My baby only wants to chew on leather - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She doesnt like any teething things made for babies. She only wants to chew on her leather shoe. Im concerned about the dye used on it, so I dont let her have it. Is there anywhere to get an untreated piece of leather?
I guess even plain leather at the craft store would have preservatives or something. I dont know. It would be cool if we could get baby rawhides.
#2 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 10:26 AM

i don't know about leather, but i have read that babies prefer cloth to plastic/rubber teething things. i know my LO likes cloth better b/c it isn't so slippery and he can chomp it better. he also likes the wooden Plan teething ring i have, which doesn't have a varnish so it's more grabby to his gums.

i thought i'd post just in case the ones she doesn't like are slippery...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#3 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. When she starts crawling/walking everything is going to land in her mouth!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#4 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby likes leather too and I wondered if there were any leather teethers. I can imagine the feel of leather on gums and how it would be appealing. I let her gnaw on my leather wallet when we are shopping. She is very content with it.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#5 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 PM

My DS loves leather too. At 13 mos, with 8 teeth, he still likes it though not as much. I just let him chew on it. The chemical/treated issue gave me pause for a few minutes but a happy, teething baby is worth it to me. Technically, your finger is untreated leather so maybe that's an option

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#6 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM

you could see if you can find a local leather crafter type or someone who would treat leather and ask if you can have a untreated scrap.

http://www.theleatherguy.org/SCRAP-LEATHER-15368.aspx

Most leather selling places have bulk scraps for like $25/lb sadly

Lueah 6/10 and Gwen 9/10
trying for 2 after college before I am 27! I Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=guthu
#7 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Maybe someone on Etsy who makes leather goods would be willing to sell you a strip of untreated leather?

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p..._type=handmade

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#8 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM

I just let ds have one of his shoes (somehow we ended up with several pairs of leather shoes over the years!) I figure there is so much other weird things that end up in his mouth that the dye doesn't bother me. This morning, he spit up several bits of a pink piece of paper. Not even sure where he got it (I'm thinking it came home in dd's school folder, hope it wasn't important!)

Mama of three.

#9 of 9 Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Yeah, my wicked good slippers have become a popular chew-thing for dd2. I do prefer it to the mouthfuls of paper - and no, haven't seen actual baby leather teethers either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page