What furniture do we really need? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our first baby and I'm clueless about setting up a nursery. I don't have any plans to really decorate until the baby gets older so for now I'm wondering what the essentials are. Crib? Changing table? What should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks!
#2 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 AM

The only thing I found we really needed was a crib (we co-slept when my twins were smaller but they prefer their own space now that they're older) and dresser for baby clothes. We picked up a nice wooden dresser with a low profile and attached a changing pad to the top of that.
Changing tables are pretty useless after a couple years, I didn't really see the point in buying a piece of furniture I'd only use for a short time.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#3 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
L J

I didn't have one single thing with my older son. We did just fine, but this time around, I want two pieces. One place that is safe to lay baby for naps (a crib or pack and play thingy) and somewhere to sit him while I shower (travel swing or bouncer).

We always changed on the floor, co-slept, and I didn't believe in laying my oldest down - ever. LOL. I don't have that luxury this time with a nearly 4 year old, and really, I think life would have been easier hand I been able to make a sandwich with two hands sometime in those first few weeks because we got babywearing down pat.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#4 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM

For DD, the essential things were a dresser for her clothes & diapers and a diaper pail. I also enjoyed her swing, but it was free and only used for a short time. She went through a 3-4 hr nap phase in august of her first year and she was very happy to sleep in the swing for those long periods. Since we don't have a/c and it was HOT, I was happy to have a break from babywearing for a few hours while she contentedly slept, though I could have managed without. She was worn pretty much the rest of the time, and then slept in my bed. Her crib is sidecarred but hasn't gotten much worthwhile use.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#5 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM

For me, the most important "pieces" are a place to stash clothes and a place to stash diapers.

I haven't "done" a nursery since my first baby (just moved 2nd, and then 3rd, into his room, which was no longer a "nursery". #4 doesn't even have a room, lol.) #4 and, eventually, #5 just get plastic drawers for clothes, and we use baskets for diapers.

I never used my changing table, and haven't used a crib for a newborn/infant since #2. I did put #3 in a crib toward the end of her 1st year.

Rocking chairs/gliders are a very nice thing to have if you have the space for one.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#6 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM

someplace for the baby to sleep - doesn't have to be a crib unless that is what you want. And someplace to store clothes

I had a baby changing pad, and put it on the dresser, but the pad ripped and got all gross, and I think I had to toss it which killed me (ugh - sitting in a dump somewhere) I didn't even use it that long. Plus then you have to worry about the baby falling off after they are able to roll. Just change them on the floor!

a bouncy seat or swing or rocker is nice for the shower. I believe in baby wearing, but you'll need a shower whenever you can get one, so they are nice for that.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#7 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

I read about useless changing tables were and so didn't get one with DS right away. That was a big mistake for us! My back hurt when I hunched over to change him, and eventually got one. It was so much easier, and we got one really cheap from Ikea, so it wasn't a big expense.

Last time we had a crib, and that proved to be useless. He slept in bed with us and he wouldn't even nap in it. At first he napped in his cradle, then he napped in our bed, so the crib was pointless. This time we are holding off buying a crib until we see if this baby will need one or not.

We also the bouncy chair, the swing, and a bumbo seat. All of these came in handy with Ds because he did not like to be worn around the house (only outside of the house) but liked to be near me. Not sure what this baby will need though, but we saved everything just in case.
#8 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM

I did like my changing table. We are currently using it as a bookshelf (those books with have to find a new home soon) You really dont "need" anything. This time around I am getting a co sleeper, and a nap nanny. We already have a crib, but I got rid of everything else long ago. Oh and I'd like to get another boppy since our last one is quite deflated LOL

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#9 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Moved to LWAB

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#10 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM

We didn't buy any furniture.

G-parents bought a co-sleeper, which was very nice, but not essential.

Quote:
Last time we had a crib, and that proved to be useless. He slept in bed with us and he wouldn't even nap in it.
This was our experience with the co-sleeper. DH put him in it to take a shower when they were alone together. It served as a GREAT bedside table for all of my middle-of-the-night nursing needs.

