January 2010 babies - it's been half a year. How are you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 238 Old 08-01-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone, the old thread sort of died so I figured I start a new one. How is everyone doing? What are your babies up to, are they eating, crawling, sitting, sleeping, teething? How are you mamas?

Sasha is almost 7 months, wow. He is changing every day and I just love the journey. He is very happy and grinny and talkative, he is adorable when he babbles. He seems to like the daycare, so I don't feel too heartbroken when I leave him there. It helps that we cosleep and he is a reverse cycler, so evenings it's nursing nursing nursing. I was terrified of losing my supply when he started daycare but he hardly eats there and makes up for it at home so we don't have a problem.
Sasha is still pretty much EBF. He likes to suck on foods, doesn't try to swallow yet, but he loves flavors. He can sit, but has no teeth yet and his pincer grasp is just developing. So I'm not rushing it, I just offer him safe things he can suck on. We tried cherries in a mesh feeder but he had more fun waving it around and getting juice on everything. He wanted the "real" cherries instead (which were too hard to hold)
He's not crawling yet and I'm enjoying being able to set him on the floor and run to the bathroom without worrying. He does like the bouncer when I'm cooking, but most of the time when he's not held he is on the floor playing with toys with me nearby, in that position he does ok for a little bit so I can get things done. We babywear a lot too, although less around the house.
Sleeping is a hit and miss for us, but overall cosleeping is working well, and I can function during the day. DH takes the night pottying and he is more tired but I don't think he does as well with interrupted sleep. Last night was tough because Sasha seemed constipated and uncomfortable and it took more effort to get him to sleep.
I'm still about 5 pounds over my prepregnancies weight, but I'm not in a rush to lose it because I don't want to hurt my milk supply. My new job is going well and everything seems on track. I can't imagine life as it used to be anymore and I certainly don't miss it. I think the furkids are the only ones that are getting a little less attention, but they love their little brother.

My only concern right now - I think Sasha has hemorroids. is that possible? the area around his anus is red but it's different from the diaper rash in that it seems to have some harder swollen areas. I wonder if the constipation caused him to have these. I may need to start a thread about it to get some adivce.

Well, how is everyone else doing? Please share.

sleepytime.gif
#2 of 238 Old 08-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Sounds like Sasha is doing great! Glad daycare is working out well.

Ben turned 6 months yesterday. He has two little bottom teeth. He babbles a lot, it sounds like he's saying, "Blah, blah, blah!", it's hilarious. He says Mommom but I don't think he knows what it means, and he says Hi and Hello, same deal. He's just starting to be able to push himself forward in a commando crawl, he's pulled to standing precariously a couple of times, and he ate some tiny pieces of avocado today [first time eating food]. He does love an ice cube in the mesh feeder though. He stays in bed from about 10pm til about 8 or 9am, waking up 3 or 4 times to nurse, and naps 1-3 times through the day. He's relatively easy and cheerful, really curious and alert and active, too, though. He can play the kazoo [a kazoo turns baby complaining from being faintly annoying to fairly amusing ].
#3 of 238 Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 AM

What a great idea to start a new thread!!!

Olivia turned 6 months on Friday. Today we took her to the ocean for the first time and she really enjoyed watching the birds, listening to the sounds and watching the kids play in the sand. She is getting big (27 inches, 19lbs) and seriously teething. To me it seems like her upper teeth will come in first. We haven't started solids yet but she is able to sit up now which she loves. She is pretty happy, sleeps from 7:30pm-7:30am (at her best) with nighttime feedings. I don't know how many cause we co sleep and it is kind of a blur
She did say "mamamamam" for a week or so and then stopped saying it. She is back to vowels but has the funniest intonation when she talks. I love her sleep talk

I enjoy being a Mom but have a hard time with all the opinions out there and those people who give soliciting advice including my family unfortunately. Everybody is asking about solids now, and sleep.

