Which Bottle Brand Do You Recommend? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which Bottle Brand Do You Recommend?
Dr. Brown 10 18.18%
Avent 5 9.09%
Born Free 6 10.91%
Tommee Tippee 1 1.82%
Madela 4 7.27%
Other 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We tried a bunch and the only ones my baby will take are MAM. Kind of a pain, I've had a few leak because I don't have them screwed together just perfectly. So not my choice, but like I said, they are the only kind she will take-and even then not always. She definitely prefers her milk straight from the tap! LOL

Ricki (36) wife to R (35), mommy to 6 year old DS and baby girl born April 24, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
Born Free and Dr. Browns glass bottles contain internal plastic components that the milk has to pass through in order to leave the bottle. They may be glass, but they're not something to buy if you're trying to avoid plastics.
Thanks for all of the info. So is a Born Free BPA Free plastic bottle safer than a Born Free glass bottle?

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
We've been using the Playtex Drop-Ins, which are BPA free. The nipple we have for it is very low-flow and really makes the baby work to get the milk out. DS still gulps it down in seconds though, lol! I pump into the Medela bottles (also BPA-free), and I'd like to get some nipples for those ones because my husband's been complaining that the Drop-Ins are too much work to prepare.
Haha. That's so funny to me because this weekend I went and bought two more drop-in bottles just because they are so EASY to prepare, for me!

I agree with the PPs about getting one or two of several options to see what your baby likes. And, if you discover that your baby likes something, don't be surprised if that preference changes.

At first, DD really liked the drop-ins and the evenflo ones that are angled with the smallish nipple. Then suddenly she started to HATE the angled ones. Right after I went and bought 3 more, of course.

I hadn't wanted to use the drop ins often as it seemed wasteful to me and it costs money to buy the bags. But those are what she likes best. And I like that I can have fewer bottles because I don't have to find time to really clean the bottles. I just bought some extra nipples for those instead. It's way faster for me. I can't effectively measure in those, though, so I use a four ounce avent bottle to measure in. Then I send her extra two ounces of milk in that (I send four ounce bottles, but I send one extra two ounce bottle just in case she has a hungry day).

I like the Avent bottles just fine.

I hate the born free. I can't stand that stupid extra piece to deal with.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM

We got incredibly lucky... ds took the Medela bottles that came with my pump on the first try with no fuss

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 08-17-2010, 04:17 PM

I voted Avent because, well, that's the bottle that's used with my pump. Works well enough.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM

The only bottle my youngest would take was the Soothie bottle. My middle boy would only take a sippy cup (rejected bottle completely).
Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I would have known about Breast Flow bottles before I bought the others. They are the only ones that are so similar to the shape and function of the breast. My baby hated the other kind of nipples, (which is understandable...they are shaped nothing like a breast) and he immediately latched on to these with no learning curse required.

I was so confused about bottles too!

http://www.breastflow.co.uk/

I get mine at diapers.com
Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM

DS1 was another who would drink from anything, but with DS2 we just used the bottles that came with the Ameda pump.

We never ever had a bottle warmer with either baby. It's kind of a waste, IMO, if you're not looking to give lots of bottles. For the one "dad feeding" a day, it's just as easy to fill a mug with hot water from the tap and sit the bottle in there for a few minutes. Breastmilk should be warmed gently and slowly anyway, to avoid damaging any live cells in the milk.

If you're having a nanny when you return to work, you may find it's easier to have a warmer since baby would be getting more bottles at that time, but if you're using an established daycare they should have a system in place.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 PM

I like the Evenflo Classic Glass bottle. They are inexpensive, easy to clean, and very durable.

http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Classi...2094956&sr=8-1

I will be using the same six bottles for DS (EDD 12/6/10) that I used with DD.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
we use the adiri bottles while im at work and i really like it
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 AM

There are soooo many options!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Thanks for all of the info. So is a Born Free BPA Free plastic bottle safer than a Born Free glass bottle?
"Safer" is relative.

According to the staff at Babies R Us, all bottles and bottle components are now required to be BPA free, and the plastic internal components in the glass bottles (which are also present in the plastic versions) should be BPA free.

Thing is, BPA isn't the only potentially dangerous chemical in plastic.
Also, plastic can harbor bacteria moreso than glass, especially if/when the plastic gets scratched.
..but the breakage factor needs to be considered, too, because to some people, that takes glass right off the list of "safe" options.