We used a changing pad on top of the dryer; the shelf above the dryer served as diaper storage. This system worked GREAT for us, as it was the perfect height for our backs, and right next to the washer to dump dirty clothes and diapers into. We did have a diaper pail, a swing-lid garbage pail from the container store.

DS's clothing was stored in one-two of my dresser drawers.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM

I love having a changing table-- it's just a portion that sits on top of Cecilia's dresser, so when she is PL'ed we can just take it off. Our diaper pail (cloth diapers) is a garbage can with a washable liner in it.

Our crib is a hand-me-down, and makes a lovely cat bed, since Cecilia only sleeps with us or in the swing.

The swing is the only piece we splurged on. It's one of those complicated Fisher Price ones that can swing side to side or back and forth. We bought it specifically because it has an A/C adaptor so we weren't spending a fortune on batteries. To my surprise, Cecilia actually sleeps better swinging side to side, so that's an added bonus too.

We also have one of those little bouncy chairs. Cecilia won't sleep in it, but she likes to play in it. I think it or a swing is a great thing to have if you want to shower alone. Though, for the most part, I either shower with Cecilia or if it's hair wash time (I wash my hair once a week) I do it when my husband's home.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#12 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM

We used the most, but I don't know if we needed it all.
an exerciser ball to rock and bounce on (SUCH a life saver!!!!)
a glider
dresser (was given one that was a dresser/changing table)
swing (for 2 months)
trashcan with closing lid

Other than that a moby wrap...

Later an exersaucer was great

DS didn't like bouncer, doesn't sleep in crib and I think thats it...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#13 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM

we have a crib... it's a great all purpose baby holder she does sleep in it now, and likes to play/hang out in it more than i thought she would.

we definitely needed a dresser, i'm glad we got a big one cause it holds everything. we're low on storage space, so it has all the clothes she's currently wearing, clothes she is going to grow into soon, all the diapers and changing stuff, toys, baby carriers, extra blankets/sheets etc. the changing pad (inflatable one from IKEA) goes on top and it's a nice enough piece of furniture to keep for a long time.

if we had space i'd definitely get a rocker or glider for the newborn months... not as necessary now. we had an exercise ball that got a lot of use, plus a bouncy chair that lives in the kitchen and gets used while i make dinner, we'll probably switch to a highchair soon, since again, we don't have space for more than one baby holder!

oh yeah, and we had a step-can for diapers, and a small step-can for random trash. there is a bookcase that will be repurposed for baby books and toys fairly soon, but it's in the hallway now.
#14 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM

A place for baby to sleep - crib, pack-n-play, or co sleeper - even if you co-sleep, it is nice to have a separate sleeping place for the baby on occasion. We use our crib for naps, and part of night time (that part during which DH and I are still awake). We also really liked our co-sleeper, but put it away when DS turned 7 mos and I felt more comfortable having him in our bed for the whole night.

A place for clothes, a shorter dresser to which you can put a changing pad on top is nice - we have this - but we rarely use it for diaper changes. The cat liked it though.

A comfy nursing chair with ottoman. This can be a glider, a rocking chair, an arm chair. Next time I may just splurge and get a comfy recliner!

We use a basket for diapers (cloth and disposables, when we did 'sposies). Though I am on the lookout for a better storage option!

But that's it, and we could have done with less, I suppose, but these made life easier!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#15 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow, this is all extremely helpful. Thanks, you all!
#16 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM

The only thing we needed was a changing table. I thought we could do without one, changing on the bed and whatnot, but life is MUCH easier with one. Our backs were hurting, we had to worry about pee in inappropriate places. If you can afford it, I recommend one.
#17 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM

i would just say start small, you can always add later depending on what your baby likes. as you can see from PPs comments, different babies like different things!

as far as changing -- we have a wonderful utility sink in our laundry room. the changing area is on the counter next to the sink with a step can for dipes & one for trash, and a laundry hamper w/in throwing distance. open shelves above hold all our babycare stuff, along with a diaper stacker on the wall. I LOVE our changing station, mainly because everything is set up to be within arm's reach...and in case of a major blowout we can just rinse babe off in the sink!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#18 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We never bought a crib. DS wouldn't sleep in the pack-n-play, so why bother with a crib? We kept it around for a while for the changing area, as well as a place to keep clothes. When he got too big for that (or had too many clothes - not sure which came first), I bought a low dresser with a surface large enough for continued diaper changing. We are following the same pattern now with DD. We also had two diaper setups, for cloth and disposable.

