Which Bottle Brand Do You Recommend? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which Bottle Brand Do You Recommend?
Dr. Brown 10 18.18%
Avent 5 9.09%
Born Free 6 10.91%
Tommee Tippee 1 1.82%
Madela 4 7.27%
Other 29 52.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having my first baby and have read so many conflicting reviews of bottle brands that I am now thoroughly confused. I am planning to breastfeed and pump so DH can feed her too. Which bottle brand do you like best and why?

*** 5 **** 10 **** 15 **** 20 **** 25 **** 30 **** 35 * * * 40
#2 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 PM

I only pump occasionally but use the 4 ounce size gerber glass bottles. They come in a three pack for about 4 dollars at target. I like that they are interchangeable with the medela bottles so i can pump right into them. Also, I'm not fond of using plastic bottles.

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
#3 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 05:19 PM

I preferred the playtex nursers - with the wide latch nipples (not sure the correct term). I had an adapter so I could pump from my Medela straight into the bags.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 PM

I see a LC on a regular basis and she said that they tried EVERY bottle on the market. They tested flow and nipples and so forth.
She recommended the Dr. Brown's wide neck. The flow is the slowest and the nipple is wide and makes baby open like at the breast.
It's what we have been using and they're great.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#5 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 PM

I don't remember what we used for dd but we are using Born Free with ds, and they're great. I honestly haven't tried anything else recently.
#6 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 PM

We tried several kinds, and settled on Dr Brown's wide necked bottles with low flow nipples. Tommee Tippee seemed gimicky, and it was hard to get the last of the milk out.
#7 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 PM

I wish I could tell you. Cecilia won't take any bottle, and we've tried all the ones you've listed and then some. I guess it's a good thing we decided I was quitting my job to stay home with her!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#8 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 PM

you don't have it as an option but Breastflow by the first years is awesome. It is designed to mimic nursing and my DS never had any problems going from to it from breast and back

sleepytime.gif
#9 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM

ooh, I forgot about the breastflow bottles -I had those with my youngest, liked them a lot.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 PM

We use Dr Browns but I will say out of laziness, they are such a pain to clean and I am always misplacing the parts.

I also use WeilBaby bottles, which I do like. I got them at Whole Foods.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#11 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 PM

I strongly recommend waiting, buying one or two brands at a time and figuring out which one your babe will take---we got 10 of the glass Evenflow ones and our daughter never got the hang of that shape of nipple. We use Adiri, but they are discontinued.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#12 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 PM

We used the playtex drop in's. It was the only one he would ever take and we tried them all. It was also important for the bottle to be BPA free for us. We bought a bunch of the breastflow ones before he was born but he wouldn't take those and then we realized that they weren't BPA free so we got rid of all of them.

SAHM to my DS born 12/5/07, DD born 3/21/11

#13 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We use Medela or Medela nipples on Gerber bottles, which are far cheaper and threaded the same as Medela. DD had some trouble sucking on the nipple at first, but, then again, she had trouble sucking on anything and everything at first
#14 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 PM
tzs

i had a babe who refused bottles but i had the most success with the breastflow. nuk also makes a bottle which i had been meaning to try since she was using their pacifiers and the shape was the same.
once she got the hang of it i just used whatever, mainly a variety of the ones we had previously tried and rejected and if i have to buy new ones it's the cheap-o 99 cent things all the way.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#15 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemrose View Post
I only pump occasionally but use the 4 ounce size gerber glass bottles. They come in a three pack for about 4 dollars at target. I like that they are interchangeable with the medela bottles so i can pump right into them. Also, I'm not fond of using plastic bottles.

Same here. We used the breastflow bottles when we were worried abt ds's latch, but it was a pain to keep transfering from bottle to bottle. Bf babies often don't take more than 4 ounces, and it's sooo nice to be able to pump right into them. And they are cheap, and you don't have to worry abt leaching.

I know they sell born free adapters if you want to go that route for glass bottles (too $$$$ for me).

I also wanted to recommend the medela bulk storage packs-- they run abt 15 dollars for 12 of them, and we've found them so convenient for storing, freezing and feeding. I was able to score a whole bunch for cheap off of cl, though.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#16 of 56 Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 PM

I like the Playtex drop ins. I like that when you push the air out, your baby can eat sitting up or whatever position he or she likes.
#17 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post
I strongly recommend waiting, buying one or two brands at a time and figuring out which one your babe will take---we got 10 of the glass Evenflow ones and our daughter never got the hang of that shape of nipple. We use Adiri, but they are discontinued.
This!

We tried: Breastflow (didn't work for us), Born Free (he didn't like), Dr. Brown's (pricey and he wasn't impressed), Platex Drop-Ins (too complicated for me at 2 am) and finally settled out with Avent - but not the honey colored ones, those leaked all over me. We have the BPA-free kind with the adapter ring.

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#18 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 04:39 AM

I'm in the camp of... try them out; and that it depends on their age.
DS had gas issues and the drop-ins were wonderful for solving that "extra air" issue. We tried so many kinds the first few weeks he had a bottle, and no matter the burps, he still had issues. The first time we tried the drop-in, that extra gas issue was gone. And he used until about 8months. But they leak. (or at least, ours did).
DS also made a connection with the sound the drop-ins make. He would end up just playing with the bottle to make the plastic inflate.

