Mothering Forum banner

FEB 2010 August thread

6K views 155 replies 21 participants last post by  Ninetales 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! No one had started a new thread so I did.

Elsa is now on once-monthly chiropractor visits, which is great because now I can start going back once we save up for x-rays. My back is seriously messed up and even though it's not a great time financially, I want to start getting it right once and for all. Luckily I can still wear her without too much issue.

She's not sitting up yet, but I think it's because she's just not interested. She can get everything she wants on her tummy or back. Once she can crawl I think she'll be more open to sitting.

My mom got her an exersaucer from a yard sale that I'm going to hose down this week for her. I think she'll like it.

It seems that she's no longer happy about napping on my lap. Everyone probably thinks I'm crazy because I'm sad over that. Most people ask for ways to get them to sleep elsewhere, but I always loved it. But now she seems to need to be in bed to nap - the living room is too distracting or something. Bye bye naptime cuddling.

See less See more
#52 ·
We gave DS some banana yesterday evening, on the eve of his 6-month birthday. I cut slices up into small pieces (not mashed) and popped one in his mouth. After giving me a funny look, he chewed it up and swallowed, then opened his mouth for more.

He did try to pick them up, but bananas are slippery... he ate about 5 little pieces but had trouble with the last one (perhaps bigger, or perhaps tired) so we stopped there. I'm calling it a success. We'll try it again this evening assuming that he seems happy today - so far so good.

This time 6 months ago, we were calling relatives to tell them that DS was born.. wow...

#53 ·
Hey everyone.. my girlfriend keri told me about this site yesterday and I've been reading the thread. I'm a sahm, work pt from home. My little Benjamin is 6 months and 3 days old. he started crawling this week and cut his first tooth yesterday. I came to this site to get support from others for EC and HBAC. I want to do both! I just got a potty yesterday for Benji and I'm going to give the EC a shot. Here's hoping it works! I also had Ben via csection and am hoping for a home birth for the next kid (whenever that happens!)

anyways, just wanted to jump in a say hi to everyone. I'm so glad my friend showed me this site!

Jessica

#54 ·
Well we got a little chunker here too! The rolls on his legs are just delicious. In fact we'll be moving him up to the next size carseat next week (we had it shipped to g'rents house in Spain). I have a huge questions about that but maybe I should just ask them in the Fam Safety forum??? ie. here in France it seems to be the law to switch to ff at 9kg

So today we are off to Cannes to visit a friend this aft! I hope to also get to see Monaco too, and maybe the Italian riviera. Baby boy is usually good in the car, but sometimes it's a bit of drama and I end up pulling out a boob in the backseat while DH drives.
So fingers crossed for peaceful driving.

We got an amber teething necklace yesterday in the mail. I took it off for sleep yesterday and put it on again this morning. Do you mamas really think it helps?

Next week we are off to Spain again. I'll post a picture from our last flight just because I think my little man is freaking adorable.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...00602-1252.jpg

I also did something I vowed not to upon becoming a mama. I cut my hair. I like it though. Actually I just sat it the chair and said do whatever you think is best and the stylist had a blast (he said no one ever does that, haha)! I just didn't want to do the typical thing, but it actually is pretty great and I seem to have stopped shedding.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P8040119.jpg

I think I might try and book something with an osteopath as my back is starting to bother me again in the same way as during the last months of pregnancy. I also want to get the boy adjusted too as there was some pushing that went on during his birth.

Pics Galore:
Propped in the high chair :
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P8020057.jpg
A Kiss :
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P8110066.jpg
Baby in a POÄNG :
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P8050009.jpg

Welcome to all the new Feb 2010 mamas and lots of happy vacation vibes to all the families that are out and about!

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linchi View Post

Next week we are off to Spain again. I'll post a picture from our last flight just because I think my little man is freaking adorable.
When you fly to spain do you happen to fly spanair? We are flying to barcelona on tuesday and was hoping I could get clarity on the luggage allowed for me and an in seat infant. All I can find is one bag for me and a carryon (diaperbag?) and then a pram/pushchair for the baby. Is that all she can have or do they let us have a little bag for her too? Can we put blankets int he bottom of the pram?

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
When you fly to spain do you happen to fly spanair? We are flying to barcelona on tuesday and was hoping I could get clarity on the luggage allowed for me and an in seat infant. All I can find is one bag for me and a carryon (diaperbag?) and then a pram/pushchair for the baby. Is that all she can have or do they let us have a little bag for her too? Can we put blankets int he bottom of the pram?
We aren't flying Spanair. This time we are living it up on Iberia, haha.

http://www.spanair.com/web/en-gb/Luggage/

For the price of one of your tickets I'd consider bumping up to premium just to get the extra checked bag for baby's belongings!You can bring a stroller, but at the gate you'll have to fold it up and give it to an attendant (might not want loose things in the bottom as they might get lost). We've flown cheapie Euro airlines and have never been given baby luggage rights, even when baby's ticket was more expensive than one of ours (looking at you Ryanair
) We've always bought extra luggage as small squishy babies need at least a carry-on for themselves in our experience. Although maybe in a cruise ship cabin less is more!

