How do I deal with a frustrated baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 month old DS is at that stage where he really, really wants to be mobile but can't figure out how to crawl yet. So whenever I put him down, he immediately rolls onto his stomach, where he will push up on his hands and move a little to the left or right, but not forward. If I set him up so that all items are within reach he's ok, but after about 10 minutes he is yelling in frustration. It's at the point where putting him down is a problem, because he gets so angry about not being able to move. He will no longer lie contentedly on his back, (not that he ever did, before he could roll over he used to yell because he couldn't do that) he just flips on his stomach. I have been holding him in a sitting position which he likes, or sitting him in his high chair, but other than that I can't put him down!!!

Oh, and I tried the bumbo seat, he hates it. Do you think he might like an exersaucer? I hate to spend 100 bucks on something he may not like. I'm at a loss with what to do with him when I need to put him down to go to the bathroom or something. I hate listening to him yell in frustration, and eventually he will erupt into tears so I don't leave him for more than a few minutes.

Anyone BTDT?

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 14 Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM

My 5 month old is at the same stage, pretty much. He ADORES his jumperoo. I'd go with that rather than an exersaucer. And you can find them for much cheaper on Craig's List or consignment or yard sales.
Today he was wiggling on my lap like he wanted to crawl and when I stuck him in his jumperoo he went to town! 10 minutes later he was ready to nap

Edit: we also have an exersaucer. He likes the jumperoo more because of the jumping

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#3 of 14 Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM

You get 10 minutes on the floor?? I've never been able to put either kid down for that long at this age.

Exersaucer will get a few minutes -- I bought mine used (thrift store or resale store or Craigslist).

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#4 of 14 Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 PM

we like the jolly jumper too. it seems to be a nice change of pace from flat on the back, or stuck on the belly. we get a minute or two of unsupported sitting time now, and that also makes a big difference, although i'm guessing it might be a while before she's steady enough for me to leave her unattended. seeing my very steadily sitting nephew playing last weekend really opened my eyes to a whole new level of independent play! my sister can put him down with a bunch of toys and he'll happily occupy himself for ages!

but yeah, for now, i put her in the jumper and she dances happily while i do laundry or use the washroom. putting a mirror in front of her was a real hit too.
#5 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 12:43 PM

DD2 LOVES her excersaucer. It's a lifesaver.

I hate to ask the obvious, but is it possible baberson is tired?

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#6 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.t View Post
My 5 month old DS is at that stage where he really, really wants to be mobile but can't figure out how to crawl yet. So whenever I put him down, he immediately rolls onto his stomach, where he will push up on his hands and move a little to the left or right, but not forward. If I set him up so that all items are within reach he's ok, but after about 10 minutes he is yelling in frustration. It's at the point where putting him down is a problem, because he gets so angry about not being able to move. He will no longer lie contentedly on his back, (not that he ever did, before he could roll over he used to yell because he couldn't do that) he just flips on his stomach. I have been holding him in a sitting position which he likes, or sitting him in his high chair, but other than that I can't put him down!!!

Oh, and I tried the bumbo seat, he hates it. Do you think he might like an exersaucer? I hate to spend 100 bucks on something he may not like. I'm at a loss with what to do with him when I need to put him down to go to the bathroom or something. I hate listening to him yell in frustration, and eventually he will erupt into tears so I don't leave him for more than a few minutes.

Anyone BTDT?

We have the same situation here, so I'm curious to see the replies. I think we're going to get DS a jumpy-thingy soon. For now we just have to limit floor time. It really depends on his mood how long he can stay content on the floor. I find if I get down there and play with him it sort of distracts him from this drive to crawl which leads to the frustration. But playing alone on the floor rarely lasts more than 5 minutes these days!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#7 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM

my charlie is starting to go forward from a sitting position now too. my SIL just gave me a bungy-jumper thing, and he likes it, so another vote for a jumping-type thing. i like the bungy one, because instead of a seat, it's a velcro-tightening vest. when he's in it, he looks like he's wearing a lifting belt, except it covers most of his torso. very snug and supportive.

he DOES love being upright, and though he doesn't really sit by himself, he can hold himself up on this giant toy my SIL handed down to us. he will grab onto it and chew on the beads and rails for 10 minutes or so. i feel like it's helping him move faster towards sitting on his own too, and if i put the boppy around him, i can do other stuff while he plays.

have you tried a cardboard box? i prop charlie in the corner of a box lined w/ a blanket and throw a couple of toys in there with him. the box i use is at armpit height for him, and he hasn't flipped it....yet . seems safe enough on a rug for now. he loves the texture and noise, and scratches his nails on it and chews on the edge too.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#8 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 PM

I really like those jumperoos! I have a daycare, so I have EVERYTHING there is, and we change spots often. The six month old I have right now likes the jumperoo, and the high chair with toys on the tray. He's OK in the walker, but can't seem to understand how to get it to move yet.

He's happiest in a mei tai, but I can't just carry him all day, so we move him a lot. I call him "The ten minute baby" because ten minutes in anything (unless he's asleep) is all he can manage.
#9 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
You get 10 minutes on the floor?? I've never been able to put either kid down for that long at this age.
That's what I was thinking too!
#10 of 14 Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...I guess I'm not the only one, which makes me feel better!

I get ten minutes before it turns into a serious cry, he's not thrilled for the whole 10 minutes! It's more like 3 minutes of contented playing, 3 minutes of fussing, 3 minutes of yelling, then more yelling until he starts actually crying. I don't normally leave him, but I absolutely HAD to get some cleaning around the house done since I was having some guests and it was completely frustrating to have to keep stopping every few minutes. 10 minutes is the MAXIMUM amount of time I could really leave him before all hell broke loose!!

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#11 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM

I laughed when I read your post because DH and I were just saying how DD loves her playmat but gets so frustrated when she can't get to everything. Although she is getting pretty good at rolling herself off the mat and away from all the toys... I am both looking forward to and dreading her crawling!

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
#12 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

My DD was like this too, though she didn't last 10 minutes even The jumperoo was and still is a big hit with her as well as her bouncy seat with toys in hand or toys on a table or something next to her so she can reach. She didn't mind the bumbo either as long as she could reach stuff. She likes the execsaucer ok, but the jumperoo is far superior in her opinion

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#13 of 14 Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM

My DD was like that also at that age and what saved us is her exersaucer. We have the baby Einstein one and it's great it's like a jumperoo and exersaucer in one

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#14 of 14 Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 AM

My 4.5 month old son is content in his exersaucer for a while depending on when he last napped. I got mine used for five bucks...try craigslist/yard sale? He's not real interested in the Johnny-jump-up yet, I think because he hasn't figured out how to bounce in it.

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page