the hell that is teething. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any suggestions?

my DS is miserable if he is awake- as in, he scream cries all day until I put something topical on his gums, then he calms down just enough to sometimes pass out and the cycle repeats- all day and night. He doesnt use teething toys, and I found some BM sorbet can sometimes work.. but often he just gets more upset.

He is so uncomfortable and I am getting grumpy from the lack of sleep/sanity. We're going on tooth 4 at the moment with 5 starting to surface as well

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can commiserate. My DD was a horrible teether. We found a combination of homeopathics and clove oil topically usually helped during waking hours. For nighttime on the worst nights we did some Motrin so that we could all sleep a bit. Some kiddos just really seem to struggle worse than others. I'm so sorry!

I also found that getting her out of the house and really distracted helped some too. This worked better as she got older, but it's worth a shot!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM

i really likes hylands teething tablets. and remember "this too shall pass"

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#4 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM

No real suggestions - just support in going through the same thing over here! DD's top 2 teeth are just breaking the gum and she has been SO miserable for 2 days. She went through the same thing with the 2 bottom about a month ago. After 3 or 4 days she was back to her smiley self.

We also use the homeopathic tablets and gel. I also get a small cloth and run it under really cold water, wring it out and DD loves to chew on it.

I tried the going outside trick today but it didn't even work

Poor thing. I end up crying as much as she does!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#5 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hyland's Teething Tablets.
#6 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM

I feel your pain, IH. We are in the middle of tooth #3, a top tooth and it's not going well at all. I'm using somewhat terrifying amounts of Hylands teething gel and sometimes acetomenephen at night.

DD has also scorned Sophie the giraffe as of late for some reason so I give her frozen baby sports socks. They are textured and cold and the right size for her to chew and suck on.

We wear her alot (I even sunk a bunch of money into new carriers) both around the house and out for walks. I also offer to comfort nurse her and she gets calm if I let her doze and suck for like 20 minutes at a time.

Who knew teething was so gruesome...Good luck and I hope your little guy feels better.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#7 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 PM

My DS loves sucking on a frozen washcloth...just wet it and stick it in the freezer. It freezes fast and lasts a pretty long time.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#8 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 PM

have you looked into Baltic amber?

AP~EBF~CD~nocirc~Babywearing~delayed vaxing~natural birthin' Wannabewith PCOS,Not a mommy yet
aspiring doula(oh,I have a severe case of yurtlust!)
#9 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Some kids suffer more than others. It's completely appropriate to give motrin and/or tylenol if the teething tablet/powders don't work.
#10 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 PM

We took a peek in DD's mouth and she has six teeth coming in up top, with at least one more on the bottom.

Totally explains the sh*t night we had last night. Yikes.

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#11 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I really think the amber necklace I have for Cecilia has helped a lot. It's from Inspired by Finn. That and when she gets extremely fussy, Hyland's teething tablets. She's still little (4 months), so I dissolve them in a drop or two of breast milk and spread the paste inside her mouth, on her gums mostly.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#12 of 24 Old 08-05-2010, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
Some kids suffer more than others. It's completely appropriate to give motrin and/or tylenol if the teething tablet/powders don't work.
I agree. We are not overmedicators by any stretch - I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a pain reliever myself this year - but when DS is in that much pain I don't hesitate to give him a dose of ibuprofen. Especially with teething, when he's so obviously hurting. He's teething now, the first tooth broke through this weekend and three more are in some stage of breaking through. A dose of Motrin at night helps him rest and feel better. To me, it just seems like the right thing to do.
#13 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM

I have to put orajel on or give Tylenol at night recently, I tried the Hylands and it did not help her.
She has 5 teeth that just came in at once and 2 more coming...I feel so bad for her! Comfort nursing all night and all day it seems like too. My supply has built up so much I'm leaking again, lol
She'll take frozen teethers sometimes during the day and chunks of frozen apple in a mesh feeder.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#14 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

I caved and got some fake Tylenol today, 3 teeth are all coming in and once, so he actually was able to nap as a result of a half dose.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#15 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
I caved and got some fake Tylenol today, 3 teeth are all coming in and once, so he actually was able to nap as a result of a half dose.

