FEB 2010 August thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linchi View Post

We got an amber teething necklace yesterday in the mail. I took it off for sleep yesterday and put it on again this morning. Do you mamas really think it helps?
Not sure if they help, but they sure are pretty!

Quote:
Next week we are off to Spain again. I'll post a picture from our last flight just because I think my little man is freaking adorable.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...00602-1252.jpg
Adorable!

Quote:
I also did something I vowed not to upon becoming a mama. I cut my hair. I like it though. Actually I just sat it the chair and said do whatever you think is best and the stylist had a blast (he said no one ever does that, haha)! I just didn't want to do the typical thing, but it actually is pretty great and I seem to have stopped shedding.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P8040119.jpg
It looks great! I love short sassy haircuts.

He is a sweetie!

Living vicariously through you and Lauren and all your travels!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the amber, I'm a skeptic. I've worn them myself and didn't notice a change (supposed to help migraines). DH wore it and thought he noticed a difference.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 PM

linchi - adorable, adorable pictures! what a cutie pie

Mama to three

Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM

I LOOOOOVE amber--for myself and my babies--but, sigh, I also do not think it actually does anything. But my babies genetically don't have trouble teething anyway, so I'm lucky there.

I took Julianna to a postpartum moms' group yesterday, and she was SOOOO CUTE! Normally she doesn't like to be near other women who aren't Mommy -- she only smiles for MEN when we're out -- but she seemed to love being around all the other babies, even though she was by far the oldest. She was sitting between my legs on the floor, playing, flashing everyone smiles, singing, nursing, giggling. It was nice to see my baby relaxing outside of the house. Me, on the other hand -- I need a Portuguese tutor STAT b/c I didn't understand anything!

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM

aramat - good for you joining in the group, despite the language barrier!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think our amber helps. Elsa's first tooth, before we got it, was horrible. She was inconsolable for days until it broke through. She cut two incisors this morning after only one really hard day. It could be coincidence but I really think it was helpful.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 08-15-2010, 04:55 PM

Am I crazy? My husband was carrying his Breyers all natural vanilla ice cream to his seat and decided that the baby needed some!!! WTF!?!??! I was s omad at him. Am I crazy?! It was like half of a dime size amount, nothing more and she did not seem to love it but WTF!? Could this be that bad?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Am I crazy? My husband was carrying his Breyers all natural vanilla ice cream to his seat and decided that the baby needed some!!! WTF!?!??! I was s omad at him. Am I crazy?! It was like half of a dime size amount, nothing more and she did not seem to love it but WTF!? Could this be that bad?
I'd be a bit upset; I tell my husband ALL THE TIME that "they don't know what they're missing" when it comes to sweets, so to just stall on them until the kid is at least old enough to ask. He didn't 'believe' me with our toddler, and now it can be hard to get her to eat well, so I am already reminding him often not to make this mistake w/Juju!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Any Diva users?

TMI, sorry.

How much bleeding is too much?

Just got my first PP AF today.

I used the Diva Cup between Shane and Caleb. On my heaviest day I could go 4-6 hours and the cup would only be about 3/4ths of the way full. This would last for 24-48 hours, then would gradually taper down, with my average cycle lasting 5-7 days.

Today I am overflowing the cup every three hours. I had spotting yesterday, then when I got up this morning it was overflowing - thought it was just from going overnight, but since then I've had it overflow after just 3 hours. Is this just because it is the first PP cycle? How much bleeding is too much? I know normally they say a pad per hour, but I'm not sure how that compares...

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 PM

I do not use a Diva, but I can tell you that my first pp cycle (a few weeks ago) was very heavy and a solid 6 days compared to a light 4-5 day cycle pre pregnancy.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Lauren- I would be really upset, not just because of the sweets aspect but the whole dairy thing and um solids at all if you haven't started yet? I don't know, I would be really upset but I wouldn't worry about my baby. I would just figure it was time for some good communication with DH
Nicole- I am not sure how much is too much? but I definitely didn't get anywhere close to that much this past AF. My first cycle postpartum was kind of heavy at times but not too bad or even close to filling up the cup, more like half. I am not much help but that is my experience

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Lauren - I totally understand you being upset, that would piss me off too! That said, it would hvae bothered me way more with my first. The second time around I'm much more relaxed and realize that stuff happens and it will all be okay. It's hard to get to that point though.

