food/formula intake for 9 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the first 8 months, I breastfed my son exclusively. Due to some problems with low milk supply, mastitis, and a lot of frustration/stress, we went to the bottle - 100% formula. We've been established with that for a month now, although he will only take between 13-18 oz in a 24 hr period. He's always been a "snacker", taking in small amounts each time, even if we wait 4-6 hours in between. He doesn't, and never has taken, puree or anything else from a spoon. He likes to feed himself finger foods, and he does pretty well (avocados, cheese, pasta, crackers, fruits, soft veggies, etc). He doesn't eat a ton, but he does ok and then he lets us know when he's done (throws it around or starts to fuss to get out of the chair). He is now 21 lbs and his weight gain has been normal. So my question is - is he getting enough nutrition with taking in such small amounts of formula? At meals, in the high chair, I give him water and sometimes a bit of juice, which he drinks out of those 1 oz medicine cups - he does much better with those than a sippy cup. Even so, his total juice/water is maybe 4-5 oz a day. Should I be doing something different? I mean, it's not like I can make him drink more formula...and even on days when his solid food intake is very low, he doesn't make up for it with the formula. I guess I just need opinions and to hear what other babies his age are doing.
#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71newmom View Post
For the first 8 months, I breastfed my son exclusively. Due to some problems with low milk supply, mastitis, and a lot of frustration/stress, we went to the bottle - 100% formula. We've been established with that for a month now, although he will only take between 13-18 oz in a 24 hr period. He's always been a "snacker", taking in small amounts each time, even if we wait 4-6 hours in between. He doesn't, and never has taken, puree or anything else from a spoon. He likes to feed himself finger foods, and he does pretty well (avocados, cheese, pasta, crackers, fruits, soft veggies, etc). He doesn't eat a ton, but he does ok and then he lets us know when he's done (throws it around or starts to fuss to get out of the chair). He is now 21 lbs and his weight gain has been normal. So my question is - is he getting enough nutrition with taking in such small amounts of formula? At meals, in the high chair, I give him water and sometimes a bit of juice, which he drinks out of those 1 oz medicine cups - he does much better with those than a sippy cup. Even so, his total juice/water is maybe 4-5 oz a day. Should I be doing something different? I mean, it's not like I can make him drink more formula...and even on days when his solid food intake is very low, he doesn't make up for it with the formula. I guess I just need opinions and to hear what other babies his age are doing.
The solids that he is eating sound pretty filling to me, so if he is gaining well and not acting lethargic or seeming dehydrated, he's likely fine. Like you said, you can't make him drink more formula. My DD1 has always been a snacker, and to this day she'll have days when she eats very little, but she seems to make up for it on her ravenous days. It has been too long since my DD was that age so I can't remember what her formula intake was (she was 100% FF by that time, too), so maybe someone else can address that specific part of your question.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#3 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

<bump>
anyone else? Just pretty much wondering what formula intake range is for babies around 9 months. All the books I read say 24oz +, is this really what's happening? Or are there other babies out there taking MUCH less and doing just fine?
#4 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM

My almost 10 mo is taking about 30 ounces per day (5 6oz bottles) give or take a few oz. But, she isn't all that interested in solids yet. If she was eating more, I imagine her formula intake would drop. So, I'm thinking your ds is fine, and like a pp said you can't force him take more formula. I would just be sure to make his food choices nutritious which it sounds like you're doing anyway.
#5 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM

i guess you can only do what you would do for a breastfed baby, and just keep offering frequently. like every couple of hours or less. if he's still not taking any more, then i'd guess he's doing fine. finally, i know there are differing opinions on this, and i personally don't agree with using milks from other animals, but maybe switching out juice for a full fat milk might up his calories? my sister's 9 month old is having milk a couple times a day.

if he's gaining well, and has a good output, i'm sure he's doing fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page