What furniture do we really need? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. What I was trying to point out (probably pretty badly) is that the term "essential" itself is what I think differs from person to person. I still think it's a good idea for the OP to consider waiting until her baby comes to see what she needs. What was essential for me or for anyone else might not be for her.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 AM
jdg

I agree with others to wait before buying if you can.

For the first two weeks, Francesca was either in our arms or sleeping on us in our bed. We had some stuff, but just didn't want to put her down. We did try the crib, which is sidecarred to the bed, but she wouldn't sleep in it (though she does now, and I'm very glad to have it).

She "told" us what she wanted. She loved swinging motions that we made and our arms would wear out before she was asleep, so we bought her a swing. She wanted to suck constantly and I was becoming extremely sore from it, so we bought pacifiers. She loved being snuggled tightly and/or worn in the Ergo or Moby to sleep, and so we now use swaddling blankets regularly for sleeping. And so on.

I will say that a dedicated space for changing has been hugely helpful. Our system is a bookshelf that has those cloth bins on it, one bin for blankets, one bin for clothes, one bin for diapers, and one bin for burp rags and such, and then wipes and pacifiers and random odds and ends on top. We have a pack-n-play (mostly because I was afraid of her being trampled by the dog if I left her on the floor) with a bassinet insert and use that as a changing table right next to the shelves. It works for us, and when she's older the bookshelf can go in her room with books on it.

Jackie
Old 07-18-2010, 02:34 AM

honestly...

we have a crib that we don't even use. the only other thing in there is a dresser(which is also not used). all the clothes pretty much end up with my and DH's stuff, it's just easily accessible that way. We used to have a little stand from like 0-2 months that had burp rags, rags, and swaddling blankets on it, but those things too simply ended up with my and DH's stuff. now we don't even use the nursery room much. i go in there maybe once or twice every 2 weeks or so to drag a toy out of there(like the excersaucer, walker, or sometimes on rare occasion the play mat). we have used the room to store those things, and the stroller/swing(that isn't used often anyway, not yet).

i thought i needed a bunch of stuff to make the nursery complete when i was pregnant; i decorated it, had the crib setup, dresser in there, a nice stand with stuff on it, stuffed animals and safari theme... everything... and i soon found out that for us it was hardly worth it. -- we also didn't invest in a changing table(they simply get too expensive, and i doubt the room would have been able to accommodate one anyway). We bought a portable changing table for like $10 at walmart that folds up. if we need it just unfold it and wallah, a changing table, simple as pie.

but ya, a lot of the things i thought i would need when pregnant, or "had to have ASAP" for a nursery... i'm now glad i didn't invest much more than we already had, because to be quite honest, i doubt i would have even used it.

when our baby gets old enough to have his own room then we'll focus more on investing more.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I just wanted to say instead of a changing table we got a dresser that you can put a changing pad on. That way it's not a single use type item and you can use it when the child is older.

We got a stroller and find that we hardly ever use it. When we go into a store DS is now big enough to sit in the cart but before then I wore him in a sling or the Ergo or carried him. I've really only found the stroller useful on one ocassion where we went on a long walk outside and DS was content in it. More often that not he doesn't seem to care for it. Again, dependent on the baby.

Wife to an awesome stay at home dad and mama to a crazy 2 year old, expecting #2 Jan 3

Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM

a dresser is a must (tiny socks, shoes, burp clothes, accesories, etc don't store well in big closets). I would have liked a rocker glider but we didn't buy one.
The babe slept with us until they went into their own bed. We changed diapers on our bed (had a waterproof pad), on the couch or on the floor. We had a changing pad for the dresser but liked the baby laying in front of us vs. to the side.

We were gifted a pack and play and crib that were never used. We decorated a room that stored clothes and diapers since the baby was never in there. We finally packed away the crib after a year. It was more of a storage room than anything. Though each family is different.

Baby gear we used and loved- swing with music, stroller for long walks (for naps or bedtime), slings & carriers, bouncy chair (though that only lasted maybe 5-6 months), Boppy nursing pillow (though haven't tried other brands), space saver high chair once babe is eating solids (a purchase that can be made later on). Baby gear that ended up being a waste of money- diaper genie (even before we switched to cloth it was easier to toss in trash instead), bumbo chair and baby gym.

See what gear items you can get used before paying full price or if this is your 1st babe and you know you'll have more babies, buy GN and store it safely. That's what we did for 90% of our stuff.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would buy what you want when you decide that you are going to want to use it. We have no nursery and no furniture for our babies to speak of. We bedshare and I change them right on the bed. Clothes and diapers go into a few baskets on the floor.

We have had a few play seats and jumpers that they can play in before they are mobile.

A glider would be nice if we had the room.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 PM

I love my changing table! We used it with DS until he was 2! So for us, a changing table, dresser, diaper pail. Somewhere to store diapers can be the laundry basket if you are using cloth (at least that's where mine always stay)

If it is your first child and you don't have pets, I don't think you really need a crib or bassinet in the beginning. Your baby will be small enough to put in the middle of your bed, on the couch, on the floor, or in a laundry basket filled with blankets the first couple months. As you live with your baby you can see what kind of stuff would work best for you. To save money, check out rummage sales and craigslist.