Oh and I read some nice books for Moms: Buddhism for Mothers and Mindful Mothering. I still haven't finished reading them but already got something out of it. I am also reading Feeding the whole family which is very inspiring as it encourages you to eat healthy enough so your baby can eat what you eat (parts of it). We were kind of on the pasta, sandwich, pizza (or any other dinner that is prepared in less than 30 minutes) road and while reading that book I really started to enjoy to take time to prepare a meal again and made a slow cooked a bean soup today - of course it is the weekend too

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
#4 of 238 Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM

It's hard to believe so much time has gone by already! Maybe we should all start posting pictures of 'baby's first food experience'. I don't have any pics on my computer right now, but will try to get some posted (strange, I don't have time for much computering these days, ha).
Ethan is almost 7 months now, weighed just under 20lbs at his drs apt last week. He has his 2 bottom middle teeth, and seems to be working on some top teeth. He has 6 tooth buds on the top, and has been acting like he's getting teeth, but no sign of the actual teeth yet. Hopefully some come through soon so the cranky periods go away.
We are more or less doing a blw approach to solids. I usually give Ethan a hunk of something or other, and then give him a piece in a mesh feeder. He really loves melon the best so far. He has tried apples, sweet potatoes, peaches, banana, white potato, avocado, um... I know there's more. I haven't given him any avocados or peaches in a few weeks - the last time he had them he projectile vomited, not fun. I'm not sure which one caused the reaction, so he's cut off from both for a bit.
Ethan sits up super great on his own. This past week he's started getting up on his toes, then down to his knees, then rocking on his knees and then belly flopping in an effort to move forward. Sometimes it works, and sometimes he pushes himself further back. I'm not mentally prepared for a mobile baby, but I don't think it's going to be long before I have to baby proof. He says momomom and bababa, and makes 'f' noises. Pretty cute, although sometimes it sounds like he's saying 'bad mom' (which is one of my 18 month old nieces favourite phrases).
Sleeping is a bit of a hit and miss these days. During the day, he will often have a good nap in the morning (1+ hours) and then a few short naps in the afternoon. The problem is that he wants me to hold him for the naps, and will often wake up as soon as I put him down. It gets pretty frustrating some days. At night, he sleeps in his crib until about midnight and then comes to my bed, usually just nursing once until 6am. My bf works nights, so we get the bed to ourselves most nights.
Ethan is staring at me very intently, I think it's nap time. Hope everyone is doing well!
#5 of 238 Old 08-02-2010, 01:12 PM

I know what you mean about it sounding like 'bad mom', devasma, my older one would always babble, "Baba mama" [bad mom] so I started calling him "Googoo baba" back [good baby]. Still do call him that sometimes!

Mawood, you made me realize how, since it's my 2nd kid, nobody gives me advice, which is SO NICE! As annoying as it is, I think a lot of times they're just trying to make interesting small talk.
#6 of 238 Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM

hope this link works -

http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/CatAndrewsMom/

before, during & after of Andrew trying sweet potato

sleep? what's sleep? i think i slept 6 hours one time back in April 2009... sleep continues to be hit & miss for us, but that's ok. he's currently in the bassinet by our bed, but we're thinking he's going to move to his crib next week at his 6 month mark. we'll see how it goes.

other than that, he's a happy, uber talkative big guy who's recently discovered he has a tongue which he likes to stick out at you and blow raspberries at you all the time now. he has two bottom teeth starting to come in.

he's not crawling yet, but will do the backwards hump and really gets around. he LOVES to stand while you hold him under the arms. and, most of the time, you are just balancing him, he's holding himself up.

i am also evil. i immediately respond to him anytime i hear Mum mum mum - meaning i talk back, go get him & pick him up, etc. but i'll sort of ignore him when i hear da da da. his first word *will* be mom. or maybe dog.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#7 of 238 Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM

Oh, what a cutie Andrew is!