#57 ·
Quote:

We aren't flying Spanair. This time we are living it up on Iberia, haha.

http://www.spanair.com/web/en-gb/Luggage/

For the price of one of your tickets I'd consider bumping up to premium just to get the extra checked bag for baby's belongings!You can bring a stroller, but at the gate you'll have to fold it up and give it to an attendant (might not want loose things in the bottom as they might get lost). We've flown cheapie Euro airlines and have never been given baby luggage rights, even when baby's ticket was more expensive than one of ours (looking at you Ryanair
) We've always bought extra luggage as small squishy babies need at least a carry-on for themselves in our experience. Although maybe in a cruise ship cabin less is more!

hmmm... now if only I can figure out how to upgrade us... I think we will be ok bc we have to manuever a bag each plus the baby in the stroller. She will be in an infant car seat that attaches to the stroller, I hope that is ok!!! But do you think they really weigh your carry on?!

#58 ·
Quote:

hmmm... now if only I can figure out how to upgrade us... I think we will be ok bc we have to manuever a bag each plus the baby in the stroller. She will be in an infant car seat that attaches to the stroller, I hope that is ok!!! But do you think they really weigh your carry on?!
Did you buy her a seat? If not they won't let you bring a car seat without it counting as an extra piece of luggage (and she won't be able to sit in it either). Plus your stroller has to be one of those super compact ones that really fold down small (like MacLaren) or else they won't accept it. I know this because ours is too big! Do you really need the car seat?
As for weighing carry ons I just act super nonchalant and swing it over my shoulder making it seem lighter
Good luck and Bon Voyage!

#59 ·
Quote:

Did you buy her a seat? If not they won't let you bring a car seat without it counting as an extra piece of luggage (and she won't be able to sit in it either). Plus your stroller has to be one of those super compact ones that really fold down small (like MacLaren) or else they won't accept it. I know this because ours is too big! Do you really need the car seat?
As for weighing carry ons I just act super nonchalant and swing it over my shoulder making it seem lighter
Good luck and Bon Voyage!
Oh really? I thought that I could just gate check the stroller/car seat combo. We were going to bring the car seat in case we needed to take a cab in Barcelona and because she can't sit by herself in the stroller. Are you sure about this? http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/travel...s-30-chic.aspx this is what we have. We have the seat in the stroller, otherwise it is not safe bc she can't sit on her own.

#60 ·
Quote:

I also did something I vowed not to upon becoming a mama. I cut my hair. I like it though. Actually I just sat it the chair and said do whatever you think is best and the stylist had a blast (he said no one ever does that, haha)!
Oooh if I could trust a stylist to make my hair look that good, I'd be in the seat NOW! Gorgeous! I got my hair cut last month, and had a miscommunication with the stylist and she cut lots of layers in my hair - so now I can't put it back in a ponytail without lots of pins. And a ponytail is my only option so that DS doesn't swing from my hair when I pick him up!

Welcome Jessica! There's at least a couple of us here doing EC - we're doing so well with it and I almost want another baby just so I can try it from birth! Have you checked out the EC forum?

#61 ·
Quote:

We got an amber teething necklace yesterday in the mail. I took it off for sleep yesterday and put it on again this morning. Do you mamas really think it helps?
Not sure if they help, but they sure are pretty!

Quote:

Adorable!

Quote:

I also did something I vowed not to upon becoming a mama. I cut my hair. I like it though. Actually I just sat it the chair and said do whatever you think is best and the stylist had a blast (he said no one ever does that, haha)! I just didn't want to do the typical thing, but it actually is pretty great and I seem to have stopped shedding.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P8040119.jpg
It looks great! I love short sassy haircuts.

Quote:
He is a sweetie!

Living vicariously through you and Lauren and all your travels!

#64 ·
I LOOOOOVE amber--for myself and my babies--but, sigh, I also do not think it actually does anything. But my babies genetically don't have trouble teething anyway, so I'm lucky there.

I took Julianna to a postpartum moms' group yesterday, and she was SOOOO CUTE! Normally she doesn't like to be near other women who aren't Mommy -- she only smiles for MEN when we're out -- but she seemed to love being around all the other babies, even though she was by far the oldest. She was sitting between my legs on the floor, playing, flashing everyone smiles, singing, nursing, giggling. It was nice to see my baby relaxing outside of the house. Me, on the other hand -- I need a Portuguese tutor STAT b/c I didn't understand anything!

#66 ·
I think our amber helps. Elsa's first tooth, before we got it, was horrible. She was inconsolable for days until it broke through. She cut two incisors this morning after only one really hard day. It could be coincidence but I really think it was helpful.

#67 ·
Am I crazy? My husband was carrying his Breyers all natural vanilla ice cream to his seat and decided that the baby needed some!!! WTF!?!??! I was s omad at him. Am I crazy?! It was like half of a dime size amount, nothing more and she did not seem to love it but WTF!? Could this be that bad?

