sweaty baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone else have a sweaty baby?
From day one Max has been naturally very warm from the inside. At first we had to watch his temperature every day just to make sure it didn't become a real fever, which it never did, but was always at the very upper limit of normal. He gets sweaty so easily, especially when he sleeps. He sleeps in just a diaper swaddled in a thin muslin cloth, and he still sweats like crazy. There's even a little stain on our mattress where his head goes! I assume he'd let us know if he was uncomfortable (he does with everything else!), but there's not much else we could do besides not swaddle him, which would result in less sleep. He also gets hot and sweaty in the Moby wrap, and we can't even use it on really hot days. And his little hands and feet are always sticky.
I'm not sure why I'm posting this, I guess I just want to hear that I'm not the only one with a sweaty little guy, and any solutions you've found. I think we pretty much just need to accept it, since it isn't really a big deal.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think there's a sweaty gene in our family. I was shocked by how much DD sweat as a baby. After that, I wasn't surprised when DS was born a sweaty baby too. I wake up in the morning with a big sweat mark on the bed where his head is and I'm sweaty just from laying next to him. We call him our sweat ball. My SIL just had a baby and her DD is sweaty too! There must be some strange gene going on in my family.

ETA: Oh yeah, and they don't stop sweating as toddlers... DD still sweats a lot in bed!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#3 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
All of mine are like that. We bedshare with the babies so sometimes it gets annoying because they kick the blankets off and I can't stand sleeping without blankets.
#4 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Location: Physically in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mentally in Anywhere, Else.
I laughed out loud when I read your post. DD is the same way! Her little nose starts beading up with sweat if I put a light cloth over her legs at night. She learned very early on how to kick off all blankets! I guess our babies are just hotter than other babies.
#5 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Yup, Cecilia is a sweater too! My husband is as well, so I suppose that's where she gets it from.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#6 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 PM

I keep bugging the pedi about this, too! My first two weren't sweaty babies, but #3 is very sweaty. There's always a big wet mark where his head goes in our bed and once I put on dark green sheets and in the AM there was a huge salty mark like a halo all around him.

Pedi says some people are just sweatier than others. My DH runs hot, too, but the rest of us like sheets on in summer and bundles of warm blankets in winter. Hopefully DH will take his sweaty son into the guest bed this winter and leave the other two and me to snuggle up in our comforters!

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Sweaty baby here too! When I've mentioned it to people I've had more than one person respond "babies don't sweat!" Um . . . yes they do! We wake up fairly wet every morning.

M :, wife to P :, Proud new mama to N
#8 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 07:50 PM

ugh my 10 month old is a sweater. We always wanted to have a son with long hair but I have already given T 4 haircuts because he just gets so hot!
The worst is when i switch sides nursing at night and feel a hot sticky wet sheet on my back from where he was just laying. Now whenever that happens i will just smile and think of you ladies!

Postpartum Doula mama to Tristan born 10/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page