FEB 2010 August thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 156 Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
oh, we found our Sophie
I felt silly because I ordered the next one so quickly- it arrived the day we found the old one. So now I have to send it back for a refund minus shipping. (it was in the basket in the bottom of the little stroller that we keep folded up in the car trunk)

Swaddle blanket question: Can anyone recommend a good swaddle blanket for 15 or 16 pounds and up? We have been swaddling again and it is fine- we use the miracle blanket. And I like it but it is getting too small.
#122 of 156 Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
oh, we found our Sophie
I felt silly because I ordered the next one so quickly- it arrived the day we found the old one. So now I have to send it back for a refund minus shipping. (it was in the basket in the bottom of the little stroller that we keep folded up in the car trunk)
Isn't that always how it works!!

No advice on the swaddling - sorry. Neither of my kids liked it. I suspect I did it wrong!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#123 of 156 Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
oh, we found our Sophie

Swaddle blanket question: Can anyone recommend a good swaddle blanket for 15 or 16 pounds and up? We have been swaddling again and it is fine- we use the miracle blanket. And I like it but it is getting too small.
Still swaddling Juju, but I just use whatever oversized (usually knitted) blanket is clean. Although my still-favorite and always first-used swaddler is one I made that ties or wraps; it is based on this one I found online.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#124 of 156 Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I've been swaddling with a sheet. It's the only thing big enough to get around him snugly.

I can't find our Sophie either. What's up with that? Are all the Sophies going to some big Sophie meeting?

I'm with the others who said they aren't ready for babyproofing. I'm in denial that we haven't sold our house yet. I want to babyproof a different house. But Worth is doing this bum scooch/hop thing in a sitting position that he is quickly perfecting as a means of getting where he wants to go. Uh-oh.

Baby has a little bit of a fever today and has been a real cranky-puss. I'm tired after waking up with him constantly last night, and sweaty from his hot little body. I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but the only way I can keep him asleep is on my lap or right next to me, so here I am trapped under his hot little sleeping self. Hoping he feels better tomorrow.

Next week I have go to a half-day of orientation at DD's preschool. I've never left DS for longer than it has taken to get my hair cut, so I've never pumped and left him a bottle. I have no idea if he'd take one. I know I need to get the stupid pump out and try, but I just hate to. It's three hours--there's the chance he won't take it anyway, and then I've gone to the trouble of pumping for nothing. I guess I could buy formula and leave that? Do you think he'd be less likely to take the formula, given that he's never taken a bottle at all? It just seems like a big pain to drag out and clean all the pump parts and go to all the trouble for a half-day thing. Hmm.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#125 of 156 Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post

Next week I have go to a half-day of orientation at DD's preschool. I've never left DS for longer than it has taken to get my hair cut, so I've never pumped and left him a bottle. I have no idea if he'd take one. I know I need to get the stupid pump out and try, but I just hate to. It's three hours--there's the chance he won't take it anyway, and then I've gone to the trouble of pumping for nothing. I guess I could buy formula and leave that? Do you think he'd be less likely to take the formula, given that he's never taken a bottle at all? It just seems like a big pain to drag out and clean all the pump parts and go to all the trouble for a half-day thing. Hmm.
Eh, Ds will go more than three hours if I am not there. He has just now taken a bottle which is fine but he still wouldn't take one when we went out for our anniversary. I would just feed him before I left and when I got home. That is how DS would handle it best and I hate pumping. Well I was going to write more to respond to everyone but DS is getting upset...bed time!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#126 of 156 Old 08-25-2010, 11:38 PM

HappiLeigh - I would also say, just not pump and not feed formula. I'd nurse right before I left and then leave a bottle with a little water if he needs something.

Mama to three

#127 of 156 Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM

I'd say the same. I wouldn't risk the stomach upset that formula could cause for the sake of 3 hours. At this age I was back at work and DD stayed home with DH - she barely nursed and just waited till I got home. I'd nurse before you leave and then have some water for DS to play with.

FWIW, we'll be doing similar in a couple of weeks - DD has her Open House at Kindergarten on the 7th and we'll be leaving DS with my parents. I could probably get away with taking him in the Ergo but my Mum really wants to have control of him for a couple of hours

#128 of 156 Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Athena was my only child that needed swaddling at that size, I just bought knit fabric and used that to make our own blanket big enough.

On the pumping thing, I'd pump a little this week as you have time and build up a little emergency stash. You likely wouldn't need more than 5-10 ounces tops for that short of time. Then you'd have it on hand if DH needed it, and if he doesn't then you can use it to mix with her food or whatever. I wouldn't pump at the event with it only being 3 hours long unless you think you are going to be uncomfortable.

