FloraVital anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone giving their baby floravital for iron supplementation? I don't want to give the enfamil brand. I'm using molasses and kale and enriched brown rice cereal, but my pediatrician wants her on an iron supplement. Any suggestions??

momma to one sweet little girl born January 2010, and a lovable little boy born August 2012. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Me. It's great, doesn't taste bad. She doesn't love it but she doesn't throw it up either. I had my husband taste the drops and he said they tasted like our dog's poop smells. I am not giving that to her, just the description makes me heave.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 AM

Oh the iron & the supplements! please tell me more. Snowangel, your LO is about 7 mo right? How you give her the kale?

The ped haven't recommended any supplements yet but DS was EBM until last visit at 5 mo. We are doing baby led weaning so I shouldn't really expect food to be any source of nutrition just yet. The Wic nutritionist was just today pushing for supplements and fortified cereals. I have no idea which position to take (one more thing to do endless google searches).
The floravital, Pandme... You said it's great. What's up with the dog poo smell like taste?

Sad that I have no knowledge to share. I'm just stirring this up to see what solutions worked for other moms.

Married toguitar.gifstillheart.gif, Mom to angel.gif 02/00, DSrainbow1284.gif blahblah.gif 02/10,  babyboy.gifpos.gif 02/13 and cat.gif07/96 delayedvax.gifgd.gifsigncirc1.giffly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif

Old 08-20-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflower View Post
Oh the iron & the supplements! please tell me more. Snowangel, your LO is about 7 mo right? How you give her the kale?

The ped haven't recommended any supplements yet but DS was EBM until last visit at 5 mo. We are doing baby led weaning so I shouldn't really expect food to be any source of nutrition just yet. The Wic nutritionist was just today pushing for supplements and fortified cereals. I have no idea which position to take (one more thing to do endless google searches).
The floravital, Pandme... You said it's great. What's up with the dog poo smell like taste?

Sad that I have no knowledge to share. I'm just stirring this up to see what solutions worked for other moms.
Yikes, I wasn't clear. The Floravital tastes great, I've taken it. We also have the nasty drops from the drug store which I never gave her. I had my husband taste them because I was afraid, lol. They are every bit as horrible as you hear. I am so glad we found the Floravital instead.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflower View Post
Oh the iron & the supplements! please tell me more.
i would only supplement with iron if baby (born at term) tested low. see:

http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/files/...Newsletter.pdf

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

hth

nak
Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

My LO is almost 8 months and i give her kale after steaming it REALLY well - then puree then i mix it with pureed pears and then freeze what i cant immediately use. She doesn't mind the taste at all.I'm going to order the vital supplement thank you for your advice!!!

momma to one sweet little girl born January 2010, and a lovable little boy born August 2012. 

Old 08-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Unless her iron tested low, I'm not sure what the reasoning is for giving an iron supplement? Especially if she will eat high iron foods not sure why you would.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List