solids at 5 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son will be 5 months old on Thursday. It will take a lot to convince me to push off solids much longer.

He has been sitting independently since just before 4 months. Not for huge lengths of time, and he hasn't gotten any better at it in the past two weeks because he's too busy trying to crawl, but he can definitely sit independently.

He has been able to grab small things off the table and get them to his mouth for a while already, not 100% sure how long. But I'm pretty sure this is the pincer grasp we talk about -- it's not a forefinger-thumb grasp, it's a four finger-palm grasp, but he can feed himself this way. In fact, it's a struggle every meal to prevent him from feeding himself.

I wasn't sure how to find out if he has a tongue-thrust reflex anymore without trying food, but today my friend's son fed him a few cheerios when she was watching them (she called to apologize) and apparently he was thrilled to get and eat them, so I'm guessing that's gone as well.

And lastly, he really seems to need something more solid. He will nurse until he just doesn't want to anymore but still act really hungry. Then I guess the liquid settles and he nurses again twenty minutes later.

Can anyone give me a good reason to wait any longer?
#2 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 AM

The grasp you are describing is not pincer grasp, it's the raking grasp which comes before pincer grasp. Pincer grasp is when they can hold things between forefinger and thumb. Have you read Kellymom and La Leche League's positions?
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#reasons
http://www.lllofnorthaz.org/article/...ng-solid-foods

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 AM

I would not start solids until my baby was definitively sitting independently, and had the true pincer grasp. At that point I would try something like avocado slices or sweet potato "fries," something that my baby could self-feed if she was interested. Just going on interest in other people eating isn't enough for me, as my daughter has been that way since 2 months old. That is just my personal outlook, however.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to struggle to keep my younger child from eating until 6 months, but I did because it's better for their gut to not have anything but bm until then. I gave her a spoon to play with, and that kept her happy for a while. Also, I agree that what you're describing isn't a pincer grasp. You'll know it when you see it.

The frequent nursings sound like a growth spurt.
#5 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 AM

There is no surefire outer way to tell if your child's gut is appropriately developed. That's why you should wait until at least six months.

I also agree with everything else previously posted. The 'rule' is at least six months AND all those milestones.
#6 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Not always and everyone is different. I know some mothers that were told by their ped that their baby could start at 4 months and so they did and their LO's have been doing great at it!
It's not only when they are sitting independently, but when they can sit supported, with good head control, at least doubled their birth weight AND are at least 4 months old. If they are reaching for food or seem very interested in what you're eating is also a sign as well. Every site says something different and every ped says something different, too. You just have to read your baby's signs and go from there.
My DS is 5 months and we just started last week. We started close to the same age for my ODS as well. Both of my boys showed signed of readiness at this age and therefore, we gave it a try. All has been going well!

We're taking it slow and not rushing it or anything. We're continuing to watch his cues and see what he does and how he reacts.
We also have zero allergies in our family, so I think part of that has a lot of mothers holding back from starting too soon as well.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#7 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
There is no surefire outer way to tell if your child's gut is appropriately developed. That's why you should wait until at least six months.

I also agree with everything else previously posted. The 'rule' is at least six months AND all those milestones.

The latest evidence says the risk of illness is decreased by waiting until at least 6 months. That's why all the guidelines now say exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months, when about 10 years ago they said until 4 months.
#8 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

The latest evidence says the risk of illness is decreased by waiting until at least 6 months. That's why all the guidelines now say exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months, when about 10 years ago they said until 4 months.
Actually, the newer research says that starting solids between 4-6 months may prevent allergies and eczema, and doesn't increase risk of later allergies at all.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#9 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinYay View Post
Actually, the newer research says that starting solids between 4-6 months may prevent allergies and eczema, and doesn't increase risk of later allergies at all.
There is a lot going on in this paper (food vs. formula, cow formula, breast milk) that it isn't very clear.

One way breast fed babies are exposed to potential allergens *is* through breast milk. So I eat peanuts, and this exposes my baby to peanuts in a small way.

This is not the case for a a formula fed infant (whether cow or hydrolyzed formulas--which it seems they are comparing, I don't see any comparison between breast milk and either formula), who will be exposed to basically the same ingredients over and over.

So yes a formula fed infant might benefit from this, but it doesn't really address the allergen introducing function in breastmilk.

I find it difficult to introduce solids before 6 months. The reflex to push the food out of the mouth is compelling to me to not introduce food before baby is ready (which has always been after 6 months with my children, somewhere between 6 and 8 months).

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#10 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 PM

My babe is 5 months today, and I am really thinking of trying him on avocado pretty soon. I waited until 6 months w/ other 2 babies, but w/ him, I am feeling differently.
One major reason is that he is waking more and more in the night, every couple of hours. I know that most say that introducing solids will not help this, but this combined w/him being hard to settle for naps during the day, I am thinking this way.
I have to try something. I am exhausted, and my other kids are majorly neglected. I am totally fed up with trying to put a tired baby for a nap for hours at a time, my nipples will fall off soon, and my children will hate me.
Sorry for the vent, and to hijack the thread.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#11 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 PM

There is also the other sign of readiness, which to me is a sign the digestion is ready, which is the presence of at least one tooth.

