Mothering Forum banner

FEB 2010 August thread

6K views 155 replies 21 participants last post by  Ninetales 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! No one had started a new thread so I did.

Elsa is now on once-monthly chiropractor visits, which is great because now I can start going back once we save up for x-rays. My back is seriously messed up and even though it's not a great time financially, I want to start getting it right once and for all. Luckily I can still wear her without too much issue.

She's not sitting up yet, but I think it's because she's just not interested. She can get everything she wants on her tummy or back. Once she can crawl I think she'll be more open to sitting.

My mom got her an exersaucer from a yard sale that I'm going to hose down this week for her. I think she'll like it.

It seems that she's no longer happy about napping on my lap. Everyone probably thinks I'm crazy because I'm sad over that. Most people ask for ways to get them to sleep elsewhere, but I always loved it. But now she seems to need to be in bed to nap - the living room is too distracting or something. Bye bye naptime cuddling.

See less See more
#102 ·
Just got back from Aug's 6 month check-up. He's 22 lbs 7 oz! Holy baby! He's huge. In 12 month clothes. 90% for weight, 95% for length and off the charts for head circumference! He's actually too big for his snugride, we have to move him over to our Britax.

Our naturopath (who's our ped) gave us the go-ahead for food to play with (not so much sitting there feeding him purees with a spoon) but to give him, say, a slice of apple to gnaw on, or a mesh bag with berries in it to play with, just to give him the sensation of food in his mouth. I think she said chip-sized was a good rule of thumb for the chunks. Excited to see what he thinks! She also wants us to start giving him some supplements: 800 IU of vitamin D (we're in Seattle, so not a whole lot of sun here) and 1/2 tsp of unflavored nordic naturals fish oil everyday. Not so much looking forward to the last one, because whenever we've given him ibuprofen in the past (which is berry flavored!) he HATES it. Looks like we're trying to poison him and spits a lot of it out. My older son LOVED it, so not sure what to do there...

I attribute much of my post-partum weight loss to carrying around my Michelin baby!

Oh, he's also starting to proto-crawl - kind of scooching army style. And rolling a LOT! And I'm seeing some pincher grasp coming. And I think I saw a tooth poking out on the bottom!

So much. So fast. All at once.

Here's a pic of him lazing at the beach.

#103 ·
Haven't posted here in a million years but I enjoyed reading and catching up with everyone! I just posted about my babe's sleep issues, really hoping for some MDC wisdom.

Nicole730, strep is very uncommon under the age of 18 months, and I've certainly never seen it in a 6 month old so you should be fine!

#104 ·
Elsa is scootching like a champ. I don't know what made me think we didn't need to worry about babyproofing until she started crawling. She's EVERYWHERE. We spend most of our time in the living room so we'll probably only worry about that room for now, and gate it off.

And she started babbling this weekend. She's been noisy for awhile but now there are actual consonant sounds in there. Lots of ya ya yas and ma ma mas, which I know don't mean anything to her but it does warm my heart to hear it. Plus every so often she does the happy shriek sound, which I love.

Unfortunately we're running into some pretty heavy money trouble. We have so many bills to pay that my husband's checks are pretty much gone the day he gets paid. And that's if we're lucky - if we're unlucky there's not enough to pay for food and we have to charge our groceries. And there's really not much we can cut - we have a contract for our satellite and internet as well as our phone service, so if we cancel it we have to pay out the wazoo, and the rest is rent, electricity, insurance, the hospital bill, and credit card payments. Even better, my husband's student loan deferment runs out in October.

So we're pretty much stuck with slashing the grocery bills by existing on sandwiches, pasta, and cereal, until we can get our debt paid down.

#106 ·
I would also suggest WIC - as a nursing mom you'll get food until she's a year, and at 6 months she'd get infant cereal and jarred baby food as well.

