Check the New Thread! - April 2010 Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poison ivy/oak only spreads from the initial oil, but it can spread really quickly and be on your clothes, under your fingernails, etc. and is 'active' until washed away, even years later. Your sores won't spread to others, and in fact it's not spread from the sores - the reaction of the oil is just delayed in less sensitve parts of your body. I am highly allergic, and would kind of freak out if my kids had it, since I've had my face swell shut, so they have my awesome genes. In fact, i just freaked out on facebook about it the other day.

If you think it IS poison ivy, have your HCP look at it, and keep an eye on it. I've had to be on steroids a few times to keep it from getting really bad, and it would be better to have your HCP on board before it's an issue. Take pictures so you can track it's movement, or draw around the current rash with sharpie. 99% of people just itch for a week and then it goes away. Lots of oatmeal baths and calamine lotion/ivy dry. pepper told me about that new medicine the other day, and I'll have to get some if/when I deal with poison ivy again.

for you guys pepper!

AFM: Arg, cramps. Totally paranoid that it's ovulation, since we were... less than careful yesterday. Good thing I bought the mega pack of pregnancy tests online the other day, so I can test to my heart's content.

And now, pictures!
Becky in one of my favorite slings
Becky is squuuuuishy
I am such a lucky mama.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#122 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

ivy, thanks. i'm so worried about charlie's spots where he might have it, so i will look at it in the morning and then call the dr. i also read on a couple of sites that it's extremely rare for infants to show a reaction. i'm really relieved to hear from one more (reliable) source that it won't spread from the spots where it already is. about the oil, most sources say to wash clothes or gear that may have the oil on it, with bleach or other caustics. what have you done about this in the past?

pepper, i looked at the site for zanfel. the QA doesn't say what it's made of. looks good though, i'm gonna see if i can get my hands on some tomorrow. thank you.

omg, just looked at the pics and videos! you guys, our beautiful babies are growing up so fast! waaaah! this is SO lame, but the only thing i can link to right now, a video my dad took at a game of our low-A baseball team last week, charlie "dancing" with daddy . rhi, LOL on the video. at first i thought the baby standing was L!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#123 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 AM

Yay Ericka!

Fingers Crossed Pepper!

So Kelsey thought that 5:30 am was a great time to wake up this morning, not so much for me, anyone want to have a talk with her?

Then later this morning while laying on her playmat she managed to get a piece of scotch tape in her mouth?!? Needless to say I had a talk with Morgan about little pieces of stuff and babies.

My cloth diapers came today, got them all washed up and ready to use tomorrow, I am excited!!

Also picked up a Peg Perego Venezia stroller off Craigslist for $30. This thing is a cadillac. I wanted to have a stroller that laid flat for naps when we are out at DD1's "far away" preschool 2 days a week and I wanted a stroller where Kelsey could face me since I can't wear her as much as I would like without lots of lingering pain. I'm loving all my new baby gear!!!

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#124 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 AM

Oh P+H I hope so much it's not poison ivy!! I know nothing as I've never had a reaction but my mom gets it bad.

Pepper sending vibes out that your dh does not lose his job. I know how horrible that place it.

AFM: Rowena screamed for an hour and a half today. I HATE that this is happening to her and I feel so guilty for doing this job. We could survive without the money but there would be no grad. applications and nothing extra. Plus if one of the cars went we'd be in trouble. Plus I just can't bail on my department but it's seriously breaking my heart that she's crying like this. H did everything he could. He had her at the pool for a while (she loves the pool) and he walked her outside. He tried to give her the bottle but she gets really ticked when we do that...it's like she can taste me and is so angry that it's coming from a bottle. Then dh said, trying to make it better, "Imagine what it's like for her...when you leave she thinks you're gone forever." I started crying. Argh. This sucks.

In positive news: H loves his job. Yay! We've got a good start to homeschooling. R is loving the ring sling I bought for her, and she consented to take a nap in the Mei Tai. She's finally rolling over, and can almost sit up her own.

