Mothering Forum banner

FEB 2010 August thread

6K views 155 replies 21 participants last post by  Ninetales 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! No one had started a new thread so I did.

Elsa is now on once-monthly chiropractor visits, which is great because now I can start going back once we save up for x-rays. My back is seriously messed up and even though it's not a great time financially, I want to start getting it right once and for all. Luckily I can still wear her without too much issue.

She's not sitting up yet, but I think it's because she's just not interested. She can get everything she wants on her tummy or back. Once she can crawl I think she'll be more open to sitting.

My mom got her an exersaucer from a yard sale that I'm going to hose down this week for her. I think she'll like it.

It seems that she's no longer happy about napping on my lap. Everyone probably thinks I'm crazy because I'm sad over that. Most people ask for ways to get them to sleep elsewhere, but I always loved it. But now she seems to need to be in bed to nap - the living room is too distracting or something. Bye bye naptime cuddling.

See less See more
#77 ·
Can I just say AF sucks? I think it is slowing down now, but I estimate it's been close to 6 ounces already, which from what I've read is like double the "average" amount for an entire cycle - and it's been 36 hours. Ugh!

With AF we have started to wean to formula. Caleb is only getting boobies at night - he needs more cuddling than actual food then, so it's easier to just let him nurse for a few minutes than get up and make a bottle. I'm hoping that he will night wean on his own as I dry up and maybe even consider STTN. That would be nice, as I could then move him to the kids' room and DH and I could have our grown up space again. We have a weigh-in today, so I'll keep y'all posted.

On foods - I would have been a little upset about the ice cream, but only because of the dairy. Other stuff not so much. Though Caleb is also 6.5 months old and no history of food allergies in the family, so I'm pretty lax on that front.

#78 ·
Thanks guys, I think DH now understands why I was upset. I worked so hard so give this baby only breast milk and to do right by her, you know? I felt like he robbed us as a family of her "first food." I wanted her first food to be on camera
Eitherway it was like a dime size if that and she did not like it so I am going to say it was NOT her first food. His mom fed his brother sprite when he was only 14 months old and complains now that he is 2.5 that all he eats is french fries and quesadillas... because literally that is all she feeds him since he was 18 months that is "all he wanted."
OK, DH and I had a talk and we are on the same page. He said, I did not think dairy was bad bc my brothers and sisters all were FF and that is made from cows milk.

#80 ·
I thought I wouldn't have to worry about babyproofing until she actually crawled. Oh LOL. This kid can scootch faster than some people walk, I swear. She's so funny. She is totally uninterested in sitting. When I try to sit her up she just rolls onto her tummy and is off to the races. I get the impression she finds sitting pointless.

My stepsister is a semi-professional photographer and is looking to do some family portraits for her portfolio and hopefully will be coming by to do ours soon.
I need a family picture, and hopefully she'll have time to do some nice six month pictures of Elsa too. I try to take quality pictures too, but most of mine are candids.

We went to our town's big festival on Saturday. I was looking forward to wearing her around. I was all set with my Ergo accessories (backpack, waist pouch, sucking pads) but it was soooo hot and she missed her nap because she was too interested in the parade, so she just wanted to sleep in her stroller. It worked out anyway because we bought some homemade soap and washrags and used books and they could go in the basket. We all had a good time. We're planning a tentative zoo trip for Friday since summer is quickly coming to an end. Where does the time go?

#81 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Thanks guys, I think DH now understands why I was upset. I worked so hard so give this baby only breast milk and to do right by her, you know? I felt like he robbed us as a family of her "first food." I wanted her first food to be on camera
Eitherway it was like a dime size if that and she did not like it so I am going to say it was NOT her first food. His mom fed his brother sprite when he was only 14 months old and complains now that he is 2.5 that all he eats is french fries and quesadillas... because literally that is all she feeds him since he was 18 months that is "all he wanted."
OK, DH and I had a talk and we are on the same page. He said, I did not think dairy was bad bc my brothers and sisters all were FF and that is made from cows milk.

From what I understand formula is processed differently to make it easier to digest, but I thought ice cream was pretty much the same as giving straight milk? I know yogurt is ok earlier on too. But I can't remember what is and what isn't so we don't do any straight dairy until 1 year. DH is lactose intolerant, I'm thinking because his mom started whole milk way early (was very poor and couldn't afford formula), so that is one that I'm careful on.

#82 ·
Hi kezler, I have a Benjamin too!
We halfway EC, when I'm not being lazy. It worked really well for a while, but right now Ben doesn't want to be on the potty, he just wants to jump up and run around instead.

