14 months!

Mama of three.

#23 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM

My son is 22 months and only has 6 teeth at this point. 2 top, 2 bottom, and 2 one year molars (luckily on the same side). That's it. And it doesn't look like he's getting anymore anytime soon.

Basically there is nothing you can do except stop worrying about teeth. My son definitely has a unique smile, but he can literally eat everything (including things like pretzels since he's got those two molars...) and it does not impede him at all. I give him whole sandwiches and he devours them. I give him all kinds of meat that I wouldn't think he could chew, but he does. It's amazing. Kids adapt. Don't worry.

We haven't taken him to the dentist yet (probably pretty soon), but if they do x-rays and decide that he just doesn't have any more baby teeth....well....there's not much we can do about that either. Although, I do hope he does have all his teeth. Keep your fingers crossed.

SAHM mom to 3 wonderful kids!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page