Emma just turned 6 months. She must be a lazy baby, she doesn't sit, try to crawl, try to do anything really. She just likes to be held. It is a very different experience for me, as my son was sitting/semi crawling the day he turned 5 months! She doesn't have any teeth yet, either. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong as far as the not sitting...
She does like to eat! She has little bites of whatever we're having (before it's seasoned) and some baby foods.
As far as sleep, she does pretty well. She goes down around 7:30/8 and sleeps until 6/6:30 with one nighttime feeding.
I can't believe it's August already!
#8 of 238 Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Griffin is just a scootch over six months and such a little love! He's sitting so nicely and just adores his older sister (even when she's *right* in his face). He plays with a spoon in the high chair - we've tried giving him a few things to eat and he's so-so on all of them. He does the rocking and ends up moving backwards. Weird kid.

It feels like his bottom teeth are ready to pop out. Oddly enough, he doesn't seem concerned about teething.

We're now getting 4-5 hour stretches at night. This is a totally new thing that happened when I moved him to his crib instead of our bed. My daughter did the same thing. Honestly, I think my kids just smelled my milk and would groggily say "hmm, I guess I'll eat since it's here" so they both woke up all.the.time.

We joined our community center this weekend and they have an umbrella with four jumperoos under it for the babies...G looooves it because he's covered in the shade, his feet hit the floor and when he bounces enough his butt goes in. So freaking cute!

I do need to admit that I am really loving mothering the second time around more so much more than the first. No random advice. I have my footing. I'm confident in my decisions. Even more lax about everything (and that's saying a lot since I was uber laid back with my daughter). No PPD!! Overall, it's just an easier experience.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#9 of 238 Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Yay for a new thread! I was feeling overwhelmed with how much I had missed on the other thread, that this is much easier for me: less guilt! haha

Sophie is doing great: army crawling, sitting up well on her own, starting to pull herself up and is such a ham. She adores her big brother but seems to get the biggest laughs when he's crying. We've introduced solids a few times. I was going to wait until around 9 months like with my oldest dd but Sophie grabbed a handful of my pasta one night and brought it straight to her mouth (then went back for seconds after I took it away from her) so I think she's ready. She doesn't eat everyday but every other day on average whenever she seems to be in the mood.

Sleeping is a struggle around here. I don't know what happened, she used to sleep so well and at two months old was only getting up once. But now she's up about 3 or 4 times per night and has been for almost 4 months. She used to sleep in the bassinet beside my bed but same thing at about 4 months old she refused to sleep in it and needed to be in bed with me. Which I don't mind but I'd prefer if she started the night in her bassinet and then came in with us so I could at least get some alone time with my husband. And she never sleeps more than an hour at a time if Im not right beside her. I love her to bits but am feeling frustrated at times.

#10 of 238 Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Andrew is too cute!
We had a very frustrating day today. Ethan had 2 15 minute naps for the entire day - and he wouldn't let me put him down for either nap. He was so cranky for most of the afternoon, and cried through his bath. Even though he was exhausted, it still took almost an hour before I could put him in his crib at bedtime. He fell asleep pretty quick, but would start to wake up every time I moved. Even though I get more sleep now then I used to, I kind of regret bringing him to bed after he wakes up the first time. Up until a few months ago, I would put him back in his crib until about 6am. Once my bf went onto the night shift, I just started bringing Ethan to bed, and now it is soooo hard to get him into the crib sometimes. I think a lot of the problem is that he has been getting teeth for over a month now.
Sigh. I know this stage will pass, but sometimes it's hard to remember.
#11 of 238 Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM

Skylar was 7 months last weekend!! She is a giggly, vocal, active little girl. She is rolling around lots, can sit up from laying down on her own, rocks on her hands and knees, tries to crawl (not quite there yet) and has just started trying to pull herself up on furniture the last couple of days (not successful yet). She loves being around lots of people and is way more content out and about that hanging at home with me all day She got her 2 front bottom teeth when she was 6 months and it really looks like all 4 top teeth are coming in *right now*! Didn't know it was possible for 4 at once! The two middle ones have just started breaking through the gum and the other two look like they're close too.