Nicole - that does sound like a lot...but since it is your first AF, I'm sure it's not too abnormal. If you start feeling dizzy/icky or it lasts more than a day then I'd get it checked out.

Mama to three

Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 AM

Re: Diva. I just started using it last cycle. I didn't get as much as you are describing.

Re: ice cream. eek! I'd be mad, or at least...ahem..."authoritative," since he obviously didn't realize that wasn't cool . We don't do sweets for the first year, just on principle. But it really bothers extended family, who want to get baby smiles the lazy way.

Re: amber. The necklaces are very pretty, but I'm not sure it really helped my DD. Not sure if I'll do it this time around or not. DD might get mad if I put hers on the baby, but I don't want to buy a second one.

Hiya everybody! We're busy and happy around here, still trying to sell the house, watching the baby grow. All good.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi- I guess ds must be "teething"- I put it in quotes as he doesn't have any teeth yet (he is 5 months tomorrow) but he sure has gotten more fussy than usual! Not all the time, but noticeably less content- easier to freak out and stuff
Any teething tips? Wehave lots of things for him to chew on.I tried freezing a wet wash cloth but he wasn;t interested.

Otherwise we are doing okay! He is generally a happy little guy just has his moments- becoming more "demanding" and assertive of his needs.
Yestserday I managed to leave him with dh for 3 and a 1/2 hours while I went to see the movie Eat Pray Love- which I loved ( I had already read the book) and ds did okay with that. That felt good. We actually tried to do that the nigth before but dh called me part way in cause ds wasn't settling. So it was nice to do it yesterday!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi- I guess ds must be "teething"- I put it in quotes as he doesn't have any teeth yet (he is 5 months tomorrow) but he sure has gotten more fussy than usual! Not all the time, but noticeably less content- easier to freak out and stuff
Any teething tips? Wehave lots of things for him to chew on.I tried freezing a wet wash cloth but he wasn;t interested.

Otherwise we are doing okay! He is generally a happy little guy just has his moments- becoming more "demanding" and assertive of his needs.
Yestserday I managed to leave him with dh for 3 and a 1/2 hours while I went to see the movie Eat Pray Love- which I loved ( I had already read the book) and ds did okay with that. That felt good. We actually tried to do that the nigth before but dh called me part way in cause ds wasn't settling. So it was nice to do it yesterday!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Re: the ice cream - I'd probably be more upset at the principal of the thing than the actual danger. Grrrr. MIL tried to feed DS apple pie (with pastry) last night - I think I was a little "authoritative" too as I yelled "no! please don't!" and DH grabbed her hand. Sigh. She had just watched us offer him a sliver of steamed carrot and him refuse so I don't know what she was thinking (not much of anything probably...)

Teething.. DD showed signs of teething at 5 months but didn't get any teeth until 10.5 months.. we used chilled wet cloths, those plastic chillable teethers, and Motrin. We're eschewing the plastic this time and offering Sophie the Giraffe and cloths instead. I am not against using medication if it gets really bad at night, but it was very rare with DD and I plan to use it even more sparingly with DS. I may try the homeopathic stuff too. I don't think that I'll try the amber necklace.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Can I just say AF sucks? I think it is slowing down now, but I estimate it's been close to 6 ounces already, which from what I've read is like double the "average" amount for an entire cycle - and it's been 36 hours. Ugh!

With AF we have started to wean to formula. Caleb is only getting boobies at night - he needs more cuddling than actual food then, so it's easier to just let him nurse for a few minutes than get up and make a bottle. I'm hoping that he will night wean on his own as I dry up and maybe even consider STTN. That would be nice, as I could then move him to the kids' room and DH and I could have our grown up space again. We have a weigh-in today, so I'll keep y'all posted.