I wouldn't do it. Babies that age are interested in everything and putting everything in their mouths. When you do chose to start, I would also start with simpler foods, like a lightly steamed veggie, not something processed like cheerios...

It's your call, but there is increasing evidence of the benefits of waiting. Nursing alot all of a sudden does sound like a growth spurt. DD is going through one right now and I tried to give her solids and she was disgusted! So one does not necessarily mean she wants the other.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#12 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 PM

I always am in the minority here on MDC, I tried to wait with my DD, but as TatooedHand stated the presence of teeth is also an indicator. I was going to do it all "right" with my DD no solids until 6 months, but she had other plans, first she had 2 teeth by 4 months, she also FREAKED when we ate. I tried giving her a spoon, redeirecting her attention, YK the only thing that stopped her freaking out every.single.meal. FOOD.

I am all for trying to do everything you can to help your babies develop the best that they can, I have to say both my kids were well good and ready to eat food at 5 months....my son cried literally every meal, same things done as with DD, gave him a spoon, a cup to play with-not one thing helped but food. I guess I just am more of a follow my baby's cues than a follow what the book says, or the AAP, WHO or whatever higher authority there is. I'm there with my kids and see what they want, neither one has any digestive issues and both are healthy and eat a wide variety of foods. Both my kids had teeth before 6 months and were more than eager to eat, and no they wouldn't chew on a cell phone or other thing, it was clearly a food thing.

I guess my long-winded point is-go with your gut

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#13 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 PM

delete

32 - son born 9/21/09
#14 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
if you are going to start now, for sure dont damage the gut with any type of grain-based cereal. grain is way too harsh for a baby just starting out, you'll mess up the gut flora balance.

have you ever thought of making breast milk ice cubes and putting them in the little mesh bag feeder thingie? that way your LO can sit at the table and join in the social aspects of the family meal, but not have any chance of compromising the gut.

Bring back the old MDC
#15 of 41 Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM

My youngest is 5 months (he'll be 6 months on the 21st) and we're slowly starting solids. One of the few things I've found to help with his teething pain is a cold slice of apple (held by me.) It works when nothing else works (including cold teethers.)

That said, try and stay away from grains. They're really hard to digest at this age and have very little nutritionally.

Mama of three.

#16 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 AM

Both of my kids started solids at 5mo (sucking on large chunks of veggies mostly). They had an extreme interest, could sit and could self feed by that age. I'm more into going with your child's lead than with science here. I seriously doubt that our ancestors waited until 6mo to start solids because a scientist told them so.. My personal feeling is that if a kid is interested and can do it, then they're ready.

ETA: Both of my kids also started getting teeth at 4mo old.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#17 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 AM

I'm with the PP's of... go with your instincts here. At 5 months we started veggies - avocado, sweet potato, squash. Each were introduced slowly and only a few pieces a day (not full 'meals'). Mainly because he was inconsolable during meals - he would get So mad that he wasn't participating, did NOT want to play with the spoon. He wanted food. And he never had any gut issues. So, it was a good decision for him. I talked to my Ped about it and he had no problem - again, with PP's to only stay away from grains. We skipped the whole cereal intro, rice or any other kind, and only did a bit of puree's after he'd been introduced a chunk he could chew on. In the end, with a Ped's advice as well, I just went with what DS was wanting.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil monster
#18 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 AM

My DD is almost the exact same age (5 months this comming Sunday) and I totally get the feeling of wanting to start solids. However for reason many have already listed I know I'm going to wait till that 6 month and untill my LO can sit well on her own... I am though very much looking foward to the journey my first was apraxic with sensory delays and the journey to solids was very delayed and exhausting...

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#19 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I would not start solids until my baby was definitively sitting independently, and had the true pincer grasp. At that point I would try something like avocado slices or sweet potato "fries," something that my baby could self-feed if she was interested. Just going on interest in other people eating isn't enough for me, as my daughter has been that way since 2 months old. That is just my personal outlook, however.
Same here with us.

I guess its hard to look at it like this as we don't see food as harmful as say... a burning fireplace... But even if our children were interested and could crawl over to the burning fireplace - we would still keep them away right?

