Eye Colour - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone,

I was wondering when your babies eye colour settled into his/her permanent colour.

When my DS was born, we honestly couldn't say what his eye colour was. It wasn't any colour really. Muddy-ish of all colours. Now things are a little clearer but one is darker than the other one. Is this normal? Do/can eyes change colour separately?

Am I going to end up with a kid with two different coloured eyes?
If it helps any, I have eyes that change colour. I can't remember what it is called, but it is kind of cool.
#2 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 01:00 PM

DD is 10 months and I'm still not sure. She's kind of dark hazel with dark blue around the edges. My eyes are brown and turn hazel in certain light or moods--so maybe she takes after me...?

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#3 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both my babies had blue eyes as infants. My sons eyes turned greenish hazel sometime in his second year...

My daughter is just 5.5 months and her eyes are blue and sometimes gray...not sure if they will stay this colour or not.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Both my husband and I have blue eyes, and our baby's eyes are blue too, but very very dark blue. People often comment on it. It would seem like they'll turn brown based on how dark they are now, but I somehow doubt it. We'll see...

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#5 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

My husband's eyes are hazel, mine are dark brown. DD at 7 mos is still waffling between brown and that grayish blue. I imagine they will be brown eventually but not totally there yet.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#6 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
Both my husband and I have blue eyes, and our baby's eyes are blue too, but very very dark blue. People often comment on it. It would seem like they'll turn brown based on how dark they are now, but I somehow doubt it. We'll see...
If you and your DH have blue eyes, then your DS will have blue (though the exact color of blue can differ) based on your genotypes.

Here is a cool genetic allele calculator that will show the probability of your kids' eye colors.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#7 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM

hmmm both my parents have blue eyes, but my are not...they are more green hazel!

I tried that link, but hazel isn't an option,

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#8 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Hazel is one of the least-well understood eye colors.

DH has green-hazel eyes, like his mom, but his dad has blue. I'm a blue-eyed offspring of two blue-eyed people. DD is currently blue-eyed, and by the color and brightness, we imagine they'll remain blue.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#9 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Just wanted to add that DD's Irish family thinks she has dark eyes, and her Canadian family thinks she has blue eyes. Go figure!

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#10 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM

My husband has hazel eyes (everyone sees something different. I see a greenish hazel color, some people see blue, some see brown. It's interesting.)

I have grey eyes. Not blue, grey.

Our son has blue eyes so far but who knows if they'll stay that way.

We have a friend with one very green eye and one very brown eye. It's more common than you might think!

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#11 of 58 Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

My dh has brown eyes, mine are green. Dd1 has denim blue eyes and 9mo dd2's eyes are green, I believe they will be very close in color to mine which are an olive green.
#12 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM

If they're still at the point where you can't really tell what color they are, I wouldn't worry about it. (Not that it would be a big deal if they were different, though). I knew a girl growing up who had two different colored eyes, but they were VERY different. Like one was brown and the other was gold/hazel.

I asked my pediatrician when eyes tend to settle down and he said that usually if your baby's eyes are clearly one color by 4 months, they will stay that way. HTH.
#13 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've heard it can take up to 6 years...
WIth Cecilia she had crystal clear blue eyes right from birth and they have stayed that way. SHe has her daddies eyes
WIth Margaret they were a deep blue almost violet at birth and have lighted up hers seem to be going a bit more onto the grey side but are diffiently blue. M has my eyes...

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#14 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post
If you and your DH have blue eyes, then your DS will have blue (though the exact color of blue can differ) based on your genotypes.

Here is a cool genetic allele calculator that will show the probability of your kids' eye colors.
I went to see a genetic couselor when pregnant with my dd2. She said it was much more complicated than that. I was talking to her about the charts when learn in high school. You know, Dominant Domminant + Dominant Recessive can never be blue eyed. Or Recessive Recessive + Recessive Recessive always = blue. She said that just a really simplified version.
For what it's worth, my eyes are blue grey and my dh's are light brown. He is Peruvian and chinese and has one grandma who was green eyed. My dd1 has green eyes. Sometimes they look blue but mostly they are green. They are never brown and never have looked brown. I think my one-year-old is going to have the same color but I'm not sure.

