baby acne around the eyes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-13-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all,

Our little week-old Santiago has what looks like baby acne around the eyes. He's got a little on his chin too. We've been "washing" his face with a wash cloth and water.

Any suggestions to help clear it up?

Thanks,

Christian, father of Santiago (HB 9/6/10) and loving husband to Wendy.
#2 of 7 Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Nope. It goes away on its own; nothing to do about it -- or at least, not much worth doing, as it doesn't bother the baby and is gone in a couple of weeks. All my kids had it.

Not sure how often you're washing his face, but I'd say unless he's spitting up a lot he doesn't need to be washed. Babies keep themselves pretty clean the first few weeks with no washing at all except to clean up dirt -- spit up, dribbling, diapers.
#3 of 7 Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 PM

Let it be! If you're washing too often, you might irritate the delicate newborn skin and make the acne worse!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#4 of 7 Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM

definitely just let it be. My kiddo had AWFUL acne. It went away on its own. Just wash with water and if you feel baby needs some sort of moisturizer, use a natural oil instead of baby lotion. I prefer coconut oil and my husband is better with olive oil.

Otherwise, its totally normal and just part of the first days and weeks (or in my kids case, months... ) and irritating skin is really easy at that time.
#5 of 7 Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM

Both of mine had it terribly. It might clear up a wee bit temporarily with a gentle wipe of water, but it'll just come back. It'll go away with time. Congrats on your new baby!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 7 Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mine also had it, on and off, sometimes really badly, for about the first 2 months. I didn't use anything on it, just rinsed his face with water when we bathed him. It looks terrible I know, but it'll clear up on its own so no worries.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#7 of 7 Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 AM

ITA, the best treatment is to leave it alone. I used to just dab a bit of breastmilk on my LO's acne with my finger, which seemed to soothe it a bit.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page