Mothering Forum banner

FEB 2010 August thread

6K views 155 replies 21 participants last post by  Ninetales 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! No one had started a new thread so I did.

Elsa is now on once-monthly chiropractor visits, which is great because now I can start going back once we save up for x-rays. My back is seriously messed up and even though it's not a great time financially, I want to start getting it right once and for all. Luckily I can still wear her without too much issue.

She's not sitting up yet, but I think it's because she's just not interested. She can get everything she wants on her tummy or back. Once she can crawl I think she'll be more open to sitting.

My mom got her an exersaucer from a yard sale that I'm going to hose down this week for her. I think she'll like it.

It seems that she's no longer happy about napping on my lap. Everyone probably thinks I'm crazy because I'm sad over that. Most people ask for ways to get them to sleep elsewhere, but I always loved it. But now she seems to need to be in bed to nap - the living room is too distracting or something. Bye bye naptime cuddling.

See less See more
#4 ·

Just checking in. Mine doesn't want to nap *anywhere* now, not on my lap, in the bed, in his crib, etc. It's this huge battle every time he has to fall asleep, even though he's desperately tired. Hate to miss something interesting, I guess! But I know he'll grow out of it...

#5 ·
I just want sleep
DS has gotten up for a couple of hours around 4am for two hours for a few times now in the past week and a half. What gives? Last night it was so much work to just get him to sleep. I had to lay in bed and hold him so that he wouldn't roll over and wake himself up. After two hours of back and forth with this I just put some pillows up against his stomach and back and he slept well until I came to bed. He nurses mostly during the night which I don't mind too much but sometimes it seems to wake him up more. He is also a huge wetter at night. Seriously, I think he saves all his pee up for night time. I put him in a kissaluvs one size diaper with another insert all wrapped up in a diaper cover and he still manages to pee through all of it before the morning. Ugh. Maybe some day I will get sleep? Of course DH sleeps through it all!

#7 ·
Mine is a huge wetter at night too! She eats all night long! She still wets during the day but it got so bad I ended up trying the disposable at night and it's the only thing that contains it! I might triple stuff a bum genius but this is ridiculous! My husband says, just change her in the middle of the night.
ummm... she is not waking up really when she eats WHY would I wake her up to change her. I am not a stealth changer at 4 am.

Our 10 night meditteranean cruise leaves in 13 days!!!! And of course there might be an airline strike the day after we are supposed to arrive in Barcelona. Fingers crossed it does not affect us

#8 ·
Hi everyone!!

Will is doing great! Learning to sit up on his own, but would rather be on his tummy or back. While on his tummy, those legs are just about ready to get crawling. It's so cute to watch him try!
And to hear his little grunts.

I'm doing pretty well. Lost some more weight, sticking to my diet, etc., Thinking about having some female surgery done soon to nip my monthly AF in the bud.
It's been super bad since I got it back - the worst ever - and my OB suggested some sort of OP surgery to have to control it. I know of some other mama's that had it done and they noticed a HUGE difference right away. Let's just say I'm going to the bathroom almost hourly to changed a overnight mama cloth!! Plus, I'm feeling super blah and extremely irritable

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
Mine is a huge wetter at night too! She eats all night long! She still wets during the day but it got so bad I ended up trying the disposable at night and it's the only thing that contains it! I might triple stuff a bum genius but this is ridiculous! My husband says, just change her in the middle of the night.
ummm... she is not waking up really when she eats WHY would I wake her up to change her. I am not a stealth changer at 4 am.

Our 10 night meditteranean cruise leaves in 13 days!!!! And of course there might be an airline strike the day after we are supposed to arrive in Barcelona. Fingers crossed it does not affect us

Holy cow!! AWESOME!!!
Have a great time!

#11 ·
Thnx for posting the link on the last thread.

Disposables leak for us overnight -- cloth works way better for us! I am using prefolds, though--usually a prefold & soaker or two prefolds.

My 9-yr-old was here with us in Brazil for a few short weeks. I put her back on the plane to the US last night... She didn't want to go, and I didn't want to make her. Feeling so heavy today.

