First well-child visit--yes or no? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My beautiful little son was born 6 days ago; we were discharged from the hospital four days ago and today is his first well-child visit.

I'm just wondering how necessary it really is to go. He was born perfectly healthy and had all of his screening and everything done in the hospital. He was visited also by pediatricians there who did vision tests, hearing tests and tested all of his reflexes and joints and all that stuff. He is nursing beautifully and his weight is good, he is sleeping normally, etc. etc....I have absolutely no concerns at this point. Also, we're not going to vax, at least not at the moment.

On the one hand, what have I got to lose by going, right? On the other hand, it's one less trip to make. And I admit I'm also a bit (irrationally?) afraid of the doctor trying to retract his uncirc'ed penis even though she came recommended and I really have no reason to think she will other than I know sometimes it happens. By the way, why do doctors have to check little boys' pensises at every visit?! I don't understand! I don't remember dd's vulva/vagina being constantly monitored!

So I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are. Has anyone opted out of the (first, or subsequent) well child visit? If so, why? If not, why not?

TIA!

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
#2 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM

I can't say I have a definite opinion one way or the other. It doesn't sound like the appt. is completely necessary. Is it the same ped. you were seeing for your DD, or a new person? If it's a new person it might be nice to establish some rapport and get to know each other.

What I do want to tell you is that the issue of not retracting the foreskin isn't going to go away anytime soon, or at least thats been my experience. Hopefully your ped. won't try to retract it at all and it won't ever be an issue. But I had to remind the ped. at every appt. from birth to about age 3 with my son, and thats with two different peds. Now he's 5 and his current (male) ped. just sort of looks at it, or at the most jiggles the skin a little bit on the shaft. I'm actually not even sure if DS's foreskin is retracting on its own or not yet; I haven't seen him play with it in a while and I don't generally allow him to run around naked anymore.

That said, hopefully you have a ped. who is hands-off. The one we're seeing now definitely is, like I mentioned, he only sort of looks at it. At his preschool check-up, DS wasn't cooperating with taking his pants off, so the ped. just sort of pulled them out and peeked in. DS yelled, "There's a penis in there!" and the ped. said, "As long as you don't have two of them, you're fine."

So hopefully that means the retraction issue gets easier as they get older, but no guarantees on that.
#3 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM

We do all WBV visits b/c insurance covers them, I love our ped and I have lots of stupid questions. If we weren't vaxing and I couldn't find a good ped I'm not sure if I'd go though.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 01:36 PM

I think it would be worth it to go. It's always nice to have a medical paper trail documenting that you have sought medical care for your children and that your children are healthy. Sounds kind of paranoid, but if you're ever in a sticky situation it's a good thing to have on your side.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#5 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM

I would go...but that would probably be the last time for a while. Then you can work on making your own schedule since you are not vaxing.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#6 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM

I would go - I like to have the baby weighed and their hips checked.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't go. IMO, well baby visits are just a way to get this kid in there to vax. If you're not vaxing, then make your own schedule. Also, like you said, baby has already been ckecked out recently. You can make your paper trail at a more convenient time. And, lastly, sick people congregate at Dr. offices so no place for a NB IMO. Just my .02$

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#8 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM

I'd wait a couple weeks for sure. I also tend to do more appts during the summer months rather than the winter months when all the sickies are there.

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#9 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I wouldn't go. IMO, well baby visits are just a way to get this kid in there to vax. If you're not vaxing, then make your own schedule. Also, like you said, baby has already been ckecked out recently. You can make your paper trail at a more convenient time. And, lastly, sick people congregate at Dr. offices so no place for a NB IMO. Just my .02$
My midwife last time had nothing to do with vaccinations, but she still came and checked me and the baby. It's not just about jabs; it's about making sure the baby is gaining well and is generally on the right track. I'd do it.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#10 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM

So did you go?

re: penis stuff I have 2 uncirc'd boys and I honestly can't recall a Dr touching them during an exam at ANY age. Looking, but not touching and certainly not retracting anything. It wouldn't even occur to me to worry about that.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#11 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

You just left the hospital. I wouldn't go and I'd let them know why. You need your rest!