We've been feeling the squeeze here as well: I've started looking for a parttime shift where I can work a couple of hours in the evening. DH is home by 3 most days, and Caleb is taking a bottle now, so if I could find something that was say 4-10 a couple of nights a week it would help.

#107 ·
I love babies more than anything else in the world and am so in love with Juju's cheerful, pudgy little face, but there are just SOME DAYS when I almost want to jam a fork into my hand to feel ALIVE! Ugh! So bored!

Ninetales -- Sorry about the money troubles. Hope things look up for you soon. I've been reading through the Frugality & Finances board every so often; they've got some good ideas & systems over there sometimes.

#108 ·
Unfortunately we don't qualify for WIC or any other kind of assistance. All they look at is my husband's pre-tax income and say that's enough. They don't care how many bills we have.

#110 ·
Ohhh those are great pictures of Julianna! LOVE the basket pics...

We are also feeling the money crunch. We are trying to figure out how I can quit my job (50% of our income before I went on mat leave) to stay home until DS is in school. It should be doable - but it's meaning a lot of changes...

#111 ·
Ninetales - that totally sucks on the lack of money
our tax money just ran out this month and so now we are going to be cutting it close until DH gets his Christmas bonus and taxes come back again. I'm not sure where you live, but my neighborhood is full of apple and pear trees ripe with fruit right now...and when I ask they all say to take as much as I want. If you live anywhere like that you could totally get some fruit, eat some now and then make apple/pear sauce for later.

---

And thanks for the reassurances on the strep - so far we are all still healthy. We have a birthday party tomorrow though and I'm not sure if I should bring the kids or not...I guess I'll see what the day brings.

---

I applied for a partime job, I would work 4 hours an evening and it's a 5 minute drive from my home - so totally perfect - no childcare, no weekends, and no summers! I haven't heard back yet after my interview, so we'll see.

#112 ·
Juliana is such a cutie!

Keeta-love that pic!

DS: he's off the charts in length (above the 95% curve), 65% for weight (he's long and slim like daddy, but chunky thighed like mom
) and I always forget the head circumference. Rolling all around, sitting very well, and side scooting, but no crawling. He's starting to lean forward on all 4's from sitting, so it won't be long.
He was 6 months yesterday and DH gave him some mushed black beans which DS went CRAZY over. Then today there were little bits of bean skin in his diaper
He's been babbling. Mostly baba and dada (which sends DH over the moon!) with a few mama, wawa, and yayas in for good measure.

Money: ugh. Our car finally gave out. So, we'll be buying a new one at the end of the month when I start getting paid again for teaching. Bye bye paycheck. And here I wanted to buy an ergo and start saving for our end of the year move.

#113 ·
we are doing fine over here. I got freaked out about posting after that thing I mentioned which I won't repeat- but then I missed posting so here I still am

no huge news here, just growing along. We lost our Sophie the giraffe recently- argh! Right now ds is ALL about the chewing. Until we find it (or get another one!) I am trying to give ds things that suffice but seriously nothing is as good as sophie imo for the need to chew that he has. Right now he is playing w- one of those annoying crinkly books that was in my get rid of this pile- but he is thoroughly entertained so I can deal with the annoying noise for a while!

We have been having good success with ECing. Starting to catch more poops in the toilet again which is satisfying- got one today and one yesterday.

finally have a moms group so that is nice too.
ds is singing all the time! It is really baby babble but is sounds very musical to me. I sing to him all the time and we listen to music a lot so it may really be singing. He is making all sorts of cute sounds. and laughing a lot

aramat- Juju is as adorable as ever and so chubby (in a good healthy way of course!) I love the pics of her at 2 wks with the doll and then holding the doll! Sorry you are bored- gotta change that! What inspires you other than family? what do you wish you could do? what can you add to your life to regain inspiration?
hi to everyone else. sorry I can't respond to more personals, baby is need ing me- gotta go

#114 ·
Ohh I don't know what we'd do if we lost our Sophie! She's pretty much always with DS... what a great toy! I'd definitely buy another - worth the price!

