Formula fed cousin - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin in ffing her 4 month old. Baby started sleeping through the night at 2 months...

Now she's waking and won't settle without a bottle. They've tried pain relief in case it's teething but I honestly think the poor kid is hungry. A 4 mo old shouldn't be going 8-10 hours without eating, right????

My three were/are EBF so I'm not sure how to advise her. If anyone can speak from experience I'd be happy to hear it.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#2 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to Life with a Babe since it isn't a breastfeeding topic.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 PM

My EBF 4 month old is now waking up a million times per night after going stretches of 7-8 hours beforehand (she started doing super long stretches around 1 month, I think). She nurses, but I don't think it's hunger waking her up ever 1-2 hours. In fact, I'm sure it isn't. 4 months old is just a time when babies wake up a lot, I think.

So yeah, I don't think a 4 month old going 8-10 hours without eating means they are going hungry. But -- from your post it sounds like shes not going 8-10 hours anymore, anyway?

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#4 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with you, if she won't settle without a bottle then she's hungry. It's totally normal for sleep to "regress" a bit around 4mo, plus she might be going through a growth spurt and really need the extra calories.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#5 of 20 Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Yup, sounds like 4 month sleep regression to me.
#6 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
A 4 mo old shouldn't be going 8-10 hours without eating, right????
not necessarly my completely breastfed only baby (5 months) rountinuly goes from 7pm-4am and often till 6am and shes done this from just a few weeks old. Making up by being a constant daytime nurser..
However littlones go through many growth spurts and 4 months isa common one likely he just needs an extra feed when his body is ready to sleep longer it will..

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#7 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 AM

Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression. But yes, some babes can go that long without eating. Mine can't - even at 11 mos, he's up at least 3x/night for a bottle.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 AM

At 6 months we had to switch to formula.. up until then DS was definitely at the boob during the night, and certainly still at 6 moswaking up and wanting a bottle. Paci didn't do it. It wasn't *just* teething (although that was part of things, sure). He was hungry. 8hrs is a long time. I think it's perfectly natural for a babe to wake up wanting a bottle at 4months.

Comfort or nourishment, still the same thing with it being a bottle.

woohoo I'm a mommy! Lil man born 9-12-09
#9 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 AM

After STTN from about 2 weeks on, my LO (aged 5-1/2 months) is waking a lot. Though she's not formula fed, so I can't comment on that, I can tell you that she's getting very very active during the day and is moving and rolling and jerking her arms and getting up on her hands and knees in her sleep. I seem to remember this with DD1 as well; it's like she's so ready for physical milestones that her body is practicing them all night long... and waking her up in the process!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#10 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM

My formula fed child slept through the night from around 2 months until she was 6 months. Then she woke up to eat until she was around 11-12 months.
#11 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM

My little guy is a FF babe and has been since 2.5 months - he'll be 6months next week. Before, he was EBF and woke up 3 to 4 times at night. Once we went to FF, he STTN a few times, but once he became really active, he was up once or twice wanting a bottle. Now, he's SUPER active, on his knees in his crib, scooting around, learning to sit up, so his body is burning tons of calories, eventhough he eats 19-24oz during the day at daycare!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#12 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Could be a growth spurt, he could be shifting more of his calories to night eating, and yes I do think a baby can be hungry, not all babies are, but some babies definitely are, even on formula. When they do give the bottle, how much does he eat? If it is more than 1/2oz, then yeah, probably hungry, if only a little, then try a pacifier (though the probably have).

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#13 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm not sure we're understanding the question. Are you concerned because the baby is waking up and wants a bottle and her parents aren't giving it to her and that doesn't seem right? My baby is FF and he sleeps from 8pm to 4am every night, gets a bottle from daddy and sleeps until 7am. We would giving whatever he wanted whenever he woke up, so he's definitely not starving between those 8 hours. While I would love to cut out that 4am feeding and have him sleep straight through for another 3 hours, I suspect that feeding is here to stay for a long time. Just like EBF babies, they can wake for hunger feeding and comfort feeding, its hard to tell which it is I would suspect. I'd probably just give her the bottle if that's what she wants.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#14 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Well, there's an easy way to tell - if she sucks down that bottle, she's hungry! My almost 5-month old FF baby did exactly the same thing - slept through the night most of the time from 2 - 3 months, now wakes every night for a bottle about 5 hours after going to sleep, then sleeps another 5 - 6 hours before needing her morning bottle. I was reading posts on a more traditional board recently and lots of people were saying "she used to sleep 8 hours in a row so I know she can do it" in reference to the 4 month sleep regression. Dangerous logic, I think! Calorie needs grow as baby grows, so if baby hasn't changed her daytime eating, she'll start taking more at night.
#15 of 20 Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 PM

My formlula fed bay is almost 8 months and has never truly slept through the nigh. He regularly wants a bottle once or twice in the night. He's hungry.
#16 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Totally normally to need a formula bottle in the middle of the night at that age. Normal to need more than one actually.
#17 of 20 Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
My formula fed child slept through the night from around 2 months until she was 6 months. Then she woke up to eat until she was around 11-12 months.
Same here, except my 12 1/2 month old is still waking at least once a night. As soon as she's fed, she goes back down. I know she's hungry when she's waking up, and it has gotten worse since we have started transitioning her to cow milk during the daytime.

Mom to DSS D (7) , DD Elizabeth (8/09) , and expecting DC3 3/30/11
#18 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 PM

My breast fed baby slept through the night since about 1 month and now at 11weeks she sleeps about 8hours a night. Dr. said it was okay because she is gaining weight and is healthy. I guess every baby is different.

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010
#19 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM

My younger one started sttn at 4 wks old, and at that point, she was exclusively BF. At about 2 or 3 months, we were doing a mix of BF and breastmilk in a bottle, along with some formula, transitioning to all formula around 6 months. She continued to sttn 90% of the time, through the whole thing. My oldest however was FF from day one, she wasn't sttn until KINDERGARTEN.

So, it's my experience that STTN doesn't have a thing to do with formula feeding or breastfeeding. And whatever advice you give shouldn't be based on how they choose to feed the little one.

Like others have mentioned, if the baby is sucking down a bottle, he's hungry, regardless of what's in the bottle. And, at 4 months old, it's common to start waking up again in the middle of the night.
#20 of 20 Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM

If she's waking and won't settle without a bottle, then certainly she's hungry and needs to be fed.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page