Probiotics CAUSING constipation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Mammas!

My LO was started on probiotics when we was ill (from a vax reaction or roseola....) about a week and a 1/2 ago. He had 2 days of watery stool, which is what prompted me to start the probiotic again. It's a 1/2 teaspoon per day of Udos Probiotic for Infants.

But now- for the first time ever-- he hasn't pooped in 3 days and yesterday he had a tiny bit of what looked like dark brown clay in a clump after some gas. So- he looks to be constipated. His sleep has also been poor the last few nights (but other then that he is fully recovered and his happy active self annd has been for over a week).

So- should I quit the probiotics for a moment? He is EBF- and started eating a bit of solids about 7 weeks ago...but he doesn't eat much. (he is almost 8 months old, btw).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM

I have heard that even a little bit of solids can cause constipation. What is he eating?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well nothing the last 24 hours-- since he doesn't really "ask" for solids yet...so we haven't offered any in hopes that it would help the issue at hand. He eats sweet potatoes, pears, oatmeal, banana, peas, parsnip, chicken, etc. etc. Maybe a tablespoon per feed. Anything and everything can constipate when it comes to solid food---

We do offer a little water a few times a day-- but he doesn't take much. Perhaps an ounce per day? It doesn't matter if we use the cup, sippy cup, or bottle....btw. I had heard that a little water with the solid food could help....
#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyleah View Post

So- should I quit the probiotics for a moment? He is EBF- and started eating a bit of solids about 7 weeks ago...but he doesn't eat much. (he is almost 8 months old, btw).

well, I might be wrong, but I think the term EBF is usually reserved for babies who have not started solids as that makes them no long exclusively breast fed . I think the probiotics have nothing to do with his constipation, personally. That is not really how they work. Does he have a hard belly or is he in pain when passing gas or trying to have a bowel movement? I think any new solid could block him up a bit. I would nurse him more often if possible but continue the probiotics and if he seems uncomfortable then reevaluate.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#5 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM

FWIW DD seems to get constipated when I try to introduce a probiotic to her so I've stopped them for now. You could try slowly introducing it again. Give a 1/4 of the normal dose for a week, next week give 1/2 etc. until you are giving a full dose. It may also be the probiotic you choose and you might need to play around with the brands (not cheap but I think if you buy them at Whole Foods if you have one near you can return it even if opened).

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback peachey on different brands-Also, I thought that EBF meant that you never give formula, only breast milk....so I appreciate the correction on that one Lauren!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page