#68 ·
Quote:

Am I crazy? My husband was carrying his Breyers all natural vanilla ice cream to his seat and decided that the baby needed some!!! WTF!?!??! I was s omad at him. Am I crazy?! It was like half of a dime size amount, nothing more and she did not seem to love it but WTF!? Could this be that bad?
I'd be a bit upset; I tell my husband ALL THE TIME that "they don't know what they're missing" when it comes to sweets, so to just stall on them until the kid is at least old enough to ask. He didn't 'believe' me with our toddler, and now it can be hard to get her to eat well, so I am already reminding him often not to make this mistake w/Juju!

#69 ·
Any Diva users?

TMI, sorry.

How much bleeding is too much?

Just got my first PP AF today.

I used the Diva Cup between Shane and Caleb. On my heaviest day I could go 4-6 hours and the cup would only be about 3/4ths of the way full. This would last for 24-48 hours, then would gradually taper down, with my average cycle lasting 5-7 days.

Today I am overflowing the cup every three hours. I had spotting yesterday, then when I got up this morning it was overflowing - thought it was just from going overnight, but since then I've had it overflow after just 3 hours. Is this just because it is the first PP cycle? How much bleeding is too much? I know normally they say a pad per hour, but I'm not sure how that compares...

#71 ·
Lauren- I would be really upset, not just because of the sweets aspect but the whole dairy thing and um solids at all if you haven't started yet? I don't know, I would be really upset but I wouldn't worry about my baby. I would just figure it was time for some good communication with DH

Nicole- I am not sure how much is too much? but I definitely didn't get anywhere close to that much this past AF. My first cycle postpartum was kind of heavy at times but not too bad or even close to filling up the cup, more like half. I am not much help but that is my experience

#72 ·
Lauren - I totally understand you being upset, that would piss me off too! That said, it would hvae bothered me way more with my first. The second time around I'm much more relaxed and realize that stuff happens and it will all be okay. It's hard to get to that point though.

Nicole - that does sound like a lot...but since it is your first AF, I'm sure it's not too abnormal. If you start feeling dizzy/icky or it lasts more than a day then I'd get it checked out.

#73 ·
Re: Diva. I just started using it last cycle. I didn't get as much as you are describing.

Re: ice cream. eek! I'd be mad, or at least...ahem..."authoritative," since he obviously didn't realize that wasn't cool
. We don't do sweets for the first year, just on principle. But it really bothers extended family, who want to get baby smiles the lazy way.

Re: amber. The necklaces are very pretty, but I'm not sure it really helped my DD. Not sure if I'll do it this time around or not. DD might get mad if I put hers on the baby, but I don't want to buy a second one.

Hiya everybody! We're busy and happy around here, still trying to sell the house, watching the baby grow. All good.

#74 ·
hi- I guess ds must be "teething"- I put it in quotes as he doesn't have any teeth yet (he is 5 months tomorrow) but he sure has gotten more fussy than usual! Not all the time, but noticeably less content- easier to freak out and stuff

Any teething tips? Wehave lots of things for him to chew on.I tried freezing a wet wash cloth but he wasn;t interested.

Otherwise we are doing okay! He is generally a happy little guy just has his moments- becoming more "demanding" and assertive of his needs.
Yestserday I managed to leave him with dh for 3 and a 1/2 hours while I went to see the movie Eat Pray Love- which I loved ( I had already read the book) and ds did okay with that. That felt good. We actually tried to do that the nigth before but dh called me part way in cause ds wasn't settling. So it was nice to do it yesterday!

#75 ·
hi- I guess ds must be "teething"- I put it in quotes as he doesn't have any teeth yet (he is 5 months tomorrow) but he sure has gotten more fussy than usual! Not all the time, but noticeably less content- easier to freak out and stuff

Any teething tips? Wehave lots of things for him to chew on.I tried freezing a wet wash cloth but he wasn;t interested.

Otherwise we are doing okay! He is generally a happy little guy just has his moments- becoming more "demanding" and assertive of his needs.
Yestserday I managed to leave him with dh for 3 and a 1/2 hours while I went to see the movie Eat Pray Love- which I loved ( I had already read the book) and ds did okay with that. That felt good. We actually tried to do that the nigth before but dh called me part way in cause ds wasn't settling. So it was nice to do it yesterday!

#76 ·
Re: the ice cream - I'd probably be more upset at the principal of the thing than the actual danger. Grrrr. MIL tried to feed DS apple pie (with pastry) last night - I think I was a little "authoritative" too as I yelled "no! please don't!" and DH grabbed her hand. Sigh. She had just watched us offer him a sliver of steamed carrot and him refuse so I don't know what she was thinking (not much of anything probably...)

Teething.. DD showed signs of teething at 5 months but didn't get any teeth until 10.5 months.. we used chilled wet cloths, those plastic chillable teethers, and Motrin. We're eschewing the plastic this time and offering Sophie the Giraffe and cloths instead. I am not against using medication if it gets really bad at night, but it was very rare with DD and I plan to use it even more sparingly with DS. I may try the homeopathic stuff too. I don't think that I'll try the amber necklace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.