:Mama to 2 :
#15 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM

my 4.5 mo has two blue eyes turning green from the center, and her right iris is half brown.

go figure.
(and I love it!)

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#16 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
I went to see a genetic couselor when pregnant with my dd2. She said it was much more complicated than that. I was talking to her about the charts when learn in high school. You know, Dominant Domminant + Dominant Recessive can never be blue eyed. Or Recessive Recessive + Recessive Recessive always = blue. She said that just a really simplified version.
For what it's worth, my eyes are blue grey and my dh's are light brown. He is Peruvian and chinese and has one grandma who was green eyed. My dd1 has green eyes. Sometimes they look blue but mostly they are green. They are never brown and never have looked brown. I think my one-year-old is going to have the same color but I'm not sure.
Well, yeah, eye color isn't monovalent, but the little tool helps for most people-especially those with little or no genetic background. Human eye color is controlled by 3 or more genes: Blue/brown, blue/green, and central brown (possibly more, but only 3 have been proven for sure, although likely 6 or more are involved for all the subtle coloring) with 2 possible alleles each. Those different alleles of the genes interact with each other to deposit melanin (coloring) into the iris. There are also different genes for starbursts, spots, stripes, etc. So, there are 5 basic eye colors, with variation, making it appear to be like a continuous possibility from very light blue to almost black in color. *most of these variations are in people of european ancestry*

There is also some linking with skin and hair color to eye colors, but that is way too complicated for me. However, the basic blue/green/brown system works for most people curious about possible children's colors (barring hazel and some grey colors). You won't know the specifics, but if you have blue and the father has blue, your kid will have blue almost 100% of the time.

Side note: my grandmother has one brown and one blue eye. The blue/brown coloring (except for subtleties of the color) occurs on one gene like an "on/off" switch. The beginning of this gene signals the eyes to have lots or little melanin. If there is a mutation on an eye that should be brown that keeps it from producing as much melanin as it is supposed to, it can show up
blue. That's what happened to my g-ma: she was supposed to have both brown eyes, and has a mutation in 1 that showed up blue. Another gene can sort of switch from brown to green/hazel, so 2 diff. eye colors aren't unheard of. And I think they're pretty cool. (Disclaimer: some mild genetic diseases, in-womb trauma, and diseases can produce 2 different color eyes, but they usually look "off")

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#17 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 PM

My son who is nearly 5 colour has changed. It is like a sea foam green when it used to be a deep dark blue.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#18 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 AM

DD's eyes are blue/grey. Halfway between DH's blue eyes and my mother's grey eyes.

DS' eyes are a complete mystery. His hair is the same colour as DD's, strawberry blonde, but his eyes are flecked with brown and other colours - I suspect he'll go light brown like my brown-eyed, auburn-haired grandfather, or hazel, like me.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#19 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
There is also some linking with skin and hair color to eye colors, but that is way too complicated for me.
Yup, eye color in redheads is linked to the same thing that actually causes the red hair.

My husband has light blue eyes with some hints of green in them. I have darkish blue eyes. Our daughter has the same color eyes as me.
#20 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM

At 4.5 months Cecilia's eyes are pretty similar to mine in that they are a base color that shifts depending on what she's wearing or what mood she's in. Mine are green with a faint amount of blue, and can look bright blue, bright green, grey, even hazel-brown depending on the aforementioned factors. Cecilia's currently are a base grey color with the same mutable ability as mine. It will be interesting to see what base color they settle into, since I have green eyes and my husband has blue eyes with faint amounts of green (but his don't change like mine do).

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#21 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella99 View Post
Yup, eye color in redheads is linked to the same thing that actually causes the red hair.
And red hair is even more complicated than we used to think- it's now thought that certain alleles will bring out certain hues in redheads- darker auburn hair is impacted by brunette alleles, that beautiful coppery-fire color is from straight-up red genes, etc.

I'm one of 3 redheaded kids in our family- my brother's is much more pure, my sister's is more of a diluted strawberry blonde, and I have pretty regular red hair.

The baby's hair? We STILL don't know what color to call it! Her daddy was a bald-looking blonde til 2, then he was just blonde til 20ish. I was red from the get go- hers goes between blonde and light brown and reddish.