DS always nursed to sleep, so he napped in bed. DD usually requires rocking. So I'd say my glider (and ottoman) is essential furniture! I never got a swing, but the bouncy chair in the bathroom has been useful.

I think that's about it. I have a moby but only use it on special occasions.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#19 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Just change them on the floor!
I'll change on the bed or sofa, if I have to, but changing on the floor is for when I'm out visiting! Maybe it's because I'm an older (and creakier) Mom, but I like having a dedicated standing-height place to change baby's diapers. For us, it's a counter in our mudroom, on the other side of the utility sink and washer/dryer. It's great to have the washer right next to the diaper pail, and DD's diapers get changed way more often there than they do upstairs where we sleep.

DD2 is the fifth baby in the family to use our co-sleeper and has been happiest in it the longest. I think this is because I put a bassinet mattress in it this time, on top of the cosleeper mattress. Our crib isn't even put together because (a) we didn't use it with DD1 and (b) DD2's room still needs drywall work done, then paint and major cleaning!

With this baby, we bought a rocker/recliner and I really am enjoying having a special (and comfy) place to nurse. Much nicer than last time when I had a really junky used glider with a really thin cushion.

I have a bureau for her clothes, and there are baskets on top of it for receiving blankets and the endless supply of burp cloths I need for my "happy spitter."

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#20 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the only thing we really use is the rocker glider. Multiple times a day, every day! DS's stuff only takes two dresser drawers, which I got by purging my cute underwear and bras that will never fit again.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#21 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Really, the only thing that I really wound up using was the rocking chair. I have baskets for his clothes and his diapers, a diaper pail, we put the mattress on the floor and I sleep with him there, change him there or on the couch.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#22 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
tzs

if i had to do it all over again i'd get a glider.
i personally hated them, thought they were ugly, saw no need...
but my friend had one and ohhhhhh so comfy. unlike a rocker (which we have) gliding happens so effortlessly (make sure to get the ottoman!) and being in it actually put my sleep-fightin kid to sleep.
i still troll craigslist every now and then for one.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#23 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
changing table was essential for us
and we use the lower shelf for baby's clothes

and a crib- we sidecarred ours and I like it

It is also nice to have a nice place to put the baby down on the ground- like a cozy mat type thing.
We have this one :http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/snugglewool.htm and I usually lay a soft blanket or sheet over it

As ds got to be about 6 weeks on we also found g great use for a half high chair :
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3867646
we took the tray off and use it for a place for ds to sit- we put it on a table or counter so he is eye level
for an example here is a picture of my ds in the chair- about a month ago
(when he was 3 months old!) http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...giraffe003.jpg

added edit- I saw other people mentioned the swing- I think of that more as gear than furniture but also from about 6 weeks on we found it useful.
#24 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 AM

1. Crib - used it since 3 month old - DD needs her space to sleep. I tried so many times to co-sleep then finally gave up. Now we both sleep well!
2. Dresser - holds DD's clothes/diapers plus we have a changing pad on top of it.
3. Glider & ottoman - being used daily even now DD is 19 mo.
4. I do have my old desk in DD's room and put diaper genie and trash can etc on top so DD can't get to them

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#25 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The only specifically "baby" furniture we have is a changing table. My dad made it for us and we love it! It has two shelves underneath which hold all her nappy-related equiment (I bought some nice baskets in different sizes) and a slide out shelf on the side for things currently in use - nappy cream, snappis, wipes. We also have a lamp on it for night time changes and a radio cos she loves to bop away to music on the table. We also hung the mobile she was given over it as we don't have a cot.