Here's a few pics. I need to update soon:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=793430056

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...70&id=79343005

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c&id=793430056

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#125 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
So you ladies will appreciate this - today after Kelsey woke up from her nap I went to put her in the Beco to get some housework done. I put her in, get her strapped up, and she poops. Ok, take her out, let her lay on the changing table for a minute to make sure she is done, change her, put her back in the Beco and not 10 seconds later she poops again. Repeat the whole changing scenario again, get her strapped up for the 3rd time and.....you guessed it - she poops again! 3 diapers in 3 minutes, this kid set a new record!
This reminds me of Maya and Hannah's first night earthside. They both pooped, and Tom was fast asleep and wouldn't move, so I dragged myself out of bed to change them. Got one changed, put her back in bed, changed the other, and as I was doing so, HEARD THE FIRST POOP AGAIN. I was literally in tears. Just then the nurse came in and asked what was wrong. I blubbered something about babies diapers and poop and she told me to go back to bed and she would take care of it. I let her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
I haven't yet figured out if I'm the craziest person on earth or not, but here I am... WAHM with 5 kids, baking bread and training for a 5k. Yep, must be insane.
Well, I think it is the "one more baby right now would be ok" thing that puts you over the top. And yeah, you can have that next stool. And every one after it, as far as I am concerned. If anyone should have a gajillion kids, it is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
Jennings is breastfeeding 100% now, I do throw in 3 bottles a day for his sodium, but he doesn't rely on the bottle. Who would have though a week ago I would be exclusively bf now?
That is incredible, amazing, and the best news I have heard in a LONG time! I am so happy for you, and him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Also picked up a Peg Perego Venezia stroller off Craigslist for $30.
Dang, girl. I thought I was the queen of the CL stroller buys, but that is AMAZING!

Ginger, so glad H likes his job! That helps a lot. I don't suppose you could lecture with R in a sling? I am sure you have already thought of that, but just was wondering... Hopefully this will pass soon! Could you make bm ice cubes for her to play with, or bm mush to push around with a spoon? Would that be a way for H to distract her?

Pepper, praying for your dh and his job. Tom hasn't worked in a month. Its not pretty.

Well, we got the condo rented. Interestingly, the first guy decided he wanted it after all. Anyway, its done. It will make enough to make payments on our medical bills, which is what is putting our budget over the edge right now, and we will stop losing money on the place. Phew. We also sorted everything else that was there while we were there yesterday. Tom came with me and was a huge help, so it was a lot easier than if I had to do it by myself.

Ok, must get back to work. Promised this project to my client today, and there isn't much of today left.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#126 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 AM

OMG. So tired.

So, yesterday I finally started reading Twilight after much pressure from a friend. I decided that I was going to get DH to entertain the baby for an hour while I read, because I hadn't had any me time in a very very long while.

It seemed like a great idea. But then it was 9:00 and I hadn't showered, made lunch, or gotten bottles together. Then I realized I hadn't boiled the bottled I just bought (does anybody not do this? i mean, really, couldn't I just wash new bottles with soap and water?). So I boiled the bottles. By that point it had somehow become 10:15. And L was already starting to stir in the connecta on DH, so he said he was going to have to bring her to me soon. I got in bed (without a shower) and immediately heard her fussing. So I didn't even get my normal 15-45 of rest without her on top of me.

Then at 5:00 this morning she starts flip flopping all over me. One boob, then the other, then flops over to her back, then back to my boob, then the other boob, then she sits up (because she has learned how to go from being on her back on me to sitting up... joy), then lather, rinse, repeat.

At 5:30 I wake DH up to change her diaper, thinking maybe that's the issue. Nope, still flopping around. At about 5:45 DH gets up and takes her to the living room and puts her in the swing and he lies down on the couch (I can't sleep on the couch, the pet hair makes me sneeze). A few minutes later I hear her fussing in the swing (and usually in the morning that's our go-to trick if she's being a rough sleeper- the swing always works in the morning!). So I go get her and take her back to bed.

Still flip flopping. I turn the mobile on and put her in the nap nanny. That entertained her. I was *almost* asleep when she started crying. Pulled her back out and tried again.

Finally I just got the heck out of bed, put her in the swing (figuring that if she started to cry loudly enough DH would wake up), and went and took a shower.

I get out of the shower and she's completely passed out in the swing.

Grrrrrr. She'd probably sleep there for hours if I could just go back to bed! But no, in a few minutes I'll have to wake her up to take her to daycare.

I'm not going to be a fun person to be around today.

Maybe I jumped back in to dairy too fast? Teething? Late to the four month sleep regression party? I have no idea. But I hope it was an isolated incident.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#127 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM

Sprout was nearly dry again this morning!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#128 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM

Just real quick, DH got told this morning that he is staying and he doesn't even have to leave his group. He works in plastics and it's the most coveted group in the plant. Also, he is scaring me a bit by not pulling out then later slyly grinning and saying "tomorrow the three of you, no wait maybe the four of you..." and laughing. Uh not ready to win that stool just yet, I have Ada to nurse for a least a year!!!!
I'll be back to look at pictures and everything!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#129 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Pepper! That's great! (The job, not the birth stool )

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#130 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Pepper, I am SO happy for you guys!!! That is phenomenal news!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#131 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

soooo glad for you guys, pepper! you'd better keep that boy in line!