I have been way too paranoid to try BLW very much unfortunately so we have done some spoon feeding of sweet potato, banana, pear, mango and squash. We just mash up what we're eating. She doesn't seem terribly interested to tell you the truth but I like it!

Napping is challenging - doesn't usually last longer than 30-45 min. unless I nap with her on she naps on me. Night time sleeping has changed too. We're still co-sleeping and she no longer goes 5-6 hour stretches. She usually sleeps about 3 hours and then wakes every hour or so. She's developing so quickly now so I assume she's just going through a lot.

DP is still working long hours and gone from the house 14-15 hours a day. It makes for a long day for me but I try and get out every day and stay connected with other people as much as I can.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#12 of 238 Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Love reading everybody's updates! Catubodua, Andrew is adorable!
I think I need to post a picture of the cherry aftermath. Here's one

http://img576.imageshack.us/i/thefea...querorofc.jpg/

Sasha is 7 months tomorrow. I can't believe it. He's a babbler as well but mostly he says dadadadada and blablablabla. Sometimes it sounds like sentences, it's so cute!
He definitely wants my food - everytime I eat he looks straight at the food, smiles and opens his mouth. Sigh... i need to have more baby friendly options on hand, I have not been cooking enough lately.
Today when I picked him up at daycare he kissed me. That was awesome.
He also nursed every 1:30 -2 hours last night. Oh well, that too shall pass...

ETA: sorry can't figure out why the photo is so tiny looking

sleepytime.gif
#13 of 238 Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Hello ladies,

it sounds like everyone is doing well.

Margaret is turning out to be an extremely social, easy going little girl. She is putting on some weight (though is still quite tiny), and *LOVES* whatever food we give her.

her sleeping in going well. She has two 1.5/2hr naps a day, goes down around 6:30/7:00pm and (usually) has one feeding around 4am before starting the day around 6:30.

...this is SOOOOO much better than the first couple of months!

With the extra calories, she is starting to get much more active as well. She quite enjoys tummy time when there is an interesting object in front of her. She sits when I'm holding her hips, and she is starting to tuck her knees under her body occasionally...and she does a bit of rolling too!

Her siblings love her. The (almost) 2year old calls her Margaret, but without the "r"s, so it sounds like maggot...we get a kick out of that!

Oh, and she has 4 teeth, with more on the way!

thanks ladies for the new thread....can't believe that time passes so quickly!

cheers,
charlene
#14 of 238 Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Hey everyone!!

Melodie is doing great. She's now 6 and a half months. She's siiting pretty much unassisted, she just got her first tooth and likes to test it on my boobs But it doesn't happen too often. She started eating a bit...I wanted to do BLW but she likes eating with a spoon. She actually takes the spoon from my hand and brings it to her mouth while making these excited sounds...soo cute. So I just mash things up for her. So far she's had sweet potato, banana, pears, apples and she sucked cherries, peaches, plums, mangoes.....

As for sleep, she has ever been a great sleeper, but it seems these days it's worse. During the day her naps are 30 minutes at a time and that is if I keep her on me, if I put her down she wakes up instantly and at night she goes down for about 3 hours and then it's every 1-2 hours.....

Needless to say I'm tired:yawning and hoping that things will improve soon.....

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#15 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM

thanks gals i think he's pretty handsome myself, but i know i am biased!

and, scratch off green beans for food. he literally gagged on them so we'll find other veggies for him to eat for now.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#16 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Hello ladies,

things are going well over here.

Margaret is now 7 months! How did that happen. I have just started to really enjoy her, and can start to think about the future again.

She had bona fide colic for the first 4 months, and my anxiety levels are beginning to subside.

She is sleeping much better and really likes food. She is rolling from front to back, and *almost* from back to front. She is a happy child, and her siblings love her (as she loves them).