I've read that if an adult were to experience the pain of teething, heavy narcotics would not make it bearable! So give motrin or what ever works.

And I am totally cynical when it comes to homeopathic stuff, but I am ordering Mr. N an amber necklace.

He is only beginning to experience teething discomfort, nothing major, yet.

But it stinks.

I shove a bunch of ice in a mesh feeder, run it in the tap, and give him that.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#16 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 AM

i also use an amber teething necklace. i think it helps a lot. when she gets cranky i give her 3 hylnads teething tablets. you can give them 3 more 15min later if they are still upset. if that dont help then tylenol or ibuprofen is good. no ibuprofen for babies under 6 months. stuff to chew on is a must. and some days will just be bad. there will ne nothing you can do except to hold them as long as they want. just being held by mom helps reduce the pain. it is a bio chemical thing.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#17 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post

I've read that if an adult were to experience the pain of teething, heavy narcotics would not make it bearable! So give motrin or what ever works.
I have wisdom teeth that are 'doing stuff' and the pain ranges from a mild ache to waking up one morning and thinking I was going to die. Consequently, if she's miserable with her teeth and won't settle then I medicate.
#18 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM

DD was a wretched teether, enough to almost be the most effective birth control ever, I didn't want to go through the teething hell she had ever again. Hylands and generic baby ibuprofen were the only things that helped. Her friggin eye-teeth were the worst, molars not so bad, but those eye-teeth wholy-moly. I wore her for 2 months on my back so she'd sleep. They took literally 4 months of pushing and receding to come in.

DS has 5 teeth and he's not a thing like her, fussy then there's the tooth. He got them all months ago and hasn't had a single tooth in probably 3 months or so. DD got 6 in ONE WEEK. Ugh. She also was always feverish with her teeth, the inflammation really got to her.

I feel ya, I really was afraid to repeat that.

I also have heard the same thing if adults teethed like babies we'd need morphine or some other heavy duty narcotic, so I'm not opposed to meds in this case.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#19 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM

BTW, I used to think that amber teething necklace (we have an anklet) was hippie voodoo, but we took it off for a few days and teething crankiness and bad sleep became screaming crying pain for hours on end. So even though we are not doing well here, it could be a ton worse. But alone, they are not enough, for us at least, they just take the worst of the edge off.

Also, I find that the Hylands is cumulative, like usually I need to do 2-3 applications (spaced apart) for it to take effect. I do 1-application, wear her for 15 minutes, another application, hold her while she chews a frozen sock, another application and then nurse her right away and let her stay on the boob until she is mostly asleep. This usually gets us a nap or to bed at night. Honestly, I have alternated doing this with doses of Tylenol and I have yet to see a difference in terms of wakings and level of discomfort. So I will stick with the Hylands route.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#20 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Does anyone have an LO who tosses and turns and kicks all night long when they're teething? DD has kept me up the last two nights. She seems to be asleep through most of it, but she never stops fidgiting. UGH!

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#21 of 24 Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 PM

We've been in teething hell for months now. Hylands doesnt work for us, period. A half dose of ibuprofen usually works pretty well, but now that we're cutting molars, a half dose doesnt do it.

Oh, and tylenol doesnt do a darn thing for us either.

Yesterday he refused to nap and fussed all evening. I gave him a full dose at bedtime and he was asleep in minutes.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#22 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM

We are in teething hell now also...I was wondering, has anyone had any luck with soothie teething pacifiers? They are the only teething pacifier that I can find online that seems durable. If you've used them, are they chillable? Ds used to LOVE his teething pacifiers(not soothies), I used to get them at CVS but it doesn't look like they carry them any more.

DD doesn't even take pacis really, just plays with them/chews on them a little, but I'm thinking if it's a teething paci with those little bumps that she might like it better. So far today, wrapping her in the Baby K'tan and feeding her chunks of watermelon are the only things that have helped.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#23 of 24 Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Hi Mamas...I just dug this up as I was searching around MDC for answers. Did any of your babes get TERRIBLE runny poop with teething? DS has had this for 11 days now
#24 of 24 Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
my baby is getting his first tooth right now! sharp and seems painful. I will have to read this thread for advice and glad it got bumped- any tips on how people help the baby handle it are good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page