In the PICU with a skull fracture..and its totally my fault. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 09-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Accidents happen.

When I was four months old, my Mother put me in my baby seat and set the baby seat on the kitchen table, while she went to go warm up my bottle. She strapped me in, but she didn't realize that crying baby=rocking baby seat. My baby seat rocked closer and closer to the edge of the table, and then fell off, with me landing head first, with the baby seat on top of me. I had a cracked skull and some kind of brain bleeding (can't remember what it was called). I spent a couple days in ICU, and I've been fine, ever since- no permanent damage, no learning disabilities (in fact, I'm supposedly gifted). Accidents happen. Most the time, they turn out okay, just scare the parents half to death.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 69 Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post
You know, the funny thing is, I almost always wear her in the sling when we are out, but I was just running in for 5-6 items and she was sleeping, so I figured it would be nice for her to be able to stay asleep. No more carts and carseats for me! My Moby is calling my name.

Thanks again everyone!

Another "Accidents happen" here: DH took a fall while wearing DS in a Kelty backpack while we were hiking in Ireland. He could have landed with all his 220 pounds on top of DS against a stone ledge -- fortunately he managed to twist around as he fell and just banged himself up instead. DS was asleep under the rain hood and didn't even wake up!

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#63 of 69 Old 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM

I once tripped while babywearing my daughter. She smashed forehead-first onto the concrete. Luckily, I was able to twist my body a bit so that my full weight didn't come down on top of her. In that situation, she probably would have been safer just free-falling. Or, ya know, if I had put her in a stroller.

OP, I'm glad your daughter is doing fine. My daughter had to have a CT scan at 15 months (she is missing a nerve in her left eye, but, we didn't know at the time, and the docs wanted to rule out a tumor - anyway), and she's perfectly fine. It is definitely better to be safe than sorry. I wish her a speedy recovery, and, be gentle with yourself. It could have happened to any of us
#64 of 69 Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 PM

to katheek.

A baby can get hurt in a sling, a wrap, a car seat, cart or in arms. Accidents happen and that's why they're called accidents.

I hope your baby is okay. Sending tons of good thoughts your way.
#65 of 69 Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 PM

I once fell while baby wearing too. We had a newspaper route and I was wearing 8 week old dd in the moby. Someone apparently had string tied between two stakes, but in the dark I couldn't see the string and fell right over it flat on my face and onto dd. Luckily we landed in the grass and dd was nothing but startled. I felt horrible thinking what could have happened.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#66 of 69 Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 AM

hugs.

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#67 of 69 Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 AM

I also once fell while babywearing. Luckily it *was* into a puddle, which was the softest spot on the asphalt road. Granted, that was not from as high as from a seat on a shopping cart, but like another poster noted, it could have been from a height, on the edge of a sidewalk or something. There are no guarantees in life but I am SO GLAD your baby is better, OP!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#68 of 69 Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiemommy View Post
to katheek.

A baby can get hurt in a sling, a wrap, a car seat, cart or in arms. Accidents happen and that's why they're called accidents.

I hope your baby is okay. Sending tons of good thoughts your way.
Well said Katheek

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#69 of 69 Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM

A caregiver for one of my kids (at 4 months old) had him in a sling and he flipped himself out, hitting the edge of the kitchen counter and then the floor, causing a huge gash and a brain bleed. Accidents happen. He also needed several CT scans.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page