Diaper change wrestle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has probably been asked a dozen times, but any advice for diapering a super strong, super wiggle 10.5 month old?

My ds WILL NOT lay still for diaper changes anymore. It's a wrestling match every time. And this is really not fun, esp with dirty dipes! I can't seem to change a diaper with him standing as I know some do and I have tried every toy in the box. And now it's to the point where he knows when I say its time for a diaper change and he crawls away from me as fast as possible. Geez.

Any tips/tricks? Is this just a phase?

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM

my son was like that...oh he wiggled. i was terrible at changing standing up because my daughters layed so still.

have you tried facing him away from you standing up...using your body to hold the diaper up and do up in the front?

good luck?

maybe a funny game like peek a boo...or making funny sounds...or what sound does this animal make...might distract him while he's lying down if he plays along.

good luck

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 PM

It's starting to be a struggle over here, too. Right now, I give DD her baby brush and ask her to brush her hair while I change her--and she taps her head with it and runs it (mostly upside down) across her head. That often stalls her long enough for a quick change. Or I count to three while taking off/putting on/securing her diaper, as she's learned that whatever I'm asking will be over on "three!" and she often smiles and waits for it.

But getting her dressed... now there's another story. Between wiping her face and putting sunscreen on and dressing her, I pull out every trick in the book and still end up screaming through gritted teeth "DD, will you just keep still for one more second!!! UGH!"

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 PM

we sing but mostly we give him stuff to hold he can't normally have to play with like little tubes and bottles of miscellaneous lotions, ointments, stuff like that. it usually works but we have to keep finding new stuff. sometimes we give him the cell phone too.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

This is exactly what I have been resorting to Octobermoon, but I feel like all my stash of interesting items is no longer interesting. I'm down to giving him scissors at this point

I've got nothing good enough to keep him still for 1 min. Seriously, this kid is a madman!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oh, good grief, this is exactly what we're going through as well. It's maddening! Sometimes DS (9 mo.) just throws a fit as soon as I lay him down, sometimes he flips and scoots away as soon as I get the diaper off. Sometimes we have better luck on the floor vs. the changing table. I also feel like I'm running out of distractions, and I bought some shakers today for this purpose. We CD, and I just can't get a prefold on him, though DH somehow manages. Hoping it's a phase...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 AM

Ok, my ds is older, but my mom has the best trick ever! She pretends she's the diaper monster and needs his diaper! She says things like, EEeeeewwwwwwwwwwww this diaper is SO dirty! The diaper monster is here to steal your diaper! If you don't let the diaper monster steal your diaper he's going to TICKLE YOUR TUMMY!

OMG its the funniest thing ever, and ds LOVES it! He laughs through every single diaper change when my mom does that! Too bad my mom can't do all his diapers....but I think I might adopt her technique, its hilarious and it works!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Daddy has learned that when he's home and momma's changing the baby, he best hop aboard the Baby Entertainment Express, lest momma get kinda grumpy.

When it's just the two of us, she'll lay happily if I sing Itsy-Bitsy Spider or Pattycake. Granted, I get just enough time to do what needs to be done, but it sure beats the Mary Lou Retton routine.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM

I sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Also, next round of footie pjs I get will have zippers, not a million snaps on them.

I love the diaper monster. I might steal that.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM

My youngest wrestles a 'normal' amount. My 2yo (because he has some sensory issues and has had a TERRIBLE/PAINFUL rash fairly recently) is Absolutely Awful To Change- it's not a matter of holding still, he tries to beat us off with his fists. :/

The things i have found to help are

1. Changing them right where they are- taking them away from whatever they are doing, is risking Certain Doom. We change on the floor or standing up wherever they are.

2. Making it quick. If you are at home- don't bother with anything more than a diaper and a tshirt. Less to take off and put on hurries things along so they are much less impatient.

3. If you use cloth- it seems counterintuitive, but prefolds may just be a friend. I can change a prefold on a standing boy in about 15 seconds (bikini twist it before popping it on, and fasten with pins or a snappi- it seems to annoy my guys less than a fitted or pocket- and with the twist I can always get a nice snug fit between the legs even when they are standing. The twist also creates a little 'pocket' for a dirty and minimizes how much time I need to spend cleaning them up. I don't bother with covers when we are home either unless they are about to nap or go to bed.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tway View Post
Or I count to three while taking off/putting on/securing her diaper, as she's learned that whatever I'm asking will be over on "three!" and she often smiles and waits for it.
Since I read this thread, I have done a modified version of this and it already seems to be working. I count back from 20- slow and fast depending on what I am doing and how long it is taking. Of course, I make it sound like loads of fun as I get closer to 1 and then I set him free. He goes crawling all over the place all excited. If I have to do multiple things, I just do it in steps.
Thanks for the tip and OP, I recommend trying it.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

User Tag List