Whatever it is, she has a LOT of it for being so fair.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#22 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 PM

"There is also some linking with skin and hair color to eye colors, but that is way too complicated for me. However, the basic blue/green/brown system works for most people curious about possible children's colors (barring hazel and some grey colors). You won't know the specifics, but if you have blue and the father has blue, your kid will have blue almost 100% of the time."

Oh, don't get me wrong. I loved those little charts in eigth grade. It's just that I was taught that they were FACT. When I was an undergrad I read a William Carlos Williams book where the daughter has two blue eyed parents and is herself brown eyed. I held out that this is impossible because, by God, I had been taught that by Mr. S!
I seriously thought it was fact until I went to the genetic counselor with this baby.
And this is why my graduate degree is in literature.

:Mama to 2 :
#23 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
Yup. Eye color is a whole lot more complicated than that calculator suggests. It doesn't even account for hazel eyes at all! I have hazel eyes - pale blue or green (depends on who you ask) surrounding an amber (almost orange) starburst in the middle. DH has dark green/brown hazel eyes. DD1 has medium blue eyes surrounding a tan starburst, so I think that's considered hazel, since hazel just means the colors are hard to specify. DD2 is only 5 months, but her eyes are bright medium blue surrounding a pale blue starburst.
#24 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
At 4.5 months Cecilia's eyes are pretty similar to mine in that they are a base color that shifts depending on what she's wearing or what mood she's in. Mine are green with a faint amount of blue, and can look bright blue, bright green, grey, even hazel-brown depending on the aforementioned factors. Cecilia's currently are a base grey color with the same mutable ability as mine. It will be interesting to see what base color they settle into, since I have green eyes and my husband has blue eyes with faint amounts of green (but his don't change like mine do).
Eye color really can't change based on your clothing or your mood. Eye color is determined by proteins made in the eye, and it doesn't happen fast enough to change when you change your shirt or get your feelings hurt. There is some belief that they may be able to change in relation to stress, since that can affect gene expression, but simple "I'm happy" or "I'm sad" just wouldn't do it.
#25 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 04:22 PM

My use of the word "changing" would be better described as "looks a certain way because of the surroundings." But changing is understood a lot more readily by most people and is easier to say. I certainly don't believe that my eyes are actually bright blue when they look that way, but they do come across like it.

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#26 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Eye color can *appear* to change due to clothing or emotion, though. With clothing, certain colors will enhance or "bring out" surrounding colors, including eyes. The same goes for skin tone, hair color, etc. As for emotion, the pupil can contract or expand due to emotion, causing the color of the iris to look a little different, and the eye itself can expand and contract due to emotion, again changing how the iris is seen by others.

It's semantics, really. The iris isn't actually changing, but it looks like it is.

#27 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 05:04 PM
2xy

DS1's eyes are denim blue. DS2's eyes are green. Lizard green, I call it. They never appear to be blue or brown...they are very green, like an olive.

I don't know when his eyes turned, but in his 18mo portraits, they were definitely still bright blue from babyhood. I didn't get another set of "close-up" portraits of him until he was four, and they were green by then. All of the pics I have of him between 18mo and 4yo are not close enough to really see eye color.

My eyes are blue. DS1's father's eyes are blue. DS2's father's eyes are green.
#28 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
My son who is nearly 5 colour has changed. It is like a sea foam green when it used to be a deep dark blue.
This is happening to my 8 1/2 year old. His eyes used to be the exact deep blue color of my brothers. They had identical eye coloring. Now, his eyes are starting to fade and take on a greenish tint. His father has green eyes so I'm not totally surprised but I am surprised that it is happening so late. His eyes as a baby were SO blue....and they just started changing in the last year or so.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#29 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
I've heard it can take up to 6 years...
It can take a lifetime, actually. My dd is 8 and her eyes are still changing. At 6, they were VIBRANT blue. Now, they are turning more green. My sister is 50 and her eyes are still changing. They used to be more brown, but they're more green now... and she even has half of one iris that is blue. Yes, quite literally, half of the iris of one eye is blue, while the other half is brown.

The truth is... nobody knows. Not even the "experts". I don't think they've even identified all the genes that control eye color. We are brown/brown parents and dd has had blue or now-becoming-green eyes her whole almost-9-years.
#30 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinYay View Post
The iris isn't actually changing, but it looks like it is.
Umm... yeah it is... see my previous post.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page