I'm considering flying by myself with the 3 of them in November...kinda crazy, but I really, *REALLY* miss 'back home'. I may be crazy for considering it, but it would be alot of fun once we got there.

anyway, hope everyone is well.

has anyone heard from nummies lately?
cheers,
charlene
#17 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Wilhelmina is now nearing 6 1/2 months and is such an active little girl.. she can sit and crawl and cruise and is walking with help... here is a video of her using the radio-flyer to walk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IvqIx71s6U

No solids here, she grabs things and puts them in her mouth but doesn't swallow... no hurry though, my others started much later and it makes life so much easier when they are EBF...

EC is doing great, she is pretty much diaperfree, or just has training underwear etc... When we are in she has a few accidents because she is so busy but when we are out she is always dry... Nighttimes are dry also which is so much fun especially since she doesn't wake to nurse and only wakes to pee at about 6:30am...

She loves her bath and cries if her brothers are in the bath without her... and she follows her brothers everywhere... she also loves the pool...

Not saying anything yet but she is babbling a lot...

I am having so much fun and cherishing all of these stages as she is most likely our last babe...

Here is the link to her photo album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paxye/s...7623172667585/

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#18 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Paxye, Wilhelmina is so adorable! I just can't get over all of these mobile babies. I mean, my ds was mobile at this age, but dd is a whole other ball game. She gets the lazy baby award for sure! Then again, she doesn't spend much time on the floor to be mobile, so maybe it's our fault.
#19 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Melissa!! I can't believe she is walking so well with the toy. My god, my kid is such a fat lump. A serious, serious lump!

Yesterday we had some friends over and the woman was holding G and went to take a drink of her water - he lurched forward with both hands, pulled the glass back hard and opened his mouth. It took all of her energy to stop him before she got the go-ahead. The second I said yes he took two huge drinks - without choking. And then was ticked when she put the glass back. Guess who's ready for a cup!

Angela
#20 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 PM

She'll be 7 months next month. 2 teeth, sits up, starting to cruise, hates tummy time and just like my other 2 I'm sure she will be walking before 9 months and never crawl LOL She still BF's and loves to eat food, she can feed herself finger foods. Just like her brothers she's a skinny minnie and only weighs 14 lbs. sleeps pretty well, she's might take a bottle of EBM once during the nights i'm at work and at home of course she nurses throughout the night.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...0_280847_n.jpg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#21 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Go Wilhelmina! I love the video of her babbling, super cute! Sharla, your little muffin is adorable!
Ethan has started army crawling. At first he would only go after things he shouldn't have (like paper or something that isn't a toy) but now he maneuvers his way to anything he wants. He managed to get from his tummy to a sitting position today, and he tries to pull himself up on everything. I guess I better go buy a gate.
#22 of 238 Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 PM

Hi Everyone! Little Ben and I are doing very well! He is a little over 6 months now, and quite the chubster! He is still EBF, we let him try chunks of strawberries, bananas, and mashed potatoes at about 5.5 months, because everytime we sat down to eat, it was like holy hissyfits batman! He loved being included in mealtime, but had crazy poops, lots of tummyaches, and didn't sleep right at all! So we have decided to wait a few more months as he is doing wonderfully with boobie milk. We have dubbed the boobs, "ninnies" and when I say that word he gets uber happy! He loves to just play with them and squoosh his head into them like pillows! He started sitting up and crawling at exactly 5 months, within days of each other, then last week, began pulling up on furniture! He hasn't tried cruising yet, but I can only guess it will be a matter of time! My other son is still very territorial and doesn't want Ben touching any of his toys, and he really hates watching him crawl....anyone else have bad sibling rivalry already? Ben still loves his big brother so much; he just lights up when he sees him! No sleeping problems here, Ben usually goes down around 10-1030, sleeps til around 3, sleep-nurses, then wakes aroung 730 for the day, but takes lots of catnaps during the day, just enough for small tasks like laundry or cleaning around the house. I love seeing pics of all of our babies growning up! They are all so beautiful! Here is mine:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...&ref=fbx_album

