Check the New Thread! - April 2010 Mamas - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post
okay seriously, we have to meet up. we were at AK yesterday! only for a few hours, but yes it was so nice because it was not crowded at all!
PM me your number, because it occurred to me to try to meet you down there the other day but I couldn't drive and MDC at the same time.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM

getting ready for another scorcher until the cold front and earl move through.

just finished pumping and am in that 10 min nexus until my next meeting & waitin til the bathroom is free to wash my pump stuff. finally got a computer at work and have been transferring files - yay!

dani has been teething like crazy and her canine has been right there for weeks now and its STILL not poking through the skin. IDK when its going to come through, except that her brother got his first at 5.5 mo?

oh - i was driving into work today thinking about dani kisses those big wide mouth slobbers. if she kisses my chin though it totally turns into trying to teethe on my chin - oh yay! lol

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM

Two more cloth diaper questions
Poop - I washed the diapers last night (cold rinse, hot wash, 2 rinses) and the poopy diapers came out with poopy stains on them. Are they clean but just stained? Are stained diapers just how it is? Or am I doing something wrong/is there a way to get the stains out?

Sizing - Should I be concerned that Kelsey is already on the biggest size in the one size diapers? I don't have to snap them down at all, is this normal at 4 months, she is around 17 lbs. Does this mean she'll grow out of the one size diapers before she potty trains?

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Two more cloth diaper questions
Poop - I washed the diapers last night (cold rinse, hot wash, 2 rinses) and the poopy diapers came out with poopy stains on them. Are they clean but just stained? Are stained diapers just how it is? Or am I doing something wrong/is there a way to get the stains out?

Sizing - Should I be concerned that Kelsey is already on the biggest size in the one size diapers? I don't have to snap them down at all, is this normal at 4 months, she is around 17 lbs. Does this mean she'll grow out of the one size diapers before she potty trains?
Some people say stained equals not clean, some people say stains are just how it is. You can probably lay them out in the sun to get rid of the stains. Mine mostly have at least very slight staining.

I have a friend who said her son was in the highest rise pretty early, but he's still wearing them now at over 18 months.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
oops...mine are all stained

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Mine stain, and then once a month or so I sun them. I really don't care about the stains, but they gross out DH. I rocking green detergent. We have the watermelon scent. Mmm. And Becky is in the highest rise of her diapers, but has a couple waist snaps to go. Tthey change shape a lot in the next 6 months, so how they fit now isn't really representive.

Phone typing is hard!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM

I am officially off running, because I screwed up my knee. This lead me to hit up Dr. Google, and I'm starting to think I might have something called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. It impacts how your body deals with collagen.

I have very very hypermobile joints, to the point where the small bones in my hands will get slightly out of place even. And my skin is elastic enough that after 9 pregnancies and 5 births (including 10 and 11 lb infants), I'm still just about flat stomached at 3 1/2 months post partum. I expect to have zero sag within the month. I get low BP with compensatory higher heart rate, have difficulty maintaining body temperature, and evidently fast births are associated as well.

In which case, I think I'm sticking to the elliptical. No impact, but still cardio benefits. Probably a smarter choice for me.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM

For some reason, DD's poop didn't stain the diapers, but Sprout's does.

lnf -- I'm sorry to hear that! Oh, well, now I don't have to keep up with you....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaGinger61 View Post
TreeFrogNYC: Hey! Welcome back. How are things going?
Hi! Things are going really well, despite a little sleep regression. (Zzzzzzz.)

Great news about the sippy cup! Ben is fascinated by whatever we're drinking, so I bought him his own plastic cup to pretend to drink. Right now he just likes holding it (and dropping it!).

He loves to look at letters, too. Magazines, books, T-shirts, signs outside. He gets all excited and kicks his legs.

We've got some progression with sitting up (in a tripod, with hands on the ground), but he still topples sometimes.

And he "talks" constantly! It's really hysterical to listen to. If my hubby and I get chatting and don't pay attention to him, he starts "talking" louder and even shouts. What a goofball.

How are everyone else's LOs doing?

