solids at 5 months - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MDCers are normally big proponents of listening to your mommy instincts, and I don't see this as being any different. This isn't a case of you giving your ds cereal at two weeks because "that's just what you do." This is a case of you evaluating where your son is at and deciding he's ready for food. I say if you feel he is ready, go for it.

I started dd on solids at 5.5 months. She was sitting independently, had a true pincer grasp, a tooth, was scooting, and was grabbing food off my plate and eating it whether I wanted her to or not. She was interested and ready, and it felt right to me to start her. I also couldn't convince myself that some bell would magically go off in two weeks and she would suddenly be ready on the day she turned six months.

And she loved it! She's a tiny, busy busy baby, and I was happy she was getting the extra calories. She was happy to be able to play with and eat the food. It did also help her sleep better at night. Win-win-win.

Re: the bananas. DD is now almost 10 months, and still has issues bananas. They gave her explosive diarrhea the first time I gave them to her (which was after she had been eating solids successfully for several months)....Come to find out bananas wreak havoc on the gastro-intestinal system of DH's entire family. Sometimes it's the particular food, and not the timing of food itself.

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some babies are born with teeth. I don't see why emergence of teeth and readiness for solids would be related.
#33 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenbloom View Post
Thanks, Nettle Tea!

...but if doctors don't, who does?
In my experience, it is best to just learn it for yourself from reliable, trustworthy information. I am into Traditional foods and find that works really well for my family. But that is not necessarily going to be everyone's "cup of tea", of course.

The Nutrition and Good Eating forums here on Mothering have a lot of good info.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#34 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
have you ever thought of making breast milk ice cubes and putting them in the little mesh bag feeder thingie? that way your LO can sit at the table and join in the social aspects of the family meal, but not have any chance of compromising the gut.
I tried this today after seeing the suggestion on another bord and on here... It was a total failure she was sooo not impressed with her yummy mama milk all frozen. However jsut an icecube in the feeder and she though it was the balm. I know water is not needed for a BF baby and they can get too much but figured one icecube that mstly jsut melts and makesa fun mess but given her something isn't too terrible... Little to do with "solids/foods' though..

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#35 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM

You're here in Arizona, so I thought I'd share with you what I have heard from several midwives, doulas and doctors, all separately: In our climate, it's JUST FINE to give a little extra water! It's so dry here that it's not going to cause any problems and might actually be beneficial. The important part is keeping it at a little only this young. Your ice cube is probably an ideal amount!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#36 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of the problems with getting nutritional information from doctors is that as the knowledge base regarding nutrition grows, doctors don't always keep up to date and sometimes give outdated information. At one time babies were given rice cereal at 2 weeks. It was common practice and thought to be good for babies. But then nutritional studies showed that it wasn't good for babies, but you still hear about doctors telling moms to give 2 week old babies rice cereal sometimes. And that's REALLY old advice. The same goes for other nutritional advice doctors give. They seem to keep more up to date on actual medical issues than nutritional issues.
#37 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM

A bit off topic, but a lot of doctors refuse to acknowledge that nutrition or lack thereof has anything to do with diseases and sicknesses. Also, I once heard that in medical school doctors are not taught anything about nutrition. How in the world can they not be teaching anything about nutrition and its effects on the body in these medical schools? Aren't there any progressive medical schools out there??

That being said, I am not completely down on doctors. There are some good ones out there that give wise advice. Few and far between.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#38 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm not down on doctors myself, but I pretty firmly believe that medicine and parenting are two totally separate subjects. I love my pediatrician. She is amazingly supportive of extended breast feeding, delayed vaccination, cloth diapering-- all sorts of choices I make. That said, I think I am just lucky to have an AP ped (well, lucky in the sense that one is available; I did a ton of research to find her)! I could just as easily have a pro-breast feeding, pro-CIO ped. So if she were to suggest that I start giving Cecilia solids now at 4 months, I would smile and say we're thinking about it, and promptly disregard it. It's just part of my parenting style to do later, BLW style solids.

#39 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM

my mom tried to feed my baby something off a spoon at a cookout when she was 4 months old. she was reaching for stuff at this point and was sitting up for a few seconds at a time. when i told my mom NO, she said, 'well she reached for it.' to which i replied, 'well if she reached for a razor blade would you give it to her?' my mom backed off.

to the op, i guess you've made your decision. good luck.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#40 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
You're here in Arizona, so I thought I'd share with you what I have heard from several midwives, doulas and doctors, all separately: In our climate, it's JUST FINE to give a little extra water! It's so dry here that it's not going to cause any problems and might actually be beneficial. The important part is keeping it at a little only this young. Your ice cube is probably an ideal amount!
Ahh that is good to know.. BTW my first DD is a Cecilia and I used to live in Tucson I'm in Yuma now BLAH!!!

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#41 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Wow, small world!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page