I'm another Diva user. I didn't get that much, but I wouldn't think it unusual for a returning AF. Just annoying!

I'd be annoyed about the ice cream, but there's nothing you can really do about it, is there? Just like my dad feeding DS1 syrup when he was four months old - my mom yelled at him, but I just shrugged it off (after putting a stop to it, of course). We didn't count it as the real first food, either.
Some people just don't know baby-feeding protocols, I guess. When my dad was a baby they started giving him orange juice and Karo syrup at one month, so at least he waited!

I'm doomed over here - on Friday Benjamin really figured out what walking is for. He's been stepping when you hold his hands for months, but we were at a little playground, and I could see it click in his brain - "When you walk, you can get to places you want to be!" Now whenever I go to pick him up he tries to grab my hands so he can walk around instead.
It's going to be just like it was with DS1, walking the baby around for the next year... I hope my back can take another one.

#83 ·
Well, the formula appears to be working for Caleb. He was 17 pounds at WIC today, so up about a pound in 3 weeks.

And I guess AF was just normal for me - she's still really heavy (about half full every 4 hours now) but my iron was 14.1 at WIC so I'm not losing too much blood or anything.

#84 ·
NicoleS - that's good your iron levels were good, still though, that totally sucks to have a period that heavy! hopefully next time is better

harpersmion - was that you who posted a picture before of your LO standing while you held onto one arm at like 3 months? you have a strong little boy!

#85 ·
Actually, that was a few days before he turned two moths old.
He's a crazy standing baby. He's pulled up to stand a few times now on his own! And here he is balancing with only the help of his shaky little play gym, a month or so ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapersm...7624239453800/

His big brother was the same way, though it didn't occur to me to try standing him up until one day I took him by the hands while he was lying down and he just stood right up on his own.
Here he is at 4 months: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapersm...7594139240302/

#86 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
Actually, that was a few days before he turned two moths old.
He's a crazy standing baby. He's pulled up to stand a few times now on his own! And here he is balancing with only the help of his shaky little play gym, a month or so ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapersm...7624239453800/
That photo made me giggle. Super-baby!!

#87 ·
My baby is 7 months old today! CRAZY! and I sure hope we are getting some more teeth because he has been a pill the past 24hours. It sure makes me worn out when he just wants to be held and sometimes even that isn't enough. I also cannot get rid of a diaper rash that he has had. It does not seem to irritate him but I feel like I have tried everything! It is kind of dry skin/red irritation and is worse when he is scooting around on his belly. He is army crawling/scooting now and LOVES to get into everything. He has a distinct personality and is super laid back and loves to laugh. I really enjoy him and I think that is a fun aspect of motherhood I didn't really understand. Night nursing is easily 4-7 times a night and that is just about to kill my back. I cannot figure out another way to get him to sleep though. He rolls all around the bed in his sleep. Lately he has ended up with him horizontal between me and DH and then rolling anywhere between that. It is a little humorous but sometimes not so much when a head smacks into you at 3am. I honestly do not remember what it was like to sleep 3-4 hours at a time. As much as I love cosleeping, I will really like the whole spreading out and sleeping hours at a time thing again. I figure that I will probably get this a little bit before the next baby? We will see.
I meant to say this last time but welcome new people! hapersmion- that is crazy! cool but crazy!

#89 ·
Boo!
It seems my husband can now not take any vacation this year. Tough luck being the top guy in his office. Some contracts that they have been working on all year are finally coming in. This sucks because we have tickets that were purchased months ago. And now I will be going to the in laws with the sole grandchild all by my lonesome.

MIL soapbox rants to come.

#90 ·
I'm totally nervous over something that is probably silly, but I am a freak when it comes to illnesses.

Yesterday we went to a playgroup and a little girl there kept touching Elsa and getting her face and grabbing her hands (which Elsa contsantly puts in her mouth). I tried to keep the girl back, but there is only so much you can do without sounding like a rude b****. Plus, I am trying to be more relaxed about things because illness is an issue for me. Well, turns out that little girl got diagnosed with strep throat today. I just want to cry (doesn't help I am PMSing). I'm sure Elsa won't get it too bad, if she does get it, because of breastfeeding. But DS will probably get it too then and so will I. And UGH I am just dreading it. Plus, the kids insurance didn't go through (state) and who knows what will happen at the doctor's. Do I even have to go to the Doctor for strep? Anything we can do to prevent it? We have ACV and probiotics in the house, guess I better just load us up...

And linchi - that totally sucks!!

#91 ·
Anyone have experience with this: DS has occasionally woken up screaming/crying hard. Nothing seems to preceed it, he will just cry and not stop. He is not actually awake and no amount of me talking, moving him, or lights will wake him up. We literally just have to wait until he wakes up. Once he wakes up, he is totally fine. Is this normal? Has anyone had this happen before?

