If you delayed solids, what first foods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost 10 months and we just gave him his first table food this weekend: some smashed avocado. I plan to practice BLW again, the difference being that this time we delayed for a few months so I have no idea what kinds of foods would be good "first foods". The same as when they're 6 MO?

I'm not terribly concerned about allergies, so I'm also wondering how long I should wait before giving him stuff like finely chopped up spaghetti, smashed beans and rice, etc. I'm certainly not in any rush; I like him subsisting primarily on BM and don't think he needs solids. Mostly, I like the idea of being able to give him some version of what we eat.

He had zero interest in eating the avocado, BTW. Both times he just smashed it around the tray and between his fingers. I think he took two licks, total.

I feel like a total dunce here, being a second-time mama and having forgotten how to do solids! Thanks in advance for your help!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#2 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm not sure, but I'm giving you a bump

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#3 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
He had zero interest in eating the avocado, BTW. Both times he just smashed it around the tray and between his fingers. I think he took two licks, total.
I think this is what is to be expected. I don't think they would start eating it super quickly.

As for other foods, I personally want to avoid carby foods early on. I think Cecilia's early repertoire is going to be avocado, sweet potato, and other steamed veggies and fruits.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I feed them anything that is on my plate that won't cause them to choke.

The youngest one actually does have a lot of food intolerance issues and we are both on a pretty strict diet because she is still nursing. The typical first foods like banana, avocado, etc... are all very big no-no's for her. They are latex cross-reactives, so if you a family history of latex issues or your child has shown sensitivity to those, they are probably not good ones to start with

Aside from that I would not get too concerned about specific foods. If you are having spaghetti go a head and cut him some up.

#5 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I feed them anything that is on my plate that won't cause them to choke.

The youngest one actually does have a lot of food intolerance issues and we are both on a pretty strict diet because she is still nursing. The typical first foods like banana, avocado, etc... are all very big no-no's for her. They are latex cross-reactives, so if you a family history of latex issues or your child has shown sensitivity to those, they are probably not good ones to start with

Aside from that I would not get too concerned about specific foods. If you are having spaghetti go a head and cut him some up.
This is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you! At this point, I'm actually kind of glad that he's not very interested... poor DH gets so stressed out watching the babes eat (he worries about gagging/choking even though I don't give things that the baby will choke on ).

#6 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM

I would say banana, avodcado, sweet potato, meats, etc. I would not mash it for a 10 month old. Give him slices of avocado. Chunk other things like banana and meats - give fist-sized chunks. He will take bites (or for meats, suck on it/gnaw at it - probably won't really "eat" it much at this point)

I personally feel that it's best to keep babies grain-free until after their first birthday. Grains are really hard for babies to digest because they haven't yet developed the enzymes to digest them. But many parents give grains with no problem.

Steamed veggie chunks, fruits cooked gently in butter, etc are all good for babies Just give him something similar to what you are having for dinner

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#7 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 10:36 PM

I didn't really delay that much - ds1 started solids ~7.5 months and ds2 ~8 or so odd months (he didn't sit up reliably till much later, so that was my 'excuse' ). That said, I never really did any sort of 'first food' - ds1's I remember quit distincly: He grabbed a handful of taco leavings (you know, the bits of meat/cheese/lettuce/salsa/onion/etc that are left after your 'done'? THAT!) and shoved it in his mouth... from then on we just gave him bits of whatever it was we were eating. DS2, I honestly don't remember

Everything I read on the subject said that as long as you a: waited till 6+ months, and b: didn't have a strong history of allergies in your family (we don't... dh had environmental allergies as a kid, as did my brother, but nothing else), then theres really no reason to wait on anything. So, we didn't.
#8 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 AM

I gave DD a whole, peeled, juicy pear. She licked it and mouthed it to her heart's content, independently, which is what I wanted. I rarely spoon- or hand-feed her. Re: your hubby's concern about choking/gagging, sometimes she gets a piece that is too big for her, but she's always been able to get it out on her own.
#9 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
I gave DD a whole, peeled, juicy pear. She licked it and mouthed it to her heart's content, independently, which is what I wanted. I rarely spoon- or hand-feed her. Re: your hubby's concern about choking/gagging, sometimes she gets a piece that is too big for her, but she's always been able to get it out on her own.
Good idea about the pear!

As to the choking/gagging, I know that's the case and logically he does too. It still doesn't make him feel any better. I think for him meal time with a baby is a little like watching a train wreck. Poor guy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page