#132 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Thanks everyone!

P+H I have no idea what the Zanfel is made of either, but in desperation I was willing to try anything and it's like instant itching relief! It's really expensive though.

Rhi, I hope that night of sleep was an isolated incident.

Aaah Ada is starting to fuss, which means she's peeing in the exersaucer most likely. My breakfast time on the computer is already up, I spent the whole time reading the thread.

I love seeing everyone's pictures! Here is Ada the other day.
In the clover.
In the basket I was using for the photo shoot, she was tagging along.
Cracking up.
And just for fun, Hipstamatic...

She's lost a lot of her baby fat, like the huge cheeks. Sad! She's growing so big. She's 15.2 pounds and 26 inches, which isn't that huge...yet she seems bigger than other babies. I don't know.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#133 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM

Oh GTG, I can't see your middle picture. R has lovely hair! Ada is so bald in comparison.

#134 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Erick - hooray!!
Pepper - good luck/ good vibes... and thanks for the EC'ing tips. I've not been doing anything like that, but then the other day I thought "hmm, twice now when I go pee while holding the baby and the tub is filling up for bathtime, she's peed on me. I wonder..." and held her over the toilet, and she enough, she peed! I can usually tell when she's going to poop in the morning but am too lazy to get up in time... Maybe I will start experimenting a little, sounds like it doesn't have to be as strict as I thought! And I'm thinking she does the "fussing to wake up cause she has to pee" thing in the mornings, too, cause there's always the smell of pee right after and the diaper is always WAY soaked.

Jen - I am always starving these days and I make a TON of milk (seriously, I know I should be/ am grateful, but it is also exhausting and frustrating to still be making so much. I think it is taking a lot out of me - weight, yes, but also energy and brains!). So probably now that your lactation is back on track, making that milk is burning up more calories. I remember a friend who makes a lot of milk too talking about how nursing made her so hungry that she found it annoying to eat. This was when I was 7 months pregnant and so so hungry all of the time, so I was like, "what? Who hates having to eat?!" but now I totally get it. I'm hungry but tired and busy with baby and eating can be a chore, esp. when I'm hungry at the 4am feeding!
I'm serial posting and responding to everything while NAK.

I keep the potty next to the bed so I don't have to get up! I just reach down and grab it and plop her on it.

I accidentally made Ada pee the other day with running water, hah. When she's peeing I usually cue her with a psssss sound, I guess the running water sounds similar.

The other day DD1 was learning the sound letter S makes and she said, "Mom I can't make the S sound because every time I do it will make Baby Ada peepee!"

#135 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

serial posting... charlie's skin looks better this morning, so i'm hoping it was something else (don't know what it could have been though). it's really inconvenient having this as a mom! i have to bind up everything or it will chafe and itch. so my arms are all wrapped up, looking more like mummy than mommie right now.

i'm so going out to get zanfel this morning - no time for pride these days

greentea, more sss

#136 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Yay Pepper!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Ginger.....

I think I've figured out the method to Kelsey's sleep deprivation torture routine. She alternates every other night - one night awake for hours, the next night she'll stay asleep but only if latched on the entire time and still wakes about every hour to relatch, switch sides, etc.

She totally farts herself awake which is cute, only it's so NOT. I wonder if I give mylicon at bedtime will it still work at 4 am? It's worth a try I guess...

She's wearing her 1st CD right now!

#137 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 AM

P+H: sorry to hear about your rash, hope it feels better. thanks for the welcome, I'm already in the opening post. Even though I don't know you all yet, from reading all the posts you all seem like a pretty hilarious bunch I must say:-)

Lucy is a chubby 16 pounds 8 ounces. 26 inches long. I guess all the BM is doing the trick. It is so amazing to me that she can grown so big so fast with her only source of nourishment being my milk. Yay for nature!

I think we're still a ways from solids here. She looks at me while I'm eating, and follows my food but I think its more just the movement that intrigues her. Its ok by me though cause I'm in no rush to start the solids thing yet. I feel like as soon as a feel like I'm getting my stride with one thing, she's already on to the next- growing up happens way to quickly.