DS is on his way to sitting independently, which is great! He pukes a lot though when he's sitting up - he always has. Anyone know when this tends to stop? DD rarely did this, but it's predictable with DS - every time he sits, regardless of whether he's wearing a diaper or anything... baby goo everywhere!

#115 ·
Perdita I agree about the Sophie. after 2 days of thorough searching I think it seems that we lost her on an outing and will not be able to find her. I ordered another one because nothing else is cutting it! One of the fantastic things about Sophie is that almost any angle or place that he chews on it satiates his need to chew! with many of the other chew toys it seems he has to get it just in the right spot and even then they don't fit quite right in his mouth. I just learned about those basic teethers I guess they sell everywhere but I haven't seen until recently- the ones with water in them that you freeze. But I am just gonna hold out and wait for my new sophie to come in the mail! I agree, worth the price.

It is funny (in a good way) how when you have a baby life becomes focused on things like this!

#116 ·
I had a bunch of those fluid-filled teethers for DD, but in between her being a baby and having DS, there were so many of them recalled for bacteria in the liquid that I'm staying away from them now. I'm sure they're not all created equal - but now we have Sophie, I don't feel the need to get a bunch of them. We also will freeze cloths if it seems he needs something cold, but right now Sophie does the trick. AND she's so cute!

#117 ·
yeah- yesterday I was in the grocery store and I saw those fluid filled teethers so I bought a pack- but they seem kind of yucky to me.I put one in my mouth to test it out and it had a taste I didn't like- I did give it to ds to try though- and he wasn't really into it. I think I am not gonna use them either. Hopefully Sophie will arrive today

#118 ·
We must all be busy lately - our thread was all the way on page 3!

Elsa's six month stats: 20 lbs, 5 oz, and 28.5 inches long! Whew!

She's scootching everywhere like a fiend. I can't take my eyes off her for a second now. I have a gate coming tomorrow for the top of our stairs, which will put my mind somewhat at ease. Though that won't do much for her love of power cords.

I still haven't offered her food yet. I still might, but now that she's mobile she almost doesn't seem interested anymore, so I don't know. With her scootching and screeching and all these teeth, I'm in no hurry to have her grow up any more, you know?

Got the bill today from the dentist for the last year's work. Another bill to pay, whoopee. I'm thinking about offering proofreading services over the internet and see if I can't pull in a little bit of income while I'm at home.

#119 ·
What up, homies?
Slow thread...sad...where is everyone? Come back!

Thanks for the comments on Juju's pics! She really is huge; I'm thinking ~22 lbs by the way her clothes fit. We've got to go out and get her new stuff now in size 12-18 mos.

Juju tried some (very fresh) coconut water from a cup recently; she LOVED it and lunges for the cup when she sees it. Cannot suck from a straw yet, though...can't remember when they learn that...

Sophie is a definite favorite of Julianna's, too. And after reading how Katie lost theirs, our Sophie is banned from travel outside of the house!

I am weaning off of the galactogogue I've taken for most of the last 8 months, and I am now producing slightly MORE milk!!! But I am also having mood swings, blech, hopefully will settle soon.

#120 ·
The gate will definitely help Ninetales. I am so not ready to re-baby proof this place. We are going to have to do a massive toy clean up of DS' stuff, lots of his toys are not for the baby.

Not too much going on here. I've caught one poo in the potty, but I haven't tried since. Elsa is able to move around a bit more on the floor, but because of the hardwood and the toddler, she still isn't down there very often. She seems to be obtaining that pincer grasp and her tongue thrust is starting to go away too...she will definitely be 'ready' for solids in a few weeks, I'm just not ready.
I am already mourning the loss of EBF poos. I think solids will make her happy though, she will love to be able to participate more in meal time.

Yay to producing more milk Aramat! hopefully it stays that way.