Welcome to Benjamin Zephyr, born at home with love on April 24, 2010!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Jen

I'm taking Merce in for her 4 month appt tomorrow. Excited to see how much she weighs!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Dear Maya,

You can suck on your fingers, or you can suck on my boob. You cannot, however, suck on both at once. It hurts, and you don't get as much milk. Please stop.

Love,
Mama
Hilarious. Ben does this, too!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

stains: charlie's poopy diapers stain, but smell completely clean. i sun them every time i was them, if it's sunny . 15 minutes takes out the stain completely, then i finish them in the dryer so they aren't rough.

baby update: charlie is STILL not rolling, but likes to with help. he seems to get it, but just isn't interested in doing it himself. i'm not worried, but have started working with him, putting toys out of reach for a few minutes a day during floor time, and helping him roll to them. he's so content to stare at things still...

he can sit unassisted for about a minute, but definitely leaned forward. he's started using his hands to hold himself up, but it's not long before he leeeeeaaans forward so far his nose is touching his toes . then he usually falls to the side.

his fine motor skills seem to be developing, he is using his fingers to stroke and pick at fabrics in a more deliberate way, not just a whole hand grab.

big talker here too, open mouth sounds, but he has a lot of interest in making consonants lately. he's lost the breathy tiny baby voice (except when he's sleepy) and has more of a punch behind his vocalizations.

such a happy baby, he just fell asleep in dad's arms while we were out at lunch, with no encouragement from us. he's due to eat, i'm weighing whether to let him nap in his carseat now that we're home or get him out, feed him, and maybe get a longer nap?

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM

This might be a dumb question, as probably anything will work, but, any recommendations on baby spoons/ bowls/ plates/ dishes? I'm starting to think about feeding her foods (not now, but soon - crazy!) and although most of it'll probably be just finger food/ chew toy stuff for quite awhile, I'm wondering about letting her play with a spoon now, just for fun.
Oh, I guess I need to ask about high chairs too! Anyone have their LO in one now? We have the Bumbo but she's not quite ready for sitting in a highchair. But, again, soon! She's given up on rolling and is just trying to crawl and stand up
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Ugh, can I just whine for a(nother) minute? I'm trying and trying to get some work done (I work from my home office) and the babysitter can't get the babe to sleep so she's screaming (the baby, not the sitter) and it's too hot out for her to take her for a walk... so I'm sitting here trying to work and trying not to run in there and take the baby. Phew! I keep going in to help calm her down but I know I just need to let them find their own way. But... this sucks!

How do daycare providers do it?! I can't imagine more than one screaming baby/ kid refusing to nap
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Ugh, can I just whine for a(nother) minute? I'm trying and trying to get some work done (I work from my home office) and the babysitter can't get the babe to sleep so she's screaming (the baby, not the sitter) and it's too hot out for her to take her for a walk... so I'm sitting here trying to work and trying not to run in there and take the baby. Phew! I keep going in to help calm her down but I know I just need to let them find their own way. But... this sucks!

How do daycare providers do it?! I can't imagine more than one screaming baby/ kid refusing to nap
This happened to me, too. I work from home as a writer, so it was excruciating.

One thing you might have her try is to put on music with a good beat (Bob Marley works well for most babies) and dance her around in her arms. It worked really well for Ben, especially when I got the nanny to do a little dip/drop motion on each side.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM

LNF - hmm - that sounds a bit like me - the hypermobility & dislocation... KUP on the E-D thing when you see the doc.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Jess-

We have this booster
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...duct&pid=27475

It just came a couple days ago, and we tried it out for the first time last night. She can sit in it fine, though she did end up tilted slightly to the side by the end of dinner (but she seemed to like it like that). I let her play with a big plush book, a paci, and a freezy teething ring thing, and she stayed happy throughout dinner, though I did have to keep handing stuff back to her.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM

This is so weird. DH took both the kids out of the house; I guess he left around 1:30pm. It's now nearly 4pm. I've had the house to myself the whole time! I've had so many projects on my to-do list causing me stress, and I was able to just blast through a bunch of them. Now I'm sitting here, not wanting to start anything because (A) I'm tired and (B) I keep expecting them to walk through the door any minute.

