For how long do you introduce just one food at a time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've started feeding solids and I'm wondering at what point do you stop introducing one new food, every 4 days or so? I mean, there's a lot of different foods out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do every 3 days

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM

I would wait 3-4 days, make sure the food you've introduced is digesting well and not causing issues. I also wouldn't introduce very starchy or grain heavy foods until over a year.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Yep, we do every 4 to 5 days, just to make sure. DS is crazy about sweet potatoes, carrots and apples!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM

I just wait until my babes can feed themselves (7 1/2 months, 8 1/2 months for the youngest two), then offer pretty much whatever/whenever, with the exception of raw tomatoes, honey, nuts, or grains. I don't wait days between introducing new foods. There are tons of things I give him that have multiple ingredients anyway. It would be hard to figure out which ingredient in the stew/chowder/soup etc. caused a reaction. If my baby rejects a food, I take that as a sign that they aren't ready for it/might be allergic to it/don't like it. So I'll wait a few months and try that food again.

No one in my family has food allergies, and none of my kids have been allergic or intolerant to any foods they've eaten, so I feel comfortable scrapping the waiting between new foods.

Plus, I have a hard time remembering when I last showered. It'd be almost impossible for me to remember what food my kid had 4 days ago.

YMMV
Old 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM

I've been waiting about 3-4 days as well. So far my DD has had Tasty Baby brown rice cereal, butternut squash, and avocado, blended with expressed BM or purified water to adjust for a thin puree. So far so good. I'm reluctant to offer fruits, where we live the fruits are incredibly and naturally super sweet. I'm afraid she'll reject the veggies for the super sugary bananas, pears, papaya, mangos, etc.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM

We do a new one every 3 days....or whenever when the jar runs out and we have to open a new one! :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM

I never waited. It seems like a very unnatural way to feed a child, you know? I didn't do jars or purees either, though - the kids ate whatever we were eating.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
Plus, I have a hard time remembering when I last showered. It'd be almost impossible for me to remember what food my kid had 4 days ago.

YMMV
Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I never waited. It seems like a very unnatural way to feed a child, you know? I didn't do jars or purees either, though - the kids ate whatever we were eating.
This is me, too
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM

well, after a certain point you might not remember that your lo hasn't had something before. we do blw and ds has food allergies, so when he tries something new we do try to watch him pretty closely but we certainly aren't going to continue it for eternity! there just isn't a set time when you stop, afaik. he can continue to have the other foods that passed the test even when trying new stuff. it's a real hassle to have to back track and figure out what is causing a reaction - which we're doing now because we got a little excited and went quickly with a few things.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I worded my question wrong. (mamie cole got it though)

I meant, at what point do you stop the "wait x numbers of days to introduce new food" rule?

Also, when they're first starting solids is it important to give them only one food at a meal. ie. Can I give both avocado and cantalope at the same meal, or should I do only one.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM

if your lo has had one before, you can introduce the new one and the one that passed - ie if he's had avocado before but not melon, you can serve melon and avocado together. if your lo has had neither, I would serve the individually so if there is a reaction you'll know what it was to.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 PM

also, the aap has said the order of food introduction doesn't matter after 6 months as long as there is no history of atopy - that means if your child or family members have no history of allergies (food or environmental), asthma or excema, you don't have to wait until x months to introduce certain foods like wheat, berries, etc as was previously suggested. if you do have a history of atopy they suggest waiting to introduce certain foods.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM

I am a bit cautious about these things, but I will wait until after a year before I stop being cautious about introducing new foods. I don't count how many days it's been, and I am more concerned about certain foods. For example, I might not wait three days after introducing peaches, but when I introduce dairy (after 1 year) I will watch very carefully and be sure it is the only new food at that time. I am also not totally militant about combination foods...he might get soft carrots and other vegetables out of a soup that contains things he hasn't had yet, like cabbage.

At 10 months I am loosening up on letting him try things, but there is a list of things I will be cautious about:
wheat (and other grains containing gluten)
dairy
nuts
peanuts
avocado
banana
mango
coconut
shellfish
oranges/grapefruit/tangerines

Maybe a few more I'm not thinking of. HTH
Old 08-10-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm curious about your caution on these foods:

avocado
banana
mango
coconut

(there's so much to learn!)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Like the pp said, once a food has cleared, i'll serve it alongside other foods that have cleared or 1 that hasn't.

At 10 mos, im still introing foods one at a time, but he often eats off our plates because weve already cleared most of the foods we eat regularly.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I'm curious about your caution on these foods:

avocado
banana
mango
coconut

(there's so much to learn!)
I'm hesitant, I guess, about tropical fruits. Some (if not all) of these fruits are related(?) to rubber trees, or have similar compounds(?) and so can cause trouble for people with latex allergies. I also think they aren't the easiest to digest, at least for me.

