how often does your baby poop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a silly question, since every person is so different, but I'm wondering about baby's pooping patterns. My 3 month old still goes 5-10 (!!) times per day, isn't that kinda excessive? She doesn't usually seem uncomfortable (sometimes a little gassy but seems normal) and she does eat a lot, is growing very fast, etc. But I'm still kinda shocked at the sheer volume that comes out of her, and the number of times per day! Would have thought it would have calmed down a bit by now.
I have a friend whose baby is the same age but only goes once every 3-5 days, with difficulty. I feel lucky that our babe has never been constipated, and maybe she just has a fast metabolism, but she seriously went 5 times before 1pm today. What is the deal?!
She also takes really short naps, sometimes I think she wakes up just to poop. Hopefully that will all even out soon...
#2 of 19 Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM

Cecilia used to be a once a day pooper, but a couple of things have changed that. One, she likes to sit up a lot now, and that makes more poop come out. Two, she's got SO much saliva now that she poops more often from more swallowed liquid.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 AM

at 3 months my boy was poohing 2x a day. i feel so fortunate, since we recently had guests with a 3-mo old gal who filled her britches 7-10 times a day, complete with grunting and LOUD noises.

just wait, mama, in a few months you can chuck solid turds into the toilet with a mere flick of a diaper!

momma to samson, born 12/05/09 to grateful parents.
#4 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughcookie View Post
at 3 months my boy was poohing 2x a day. i feel so fortunate, since we recently had guests with a 3-mo old gal who filled her britches 7-10 times a day, complete with grunting and LOUD noises.

just wait, mama, in a few months you can chuck solid turds into the toilet with a mere flick of a diaper!
Ha ha, yes, that's my girl (the LOUD, explosive poops, although she doesn't grunt anymore, and seems so happy when she goes).
And I'm telling myself to enjoy it while they're relatively not-stinky (well, not great, but not as bad as solid food poops apparently are! )
#5 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 AM

4.5 months old anad about 5-6 poops per day.
She's been a frequent pooper since birth.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#6 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds was (is) the same way. My family doctor said it's the sign of a healthy digestive system. At 21 months he still poops 2-5 times a day.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM

My 5 mo DD went from pooping at least once per day to very sporadic. She's gone well over a week without pooping. She's not uncomfortable and when she does go, it's not hard to push out, it's just a thick paste as compared to liquid. She's still EBF and I'm sure things will change once she's eating solids.
#8 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 04:16 PM

I've got a 4mo old 2x a day boy. Sometimes 3. It has been pretty consistently 2x a day since the beginning.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#9 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 PM

I was always so jealous of moms who had breastfed babes who only pooped once every few days- until she started on solids at 5 months, V was a pooping machine! For the first 2-3 weeks, it was honestly like 12+ times a day. From then til when she started solids, it was at least 3 times a day, but usually closer to 5 or 6. It was ridiculous.

Now that she gets a fair amount of solids, she goes every other day, and it's not nearly as explosive as those 3-4 month bf poops were! However, they are a lot more stinky!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#10 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 04:50 PM

I don't remember how often at that point, but not that often, maybe 2-3 times per day. Now it's once per day. Sometimes she even skips a day. We EC so it's rarely in the diaper, which is nice. Do you think it's a problem? One of the symptoms of celiac is large volumes of poop.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#11 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM

i can't remember when it happened, but 5 mo DD went from 9-10 poops/day to 0-2/day. maybe a little older than 3 months? we never gave it much thought, she's a pretty hefty little chunk and has always been healthy, thank goodness.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#12 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM

I'd say L goes probably 2-3 times on a normal day. But sometimes more, sometimes less.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#13 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 PM

My 3.5 month old poops 1-2x a day. I'm not jealous of those of y'all that have 5+! Although maybe if they're that often they're not as...severe.

New mom to Benjamin! 4.8.10.
#14 of 19 Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlee View Post
My 3.5 month old poops 1-2x a day. I'm not jealous of those of y'all that have 5+! Although maybe if they're that often they're not as...severe.
Oh, no, they're pretty crazy! Not always, but often. Phew, maybe she's just growing incredibly fast? She started out at 6 pounds and is already at least 13 at 14 weeks...
#15 of 19 Old 07-24-2010, 06:17 AM

Depends what I have been eating! lol... Strawberries seem to make him not poop for a few days and then I get massive poos from him every half hour! lol
Normal days though - he poos about 6 times a day.
We do EC so all of these are caught in a potty.

And yeah - when they are often, they are not as sever. They are thinner for starters. If I pig out strawberries, boy is it thick like greek yoghurt! lol ...and LOADS! lol ... I perfer him pooping a handful of times per day!

To be honest...if he was in a nappy, I think he would go less. But becaues I offer him every time he needs a pee - I think he thinks 'might as well try!'. Cause sometimes he tries to do a poo and theres nothing there. So I am convinced he is just trying. (hes 13 weeks by the way)

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#16 of 19 Old 07-24-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2 View Post
My 5 mo DD went from pooping at least once per day to very sporadic. She's gone well over a week without pooping. She's not uncomfortable and when she does go, it's not hard to push out, it's just a thick paste as compared to liquid. She's still EBF and I'm sure things will change once she's eating solids.
but BOY is it a LOT of poop!!! She used to go several times a day! She has had no solids yet, either

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#17 of 19 Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM

I have four and they've all been different. My son used to go once a week. Seriously. It freaked me out as he was my first. All his Drs said it was normal and that he was utilizing his food. He's still not a big pooper (he'd kill me if he knew I was writing this as he's ten now LOL).

My current three month old used to go a lot. At about a two months it leveled it out to once or twice a day which is where we are at now. Sometimes she'll not go and then have a day where she poops four or five times.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#18 of 19 Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 PM

My 12wk ds poops 3-5x day, and they are almost always huge.
#19 of 19 Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 PM

My DS was going with every feeding, about 10-12 times a day for the first month or so, then it started to level off. Now he's almost 4 mo and he poops every few days which is really hard to get used to!

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page