DH took milk and a sippy.... I wonder if he gave it/Sprout took it?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM

treefrog, thanks for the commiseration. I did finally go in there and nurse her a little (though she spit the milk out, cause she just wants to suck!), and reminded the sitter that motion and sucking is how the babe falls asleep at this point in her life. she's really really good about taking her on long walks and singing/ dancing with her, and just holding and rocking the baby till she falls asleep. I think it's hard for me because while the baby does sometimes have to cry to fall asleep with DH or my mom or the sitter, that's when I'm not here, typically. she doesn't usually cry to sleep with me because I can let her suckle or something.

rhiorion, that looks cool! and not pricey, either. my parents have a 1976 bicentennial highchair that they've been saving, from when my sister was born. not sure how safe that's gonna be! funny family heirlooms.

the sad part is, we have the worst dining room chairs, so we're going to finally need to get some good/ real chairs before I get that little booster. looks so fun though! S doesn't like the freezy stuff yet, whenever I give her cold things she just looks at me like, why would you give me something so disgusting? even though it's hot hot hot out.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Jen, get some cookies, some tea and light a candle somewhere because you deserve a break!

Jess: I am a lazy mom who holds the baby while feeding him/her, and I don't give food until I can give table foods and let them eat it from my fingers.

Carita: I think I'm going to say that I think EDS seems like a good diagnostic fit overall, but that I'm not at the point where I feel the need to get a diagnosis. It's something I want to explore down the line, but right now I don't think it's worth the effort. I want it documented that I brought it up though, because if this is what's going on, my kids have a 50% chance of having it, and EDS can present with bruises that look like child abuse.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM

High chairs - we used boosters with both of our older girls, and are planning to do the same with the babies. Much cheaper than a high chair, and allows them to join us at the table, too.

Spoons/forks - I usually get the take n' toss plastic ones at Target. They are BPA free plastic, and when they get icky, we just recycle them. Plus they are like $3 for six. I know some people get fancy little wooden spoons for their kids, but I think they are awkward, and don't get used that much anyway. I actually like the plastic over metal because it is quieter on the table/plates. We also have some plastic plates from Ikea that are great when they are just starting out and like to throw stuff. When they stop throwing stuff we just graduate them to the stuff we use.

One other thing we have really liked having was a mesh feeder. It is great for frozen cubes of food, as it has a handle they can hold onto so their fingers don't get cold. I know a lot of moms who have put bm ice cubes in them for their babes while teething.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 PM

lnf: haha, and to me i'm lazy b/c i don't want to hold her while i eat!!

jess: my uncle was asking if he should restore the portacrib that my family used forever. he said that some of the grandchildren (my gen) used it and my mom and aunts. luckily my aunt (his wife) chimed in that my GRANNY had actually slept in it as a baby, and she was sure it wouldn't pass safety procautions. i do wonder how bad shape it's in- it would make a fun photo op.

eta: we have a mesh feeder but L wasn't interested in frozen milk. but she was also already pissed, so maybe in a better mood she'd be interested

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 PM

I tried some of my defrosted milk from July that I tried to give Anna in a sippy and it was gross. Tasted sour, like how her spit up smells. The other times I've tasted my milk it tasted just like the milk after some sweet cereal. DH bought the graco my ride 65 car seat today so I'm excited to try it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew_crafty_girl View Post
I tried some of my defrosted milk from July that I tried to give Anna in a sippy and it was gross. Tasted sour, like how her spit up smells. The other times I've tasted my milk it tasted just like the milk after some sweet cereal. DH bought the graco my ride 65 car seat today so I'm excited to try it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't say enough good things about this seat. The only one J could come home from NICU in

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Hi to Jenica, Treefrog, MMP and Ebbb.