On foods - I would have been a little upset about the ice cream, but only because of the dairy. Other stuff not so much. Though Caleb is also 6.5 months old and no history of food allergies in the family, so I'm pretty lax on that front.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks guys, I think DH now understands why I was upset. I worked so hard so give this baby only breast milk and to do right by her, you know? I felt like he robbed us as a family of her "first food." I wanted her first food to be on camera Eitherway it was like a dime size if that and she did not like it so I am going to say it was NOT her first food. His mom fed his brother sprite when he was only 14 months old and complains now that he is 2.5 that all he eats is french fries and quesadillas... because literally that is all she feeds him since he was 18 months that is "all he wanted." OK, DH and I had a talk and we are on the same page. He said, I did not think dairy was bad bc my brothers and sisters all were FF and that is made from cows milk.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Also- can I just say how HARD it is to pack a baby's and mom's clothes in a suitcase that weighs less the 23 kg for 12 nights?!!?!??

Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I wouldn't have to worry about babyproofing until she actually crawled. Oh LOL. This kid can scootch faster than some people walk, I swear. She's so funny. She is totally uninterested in sitting. When I try to sit her up she just rolls onto her tummy and is off to the races. I get the impression she finds sitting pointless.

My stepsister is a semi-professional photographer and is looking to do some family portraits for her portfolio and hopefully will be coming by to do ours soon. I need a family picture, and hopefully she'll have time to do some nice six month pictures of Elsa too. I try to take quality pictures too, but most of mine are candids.

We went to our town's big festival on Saturday. I was looking forward to wearing her around. I was all set with my Ergo accessories (backpack, waist pouch, sucking pads) but it was soooo hot and she missed her nap because she was too interested in the parade, so she just wanted to sleep in her stroller. It worked out anyway because we bought some homemade soap and washrags and used books and they could go in the basket. We all had a good time. We're planning a tentative zoo trip for Friday since summer is quickly coming to an end. Where does the time go?

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Thanks guys, I think DH now understands why I was upset. I worked so hard so give this baby only breast milk and to do right by her, you know? I felt like he robbed us as a family of her "first food." I wanted her first food to be on camera Eitherway it was like a dime size if that and she did not like it so I am going to say it was NOT her first food. His mom fed his brother sprite when he was only 14 months old and complains now that he is 2.5 that all he eats is french fries and quesadillas... because literally that is all she feeds him since he was 18 months that is "all he wanted." OK, DH and I had a talk and we are on the same page. He said, I did not think dairy was bad bc my brothers and sisters all were FF and that is made from cows milk.
From what I understand formula is processed differently to make it easier to digest, but I thought ice cream was pretty much the same as giving straight milk? I know yogurt is ok earlier on too. But I can't remember what is and what isn't so we don't do any straight dairy until 1 year. DH is lactose intolerant, I'm thinking because his mom started whole milk way early (was very poor and couldn't afford formula), so that is one that I'm careful on.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Hi kezler, I have a Benjamin too! We halfway EC, when I'm not being lazy. It worked really well for a while, but right now Ben doesn't want to be on the potty, he just wants to jump up and run around instead.

I'm another Diva user. I didn't get that much, but I wouldn't think it unusual for a returning AF. Just annoying!

I'd be annoyed about the ice cream, but there's nothing you can really do about it, is there? Just like my dad feeding DS1 syrup when he was four months old - my mom yelled at him, but I just shrugged it off (after putting a stop to it, of course). We didn't count it as the real first food, either. Some people just don't know baby-feeding protocols, I guess. When my dad was a baby they started giving him orange juice and Karo syrup at one month, so at least he waited!

