Thrush in neck rolls - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My poor chubby DD (12w) has a wicked rash from thrush in her neck rolls. It sprang up pretty quick but I feel HORRIBLE. It looks terrible. I tried with the GSE for awhile but it only got worse, so we are now both on Nystatin and a 14 day course of Diflucan. We began yesterday.

How long until it starts looking better?

Can anyone give me some more advice on how to keep this away next time? I never had such bad thrush with DD1. It's the pits.
#2 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM

with the nystatin, it should be getting less angry looking today if you started yesterday. it helps pretty quickly.

it's hard to keep those neck rolls clean without irritating the skin from overcleaning. i use my homemade baby wipe solution (mostly water, with a bit of olive oil and dash of Baby Bee (his body soap), on a soft cotton cloth, to wipe his neck once in the morning, and once at night (using a different section of the cloth each time). I wash this cloth well when it's used up, so yeast can't survive at all. i tilt him back, holding him under the neck and pushing his chin back, so i can get right in the deepest crease. he thinks it's funny now that he's older.

momma to samson, born 12/05/09 to grateful parents.
#3 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 AM

DD has had that twice!
It does help to keep the neck rolls dry, I think it comes from drooling and being wet. It clears up quickly, though.
#4 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM

In between applying the Nystatin you can rinse the rolls with some vinegar and water and dry the area thoroughly.
Mixture is 1 cup water to 1tbsp vinegar. I just squeeze it on w/ a cotton ball.
#5 of 5 Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM

I just wipe it dry and use vaseline as a moisture barrier. haven't had a problem since!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page