P+H - so glad to hear about the job

GTG - Yay for babies in classes. (good babies)

Diapers - I've been having a diaper smell problem here, too. I did some reading and some folks recommended ignoring the "wee little bit of detergent" rule and going with a normal amount. It seems to have helped. I shoudl really dry them in the sun, but I always forget and they get left out too long. Or I don't do laundry soon enough and I need them dry NOW. I ignore the stains unless they're heavy, then I sun them out. Works like a charm.

Teething - I totally sure T is teething again. Just like last time. Only last time I didn't know what the signs were. And I still can't see any teeth anywhere. With the other 2 I couldn't see or feel them until they had just broken through.

Food - We let T "chew" on a carrot today because it felt really good on his gums apparently.

He's still pretty whiny and doesn'twant to be put down. I assume because of hte teething. He's also sleeping terribly again, but at least now I know why and I know he'll go back to "normal" at some point.

We're supposed to go to the Outer Banks this Sunday for a week, but I don't know if Earl is going to squash the area or not. I got T a UV swimsuit and Badger sunscreen and a floaty (house has a pool) and everything. So excited! (Please don't ruin my fun, Earl!) My brother is coming to stay at the house and cuddle the kitties so we don't have a repeat of what happened when we went to Barbados (sick kitty peed everywhere and ruined a carpet)

T rolled really early but he's not even a little bit interested in sitting. Everyone keeps telling me that 4 months is way too early, but a lot of your kids are doing it... I just cant wait for that cuteness

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Rhi and Jess, we have that same booster seat. Love it! It folds down so you can take it to restaurants when your DD's are older. That way you can sit it on a chair/in a booth, and your DD can make a huge food mess on the tray with no worries. Then put the green lid on the tray, take it home, and stick it in the dishwasher. Genius! The bottom even adjusts so you can keep using it as your child grows. My four year old can still sit in it on the lowest setting, though she doesn't need it anymore.

Ada can already sit in that seat, we tried it the other day just for fun. We also got one of those bath seats that suctions to the bottom of the tub and Ada really loved taking a bath with Rosie this morning. She cried for a second at first, then realized it was exciting.

Stained diapers
--I've found that if I soak in cold water with a splash of vinegar over night or for at least 2-3 hours then they don't stain. Ada hardly ever poops in a diaper though, maybe once a month by accident. We are really loving EC over here. Jen, we also only use a few diapers a day when I'm paying attention!

It's funny hear all of the differences in babies. Ada can roll both ways, but doesn't bother anymore. She'd rather sit up and she's starting to want to crawl and stand. She's very much into reaching (lunging dangerously!) and grabbing, and also pinching. When she's sitting in your lap she flaps her arms and bounces herself, then she scoots down. I have a feeling she will be mobile and after DD1's toys ASAP.

She is very quiet and observant, though she does occasionally cry "mum mum mummmm" and squeal and giggle. She loves to sit outside in her bumbo seat or in my lap and watch our chickens, and she's sooo quiet and enthralled. It's funny, she and I can sit out there together and watch them for like an hour in just peaceful silence. Rosie (DD1) was always loud and demanding, haha. She was not quiet and observant at all. Makes me wonder how Ada will be as a toddler and preschooler since she is so different.

Aaand she's waking up. I was able to leave her asleep in bed for about 20 minutes. Oh well, I need to go sniff her head anyway.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Rhi and Jess, We also got one of those bath seats that suctions to the bottom of the tub and Ada really loved taking a bath with Rosie this morning. She cried for a second at first, then realized it was exciting.
I've never hear of a suctioning bath seat I need to check that out. Leyla had the Puj tub which I LOVED but she is really getting too big for it. Her legs stick straight up in the air and her heads over the top lip. I tried her in the blow up tub but she's not sitting well enough yet for that and it was a pain. I could use my summer infant bath chair but then she can't splash around because she's too hight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
It's funny hear all of the differences in babies. Ada can roll both ways, but doesn't bother anymore. She'd rather sit up and she's starting to want to crawl and stand. She's very much into reaching (lunging dangerously!) and grabbing, and also pinching. When she's sitting in your lap she flaps her arms and bounces herself, then she scoots down. I have a feeling she will be mobile and after DD1's toys ASAP.