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#23 of 238 Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 AM

Just another quickie post to share photos

These photos on my blog are about a month or so old.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#24 of 238 Old 08-14-2010, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping us up again!
Sasha is starting to actually swallow food. He's been really interested in sucking on flavorful things for a while (I would give him things that we ate that were safe) but when I tried cut up avocado he really wasn't sure what he was doing with it. Well... the last 2 days he is actually swallowing things. Yesterday it was a banana chunk which made the little "worms" in his poop, and today when we were out eating sushi he ate a piece of pickled ginger, and then topped off with some orange. It is exciting but I feel mixed emotions about it. My little bun is no longer 100% mama-built, , but he is growing well It is fun to watch him experience new tastes, but on the practical side EBF diapies are so much easier to deal with. We do EC but he poops frequently and we have lots of misses.
The good thing - so far no reactions to foods, so I'm introducing things kind of fast, although I'm avoiding dairy, grains, sugar, and trying to only offer foods with all known ingredients. We're doing 100% BLW. He hasn't had any purees.

sleepytime.gif
#25 of 238 Old 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I enjoy reading about your babies (and you!). How are the moms doing? We focus so much on our babies (not that it's a bad thing), that I would love to hear how everyone is doing, themselves!
#26 of 238 Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM

I've loved reading all these updates!
Alexander is doing great. He turned 7 months at the beginning of the month. In the month of July, he started sitting up, crawling, and pulling himself up to stand, all within a span of about 3 weeks. He's busy! My other ds was like that too, super active (although he started even earlier). I love it but at the same time, sometimes I long for the time I had with my dd at this age when she would sit, surrounded by toys...and I could leave the room for a second, come back and she'd still be there. Not my boys! He is all over the place.
He is babbling a bit and is the first of my 3 to say mamama before daddada. ha. I know it doesn't mean much but it feels good!
The other 2 just adore him.
His sleep is pretty good. Naps are still not consistent but I'm hoping they will become moreso once school starts and we are back in a routine. We've been out and about a lot this summer which means lots of shorter naps in the car, stroller or Ergo. At night, he goes down pretty easily by nursing and I put him in his crib. He wakes usually sometime between midnight and 3 am and spends the rest of the night in bed with us.
BTW...do any of you have an Ergo? I bought one at the beginning of the summer and I love it. LOVE. it. I honestly don't know how I would have survived the summer without it. DH loves it too.
Eating...he's made a ton of progress here too. I was not ready for it but he pretty much skipped the purees and only will eat soft finger foods. Our favorite thing to do for lunch is to split a sweet potato. I just bake it and spoon it out to him. he pretty much eats little pieces of whatever we're eating...he is already starting to nurse a bit less, which breaks my heart (he is probably our last) but he is showing me that he is ready. The other day, I tried to nurse him when the kids were eating their lunch and he kept popping off, trying to see what they were eating...I finally handed him a little piece of carrot and he was happy as a clam.
As for me? I'm doing pretty well. I have good days and bad days. I had PPD BAD after my other ds but so far, I think I am OK this time. Some anxiety when things get overwhelming but overall I'm doing much, much better than expected.

Tanya - Lucky wife to dh & Mommy to dd M (5/02) ds1 C (9/05) ds2 A (1/10) &
#27 of 238 Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 AM

Howdy, all!

We just got back from vacation and I found out the photographer put Griffin's six month photos on her blog - http://sundbergphotography.wordpress.../baby-griffen/

Vacation didn't suit my little go-with-the-flow man so well...over a week of nothing but lobster, butter, deep cream sauces = uber loose stools. Poor kid. He's teething, too, so his nose pretty much ran the whole time. Good thing he's so easy going because he did it all with a smile on his sweet melon.