#92 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
Anyone have experience with this: DS has occasionally woken up screaming/crying hard. Nothing seems to preceed it, he will just cry and not stop. He is not actually awake and no amount of me talking, moving him, or lights will wake him up. We literally just have to wait until he wakes up. Once he wakes up, he is totally fine. Is this normal? Has anyone had this happen before?
It sounds like night terrors. My oldest started getting them around 6 months. Hers were more likely to occur when overtired.

#93 ·
Quote:

Just wanted to say that totally happens here. We do what you do - just wait and everything seems to be normal after he wakes up. I had no idea babies had night terrors! On the subject of dreams, has anyone seen this blog: http://milasdaydreams.blogspot.com/
I love the creativity of this mom!

Ok, so we have been wearing the amber necklace off and on. Sometimes I have forgotten to put it on in the morning.
I agree with you ladies, he looks so cute with it on! (so if it is purely for asthetic reasons...
) But, I am wondering if there is a coincidence that I have been nipped without it on and never with him wearing it. My results aren't in yet though. We have yet to get a tooth!

I have no idea on the strep Nicole730 ! I am so sorry at the posibility of an ill baby / family! We've been there
. All I know is that I got it a ton as a kid and I am pretty sure we went to the doc most times for antibiotics (but is that the same treatment for an infant?). In any case it takes a while to incubate, no? So start taking Vit D & C , eating lots of garlic and preparing your body for the fight! I can't imagine not being covered by insurance to take my kid (or myself) to a doctor if it was needed
That must be really stressful. (I'm Canadian)

So, baby boy loves to stand up on his legs. He also loves tummy time, but we aren't close to crawling I don't think. When he does practice, it looks like he is swimming. Also he is crazy working on those abs trying to sit up. Also, I heard an 'sss' sound the other day.

Thats it. I am starting to pack for our trip. Not only are baby and I going to stay at the in laws wihout DH, but we fly out on my birthday. I'm still pouting.

#94 ·
Linchi that sucks that your husband has to work on your family vacation. did you say that you are going to visit his parents, and now he isn't coming? and I thought you also said you have issues with your MIL? I didn't read all the posts about it so clarify it if you want.

#95 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
Linchi that sucks that your husband has to work on your family vacation. did you say that you are going to visit his parents, and now he isn't coming? and I thought you also said you have issues with your MIL? I didn't read all the posts about it so clarify it if you want.
Yup, I'm getting shipped off to his folks! haha
My MIL is a good person, hell, she raised her son to be the man I fell in love with - so I really shouldn't complain too much. I just think we are very different and often our opinions fall on opposing sides. (ie. she heard from someone and now believes that babies get sick when they don't wear socks/ shoes and there is no way I am gonna put socks on a baby when it is almost 40 degrees celcius in southern Spain) So, if I come back on here in a couple of days with lots of non-smiley posts please bear with me.

#96 ·
Flavorful, it sounds like night terrors. I have no personal experience, but some friends of mine have. They found that altering bedtimes and even waking the child up once before the usual terror time helped them stop.

Nicole, hope Elsa (and the rest of you) don't really get sick!

Linchi, I feel the same way about my MIL. We both are very sincere and well-meaning, but we both just actually believe that different things are true. Mine just moved here about a month ago, so we've got some major adjustments to go through. Good luck on your trip!

We've got a professional photographer (hired by our new realtor) coming in two hours to photograph the house. He says it doesn't have to be perfectly clean, just all picked up. Sounds easy, but I doubt it will be!

DS is still nine days from 6 months, but no one told him. He thinks he's four like my DD. Ha. I love the pics of your all's babies. Here's mine.

#97 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linchi View Post
My MIL is a good person, hell, she raised her son to be the man I fell in love with - so I really shouldn't complain too much. I just think we are very different and often our opinions fall on opposing sides. (ie. she heard from someone and now believes that babies get sick when they don't wear socks/ shoes and there is no way I am gonna put socks on a baby when it is almost 40 degrees celcius in southern Spain) So, if I come back on here in a couple of days with lots of non-smiley posts please bear with me.

I had our turkish/russian babysitter over yesterday, for a few hours, and when I returned home both my kids had socks on! My 7 year old said she told him to put on socks so he didn't catch a cold. And this babysitter is only 19! Partner is Turkish and when we are visiting grandma in Turkey she insists on socks!

#98 ·
Anyone have any experience with weaning where the child wasn't sleeping through the night?