Now we're just back to the Medela that came with the pump, at 11months. during the day I give him a sippy, but going down, he still wants that "baba".

woohoo I'm a mommy! Lil man born 9-12-09
#19 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM

My first would take anything, just feed him!! LOL!

My second had severe feeding issues due to several birth defects, we tried bunches of bottles, finally discovered the Breastflow, and it was great! Worked better than the bottles designed for his type of defect even.

My third had a small palate issue, and again the Breastflow was the only one that worked for him initially. Now that he's older he'll take anything.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#20 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've been using the Playtex Drop-Ins, which are BPA free. The nipple we have for it is very low-flow and really makes the baby work to get the milk out. DS still gulps it down in seconds though, lol! I pump into the Medela bottles (also BPA-free), and I'd like to get some nipples for those ones because my husband's been complaining that the Drop-Ins are too much work to prepare.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#21 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I guess it looks like it will be ultimately up to baby which bottle brand we will use. This is my first so I'm not yet used to NOT making all of the decisions.

I guess I will try 1 or 2 of 2-3 of the brands you ladies mentioned to start with and see what works best.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but does anyone have a bottle warmer recommendation also?

#22 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 PM

Are you planning on bottle feeding your baby full time, or just as a backup? I think it makes a difference; if you're not breast feeding, babies learn fairly quickly to use whatever nipple is in their mouth, because they don't know any differently. If you are going to breast feed, you don't have to worry about this quite yet, I think most people agree that you shouldn't start bottles for a couple of months, to develop a strong nursing relationship first (this is what I was taught at least).

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#23 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am planning to breastfeed until I have to return to work (6-8 weeks unless I get a client who will let me work from home) and then bottle feed during the day and breastfeed when I am home.

#24 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 PM

my LO (8 months old) seems to like the Breastflow bottles by 1st years (which was accidentally shoplifted by my 3 year old ) and the Adiri nursers, he really, really likes them, he chomps down on the nipple just like he does mine

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#25 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM

We use anything glass (we have munchkin, dr brown, and evenflo) but DH likes the dr brown's best. All of these (standard size) work with my medela pump, and that was really important for us.

as for bottle warmers: we bought one, but have never used it. here is what we do: either microwave a pyrex measuring glass with water in it or if the hot water kettle is full put that in the pyrex measuring glass and set bottle in it. wait 1-2 minutes and voila! warm milk.

FWIW, since we have glass bottles, I found most of the bottle warmers don't work very well, they are designed to be used with plastic.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#26 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

^^ Great tip! I think I would prefer glass bottles so that is nice to know.

#27 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM

With dd2 we started with Avent, which is what dd1 preferred but that was a no go. We switched to Evenflo Purely Comfi after a recommendation from a friend and they worked great. They're BPA free and dd2 took to them immediately. I guess she wasn't a fan of wide mouth bottles.
#28 of 56 Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 PM
tzs

i would also do a little asking as to when you should start introducing bottles. i followed everyones' advice of waiting 4 weeks or 6 weeks or whatever it is and by that time dd was so nipple non-confused that she wouldn't take anything. i finally had to resort to formula in a bottle because it was the only thing she would take from an artificial nipple (i guess if the nipple was fake the milk had to be fake too. who knows...)
and then suddenly it seemed like everybody was popping out of the woodwork and telling me that my mistake was not starting early enough.
so maybe listen to the lactation consultants but also talk to a bunch of btdt mom's as well and get a well-rounded assortment of opinions up front.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#29 of 56 Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 AM

Born Free and Dr. Browns glass bottles contain internal plastic components that the milk has to pass through in order to leave the bottle. They may be glass, but they're not something to buy if you're trying to avoid plastics.
The Evenflo glass bottles don't have this problem (and are SO much cheaper), but my daughter won't take them. :/
There are other plastic-free glass baby bottles; I think LifeFactory, Momo Baby and Coddlelife make glass bottles that are plastic-free (not counting the plastic nipple ring, but that just holds the silicone nipple against the glass bottle, and doesn't come into contact with the contents).

MAM is the only brand of nipple my daughter will take. She won't take anything else- not even an SNS.
MAM bottles unscrew at both ends, so they're very easy to clean (but they're starting to pick up a slight odor, anyway).
I had some Avent bottles that my DD wouldn't take, and have used MAM nipples on those with no problem, so if you have Avent and want to see if MAM will work for you, you can just buy some MAM nipples to try so you don't have to invest in more bottles that might not work.

Because of the slight odor, we decided to switch from the MAM bottles. I'm not sure my clumsyness is a good match for glass bottles, and the last ones I tried were rejected, so I ordered Klean Kanteens with sippy adapters. According to a few online reviews, these are compatible with Avent nipples and should work with MAM nipples as well (but they only take Avent caps, MAM caps won't fit).
I'm pretty psyched about getting something that can be used as a baby bottle, a sippy cup, and later as a water bottle that she can use as a big girl, and that anyone in the family can use, just by switching the lid.
I also love that it's not plastic and not breakable (though the contents will come into contact with a little bit of plastic at the adapter).

There are completely plastic-free steel baby bottles (which can be used with a bunch of different nipple types) and silicone baby bottles as well, so you have truly plastic-free options other than glass.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#30 of 56 Old 08-17-2010, 02:24 AM

We use the Playtex Drop-Ins and love them. Not exactly the most "green" option but it's what has always worked well for her so it's what I stick with. Even as a young baby, she never had problems with gas due to bottle feeding and I attribute a lot of that to the bottles.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page