Oh - we did not get strep, woohoo! That scare made me realize I need to make sure I keep DS eating healthy foods, so we can avoid more illnesses. He is such a skinny little boy though, I'm trying to fatten him up, it's just not working. I think I will ask the doctor about DS when I take DD in for her 6 month check up. I'm trying not to be concerned about it, but he has only gained 4lbs since his 1st birthday and he's 2 years 4 months now. The only thing he is behind in developmentally is jumping, so I know he is getting enough nutrition.

#121 ·
oh, we found our Sophie

I felt silly because I ordered the next one so quickly- it arrived the day we found the old one. So now I have to send it back for a refund minus shipping. (it was in the basket in the bottom of the little stroller that we keep folded up in the car trunk)

Swaddle blanket question: Can anyone recommend a good swaddle blanket for 15 or 16 pounds and up? We have been swaddling again and it is fine- we use the miracle blanket. And I like it but it is getting too small.

#122 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
oh, we found our Sophie

I felt silly because I ordered the next one so quickly- it arrived the day we found the old one. So now I have to send it back for a refund minus shipping. (it was in the basket in the bottom of the little stroller that we keep folded up in the car trunk)
Isn't that always how it works!!

No advice on the swaddling - sorry. Neither of my kids liked it. I suspect I did it wrong!

#123 ·
Quote:

oh, we found our Sophie

Swaddle blanket question: Can anyone recommend a good swaddle blanket for 15 or 16 pounds and up? We have been swaddling again and it is fine- we use the miracle blanket. And I like it but it is getting too small.
Still swaddling Juju, but I just use whatever oversized (usually knitted) blanket is clean. Although my still-favorite and always first-used swaddler is one I made that ties or wraps; it is based on this one I found online.

#124 ·
Quote:

I've been swaddling with a sheet. It's the only thing big enough to get around him snugly.

I can't find our Sophie either. What's up with that? Are all the Sophies going to some big Sophie meeting?

I'm with the others who said they aren't ready for babyproofing. I'm in denial that we haven't sold our house yet. I want to babyproof a different house. But Worth is doing this bum scooch/hop thing in a sitting position that he is quickly perfecting as a means of getting where he wants to go. Uh-oh.

Baby has a little bit of a fever today and has been a real cranky-puss. I'm tired after waking up with him constantly last night, and sweaty from his hot little body. I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but the only way I can keep him asleep is on my lap or right next to me, so here I am trapped under his hot little sleeping self. Hoping he feels better tomorrow.

Next week I have go to a half-day of orientation at DD's preschool. I've never left DS for longer than it has taken to get my hair cut, so I've never pumped and left him a bottle. I have no idea if he'd take one. I know I need to get the stupid pump out and try, but I just hate to. It's three hours--there's the chance he won't take it anyway, and then I've gone to the trouble of pumping for nothing. I guess I could buy formula and leave that? Do you think he'd be less likely to take the formula, given that he's never taken a bottle at all? It just seems like a big pain to drag out and clean all the pump parts and go to all the trouble for a half-day thing. Hmm.

#125 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post

Next week I have go to a half-day of orientation at DD's preschool. I've never left DS for longer than it has taken to get my hair cut, so I've never pumped and left him a bottle. I have no idea if he'd take one. I know I need to get the stupid pump out and try, but I just hate to. It's three hours--there's the chance he won't take it anyway, and then I've gone to the trouble of pumping for nothing. I guess I could buy formula and leave that? Do you think he'd be less likely to take the formula, given that he's never taken a bottle at all? It just seems like a big pain to drag out and clean all the pump parts and go to all the trouble for a half-day thing. Hmm.
Eh, Ds will go more than three hours if I am not there. He has just now taken a bottle which is fine but he still wouldn't take one when we went out for our anniversary. I would just feed him before I left and when I got home. That is how DS would handle it best and I hate pumping. Well I was going to write more to respond to everyone but DS is getting upset...bed time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.