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#12 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM

I wouldn't go, there's no reason to at this point. And while they might want to look at your sons penis you have the option of saying that he's fine and you don't need it looked at. Just remember that the only person who has a right to make a choice about your baby or to touch your baby in that room is you :-)

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#13 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
My midwife last time had nothing to do with vaccinations, but she still came and checked me and the baby. It's not just about jabs; it's about making sure the baby is gaining well and is generally on the right track. I'd do it.
Yes, but a MW office (or did she visit you at home? Or her home?) is IMO different than a Ped's...still lots of sickness... there are common sense ways to figure out whether a baby is getting enough milk (diapers, ect) that mom can do at home and of course, if she has any concerns she can take him in. I'm just saying that mama doesn't need to feel obligated to take baby in at that specified time if she would rather wait a week, month, or year.

typos likely

#14 of 38 Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, but a MW office (or did she visit you at home? Or her home?) is IMO different than a Ped's...still lots of sickness... there are common sense ways to figure out whether a baby is getting enough milk (diapers, ect) that mom can do at home and of course, if she has any concerns she can take him in. I'm just saying that mama doesn't need to feel obligated to take baby in at that specified time if she would rather wait a week, month, or year.
Well no, but still, I would like to have a very young baby seen by a doctor. Again, they check not only weight but hips, and other developmental areas.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#15 of 38 Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 AM

I want my baby checked on at that point. Now, our checks involve the midwives coming to our house to weigh the baby and make sure everyone is doing ok, so it doesn't involve a trip to the docs office, which I would be less comfortable with for exposure to cooties issues. I personally think it's a bit paranoid to suggest that the 1 week check is just an excuse to vax, since midwives check on baby/mama on day 1, 3, 7, and 14. And they're not there to vax.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#16 of 38 Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Home - but this wasn't the US; community midwifery visits everyone at home. She did go back to hospital twice shortly after birth (I needed my incision patched up, and then she needed a blood draw because I have thyroid problems).

If I had had to go to the GP's surgery I would have done that. My point was that WBVs aren't just about pushing vaccines. We had vaccines done totally separately from baby checks, and they're not even started till 2 months. It's good to have a trained, objective pair of eyes looking at the baby. I do know of cases where a problem was spotted at a WBV.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#17 of 38 Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

We went with DD1 and we stopped at 4mo because all we did was argue with the ped about vaxes.
With DD2 we never went to a ped, she was check out by one at the hospital after birth and that's it.
We do take both to a chiropractor regularly, though, a chirop. can be a primary care provider as well and there is a paper trail.
We're not planning to take #3 to the doc unless there is something obviously wrong.
But if your ped is no-vax friendly and hands off, it doesn't hurt to go for peace of mind, but like another mama poster said, you do need your rest and consider the germs at the ped office.
Congrats on your new babe!!!

Wife to Daryl 5/98, Mama to Eve 2/07, Lilie 11/08 and Victoria 10/10 --- Our First Water Homebirth. New blessing, Mathias, arrived 8/12 --- Our Second WaterHomebirth. Waiting to welcome baby #5 in May 2014.

#18 of 38 Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
I want my baby checked on at that point. Now, our checks involve the midwives coming to our house to weigh the baby and make sure everyone is doing ok, so it doesn't involve a trip to the docs office, which I would be less comfortable with for exposure to cooties issues. I personally think it's a bit paranoid to suggest that the 1 week check is just an excuse to vax, since midwives check on baby/mama on day 1, 3, 7, and 14. And they're not there to vax.
Hmm. My MW comes back at 48 hrs and that's it. And it's more about me, tho she does do the PKU if wanted. Really, all I was saying to OP was that if she doesn't want to go on that particular day, she doesn't need to feel obligated if she feels like everything is fine. She can reschedule. Or not go at all. None of my babies have had well baby check ups and all have survived into childhood. (Not saying anyone else needs to do it my way, just offering my opinion)

typos likely

#19 of 38 Old 08-11-2010, 09:54 PM

Our first ped visit was at 2 months. But the MW came to our house after 2 or 3 days and we went to her at 1 week. We also went at 2 weeks and 2.5 weeks for weight checks because DD wasn't gaining.