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#129 of 156 Old 08-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Lucy is 6 months old today! She weighs approximately 16 pounds; a 4 pound gain from 4 months. She goes for her official appointment in a few weeks. She fits into 6 months clothes perfectly.
6months - today
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...7&id=707176282

She is loving food and has sucked on plums, peaches, apples, pickles! She has eaten some chick peas and bananas and oatmeal cereal w/ blueberries. My milk supply was/is dwindling and rather then giving her another bottle I first offered her food for dinner and she devours it.
yummy plum:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=707176282

I wonder how some people can night nurse or extend/infrequent nurse?. My supply dries up pretty quickly...once there is less nursing, it goes. Although right now, she seems to get enough to keep her content through the night, but she is clearly not satisfied during the day. I tried pumping the other day to see what I had and I barely got a half an ounce total. I have started to supplement and she sucks back a 4oz bottle pretty quickly.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#130 of 156 Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 AM

On the nursing thing, no help there. We have officially gone to full formula, and Caleb is better for it - he's gained a pound and a half in the last month! That puts him at 17.5 pounds and about the 35th percentile (up from the 20th or so last month). I think some people are just blessed to be better producers than others. Even domperidone didn't work for me.

I took a couple of pics Thursday, so thought I'd share. Caleb will be 7 months tomorrow. That's a 12 month outfit, and you can see he is growing out of length-wise already, LOL. They aren't the best but he kept trying to wiggle around and the cat kept running through.

http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...714383662M.jpg
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...714426842M.jpg
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...714456977M.jpg
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010...714474851M.jpg

Nicole, Mommy to Jasmine (7/05) , Athena (2/07) , Shane (3/08) , Caleb (1/10), and 2 angels (4/06 & 4/09)
#131 of 156 Old 08-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Oh, and I am looking for a parttime job, and have something that might be panning out. If it goes through I won't be online much anymore. You can add me on Facebook if you want, just tell me you are from MDC so I know who you are.

#132 of 156 Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Happileigh I would get the formula and leave it as a back up- I don't think one bottle of formula would really bother his stomach at this point- and especially if most likely he wouldn't need to eat in that span.
It would just be a back up in case he got hungry.

I bought a thing of formula for this very reason just recently. Ds has never had it, but last wk I went out for a couple of hours and left dh with a ready bottle of formula just in case. It was fine as I got back in time before he wanted to eat, but it made me feel more relaxed when I was out.
#133 of 156 Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 AM

Hello all! I've just read all 7 pages of posts here, and I'd feel like a stalker if I didn't say something now!! 8) You all seem so friendly here- I'm so glad I found this site! My daughter Harmony will be 7 months on the 5th of September. That seems so surreal! Hopefully I'll get a chance to come back tomorrow and introduce us more officially, but I've already stayed up too late. I am not a happy momma when I haven't slept enough, and that's not fair when it's my fault!! OK, good night!!
#134 of 156 Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Welcome, Mrs McC!

DS is officially army crawling, despite all my efforts to stop him. DD didn't crawl until 10.5 months and I was hoping for a repeat, but I guess this guy is more adventurous!

He's still not thrilled about solids. He likes to taste, but we're doing BLW, and he's not great with the chunks yet. He loved the piece of orange pepper I held for him yesterday though - we've only tried fruits up to this point - maybe he's just a veggie guy. That would be okay! (Is pepper a veggie?)

#135 of 156 Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Now my big thing is finding a stroller. We have a frame that I can pop the carseat into for quick in-and-out trips but Elsa's getting big enough that I'm starting to leave the carseat in the car more and more. I still wear her most of the time but sometimes I prefer a stroller. But gah, there are way too many options, and so many that are online but not in stores, and I really prefer to see something in person before buying it.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#136 of 156 Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Welcome Mrs McC! I love our group
We are home from visiting family for a couple of days. it is interesting to see how flexible I am and how flexible DS is with going so many different places. DS switched his routine of the day to staying up until 11PM and getting up at 11 or 1030am. It wasn't too bad but really threw me off for a bit. Hey, if he is sleeping, I don't really care how it happens!

We have tried cucumbers, sweet potatoes, apples, apple sauce, and bananas. So far, sweet potatoes seem to be a clear favorite with bananas coming close behind. I have to admit, it kind of freaks me out when he gags on things. We are doing semi- BLW because I do break some of his food into smaller chunks. I found that if I just let him decide, he takes huge mouthfuls and just does not handle that well. I think we might try some peas soon. I think it is fun to see him explore his world. He is sooooo very mobile with his crawling. In less than a week we went from still a little shaky sitting up to army crawling all over our ground floor. I love it because of how much fun he has but man, gone are the days of ever sitting on my butt!