Those of you with older kids will appreciate this - G was nursing and my 4.5 year old came up to snuggle into my other side (not nursing, just loving on me) and they both held out hands at the same time to just hold on to each other. MELT! Best. Kids. Ever.

Still not eating. He's had little tastes of this and that, but always makes the "get this crap out of my mouth!" face. Not sure when he's going to take the plunge and eat.

He's finally getting up and rocking on all fours, but refuses to roll over. Seriously! The kid will scream bloody murder if he accidentally rolls on to his back until rescued and placed back on his stomach. Weirdo.

All is well with me. Preschool starts tomorrow and my life gets to go back to a routine. Yay!

Angela
#28 of 238 Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Hi ladies?

So we are settling into our new digs in Bogota. Finally feel like we can slow down on the shopping for little details like a broom or coffee cups, and the kids seem to be adjusting well. Emily is sleeping from 7 or 8pm to about 6am, which is just FABULOUS though I wish I wasn't back at work so that I could actually take advantage of this new trend...as it is I am back to teaching full time, from 7am to 4pm...basically I leave around 6:30 and get back around 4:30 or 5pm. Then I'm up after DS goes to bed until about 12 or 1AM doing marking or planning. Luckily dd trained me to be fairly coherent on 4-5 hours of sleep at night.

DS started school at the same colegio I'm teaching for. So far so good, except that he is the tallest and the only one who speaks English fluently, so he's a bit of a weirdo, but he also speaks Spanish fluently so I am sure it will be fine.

Apart from that...Emily is really up on all fours now, but when she crawls it's still more of a soldier's scoot, but man does she book! She is into everything and loves loves loves caves. we have this coffee table and she always crawls into the space where books should go, and she's forever heading for the empty space in the TV cupboard. She also sleeps at night with her head pushed right up against the head of the crib.

What else is she doing? She poops in her potty regularly now and even crawls over to it when she needs to go and gives a funny little grunt if we're not paying attention. She'll wait to pee in the potty if she is naked, but if she has a nappy on she'll wet the nappy.

She's eating all manner of fruit and veggie. Her favorites are banana, broccoli, potato, and peas, but she loves almost all fruit. She also loves oats.

She's a very chilled out baby and really her brother set the bar pretty high for chilled. We have been super lucky.

So nice to read all these updates. Your babies are so cute!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#29 of 238 Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Quite right Mulvah...

I am pretty boring for most people but I am SOOOO happy to be back in the classroom. God, I missed this part of who I am. I love teaching so much.

I am feeling a little disillusioned with my co-workers who seem to think the rules of the international exam system we run here do not apply to them (giving already filthy rich children an unfair advantage over kids from much less privileged backgrounds who work their bums off and happen to be in schools who actually follow the rules...it really pisses me off!) I was told they had been doing this program for 31 years, and it seems like no one has read the guides or regulation updates in as long.

It means a lot of work on my part getting people on board with the changes and retraining a staff of 10 English teachers and trying to train as many Spanish teachers without pissing them off or insulting them by accidentally insinuating that they have been behaving unethically for the last at least 5 years (even though they have...they are beyond reproach, of course, ha ha)...oh my god, and the meetings! I forget that meetings in most schools do not mean workshops or discussions like my last school, it means we sit and shut up while the PTB wax lyrical on philosophy and theory that hold no water in the real world of teaching. I keep expecting to get somewhere or change something, or at least be able to say something, but that is not really the point...it seems the main point is to ensure that we are occupied...like planning for, teaching and marking for 4 groups of 20-25 students wouldn't do the job.

see, I told you it was boring...

Jamie and I got to see downtown yesterday with the kids, it was so beautiful. We are interviewing sitters this week so we can finally have a date night and explore some of the nightlife here. I am so looking forward to hearing a live band again and having a conversation with my husband that isn't tainted by thoughts of homework to grade or interrupted by the musings of my five year old...well, a girl can dream, right?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#30 of 238 Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 PM

It's so nice reading updates from everybody...here's a quick pick of Emma.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1539760812

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page