I'm doomed over here - on Friday Benjamin really figured out what walking is for. He's been stepping when you hold his hands for months, but we were at a little playground, and I could see it click in his brain - "When you walk, you can get to places you want to be!" Now whenever I go to pick him up he tries to grab my hands so he can walk around instead. It's going to be just like it was with DS1, walking the baby around for the next year... I hope my back can take another one.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Well, the formula appears to be working for Caleb. He was 17 pounds at WIC today, so up about a pound in 3 weeks.

And I guess AF was just normal for me - she's still really heavy (about half full every 4 hours now) but my iron was 14.1 at WIC so I'm not losing too much blood or anything.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 AM

NicoleS - that's good your iron levels were good, still though, that totally sucks to have a period that heavy! hopefully next time is better

harpersmion - was that you who posted a picture before of your LO standing while you held onto one arm at like 3 months? you have a strong little boy!

Mama to three

Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Actually, that was a few days before he turned two moths old. He's a crazy standing baby. He's pulled up to stand a few times now on his own! And here he is balancing with only the help of his shaky little play gym, a month or so ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapersm...7624239453800/

His big brother was the same way, though it didn't occur to me to try standing him up until one day I took him by the hands while he was lying down and he just stood right up on his own. Here he is at 4 months: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapersm...7594139240302/
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
Actually, that was a few days before he turned two moths old. He's a crazy standing baby. He's pulled up to stand a few times now on his own! And here he is balancing with only the help of his shaky little play gym, a month or so ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapersm...7624239453800/
That photo made me giggle. Super-baby!!

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 08-18-2010, 04:50 PM

My baby is 7 months old today! CRAZY! and I sure hope we are getting some more teeth because he has been a pill the past 24hours. It sure makes me worn out when he just wants to be held and sometimes even that isn't enough. I also cannot get rid of a diaper rash that he has had. It does not seem to irritate him but I feel like I have tried everything! It is kind of dry skin/red irritation and is worse when he is scooting around on his belly. He is army crawling/scooting now and LOVES to get into everything. He has a distinct personality and is super laid back and loves to laugh. I really enjoy him and I think that is a fun aspect of motherhood I didn't really understand. Night nursing is easily 4-7 times a night and that is just about to kill my back. I cannot figure out another way to get him to sleep though. He rolls all around the bed in his sleep. Lately he has ended up with him horizontal between me and DH and then rolling anywhere between that. It is a little humorous but sometimes not so much when a head smacks into you at 3am. I honestly do not remember what it was like to sleep 3-4 hours at a time. As much as I love cosleeping, I will really like the whole spreading out and sleeping hours at a time thing again. I figure that I will probably get this a little bit before the next baby? We will see.
I meant to say this last time but welcome new people! hapersmion- that is crazy! cool but crazy!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 PM

You do have a super baby Hapersmion! How awesome

Mama to three

Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Boo! It seems my husband can now not take any vacation this year. Tough luck being the top guy in his office. Some contracts that they have been working on all year are finally coming in. This sucks because we have tickets that were purchased months ago. And now I will be going to the in laws with the sole grandchild all by my lonesome.

MIL soapbox rants to come.

My family = me + dh & ds +
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 AM

I'm totally nervous over something that is probably silly, but I am a freak when it comes to illnesses.

Yesterday we went to a playgroup and a little girl there kept touching Elsa and getting her face and grabbing her hands (which Elsa contsantly puts in her mouth). I tried to keep the girl back, but there is only so much you can do without sounding like a rude b****. Plus, I am trying to be more relaxed about things because illness is an issue for me. Well, turns out that little girl got diagnosed with strep throat today. I just want to cry (doesn't help I am PMSing). I'm sure Elsa won't get it too bad, if she does get it, because of breastfeeding. But DS will probably get it too then and so will I. And UGH I am just dreading it. Plus, the kids insurance didn't go through (state) and who knows what will happen at the doctor's. Do I even have to go to the Doctor for strep? Anything we can do to prevent it? We have ACV and probiotics in the house, guess I better just load us up...

And linchi - that totally sucks!!

Mama to three

User Tag List