We use a big chest of drawers we already had for her clothes but if we hadn't had that then we would have got something. It is nice to keep everything together - clothes, bunny rugs, towels, clothes which are too big. For her carriers we got a couple of those hooks which go over the top of the door and they all hang behind the door in her room.

We didn't buy our exercise ball for her (already had it) but it is great for settling her. In fact she and DH are bouncing right now

We didn't even consider buying a swing, I planned to babywear all the time, but J likes her space sometimes so we had been laying her on the lounge and sitting with her. Then our neighbour very sweetly turned up on the doorstep one day with the swing her nine month old had grown out of and, of course, it wouls have been very churlish of me to say "Thanks but no thanks". Turns out J loves it! We still do playtime on the lounge but, now and then, when she is really fractious the swing settles her instantly when we can't.

Anything we weren't sure if we'd need or not we decided not to buy until we needed it. We did do some research on big things like cots and prams so we weren't starting from scratch if we had a baby who hated co-sleeping or babywearing and we needed something quickly but, so far, we haven't needed to buy anything else.

All the best with your preparations. We had so much fun getting ready for our gorgeous girl, I hope you do too.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#26 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

we didn't buy any furniture.

we cosleep in a king-sized bed.

i EC, but when i have to change a diaper, i do it on the floor; i keep the diapers in a basket (i own 12 cloth trainers currently; on average, i used the same 12 diapers before we moved to the trainers, though i owned far more that just stayed unused) and i keep them in the bathroom. if he needed one, i would grab it on the way out of the toilet, and then change him on the floor. now he stands, so he steps into it (he's nearly two).

his clothes were kept in my dresser. i was only using 2-3 drawers anyway, so he got the other 2-3 drawers. in our current family dresser, he has one drawer, i have one, and DH has two, then we have one for socks, underwear with three dividers in it--DH, DS, and myself.

i tend to prefer to sit on the ground, so i did that, or i would just sit on our furniture. i didn't need to rock or bounce my son much. walking can put him out, if need be, but that's a rare need for him. he's always been a very calm, happy, great sleeping baby.

I personally feel like it is best to hold off until you know what you need. put the money aside, and when the baby arrives, you'll figure out what works for you and be able to get it. Unless you have to special order the crib (eg, my friend's bought there's through an amish furniture maker; it is gorgeous, but it had to be ordered 3 months in advance), you can easily buy one if you need one and have it delivered within a week. you could probably cosleep an extra week, or just do what granny did: put the baby in a dresser drawer.

this is particularly true of baby wearing things. i *love* my wraps and it's my preferred style of baby wearing, but some babies hate those things, they want the meitei or some such. funny creatures, those babies. so, meet baby wearers, get together and learn how to wear safely, and know you have a resource to try things out.

seriously though, babies don't need all that much to start out with, and when you figure out what you do need and will use, it's easy enough to get. so, that's my advice.
#27 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
I personally feel like it is best to hold off until you know what you need. put the money aside, and when the baby arrives, you'll figure out what works for you and be able to get it. Unless you have to special order the crib (eg, my friend's bought there's through an amish furniture maker; it is gorgeous, but it had to be ordered 3 months in advance), you can easily buy one if you need one and have it delivered within a week. you could probably cosleep an extra week, or just do what granny did: put the baby in a dresser drawer.

this is particularly true of baby wearing things. i *love* my wraps and it's my preferred style of baby wearing, but some babies hate those things, they want the meitei or some such. funny creatures, those babies. so, meet baby wearers, get together and learn how to wear safely, and know you have a resource to try things out.

seriously though, babies don't need all that much to start out with, and when you figure out what you do need and will use, it's easy enough to get. so, that's my advice.

Aside from a changing table, putting aside money for furniture, or asking relatives to give you money/gift cards instead of actual pieces, and waiting until the baby is there is a great idea. Like the PP, my preferred method of baby wearing is in a woven wrap (not stretchy). But I have like 5 other carriers that we tried out and just didn't work for us. If you can test drive at a store or from a friend who has different types, I'd definitely do that!