Mama to three

Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
on the couch, on the floor, or in a laundry basket filled with blankets the first couple months
I hope you don't mean these as suitable sleeping places.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I hope you don't mean these as suitable sleeping places.
no, i meant them as suitable put the baby down so you can make a sandwich or go pee places. and i am obviously talking about newborns that don't roll over or move much and put pillows or other barriers around them...etc...

although my daughter has slept on the floor of the bathroom while I took a bath. and on the couch while i sat next to her on the computer. and in a laundry basket while i played on the floor with my son.

Mama to three

Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
no, i meant them as suitable put the baby down so you can make a sandwich or go pee places. and i am obviously talking about newborns that don't roll over or move much and put pillows or other barriers around them...etc...
Gotcha... just didn't want some mom wandering by here and thinking a couch was a suitable replacement for a crib or family bed, if ya kwim.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM

In my house, in the necessities are a crib, changing table, and somewhere to rock the baby when she was a newborn (we have a glider and a recliner and they're both awesome for this). We used a pack n play in our bedroom for the first 6 months and then transitioned her to a crib in her own room. The changing table is a must, ime. Changing her in the floor or anywhere BUT the changing table is hard on my back. I've honestly never changed her in the floor here at home once--so much easier at her changing table. I found a tall one (because I'm pretty tall) and it's also nice to have everything in one spot.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Specific baby furniture? Nothing. For our first we had a change table because it was good for storing diapers. This time around we don't even have that because we don't have room. The baby will sleep in our bed, we'll keep his/her clothes in the dresser with my daughter's, and change the baby on the floor.

Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have anything. Cribs can come in handy even if you co-sleep. I wish we had room to side-car one to the side of our bed for more space! Think through what kind of choices you think you're going to make and buy things based on your decisions and values -- and then be prepared to change your mind I think it's almost inevitable that we make a purchase or two that we never use or end up buying something we thought was ridiculous but suddenly seems less so after the baby arrives.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
We used a high chair, but in hindsight I think we didn't even need that. Ours was very simple, none of these 3-reclining-positions garbage jobbies (I mean, WTH? You're not supposed to do solids until the kid is old enough to sit up on their own, it's a major safety hazard to recline a baby while feeding! What's supposed to be the purpose of these?) But when we moved, we switched to a booster seat at the table, and found that just as easy as the high chair had been, and one less big piece of furniture to have around.

Oh, and it isn't "furniture" but you don't need baby food either...
Hehe -- we loved the booster seat we got my daughter and bought it specifically because it reclined. She loved to watch me cook and clean in the kitchen and she couldn't get a good view in the bouncy seat. She was way too little to sit upright so I got her a booster seat so she could see better but stay in a more reclined position. We never used it for food until she was well over 6 months old, but it was great because she could actually see more than when I was wearing her on my back.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM

If you are planning to co-sleep, then all you need is something for thier clothing. We use the top of the dresser to change dd2 now but when she was little, I just used our bed with a pad under her.

If you aren't planning to co-sleep then a crib/playpen/bassinet is probably needed. And to be totally honest with both my kids, one of those bouncy type chairs were great for when I was showering or cooking and they were still too little to just put on the floor.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had also heard from some friends how useless a changing table was, but for us we find it essential. I store all the diaper and breastfeeding stuff in the drawers, and it's much easier to change on a raised surface than on the floor.

Also essential is a cupboard for all his clothes and blankets and whatnot.

Besides that we have a hammock which is good for naps, and a glider chair which is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfy for feeding and just relaxing. Our baby sometimes gets all squirmy in the wrap, plus it's been 100+ heatwave (without air-con), so babywearing is on hold for now in this house. So we've found the bouncy seat to be great for when we cook and eat, the baby loves to just sit peacefully and watch. We also have a sidecar bed for him, but haven't used it yet, so I wouldn't say it's essential, but we are holding onto it and may try it out, so we'll see.

One thing that is not furniture but I find essential is a breastfeeding cushion. I have a Boppy and love it! You can also use it to nest your baby in on the floor. I also have a BrestFriend cushion which I like too.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 PM

hammock is really a good choice, it won't take space and you can always take it off when you do not use it.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM

for us: a place for babe to sleep (started out in bed with us, moving to crib later), someplace to put baby's clothing (for us a couple of crates that stacked, or a nightstand), place for baby to sit at meal times (a booster that sits on a kitchen chair). We don't use a changing table - had one and gave it to my mil to have at her house for the other grandkids.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM

I borrowed a co-sleeper for our bedroom, bought a dresser, got a pack n play as a gift. Everything else is icing on the cake in my book. Changing tables are nice but definately (spelling?) a luxury item, not really necessary. I have never used one.

Me married to a biker DH with DS (16) and DD (1).  caffix.gif

Quote:
Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride.

User Tag List