I'm thinking about doing BLW but don't know much about it. can anyone point me to some resources?
#138 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM

p&h - i'll be happy to take the cake as long as its not in the shape of a birthing stool! LOL

rhi - mine loves the freezy ring too.

send BM cubes to the sitter today - i think it will work. dang it - reminds me i have to send my DCP the BM storage guidelines. She's rusty since her last was 3 when she gave him up to preschool so its been a long time since she's had to give BM to a baby.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#139 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM

Just submitted article contribution regarding home births that don't go according to plan. So, we'll see what happens now!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#140 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM

I just looked down at DD, sitting next to me propped up on the couch, and she had both hands extended with the pointer fingers out. Total disco girl over here! Haha, she's always got those pointers pointed, trying to get them in her mouth, but forgetting to lift them to her face...

Rhi, that sucks, I'm sorry! We've been going through a wiggle phase for weeks, but S has always been super wiggly so hopefully L will calm down soon. It drives me crazy not knowing how long it's going to go on for! S is now back to sleeping 2-4 hour chunks, although last night she woke me up every 2 hours. So I nursed her almost every time, and then she had to wake up at 6 to make huge poops happen. Groan. So I'm gonna try nursing her less, I know that she's hungry once in the night but definitely not every 2 hours.

Also, I got those foam tile things for the ground so she can practice her (lately non-existent) rolling, and as soon as I opened them up I realized, OH. The cats are going to shred these in one second! Drat...
#141 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM

Hello, all!

I'm transferring over from the April 2010 thread. Here's my information:

TreefrogNYC, Benjamin Zephyr, 4.24.10

Born at home after 7 IUIs and one m/c (3.6.09) -- husband, midwife, midwife's assistant, doula, and two cats in attendance!

Welcome to Benjamin Zephyr, born at home with love on April 24, 2010!
#142 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM

TreeFrogNYC: Hey! Welcome back. How are things going?

Pepper: Yay!!! So glad dh got to keep his job. And yes R has a ton of hair but actually less than her two sister had. Scary!

In our big news for the day, R sat up without leaning on her hands! Full upright and playing! Now she can't hold it for long when she's playing but she loves it. She also drank some water from her sippy cup. I'm hoping that we'll see a turn around soon and how she's acting with dh.

Dena: I would totally teach with her in the sling but dh is afraid I"m going to get in trouble. He thinks the students will comment and complain and that word with get back to our department. The professor who is in charge of the undergraduate studies is out to get me for reasons I can not fathom. I think its because I don't kiss up to him, and when I asked for the job I went to our department head instead of him (although he is NOT in charge of the classes I teach). Plus he's super sexist and was one of the professors who made comments about me being pregnant. If she doesn't calm down soon though I will take her and just risk getting in trouble. I just can't let her cry that much.

My plan today is to have dh stay on campus while I teach. I'm going to nurse her and then try to sit in the class I wanted to take. The prof said I could bring so I'll try it. If she's disruptive, I'll leave and just write off the class. We'll do the same on Thursday when I have office hours.

Mama to Umberto 12, Camille, 9, Piper 7, Rowena 2, and Jude Therese Prenatal DS diagnosis due December 23.

#143 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi all! Thank you, Panera Bread, for your free WiFi. I wish I could buy coffee from you.

Anyway, what a nice new thread! Pepper, great news about your husband's job-- hooray! P&H-- I hope all is well with the poison ivy, and what good news about the medical bills! Erica-- WOOHOO, Jennings is nursing! I saw that on FB and wondered how things were going. Yay Jennings!

We're well. It's hot here. DS is definitely getting some teeth, but they're coming slllooowwwlly. He wants to nurse, but it hurts him to nurse, but maybe it makes him feel better to nurse... he just don't know what we wants. Teething tablets seem to help. He conks out soon after taking them....(?) Maybe it's just the distraction of the sweetness.

Solids: I have let him suck on a piece of cold cantaloupe I was eating because it seemed to help his teeth, and he grabbed my hand holding an apple and gnawed on the core with great enthusiasm. Otherwise, I have no interest at all in starting. Rhi, it sounds like it will be fun, but in a few years, she will be stealing the best bits from your plate. Hold off as long as possible

I love my in-laws, but my MIL frequently gives me advice from "Dr. Tanner," my BIL's pediatrician 20 years ago. Why, MIL? He was a big advocate of CIO, and my MIL totally followed his "prescription" to let my BIL CIO at night at 6 months.... at the same time that he told MIL to start giving him solids because he wasn't nursing enough. Craziness. Anyway, MIL was suggesting solids for DS today on Dr. Tanner's 20 year old advice.

