Son keeps swallowing air, throwing up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 3 months and is getting worse about swallowing air while nursing. It doesn't seem to matter which position he is in: he swallows air. I burp him after every feeding, but about once a day he has been throwing up following nursing, usually in the morning. It isn't overfeeding. I have a fast flow, which is one of the problems. I've taken him to the chiropractor and the chiro is stumped. He is going to talk to some other doctors to see if there is anything else he can try.

Any ideas for minimizing the air swallowing?

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#2 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM

If you can, I would see a lactation consultant to work on his latch. If that's not doable, maybe there is a LLL meeting in your area?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately there is only one lactation consultant at the nearby hospital and I don't think she is very helpful. And there are not any LLL meetings closer than an hour away.

But DS's latch is OK as far as I can tell: there is a tight seal, his mouth is positioned correctly, I'm not in pain. . . I've read up on latch issues in breastfeeding books. I'm stumped. The chiro thought maybe his jaw bones were misaligned, but everything appeared fine in the examination. I wonder if my letdown is just too much for him, in which case I'm not sure where to proceed. DS isn't patient about nursing. He is voracious about eating and I know he gets more than enough milk. Since he seems to swallow more air in the morning, maybe I should try pumping prior to nursing so DS won't get so much at once. Anyone have experience with this or have other techniques for minimizing air swallowing?

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#4 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM

I have the complete opposite, a low supply with low letdown, but my best friend has an overactive letdown, and she has started block feeding-- feeding on one side for as many feedings as she can-- and says it helps a LOT.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM

OP, Does he actually vomit? Like a sick type of vomit?
Or is it like a lot of milk with some curdles?
#6 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
Unfortunately there is only one lactation consultant at the nearby hospital and I don't think she is very helpful. And there are not any LLL meetings closer than an hour away.

But DS's latch is OK as far as I can tell: there is a tight seal, his mouth is positioned correctly, I'm not in pain. . . I've read up on latch issues in breastfeeding books. I'm stumped. The chiro thought maybe his jaw bones were misaligned, but everything appeared fine in the examination. I wonder if my letdown is just too much for him, in which case I'm not sure where to proceed. DS isn't patient about nursing. He is voracious about eating and I know he gets more than enough milk. Since he seems to swallow more air in the morning, maybe I should try pumping prior to nursing so DS won't get so much at once. Anyone have experience with this or have other techniques for minimizing air swallowing?
It doesn't make sense that he has a tight seal and swallows air. Unless his tight seal is broken with every gulp. ??? And I wonder if he's actually eating voraciously or if he's trying his darndest to keep up with the flow so he doesn't get drowned out, which to me seems to be the case.

I have a very overactive letdown and the only thing that worked for us was the block feeding another poster mentioned. If I didn't keep the baby on the same breast as long as possible, he was drowning almost at every meal, and just couldn't keep up. Then he'd pull off and my milk would keep spraying him all over his face! Poor thing!
#7 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post
OP, Does he actually vomit? Like a sick type of vomit?
Or is it like a lot of milk with some curdles?
It is milk with some curds. Sometimes it is thick, sometimes very runny.

#8 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post
It doesn't make sense that he has a tight seal and swallows air. Unless his tight seal is broken with every gulp. ??? And I wonder if he's actually eating voraciously or if he's trying his darndest to keep up with the flow so he doesn't get drowned out, which to me seems to be the case.

I have a very overactive letdown and the only thing that worked for us was the block feeding another poster mentioned. If I didn't keep the baby on the same breast as long as possible, he was drowning almost at every meal, and just couldn't keep up. Then he'd pull off and my milk would keep spraying him all over his face! Poor thing!
So if it has been awhile since you nursed on one side, do you hand express or pump first to avoid the spluttering? For the most part I've been nursing on one side per feeding. What about positioning? With an overactive letdown, what position is best? It seems like the only position that I can guarantee minimal air swallowing is for us both to lie down.

#9 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
So if it has been awhile since you nursed on one side, do you hand express or pump first to avoid the spluttering? For the most part I've been nursing on one side per feeding. What about positioning? With an overactive letdown, what position is best? It seems like the only position that I can guarantee minimal air swallowing is for us both to lie down.
To echo others, it's very unlikely that he's swallowing air. Spitting up, to a large degree, is normal for babies.

That said, it sounds like you've got some OAL/ over-supply issues. With over-active letdown (OAL) and/or over-supply, side-lying is often a good position as the milk has to work against gravity.

I had (and *still* have... ug) OAL and over-supply. Kellymom has some great articles on the topic, like this one. For the first 3 months, I hand-expressed or pumped just a tiny bit before nursing- if you pump too much it'll stimulate MORE production, which is not what you want. I also did up to 6 hr block feedings, which helped a bit.

Good luck- OAL sucks. (Horrible pun intended.)

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#10 of 10 Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
It is milk with some curds. Sometimes it is thick, sometimes very runny.
Ok, so that sound like just spit up.
It could be some air trapped under the milk.
Im nursing my third now and always have overactive/ too much milk issues.
Sometimes there is just too much milk and the baby cant keep it all down.
I only nurse from one side for 2 feedings in a row and it is still too much.
You probably should never feed from both sides for one feeding.
As long as baby is gaining well and not too fussy, there isnt really anything to worry about or do.
My babies all had great latches, its just too much milk, too fast.
Dont worry, your baby will grow into your milk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page