Specifically for my family, my niece vomited when she was fed avocado as a baby (it happened several times before she was 2, and she hasn't eaten it since). And when I was a child I couldn't eat bananas because they made my mouth and tongue swollen and raw. Now both my husband and I get heartburn if we eat bananas too frequently, so we pretty much don't buy them and rarely eat them.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

oh, I see. That's interesting.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM

I never did, lol. No history of food allergies in the family and I just wasn't overly concerned with it. No problems thus far and she's tried LOTS of things.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
I am a bit cautious about these things, but I will wait until after a year before I stop being cautious about introducing new foods.

coconut

Maybe a few more I'm not thinking of. HTH
because it's a nut? my nipple cream has coconut oil I figured it's hypoallergenic-ish?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM

With my babes I wait 4-5 days and offer the new food several times b/c reactions won't happen with the first time. After they get older, around their first birthday, I don't worry so much about it.

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM

I never spaced foods like that. Well, I think I did for a few weeks with DD1, when I was just starting her out on foods. But not with the twins-- they just waited until they were old enough to eat what I ate, and then ate that. And I don't eat just one food at a time, so they didn't. The only things I delayed were choking hazards and junk foods. And honey-- but that's an infection risk, not an allergy risk. Honestly, I just didn't have the time to be so organized about their feeding-- I had three under three, and three in diapers, and no time to make special baby foods.

If I saw a suspicious reaction, though, I'd back up and do an elimination diet. We did this with DD2, to eventually identify blueberries as the culprit in her digestive upsets.

FWIW, we do have history of allergies. DH has multiple environmental allergies and asthma, and DS has environmental allergies and is allergic to soy. We identified his allergy before he started solids, however.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 AM

Well before yesterday I was pretty cavalier about this, that is until I had to make an emergency trip to the Dr with my 10 month old son who had a fairly bad reaction to hummus, I am pretty sure it was that he ate it, then rubbed some in his eye...within 5-10 minutes he was rubbing his eyes and his left eye was swelling almost shut. He also got hives, it was very scary to say the least, I unfortunately did not have any children's benadryl, if I had I probably could have stopped his reaction almost immediately. Thing is he's had tastes of hummus in the past at my work, but yesterday I gave him one of our crackers(which he's had) and hummus(which he also has had). BAM he gets a pretty severe allergic reaction. Seeing your baby's face swell and turn bright red is really scary-I came so close to call 911, but I live about 10 minutes from the Dr so I just drove. It was one of the freakiest 10 minutes of my life. Within about 20 minutes of his getting the Benedryl he was much better, it's a good thing to have on hand.

Just because they have had something before, doesn't mean it can't happen. I'll be a bit more cautious now.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 AM

norasmama, we just experienced this with egg on thursday. it was probably the tahini (sesame) in the hummus. you have to be sensitized to something before you react to it.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
norasmama, we just experienced this with egg on thursday. it was probably the tahini (sesame) in the hummus. you have to be sensitized to something before you react to it.
I just read that sesame allergies are becoming more common. I'll be watching him closely around them.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Well before yesterday I was pretty cavalier about this, that is until I had to make an emergency trip to the Dr with my 10 month old son who had a fairly bad reaction to hummus, I am pretty sure it was that he ate it, then rubbed some in his eye...within 5-10 minutes he was rubbing his eyes and his left eye was swelling almost shut. He also got hives, it was very scary to say the least, I unfortunately did not have any children's benadryl, if I had I probably could have stopped his reaction almost immediately. Thing is he's had tastes of hummus in the past at my work, but yesterday I gave him one of our crackers(which he's had) and hummus(which he also has had). BAM he gets a pretty severe allergic reaction. Seeing your baby's face swell and turn bright red is really scary-I came so close to call 911, but I live about 10 minutes from the Dr so I just drove. It was one of the freakiest 10 minutes of my life. Within about 20 minutes of his getting the Benedryl he was much better, it's a good thing to have on hand.

Just because they have had something before, doesn't mean it can't happen. I'll be a bit more cautious now.
wow...that's scary!
i've also been really cavalier after our initial start. i think the last one i was holding out on was peanut butter and i let that go at 8 months or so (no honey...that's a different story though)
thanks for the tip on the benadryl. i'm going to take that advice to heart!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by is it puppies? View Post
because it's a nut? my nipple cream has coconut oil I figured it's hypoallergenic-ish?
Coconut is not actually a nut at all. Likewise, the coconut tree is not actually a tree. Therefore, coconuts are not tree nuts and don't fall into that highly allergenic tree nut category. lol
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Neither DH nor I have a history of food allergies, so we didn't follow this rule at all. Generally speaking, DS eats what we eat (when I have something appropriate. I don't give him my spicy thai curry, for example)

When I do purees - maybe 3x a week? - it is usually a different one each time, but they are all very simple things - pears, apples, berries, bananas, combinations of the above, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.

I think alot depends on what you are comfortable with - either way, you have to keep a close eye as babes don't always show reaction the first time they eat something.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by is it puppies? View Post
No, not because it's a nut. Because it is a relatively common allergen, and because I think it is a little hard to digest.

User Tag List