My darling daughter is such a handful, but goodness, she is so sweet. Her favorite movie right now is Pride and Prejudice. She said to me yesterday, "Mommy, you know, that Lydia, she made a BAD choice marrying Wickham. When I grow up, I will make good choices and only marry a GOOD man." I was so proud I can't believe we're already watching Pride and Prejudice together. Happiness.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#144 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM

I've noticed that a lot of people who delay solids 'til 6 months still do things like give apple cores to chew on, etc. Does this not count somehow? Do you consider it more of a chew toy, than anything else?

I sooo don't mean that in a snarky way. I'm really curious what counts as "solids"

#145 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Hey, sorry I suck so bad at keeping up. It's September, I'm crazy busy. I'll be back Octoberish more regularly, I hope.

JENNINGS IS NURSING???????

All is well here.

ETA: I consider ALL solids before 12mo "chew toys" but I don't give my babes anything until they take it off my plate.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#146 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Mercy today!

#147 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM

Dena -- So happy the condo is rented and off your mind!

Pepper -- How does Ada weigh pretty much the same as Sprout yet look SO MUCH squishier?

snoopy -- Yea for new cloth diapers!

ebbb -- Everything I know about BLW I learned from Drs Google and MDC. But here's a good intro article: http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/1078...king_baby_food

lnf -- Where'd you submit the article to? Mothering? In any event, good luck! And if you put it somewhere online, I'd love to read it!

Jess -- We haven't had any trouble with the cats and foam squares, but maybe you could just tuck them away when S isn't on them?

treefrognyc -- Hi!

GTG -- Good luck with R and class today....

MPP -- Glad to hear things are well! You're missed around here.

sme -- Good luck with the crazy, and we'll be looking for you come October!

AFM -- We did a Disney day today, now that the crowds are waaaaay down. Ah. It's so nice to have our parks back. Sprout did just ok -- he doesn't nap really well in the carrier, so he just got 3 short and ill-timed naps. He seems to nap just enough to not be exhausted anymore when he's in the carrier and takes really good naps in the crib, whereas Nugget was vice versa (see difference re: treated/untreated reflux). But it all came together in the end and we had a decent day. It was mostly just a test-run to see how things are likely going to work once fall gets here and we're going out and about more often.

Oh! Sprout loved to meet the characters. Minnie's nose was a point of interest, as were Pluto's whiskers. DH got some great pics.

#148 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Jen, Disney sounds like a lot of fun when there are less people around! I'll post a link as soon as the article goes live. A writer from a website posted on the Traumatic Home Birth thread in Birth Trauma (her post has since been deleted) asking for women who wanted to share their stories of home births that did not go according to plan. I felt like I had to share my story because it does really show that home birth is safe *as long as you have a highly skilled midwife.* We had serious serious complications, but were safe because our MW knew what she was doing.

#149 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM

Oh goodness, I need help with all this cloth diapering stuff!
Today went pretty well, she wore a prefold and cover, a fuzzibunz, a Thirsties Duo and a Bum Genius all in one. After I took of the Bum Genius, I noticed she had a little rash around her vagina - a bunch of little red bumps. She was only in the diaper about an hour and only peed in it.
I'm doing the cloth diaper trial from Jillian's Drawers and the info said specifically NOT to use Free and Clear detergents which is what we have at home (All Free and Clear). So instead I used a sample pack of Tide I happened to have in the house. So is the rash from the detergent or the diaper? On the Jillian's website it recommends Tide, but every other site says not to use Tide? And other sites say All Free and Clear is ok?? So which is it? There is a place locally here that sells Country Save so I'm going to buy that tomorrow and use it instead. But do I have to strip the diapers now? Or just rewash in Country Save? Or is it just the material inside the BumGenius diaper?
Aahh!

#150 of 255 Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Snoopy- I think it could be either one. I'd leave the BGs off of her, and see if the rash gets worse with a different diaper. Then you could guess it's the detergent. I have heard of babies having reactions to the microfiber or whatever in the BGs. If the rash clears up, and you put the BG back on her and it comes back, then you can guess it's the BG.

I use All Free and Clear. It's not the best choice, but it's what we have. There's a website somewhere that lays out what's best. I don't have the link handy, but I bet you can google for it.

I have had an allergic reaction (which sounds very much like what you're describing... i had tons of little itchy dots under my pubes) to the Tide HE detergent (the non-free and clear kind...the free and clear was okay)

ETA: I don't think you need to strip them as long as they're absorbing well. But after you wash them next time (if you decide it is the detergent and switch) maybe do a couple of extra rinses to be sure all of the old detergent is out?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page