#13 ·
aww caleb is so cute with the kitty! Yeah, I hope it is a 6mo growth spurt, I am also not sure how much bigger this kid can get! I think he is figuring out crawling or teething as well.
Lauren, what disposable to you use? We did kissaluvs onesize diaper with a prefold or insert and a cover and he peed through it in a couple of hours. I tried an overnight diaper and he peed through that really quick but it was fisher price brand bc it was cheapest

busymama, that sounds soooooo annoying w AF! I used to have horrible periods that were that heavy and just made me feel like crap. My period right now is heavier than normal pre pg but ok. AND, I love the diva cup
Hope you find a good solution!
aramat, hugs. I am sorry, I bet it is really hard to miss your little girl.

#14 ·
NicoleS--I LOVE the kitty pic. They look so cute together! Maxine is obsessed with our kitty. Especially since he is more receptive to her overtures than our dog seems to be (weird, right?).

We had a well visit yesterday--and everything went "well"...almost. The doc said he heard a bit of clicking in her left hip. So, now we have appointments for a sonogram and with an orthopedic pediatrician to hopefully rule out hip dysplasia. I am trying not to worry myself sick over this. Our doc said he was sure she's fine, but he heard the click and wants the experts to look at it.

I think we are about to get tooth number two--or tooth number one could still be bothering her. Do you all know if the teeth still hurt after they've completely emerged? Her little tooth, while not its full size, is quite visible.

And, Maxy had her first solids--and it wasn't food (or dog/cat fur--that doesn't count, right?)! I deserve worst mom of the year for this
She has a stuffed pony toy that she likes to look at--but she doesn't play with it and it was out of reach. Well, when momma wasn't looking (I was in the kitchen scarfing down some lunch) somehow she got her hands on it and chewed half the cardboard label off it (we hadn't cut it off yet). Most of it was balled up and spit out, but I've been finding tiny pieces of paper in her poo for the last three mornings. (She EC's and poops in the potty every morning, so it's easy to identify the floating bits of paper.) My doc thought it was funny and told me not to worry. But I'm feeling terribly guilty--especially since I was trying to preserve her 'virgin gut' as long as possible!

#15 ·
Juju (7.5 mos actual/5.5 dev) has had more whole grains of plain white rice at restaurants...and an olive cut into tiny pieces...and a sliver of a carrot. She liked all, esp the olive--but it was one of those things where she was fussy but done nursing & it was the only baby-friendly-seeming food at the table; she probably won't see one again for a while... I'm thinking we must eat badly bc I rarely have a whole food on the table to offer her, although I am also not giving her any of our meats or anything with milk, eggs, or citrus. ...My first daughter started solids at 10 mos; my second at I guess 7 or 8 mos. Starting Ju on solids so early feels odd!

Public service announcement: our Facebook group is nearly silent...

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by N&M View Post
But I'm feeling terribly guilty--especially since I was trying to preserve her 'virgin gut' as long as possible!
It happens. Mine ate sand a few weeks back.

I love your siggie...I have a baby pterodactyl too! mEEEP! mEEEEEEEP!

#17 ·
I don't think cardboard counts against the virgin gut - I wouldn't expect it to have the same bacteria-feeding properties as food, anyway.
Mine is constantly trying to eat paper, I have to watch really closely. Silly baby. I had to fish a clover out of the back of his throat weeks ago, too, after we'd be outside.

AF returned. Bah. :p

Not much else going on here. I'm about to start home-pre-schooling my four-year-old, because he wants to.

#18 ·
Anybody else here skip the PKU? They did it w/o my consent at the hospital for my first daughter; then I was talked into doing it with my second daughter even though the sight of baby blood makes me QUEASY... I didn't do it with Juju. (Not that it would have mattered since she'd already had her traumatic hospital stay anyway; one more poke wouldn't have mattered...) Was just thinking about it.

Also, Ju is almost 8 mos, and no vaccinations yet!
Still talking the husband into "next week, next week..."
Except the Hep B my first daughter got at birth, none of my babies have been vax'd before 11 mos, and I'm really happy with that.

My husband dusted off his guitar tonight. Since moving to Brazil, he's rarely played as now he's working in the family real estate business instead of playing music professionally. But he's so happy when he plays, and the house feels so happy when he does. The girls love it, including Juju. Wish he'd pick up the guitar as often as he's been picking up cans of beer; all of our lives would improve, I think.

#19 ·
I don't know for sure if Elsa got PKU. I assume she did since it's one of those standard things that you probably have to refuse. I'm ok with that test, but I've decided not to do any vaccines anymore. She had one round of Hib, Polio, and Dtap, but we decided to stop.

#20 ·
We did the PKU - it's required here by the state and it doesn't upset me enough to deal with trying to decline it.