Hope everyone is doing well!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#137 of 156 Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 AM

Strollers -- the huge ones are SUCH a hassle to me. I hate pulling them out of the trunk while the baby waits in the car and then trying to maneuver them through store aisles. We do have one for our middle daughter now, but only because the Sao Paulo sidewalks are SO bumpy that they broke two smaller strollers! I really preferred those super-cheap umbrella strollers when we were in the US.

Julianna LOVES food. I don't even know what is her favorite because she devours anything I give her! Mostly bananas and avocados, because that's what's easiest for me.

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#138 of 156 Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Welcome, MrsMcC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
DS switched his routine of the day to staying up until 11PM and getting up at 11 or 1030am. It wasn't too bad but really threw me off for a bit. Hey, if he is sleeping, I don't really care how it happens!
This is DS's schedule. Which is AWESOME because of my and DH's schedules.

Solids: he isn't too interested yet (except in things he can't have, ie pizza or nuts). So far, he hates fruit except bananas, despises anything pureed, and loves cucumbers, black and kidney beans (mushed, refried style), and cauliflower.

We're finally getting an ergo!! We have a wrap and 2 slings and DS is too hot in the wrap now and the slings are getting on my nerves. So, I bought the new performance carrier in green. It's supposed to fit from 5' to 6.5' so that should just fit DH and me with a couple inches each way. I'll let you all know how I like it.

Strollers: we have a kolcraft one someone gave to us used. DS really likes it (just tried it out this month) but it's a pain to put in and out of the trunk. We take him for walks around the park in it sometimes. If he continues to like it, I may get a jogging stroller when we move.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#139 of 156 Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I definitely want a super lightweight stroller.

We still haven't started solids. I don't know if I think she's not ready or if I'm not ready, but it just doesn't feel like time yet. I wanted to start her on a fruit but my sister told me that you shouldn't give them sweet things first because it will make them only like sweet things. Which sounds like bunk to me because breast milk is super sweet.

We went to my cousin's wedding on Friday, which was "adults only". I didn't want to leave Elsa for that long, even though she did great but I really wanted to be there for my cousin. And of course, my sister and I were literally the only people there who did not bring their kids. So now I'm pretty peeved. I suppose everyone else there might have just been really tacky people who just ignored the invitation, but I find that a little hard to believe. There were at least nine kids there besides the bride and groom's three.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#140 of 156 Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM

Strollers: we just bought a used Bob jogging stroller (for $100 - they retail at about $400 new) from a friend and it is AWESOME!!!!! AWESOME, I say! I only had a Graco with DS1 (that the bucket snapped into) and in comparison, the Bob is like the Ferrari and the Graco is like....a wheelbarrow. It is so lightweight, maneuvers so easily - I had no idea strollers could be so great. We also have a cheap umbrella stroller for really quick trips where small is better. But mostly I use my Ergo from DS1. I can use regular slings for short stints, but since DS2 is 22 lbs+, having all the weight on one shoulder gets old fast. The Ergo is much better at distributing all his baby chub weight.

August is really moving now! Still army crawling, but when he's got his eye on something, he can really hustle for it!

Food: so far we've tried apple slices (peeled), avocado, banana, and cantelope. He seems mildly amused by all of it. Haven't done any purees yet, but probably soon.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#141 of 156 Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM

Hello all and welcome MrsC

I noticed in 'new posts' that a DDC from 2006 had a happy 4th birthday thread. I wonder if we'll all still be around then...

Food: I gave DD a tiny piece of nectarine today and she had no idea what to do with it. So then I let her suck/chew on a larger piece and she gnawed off a nice sized chunk and scared me! I got it out of her mouth, but I really don't think I am going to be able to do BLW, at least not until she is a little older. She absolutely loved having food in her mouth though, huge smiles and lots of happy noises. And a little whining when I took it away.

Strollers: We've been really happy with our Combi stroller. I love, love, love how small and compact it is when open and closed. The storage basket is small, but we bought some of those stroller hooks and hang bags there if we need to. I can push it with one hand, not super easy, but not difficult either. I can actually push my side by side combi with one hand too.

I bought a double breast pump from a friend today, I'm super "pumped" about it! I don't need to pump often, but I might be getting a parttime job, and then I'll need to pump once a night.

Ninetales - that totally sucks about the wedding, I would not be happy about that!

Mama to three

#142 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM

I got this nice little hand powered baby food mill recently. you just put the food in and turn a little thing and it clears out all the rubble and purees the food up nicely.
Today I had the most delicious perfectly ripe plum. I pureed up a portion of it and fed it to ds- he loved it. He has also tried applesauce and some very thin pureed oatmeal- very watery. He liked that too. I am thinking of offering squash pureed up at some point. He has only tried food a few times- and then I give him only breastmilk again for a few days. He is doing well with it so far- but food makes the poop less mild than plain breastmilk poop.
#143 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 AM

Solids poop is one reason I'm in no hurry to get DS on solids! I keep trying, but DS isn't interested in any fruit except bananas. He makes terrible faces at pears, and peaches. Oh yeah, he did gnaw on that piece of pepper a few days ago. But that means I have to sit there and hold it for him, and honestly I can't be bothered. I'm going to get one of those mesh feeders and see if he'll gnaw some pepper or whatever in that.