My thing against the glass bottles with plastic components is this:
Glass is fragile, worrisome to sterilize (it has potential to shatter if heated/cooled too quickly), and can be so pricey, so if I'm going to go out of the way to get/buy/use glass, I'd want it all glass, KWIM? Otherwise it doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment of time, effort, and money that my family could use in other ways.

That said, the best laid bottle plans are often laid to waste. Babies sometimes will refuse to take the bottle you planned and researched in advance. If you get more than one bottle of a certain kind, only open one package at first, so you can return the rest if your baby refuses to use them.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 AM

Breastflow worked. DS didn't really like a bottle, but he would tolerate any "fat" bottle. We used the Avent bottles a lot. The ISIS manual pump will pump directly into them, but most pumps will pump into the more traditional skinny bottles.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post
We use Adiri, but they are discontinued.
We also use Adiri. From what I understand the company actually went out of business. So, they arent discontinued for any safety issues. I bought my set (of three) on Amazon for $20.00

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 AM

Last time I was at BRU, they had Adiri bottles in the clearance section, just FYI.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 AM

We had the "breastflow" bottles. They're specifically designed to encourage babies to nurse at the bottle the way they nurse at the breast, and have a special two part nipple to reach this goal. We only used them for one day (when I had to go to the ER) but, when I came home, 15 day old dd's latch had actually IMPROVED (and it was pretty decent to begin). However, they are plastic- but bpa free.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM

are the breastflow annoying to clean? that is what makes me reluctant to try them. i need things to be as simple as humanly possible.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Play-tex nurser drop ins.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
are the breastflow annoying to clean? that is what makes me reluctant to try them. i need things to be as simple as humanly possible.
not bad at all since everything is wide mouth. No special brushes ect. That's the crummy thing about the even flow bottles.

I would think they would be way easier than the extra parts for the dr brown and bornfree bottles.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post
I strongly recommend waiting, buying one or two brands at a time and figuring out which one your babe will take---we got 10 of the glass Evenflow ones and our daughter never got the hang of that shape of nipple. We use Adiri, but they are discontinued.
just keep in mind that 'standard narrow neck' bottles and nipples are all interchangeable. So you can use medela, dr brown narrow, platex, and evenflo rings and nipples on evenflo/medela or even lansinoh storage bottles. Also, the evenflo purely comfi nipples are the only standard size nipple with the hump to latch on to besides medela's that I have been able to find.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
not bad at all since everything is wide mouth. No special brushes ect. That's the crummy thing about the even flow bottles.

I would think they would be way easier than the extra parts for the dr brown and bornfree bottles.
I was thinking about the nipples specifically, since they're two part. Or do the two parts not come apart and you just clean them like normal?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM

the two parts come apart, so it is like washing two nipples. But even the dr browns and born free have extra parts, that are even more annoying.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
I prefer the medela bottles and nipples, both the old style straight-sided plastic and the new curved glass. The redesigned nipple is much better. Much less effort to use the same bottles that fit the pump.

But honestly, don't buy a lot of stuff now. Get nursing working well and then you'll probably needs to try a few nipples. Many babies are really picky. Don't make an investment before they are even born.

And you don't need a bottle warmer. Just microwave a bit of water to warm it up...
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 PM

I'd go with glass bottles- they're fully non-reactive, and free of BPA and any other plastic chemicals that have yet to be identified.

DS did just fine with standard cheap bottles (evenflo, babies r us, etc) and nuk nipples. The silicone nipples held up much better than the latex ones. That shape of bottle is readily available in glass, but I'm not sure which of the wide-mouthed bottles are available in glass.

I'd suggest buying 1 or 2 4oz glass bottles and one package of silicone nuk nipples, if you feel the need to buy any bottles before birth. If the baby doens't take to that bottle, you can try different nipples, and then possibly different bottle shapes, at that point.

You don't ever need a bottle warmer. You need a bowl of hot water to put the bottle into.

Another option is to not buy any bottles right now, so you're not tempted to give bottles too early on, before breastfeeding is well established. Buying a pump ahead of time is wise- sometimes little BFing problems can be quickly solved with a pump, or turn into big BFing problems if not handled early on. But, even if you find yourself needing to feed pumped milk to a newborn, you don't want to use bottles before 3 weeks at the earliest! Maybe get an oral syringe to keep on hand, so it's available just in case you need to feed the baby a supplement early on.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 AM

DD will happily eat from anything and anyone, but I like Born Free the best. Dr. Browns work well, too.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info mamas!

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40

User Tag List