Caleb had 2 month shots on schedule, did poorly, and had his 4 month shots one at a time, and still did poorly. He did not get anything at 6 months - we will go back at 7.5 months after we've seen the allergist and confirmed that he's not allergic to anything in the vaccines. If he is - not sure what the plan will be.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flavorfull1 View Post
Lauren, what disposable to you use? We did kissaluvs onesize diaper with a prefold or insert and a cover and he peed through it in a couple of hours. I tried an overnight diaper and he peed through that really quick but it was fisher price brand bc it was cheapest
We just pick up whatever is cheapest bc honestly we use it only for traveling. So we got the luvs size three. I really like them, which surprised me! They aren't overly scented and contain leaks well. I hate the huggies bc they are like plastic to me. Pampers are pricy for some reason and are very scented.

#22 ·
We are at the beach! Wohoo! I am having to be a good mommy and stay inside instead of playing in the waves right now because Malachi needed a nap. Poor guy, he seems to have the sniffles and he is really loving hanging out with all of our family so he does not sleep. Now they are on the beach and I am inside
In other news that is great, found a diaper "cream" that works with cloth diapers. It more like heals his dried out skin and keeps away more diaper rash. It is the diaper rash and thrush stuff from Motherlove. I LOVE it and it is working in like two days. So, we don't have to go the disposable route now, back to kissaluvs!
As far as PKU, we got the testing done, pretty sure it is required in NC to have metabolic screening. I hated getting his heel stuck but it really seemed like the best for us. We, however, have not done any vaccines yet and I would love to wait until two years but it might be just one since DH is not as comfortable waiting until 2 yrs with moving to NY. I dunno, we will see!

#23 ·
PKU: We did it-actually, we went in to the hossy lab when he was 3 days old especially for the NB screen. Not sure if it was required or not here, and I hated for him to have the heel stick, but saw no other reason not to have it done. I wanted to get it done.

Vax: none yet. I want to start at 6 months, DH wants to wait till 1 year, so I'm waiting to make him more comfortable. I think it will realistically be 9 months-ish. We've decided on DTaP, polio, MMR(when it' time), and chickenpox if he doesn't get it by age 12. Other vax, like HepB and meningitis he will decide if he wants in middle school.

#24 ·
I'm pretty sure we did the PKU. Midwife took blood from DDs heel the day after she was born. She never got the hearing test though.

Okay, so off topic, but I cannot stop crying. I just read about a little girl who was diagnosed with leukemia at the beginning of this month and she died today. She was 8 years old.
Her parents took her in a few weeks ago because she was sick and now she is gone. So, so sad. As I'm reading her story, my little boy keeps running out of bed and laughing instead of sleeping -- Tonight he gets another long hug and more kisses.

#25 ·
Today, DD was at the doctor- she is 6 months and 20.5lbs and almost 28 inches!!! WOWSERS!! haha, so we got her shots that we are doing this month and we are ready to go on our cruise! Now I just need to pack. LOL.

Oh and--We definitely did PKU before we left the hospital (we left on the 4th morning, they keep you hear a while after a normal birth), it's a pretty important test and imho it's silly to not to do it.

#26 ·
HappiLeigh and hapersmion, thank you for the reassurance! She really has a taste for paper--we have to watch her every second!

Midwife did PKU 3 days after dd's birth, if I remember correctly.

Nicole730--that is so sad
. I can't imagine what those poor parents must be feeling. It certainly does put things in perspective. Which I need right now because I am stressing out.

Last week, our ped decided he heard a "click" in her left hip and wrote a prescription for a ?bilateral ultrasound on it, to rule out hip dysplasia. He also referred us to a pediatric orthopedic dr. to have him read the ultrasound. I wasn't thrilled about this, but I figure, it's just an ultrasound, not an x-ray or anything, and hopefully it will rule it out so I don't have to keep worrying. Well, our appointment was today for the ultrasound. The office just called to tell me that my dd is over 5 months, and the ultrasound tech said the test won't show anything because she is too old, and they won't do it. She suggested I call my dr. and see what he wants to do (like an x-ray). I feel NO WAY are they zapping my dd's midsection with an x-ray machine on the off chance she has this condition. I'm getting myself more and more worked up the more I think about it! And of course, the ped. doesn't get in until 9:30 today, so I have to wait to speak to them.

Anyone have any experience with this that can help calm my fears?

Lauren, enjoy your cruise--it sounds fantastic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.