If DS shows interested in copying us - then he can have a safe bowl and spoon to play with.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#20 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 AM

at 6 months, we started millie with bananas, a common first food. later that night she was in the e.r. in severe gastrointestinal agony. she had bloody stools for a few days after, too. this was proof positive that she still had open gut, even at the proverbial 6 months. i'm just sorry i had to torture her to find this out because she was showing all of the signs of readiness AND she was 'at least 6 months.'

there isn't any harm in waiting, but there could potentially be harm in starting. we gave her spoons and a water cup when we ate and sat her at the table with us to include her. we ended up waiting until she was 7 months before slowly starting solids up again. at almost 11 months, she eats everything and it doesn't seem to bother her, not even cabbage or broccoli! i'd definitely wait and read more about 'open gut' here. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#reasons

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#21 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
if you are going to start now, for sure dont damage the gut with any type of grain-based cereal. grain is way too harsh for a baby just starting out, you'll mess up the gut flora balance.

have you ever thought of making breast milk ice cubes and putting them in the little mesh bag feeder thingie? that way your LO can sit at the table and join in the social aspects of the family meal, but not have any chance of compromising the gut.
What a great idea!! I will take this idea myself if Cecilia gets really frustrated with us eating around her before I am comfortable starting solids.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#22 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

This is what I was going to suggest-- make "food" out of BM, see if that helps you all hold out a little more.
#23 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Honestly, if I'd waited until my DD was sitting independantly and had a tooth (as a PP stated above), she would have been 10 months and 12 months respectively before she had any solid foods (she was a late sitter and an even later teether) and there's no way I could have held her off that long without it making her miserable. She started eating table foods at about 5 and a half months, and that was after holding her off for at least a month of grabbing at food and screaming for it. She did have a great pincher grasp from a very young age (her fine motor skills have always been light years ahead of her gross motor skills). My boys didn't start until much later.

Anyhow, I would say that if he can get the food to his mouth on his own, doesn't choke on it, and doesn't seem to have a bad reaction to it, it would be fine. I wouldn't feed purees and I wouldn't put food in his mouth. I also wouldn't do any sort of rice cereal type food, since it's really not good for babies at all. But sweet potato chuncks, banana, avocado, broccoli florets, etc? I don't think it's a problem.
#24 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM

My daughter just turn 4 month.
Sits with support.
Grabs things and put in her month.
Shows interest in food.
Rubs her gum with fingers.
Holds spoon and leaks it.
I feel she is ready.
So I did not see any reasons to wait longer.
Started with rice cereal mixed with breast milk. She loved it. It is approved by our doctor.

So now tell me what is wrong with rice cereal? and where is this information about it being harmful for guts come from?
I am really curious.
#25 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenbloom View Post
It is approved by our doctor.
That doesn't necessarily mean much. Most doctors don't know squat about nutrition.

The deal with cereals is that they are difficult to digest (especially for a young gut). Mixing it with breastmilk is good. The enzymes in your breastmilk help it to digest a bit easier.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#26 of 41 Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks, Nettle Tea!

...but if doctors don't, who does?

I don't eat sweet potatoes and avocados myself, bananas are not local. carrots have nitrates. what is left - squash and apples. are those safe for baby?
I think I will try squash next.
#27 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
There is also the other sign of readiness, which to me is a sign the digestion is ready, which is the presence of at least one tooth.

I wouldn't do it. Babies that age are interested in everything and putting everything in their mouths. When you do chose to start, I would also start with simpler foods, like a lightly steamed veggie, not something processed like cheerios...

It's your call, but there is increasing evidence of the benefits of waiting. Nursing alot all of a sudden does sound like a growth spurt. DD is going through one right now and I tried to give her solids and she was disgusted! So one does not necessarily mean she wants the other.
I've never heard that teeth are a sign of readiness -- rather, I've heard that when teeth emerge is purely genetic and not tied to anything else. My nephew (and his father and two cousins) did not have any teeth until after a year -- so they should have waited until then for solids? My first two got teeth around 8 months, but met all the readiness signs wellbefore 6 months.
#28 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Starting solids, for me, means putting the baby in a high chair or booster with food on the tray. If it gets in his mouth, good; if not, also good. Food is probably banana squares, cooked frozen peas, avocado, etc.

By the way, everything I can find online says that what I described is a "rudimentary pincer grasp" with the true pincer grasp coming around 8-9 months. As it happens, I caught my baby with a piece of lego between forefinger and thumb today, so he may have a true pincer already, but I don't think that's what they're talking about.
#29 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
I've never heard that teeth are a sign of readiness -- rather, I've heard that when teeth emerge is purely genetic and not tied to anything else.
The infant/toddler instructors that lead the parent/baby groups I attend have said that an infant will cut teeth when one of the parents did (for us that's either 7 or 9 months). DS is 5 1/2 months and aside from the tongue thrust sign which I haven't tested, he's been showing all of the signs of readiness for a month though we haven't started anything yet (fresh peaches are at the top of the list sometime in the next three weeks depending on when they are available!). I don't recall the pincer grasp being one of the signs that was brought up in our groups either. Though it has been recommended to wait until 6 months and of course continue breastfeeding as long as it's mutually desirable (both instructors breastfed beyond 2 years).

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#30 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenbloom View Post
Thanks, Nettle Tea!

...but if doctors don't, who does?

Nutritionists.

The rice cereal thing is a cultural choice, not a medical/nutritional/research based one.

obstruct livery vehicles

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page