#28 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Absolutely nothing is *essential*. Anything that says otherwise is just trying to sell products.

All of the items out there have a certain usefulness. As you read in this thread, some people found that a particular item was "essential for them" -- but that's a subjective, personal need, not a generality. Other people do just fine without that item.

Even stuff that most people would say are the absolute basics, you don't really *need*. There are ways to not use them. That's not to say they don't come in handy. It's a matter of semantics... if the ways to not use them would be terribly difficult for you as an individual, then go ahead and use them. They're just not *essential*.

You might be interested in a series of blog posts I wrote, "Baby Essentials That Aren't." I address more than just 'furniture', but the whole point of the series was to question the automatic 'need' for various baby items.

You don't need diapers, you can EC. You don't need a crib, you can co-sleep and/or use a floor bed. You don't need a stroller, you can babywear. Etc etc. And you don't need a nursery at all -- just a room that can eventually be theirs when they're old enough to actually appreciate it.

Really the only thing I would suggest for almost every mom as an essential is a sling (or two or three) of some kind. It serves to replace several "furniture items" and is better for baby's development in so many ways, anyway. Once you've got that down, then everything else is just a matter of personal preference!

As for what we used... slings. Got her a toddler-bed (well it's actually bigger than a toddler, but smaller than a twin, it's an IKEA child's bed) for a safe place to sleep on her own once she was a bit older, side-carred it at first, moved it across the room when she was about 20mo, then into her own room just passed 2 years old. Had a bouncy chair, which was handy for showers, but I also took her in with me in a water sling. Didn't use it overly often.

We had a potty (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) for EC. We had a stash of cloth diapers, and training pants, and undies, kept in baskets. Put her clothes in a spare drawer in our dresser until she got her own room.

We used a high chair, but in hindsight I think we didn't even need that. Ours was very simple, none of these 3-reclining-positions garbage jobbies (I mean, WTH? You're not supposed to do solids until the kid is old enough to sit up on their own, it's a major safety hazard to recline a baby while feeding! What's supposed to be the purpose of these?) But when we moved, we switched to a booster seat at the table, and found that just as easy as the high chair had been, and one less big piece of furniture to have around.

Oh, and it isn't "furniture" but you don't need baby food either...

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#29 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
Absolutely nothing is *essential*. Anything that says otherwise is just trying to sell products.

All of the items out there have a certain usefulness. As you read in this thread, some people found that a particular item was "essential for them" -- but that's a subjective, personal need, not a generality. Other people do just fine without that item.

Even stuff that most people would say are the absolute basics, you don't really *need*. There are ways to not use them. That's not to say they don't come in handy. It's a matter of semantics... if the ways to not use them would be terribly difficult for you as an individual, then go ahead and use them. They're just not *essential*.

You might be interested in a series of blog posts I wrote, "Baby Essentials That Aren't." I address more than just 'furniture', but the whole point of the series was to question the automatic 'need' for various baby items.

You don't need diapers, you can EC. You don't need a crib, you can co-sleep and/or use a floor bed. You don't need a stroller, you can babywear. Etc etc. And you don't need a nursery at all -- just a room that can eventually be theirs when they're old enough to actually appreciate it.

Really the only thing I would suggest for almost every mom as an essential is a sling (or two or three) of some kind. It serves to replace several "furniture items" and is better for baby's development in so many ways, anyway. Once you've got that down, then everything else is just a matter of personal preference!

As for what we used... slings. Got her a toddler-bed (well it's actually bigger than a toddler, but smaller than a twin, it's an IKEA child's bed) for a safe place to sleep on her own once she was a bit older, side-carred it at first, moved it across the room when she was about 20mo, then into her own room just passed 2 years old. Had a bouncy chair, which was handy for showers, but I also took her in with me in a water sling. Didn't use it overly often.