The "don't feed sweet things" is bunk to me too. Babies are designed to like sweet things! We started with fruits with DD and she's overall an awesome eater now, except for potatoes. She hates potatoes. Who hates potatoes, for goodness sake!

DS is army crawling well - but this morning he realized that he can cover a lot more ground if he just keeps rolling over and over. He's not safe to leave for the bathroom or whatever any more!

Strollers - we have our old wheelbarrow...er...graco, and a smaller, lighter-weight one. Don't love either of them, but I'm getting hip and knee pain from carriers, so nothing's perfect right now. DH wants to get us a jogging stroller so that he can take the kiddos in his road races - I guess we can start looking at any point now - DS is sitting well.

#144 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Checking in right quick...Things are really busy here with the start of homeschool. Just waiting for the kids to get cleaned up for lunch.

I got the proofs for Caleb's 6 month professional shots today.

If anyone would like to see:

Please visit http://www.collages.net, and fill in the following information:

Username: Senadanos Month 6
Password: 6223

And yes, I know my photographer has lousy spelling. It will ask you for your email to log in, but they don't send any spam (except I think one email when the online session is about to expire to extend it or buy pics).

On food, Caleb is odd. He doesn't really like sweet stuff. He'll eat applesauce and sweet potatoes, but didn't like bananas or peaches. Loves peas and green beans.

And Perdita, my oldest doesn't like potatoes unless they are in the form of a french fry. Craziest thing. Maybe I ate too many of them while preggo? I craved mashed potatoes my entire first trimester with her.

#145 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM

Nicole, Caleb is such a cutie!

Ninetales, I would be upset about the wedding, too!

Ladies, my birthday is coming up, and it's an important number, so I am going to force my husband to get me something really cool from the US, but I can't choose which one: Wii Fit or Amazon Kindle? Kindle b/c I can't get English books easily here, or Wii Fit b/c I freaking hate repetitive, boring exercise? Hmmmmm...

(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#146 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM

aramat - that's a tough decision. I think I'd go with the Kindle though, because I know I'd use it all the time. I only work out in spurts.

Potatoes - DS is not a big fan either, I think it's a texture thing. In many forms they are kind of grainy. He will eat french fries sometimes and mashed really well once in awhile.

Mama to three

#147 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM

potatoes: My 7 year old has just come around to liking them. He ate them as a baby and that was it. I wondered the same thing - how could one not eat them

Honey Dew melon: my baby just ate some and LOVED IT...It was sooooooo sweet, no wonder!

#148 of 156 Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM

I was just browsing aorund the internet and I clicked on something that said "your 4-7 month old and sleep". Of course it is a topic that interests me. I found a "mainstream" CIO encouraging site- but the advice on sleep they gave was so much worse than I had understood it to be.
They were not only encouraging that age baby to CIO, but for the parents not even to FEED the baby if they cry at night! I had always thought that even if a parent practiced CIO, that night feedings were a given with little babies. It made me feel sad to read so i just had to vent to others who would also understand!
Not that I want others to feel sad lol. but I was just surprised to see a philosophy of sleep "training" that said that if you feed your baby at night at this age they will get used to it and they should be sleeping through the night.

My ds usually nurses twice in the night (in addition to the nursing before going to sleep and before the nursing of wake up) and to me this is just what he needs right now.
#149 of 156 Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 AM

My sweet lu nurses frequently at night right now - seems like every hour - as my supply is very low. When it was ample, she would nurse once around 3 am and then again at 6 am.
(Im not going to look at the sight ), but I have no problem nursing her when she needs it, although it also seems that the fuller her belly is before she goes to sleep, the longer she sleeps for.

#150 of 156 Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Katie - that kind of advice really upsets me too. Aside from sounding mean, and how on earth can they know if the baby's hungry, frankly feeding the baby is the quickest way to get them back to sleep!

I have no idea how many times DS nurses during the night. A lot, because he's right next to me. It's unbelievable to many of my friends/family that I actually actively CHOSE to do this (after doing it with DD simply because other ways weren't working). Seems to me that these little ones are so distracted during the day, night is when they're getting a lot of their calories! And DD eventually night-weaned and has wonderful sleep - I'm hoping for a repeat.

And oh yeah, my DD has NO problem eating DH's home-made french fries - she says they're not really potatoes ... LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page