big change in sleep pattern at 7mo. why? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd has slept at least 8 hours stretches since 10 weeks. from 4-6 months she was sleeping 10-11 hrs at a time. we didn't "train" her to do this, she's always been a long sleeper. easy to put to bed too, we would nurse, swaddle, and then cuddle for a couple of minutes and i'd put her down in the co-sleeper and she'd drift off peacefully. if she fussed at night, i would offer her the pacifier and she'd go right back to sleep. during growth spurts she would want to nurse and i'd do it happily. i swear, i appreciated every minute of this because i knew i good we had it.

then, at 6 months things changed:
she grew out of the cosleeper (too long!) and we transitioned to the crib. we are not good candidates for cosleeping (my dh sleeps like the dead & crushes me regularly, we both need 3 large pillows to sleep and i don't feel that cosleeping is the right choice for us.)

we started slowly introducing a couple of solids (some veggies & cereal occasionally, always at lunch time).

for the last month, she's been up *at least* 3 times a night, and is harder to put to sleep the first time and subsequent times during the night.

i was fully prepared for the crib transition to be tough for a few weeks. but it's been a full month and it's just not getting any better, i'm tired, and i'm feeling bad that she's not getting the good sleep she used to, although she's happy as a clam during the day.

i've tried everything (nurse her, don't nurse her, let her fuss a few minutes, respond the millisecond i hear her make a peep, swaddle, no swaddle etc) and nothing seems to help her get back to sleeping longer stretches.

there are so many variables & questions: changing to crib, she may be teething, developmental milestones, is she ready to not be swaddled, could be a growth spurt?

can i do anything to help her? or should i just tell myself "this too shall pass" and wait for her to get back into a more regular pattern?

thanks mamas, i'm too tired to figure this one out on my own.

Breastfeeding nerd. ttc #2!
#2 of 2 Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patronus View Post
there are so many variables & questions: changing to crib, she may be teething, developmental milestones, is she ready to not be swaddled, could be a growth spurt?

can i do anything to help her? or should i just tell myself "this too shall pass" and wait for her to get back into a more regular pattern?

thanks mamas, i'm too tired to figure this one out on my own.
I'd guess those things. I'd think developmental milestone would be more likely than the crib. My DS (6 mos) goes through spurts with sleeping. His sleeping situation has never changed (he's always been in bed with us), but his sleep will vary from STTN to waking every hour, just depending on the week (or night). to you, and it will pass!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page