She is very quiet and observant, though she does occasionally cry "mum mum mummmm" and squeal and giggle. She loves to sit outside in her bumbo seat or in my lap and watch our chickens, and she's sooo quiet and enthralled. It's funny, she and I can sit out there together and watch them for like an hour in just peaceful silence. Rosie (DD1) was always loud and demanding, haha. She was not quiet and observant at all. Makes me wonder how Ada will be as a toddler and preschooler since she is so different.

Aaand she's waking up. I was able to leave her asleep in bed for about 20 minutes. Oh well, I need to go sniff her head anyway.
Leyla loves our chickens too! I put her in the carrier and we go let out the "crazy chickens" together every morning. Enthralled is the perfect word to describe her interest in them too. I think it's all the jerky movements chickens make, they are so entertaining for babies.

I've concluded that Leyla is a little lazy. She first rolled over right at 2 months but she hardly ever does it unless she's in bed and wants to nurse. When it's play time and she wants to go from back to stomach or vice versa she just cries until momma flips her. Lazy girl.

She's also doing the tripod sit. She can stay that for a while if she doesn't sabotage herself by reaching for a toy and knocking herself over.

Her favorite thing to do is stand up. She holds my fingers for balance and just looks around. She's been bearing her own weight since she was four weeks. I kept telling everyone that she was bruising my ribs with her kicks in the womb and everyone thought I was exaggerating. Not anymore. Kid's gonna be a soccer player or something.

I let her gnaw on a dried apricot tonight and she loved it. I was going to just let her taste it but she screamed when I pulled it away so then I was stuck holding the thing for 10 minutes. I need to break out the mesh feeder next time.

She's sleeping next to me in her swing right now and looks so sweet I just want to squish her. She's totally sleeping right next to me tonight and if any of my family tells me again that I'm spoiling her they can kiss my you know what. I had to leave her for 2 hours today and I felt like I was away two days. I feel for you mommies who have to work away from home

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 AM

we've also got the fisher price booster. DD sits in it now at mealtimes and throws toys to the floor. I got her a sippy the other day and it is hilarious to watch her try to get it in her mouth, she tries sooo hard! There is no way I could eat with her in my lap, unless I ate everything with my left hand while dodging a baby trying to grab everything on my plate, so into the booster she goes!
As for silverware, we've got a mish mash of kids silverware that we got as gifts and a ton of melamine plates and bowls that my oldest uses, but babies don't use plates or bowls for a long time, so no worries there.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 AM

I have the fisher price booster as well, but we do have a space saver high chair that just sits on the chair as well http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...bnail&pcat=bgh

So we are going to try camping again. I am down to pumping 3x a day, so I feel it should be a bit easier. I guess we'll see.

jennings can roll from his stomach to his back and that's it. He is getting better at holding his head up though. He can't sit at all, struggles in things like the bumbo or the high chair. He is getting better at being in the jumper though. He does grab for toys now and bats at them, but doesn't really bring them to his mouth. He just started grabbing his feet.....I think that's about it.
I can't believe he will be 7 months next week? Time goes so fast, it's amazing. No teeth, but he drools NON STOP. I'd say he is about 12lbs now and maybe 25"?

as far as utensils and dishes...I have everything from Campbell. I second the take n toss...no worries if it needs to be thrown out or if they get lost.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM

So we're facing the tough decision about moving Sprout out of our room. We don't co-sleep, but his crib is right past the foot of our bed which is nice and convienent for night wakings. Unfortunately, our master bedroom is where we keep our homeschool materials; Nugget is going to start up on Monday and her work time will be during his morning nap.

We're thinking of trying a camping mat or something on the floor of his eventual-room for him to sleep on, but I'm not sure he'll get that as a "sleeping spot" (he usually goes down for a nap awake). But he'll move to his room permanently soon enough, so maybe now's the time to move him. He's finally out of the sleep regression so I wouldn't have to walk down the hall too much....

It's just a hard call to make. It's a sign of him growing up.

User Tag List