We had to switch Caleb to formula - I was hoping to nurse at night but my milk dried up in 2 days. But he's used to nursing to sleep, and the bottle just isn't cutting it - he's not hungry, so gets angry when there's milk. If I try to lay him down awake he's up again less than an hour later. Last night I ended up holding him (while holding a binky in his mouth) for over an hour at 1 AM to get him to go to sleep. There has to be an easier way! My other kids didn't need to eat at night by the time they switched to formula, so we've never had this problem before.

#99 ·
Quote:

Wow - this happened to us too on the weekend! I thought DS had been hurt somehow - perhaps I had caught a toe in the bedsheets or something. I wonder if this was the same thing. I kept trying to get him to nurse, but he wouldn't.

#100 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. The night terrors sounds right. The only time this has happened was if he was really over tired and just could not go to sleep and stay asleep. It was horrible! I am hoping that he will get better sleep. He is working on either both or one of his front teeth and so he has not slept well for a couple of days, add that to just coming home from vacation...yeah we are tired. He was all smiles this morning which made me feel better

Interesting about the socks. I have had people tell me to put a hat on my babe and my gmother has asked about socks during a 90+ degree day. I would be hot in socks!

Linchi- that sucks. I honestly could not go and be with the in-laws by myself. kudos to you! thanks for the blog, DS would never sleep through all of that! but neat concept.

Happileigh- he is so cute! Hope the pics come out well!

NicoleS- I don't know what I would do. DS has to nurse to sleep about 75% of the time. I hope it gets easier. hugs!

Nicole730- I hope you all don't get sick! I totally understand not wanting your whole house to get sick, it is so hard!

#101 ·
Quote:

Night nursing is easily 4-7 times a night and that is just about to kill my back.
Do you nurse with a pillow behind your back? I try to keep Juju night-nursing for my supply (she's more agreeable to nursing when she's half-asleep), and as long as I have a pillow above my shoulder and another tucked behind my back, I sleep quite well that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
I'm totally nervous over something that is probably silly, but I am a freak when it comes to illnesses.

Yesterday we went to a playgroup and a little girl there kept touching Elsa and getting her face and grabbing her hands (which Elsa contsantly puts in her mouth). I tried to keep the girl back, but there is only so much you can do without sounding like a rude b****. Plus, I am trying to be more relaxed about things because illness is an issue for me. Well, turns out that little girl got diagnosed with strep throat today. I just want to cry (doesn't help I am PMSing). I'm sure Elsa won't get it too bad, if she does get it, because of breastfeeding. But DS will probably get it too then and so will I. And UGH I am just dreading it. Plus, the kids insurance didn't go through (state) and who knows what will happen at the doctor's. Do I even have to go to the Doctor for strep? Anything we can do to prevent it? We have ACV and probiotics in the house, guess I better just load us up...

And linchi - that totally sucks!!
Nursing will help! And healthy kids usually take illnesses better than adults. But next time just cheerfully 'teach' the little kids "Oops, don't touch baby's hands b/c [any reason -- they are spitty, she needs to keep them clean, whatever you think would work]!" Especially if you are cheerful about the correction, the kids won't even really think anything of it.

Quote:

My oldest sleep walks and sometimes has night terrors. I have not figured out how to avoid it, but maybe it is when she is over-tired. This has happened with Juju once, and, yep, they don't wake up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by linchi View Post

I hate when my kids don't wear socks!
But mostly the older two -- because I do not like dirty feet in bed (the floors are cleaned every day, but we still have black socks by nighttime!). I wear socks all the time, too... And so does Juju... It's pretty rare that I think it's too warm for socks, I admit!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
Anyone have any experience with weaning where the child wasn't sleeping through the night?

We had to switch Caleb to formula - I was hoping to nurse at night but my milk dried up in 2 days. But he's used to nursing to sleep, and the bottle just isn't cutting it - he's not hungry, so gets angry when there's milk. If I try to lay him down awake he's up again less than an hour later. Last night I ended up holding him (while holding a binky in his mouth) for over an hour at 1 AM to get him to go to sleep. There has to be an easier way! My other kids didn't need to eat at night by the time they switched to formula, so we've never had this problem before.
Not weaning, but when I have trouble putting Ju to sleep, I still swaddle her and rock her in the bouncy seat. Have used a paci only once or twice before, but Ju doesn't have much of a need to suck. She still sleeps very well swaddled.

---

And Ju's first tooth came in yesterday! She turns 8 mos today (6 mos developmentally). No tears, not really any chewing or much drooling...

And I finally bought a baby book for her! Feeling a little bad about that, forgetting for 8 months... Better late than never, though, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.