mom to DD 3/09
#20 of 38 Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Doctors like to check for descent of testicles in little boys because if they don't descend on their own there is a higher risk for cancer, infertility, hernias, and testicular torsion later on. Some of the looking at the genitals may be related to checking the testicles rather than the penis.
#21 of 38 Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM

about the penis thing...I have two little intact boys and with my first the pede did that and I wasn't expecting it, he even said steroid cream may be necessary if it wasn't retracting by three, i left that doc pretty fast, so there are stillpedes out there with this mindset...but every other time I gave the doctor a "look but don't touch" policy. I've had three pedes and now see a family doc and except for that really insane pede no one questioned my statement. I just made it a point of discussion right away when we found our current doctor. luckily he agreed anyway and it was no big deal. Also you can keep your babe on your lap for most if not all of the exam visits.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#22 of 38 Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would. There are lots of little things a doctor might notice that you wouldn't, or might have been overlooked. Frankly, it also puts you on a better footing with your doctor. Now we pretty much never see a doctor except for wellness visits and our doc doctors, not tells me how to parent, but I like having someone I can call or go to if I *need it*.
#23 of 38 Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Sombra View Post
My beautiful little son was born 6 days ago; we were discharged from the hospital four days ago and today is his first well-child visit.

I'm just wondering how necessary it really is to go. He was born perfectly healthy and had all of his screening and everything done in the hospital. He was visited also by pediatricians there who did vision tests, hearing tests and tested all of his reflexes and joints and all that stuff. He is nursing beautifully and his weight is good, he is sleeping normally, etc. etc....I have absolutely no concerns at this point. Also, we're not going to vax, at least not at the moment.

On the one hand, what have I got to lose by going, right? On the other hand, it's one less trip to make. And I admit I'm also a bit (irrationally?) afraid of the doctor trying to retract his uncirc'ed penis even though she came recommended and I really have no reason to think she will other than I know sometimes it happens. By the way, why do doctors have to check little boys' pensises at every visit?! I don't understand! I don't remember dd's vulva/vagina being constantly monitored!

So I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are. Has anyone opted out of the (first, or subsequent) well child visit? If so, why? If not, why not?

TIA!
If i had to do it over again, I wouldn't go. I was exhausted, weight gain was fine. I could barely walk, and bf wasn't well established. Certianly in no shape to drag my sorry butt all the way to the pediatricians. That being said, I've never had a problem with the penis issue. keep an eye on it the first time, but I've never had an issue.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#24 of 38 Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Moving to Life with a Babe... congrats on all the new babes!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#25 of 38 Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM

I like well-baby visits; they're fun! But we also have an amazing ped and adore everyone there. V likes them, too, as she likes any chance to show off and charm people!

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#26 of 38 Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post
We do all WBV visits b/c insurance covers them, I love our ped and I have lots of stupid questions. If we weren't vaxing and I couldn't find a good ped I'm not sure if I'd go though.

I had lots of questions and preferred talking to the ped in person over calling the nurses line.

I've seen 4 or 5 different peds in our practice, and retraction has never been an issue. Not to say it shouldn't be on your radar at all, but I wouldn't assume it's going to be an issue. And you can always bring it up before the diaper check.
#27 of 38 Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM

we dont do well visits. Panda was born at home (UC) and she's never been to the Dr. It seems like my friend's kids always get sick at the well visits.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#28 of 38 Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 AM

I love our well-baby visits--I always come away relieved!

Every time we visit, our ped plays peek-a-boo with DD, or tries to get her to smile, and spends a good 5 minutes just letting DD play and allowing me to ask questions. I realized at some point that he seems to use that time to assess how DD is growing and advancing--and to make sure Mommy is doing OK, too.

I'm guessing he has a mental checklist and this natural interaction--as opposed to plain ol' doctor business--enables him to evaluate how we're really doing. He also always tells me I'm doing a good job, which makes me feel great!

I think well-baby visits give peds the chance to look for little cues that baby may need extra assessment... and I'd rather go and get an all clear that skip it and risk missing a sign we should have picked up earlier...

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#29 of 38 Old 08-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I would go - I like to have the baby weighed

although my midwife came to my place for the first 8 weeks for all the well baby stuff.
#30 of 38 Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here the midwife comes to your house to weigh the baby, and the first two well-baby check ups the doctor comes to the house.
We're doing all the other ones because we want to get to know our pediatrician and have the chance to discuss any questions. She herself suggested not vaxing at least the first year, so that's not a concern. And most boys here are intact so doctors know how to handle it.
In any case, I'd go just for the reassurance that my baby is healthy.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page