We had a potty (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) for EC. We had a stash of cloth diapers, and training pants, and undies, kept in baskets. Put her clothes in a spare drawer in our dresser until she got her own room.

We used a high chair, but in hindsight I think we didn't even need that. Ours was very simple, none of these 3-reclining-positions garbage jobbies (I mean, WTH? You're not supposed to do solids until the kid is old enough to sit up on their own, it's a major safety hazard to recline a baby while feeding! What's supposed to be the purpose of these?) But when we moved, we switched to a booster seat at the table, and found that just as easy as the high chair had been, and one less big piece of furniture to have around.

Oh, and it isn't "furniture" but you don't need baby food either...
Err, if "nothing" is essential, how are you supposed to babywear instead of using a stroller? And what about a carseat? If you have a car and don't have a carseat, that's just a little bit illegal, isn't it?

I get what you're saying, and I agree that there are so many things that are not necessary and are really just marketing ploys, but I think convenience is a great reason to have certain things. I could change Cecilia on the floor, sure. But on the changing table I can change her more quickly and without throwing out my back. I could bounce Cecilia in my arms only when she needs calming, but the balance ball is much more regular and soothing. Why is having items for convenience's sake a bad thing?

#30 of 48 Old 07-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Err, if "nothing" is essential, how are you supposed to babywear instead of using a stroller? And what about a carseat? If you have a car and don't have a carseat, that's just a little bit illegal, isn't it?
I don't recall saying that you shouldn't get a carseat. The OP was specifically asking about nursery items. I went a little beyond the nursery, true, but not all the way to the car.

I would say that an infant bucket seat is not essential, but of course a car seat is.

And I did say that a sling is about the only thing that I would call "essential" for most people, but when you get right down to it, it isn't essential either. You CAN make do with just carrying your baby all the time rather than using a sling or a stroller. Not that I would recommend it, of course.

Quote:
I get what you're saying, and I agree that there are so many things that are not necessary and are really just marketing ploys, but I think convenience is a great reason to have certain things. I could change Cecilia on the floor, sure. But on the changing table I can change her more quickly and without throwing out my back. I could bounce Cecilia in my arms only when she needs calming, but the balance ball is much more regular and soothing. Why is having items for convenience's sake a bad thing?
If you get what I'm saying, then please don't put words in my mouth. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I said "if the ways to not use them would be terribly difficult for you as an individual, then go ahead and use them."

So at no point did I say "convenience is BAD". I just said these items are not NECESSARY because there are ways to not use them. For some people, not using them is no big deal. For other people, it makes their lives a whole lot easier using them. Making a choice to use something because it is specifically helpful in your specific situation is very different than buying and using something because you think you're "supposed" to, without even considering that there might be alternatives. Maybe the alternative would be better for you, or maybe it wouldn't -- but at least you've made an informed decision.

I found a sling to be incredibly convenient. So was our potty -- and it still is, even at 3.5yo she still sometimes wants to use her little potty. EC was incredibly convenient for us, much easier than changing diapers all the time. Others would disagree with that. We have to be careful, of course, that OUR convenience isn't a negative for the baby (ie, plopping them in a crib and sleep-training them with CIO) -- but I know that's not what we're talking about here. I love things that make my life more convenient.

But many, many people find many of the "essentials" to actually be INconvenient compared to the alternatives, once they think about it. The problem is that we often DON'T think about it, we just go with the status quo. I would find a stroller terribly inconvenient in 90% of situations, and looking around me when I'm out and about at the parents struggling with their strollers, I think they'd agree with me if they actually had the chance to think about it.

It's such a YMMV thing. There are no items that are across the board, essential for EVERY parent. Every items has pros and cons, and there are people who will honestly need a particular item that another person would find a major hassle to use. You use a balance ball and find it extremely helpful -- that's not something you see on any "baby essentials" list and most homes don't even have one. That doesn't make it a bad thing, that makes it an individual thing, and pretty much ALL baby items are individual things.

But I never said convenience is de facto bad, and I never, ever, said 'don't get a carseat'.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page