Crawling before they can sit... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does that happen?

And when concerning when to introduce solids (not yet here!) would you count that as 'ok' if they have all the signs but doesnt sit yet - but can crawl?

Cause that looks the route we are going. It's probably a case of 'don't want to sit' rather than 'can't' cause hes always trying to go somewhere. Why sit when I can go go go he says! lmao

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM

I guess it could happen. My 6 month old was ABLE to sit independently (if I put him in a sitting position) from about 4 months, but maybe two weeks after he started staying up on his own he decided he NEEDED to crawl and as soon as I'd sit him down he'd roll over to a hands-and-knees position and rock. I didn't know how long he could sit for because he refused to do it! He was rocking on hands-and-knees or creeping every time he was on the floor until he started crawling at 5.5 months, and a couple of days after he figured out how to crawl, he went back to sitting up, except that now he could get to sitting on his own.

I introduced solids when my son made it absolutely clear to me that he was STARVING and not interested in more milk. I finally cracked the day he started crawling. I know, I know, wait until 6 months -- but this kid was READY and I silenced my inner opposition by saing htat if he can crawl, he deserves to eat. I hadn't seen him sitting independnetly for months but I knew he could do it (though I had the hardest time convincing him to bend at his waist to sit in the high chair) and in fact his first meal he scarfed down, feeding himself, half an avocado. So he was ready.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM

This happened with my friend's son. I'm not sure if he was doing both when they started solids, but I do know that she waited until he was 6 MO as her start date.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 PM

My dd crawled long before she could sit up - I mean she could sit, but she couldn't (or wouldn't) push herself up into a sitting position. When we were trying to introduce solids, I just put her in her high chair and watched how she sat. It looked pretty normal to me - no slouching, hanging over the sides, etc. So, I'd say, plunk him in and see how he does. If he can't sit up in the chair then you'll have to feed him holding him in one arm or prop him up on a boppy pillow on the couch/floor and feed him there.
(And my dd also managed to walk before she could stand without holding onto anything. She'd pull herself up on something/someone, turn around and walk until she fell down or caught something/someone. Funny milestones, hahaha.)

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post
(And my dd also managed to walk before she could stand without holding onto anything. She'd pull herself up on something/someone, turn around and walk until she fell down or caught something/someone. Funny milestones, hahaha.)
My DS did this too! (Different DS)
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM

DD1 was not interested enough in being still to learn to sit up on her own, so she did crawl before sitting, though it was an army crawl. But boy oh boy, could she get around! She learned to crawl on all fours at the same time that she could pull herself upright, which was around 8 months. She did eat finger foods from about 6 months, though, because she was interested and she could sit up well in a high chair. It's just that when she was unencumbered on the floor, she'd launch into a crawl rather than sitting.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 PM

We have a crawler before sitting here too (& come to think of it, dd1 might've been that way too. . .).

Personally, I prefer to wait for being able to sit well (dd2 here is 4/16 - so close to your lo ) and wait as long as I can for the sake of extra diaper mess . . . dd1 erred toward real food interest closer to 8 or 9 mo too, so I'm just not going to be pushing it too much this early.

User Tag List