my baby got too cold last night...will she be ok? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffywelsh View Post
no no no no...I was holding her...I just put her down from time to time when she seemed to be asleep, she would cry after a minute or so, then I would pick her up again!
My goodness. Sorry I gave the wrong impression. She sleeps in a cradle right next to my bed. I basically held her all night!
Please.
I never said she had her own room, I just said I wasn't co-sleeping yet. She is about two feet away from me when she is sleeping, just not right in my bed or in a co-sleeper (yet). There is a "baby room", and she has a little cot in there for day sleeping, but that's beside the point.
I also never said I just let her cry for hours without picking her up and comforting her. All I said was that she cried for a long time, which is true...off and on. When I needed a break, my partner came in to hold her. We weren't going to just shut her up in another room and let her "cry it out", although I think that some crying is natural even when she is changed, fed, warm, etc. I set an alarm clock so that I won't go more than 2.5 hours between night feedings, although the doctor said she can have one 4-hour stretch in the night.
Not sure why I have to explain all this, but it seems like I must.
Hopefully people will stop jumping to conclusions here and inflaming one another. It is not fair and it makes me uncomfortable about posting; I thought this was supposed to be a supportive forum. It's hard enough being a new mother without all of this presumptuous vitriol.
thanks.
((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
#32 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerose View Post
ouch.
My heart aches reading through these posts.
As a new mom, i totally relate to your fear of doing something to hurt your baby!!! And also as a new mom, i feel super defensive for you and some of the less than supportive responses you read here.
Just wanting to send you support and hugs - i'm right beside you here and you're doing great!
thank you! (AND TO DEIR)
#33 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Two things that spring immediately to mind:

1. While I adore co-sleeping, it is a more controversial a practice with pre-term infants than it is with full-term ones. And it's not precisely uncontroversial with full-term babies - it's a very popular choice here that doesn't necessarily fly in the mainstream. I have a preemie too, and I understand the extra caution that comes with that. Definitely wait until you have a safe set-up to start. Among other things, if you're worried, how much sleep do you think you're gonna get?

2. Given your baby's age, the problem may not have been cold. My ped explains to new parents that as babies get "more vigorous" they can also get fussier. If that's the case, it's not something you did wrong, it's just the baby reacting to an immature nervous system. Swaddling, and the other tricks in "The Happiest Baby on the Block" can really help with this.
#34 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Sounds like you figured it out Mama! The first coupla weeks can be tough... hang in there, it gets easier. Have you looked at an Arms Reach cosleeper? You can find good deals on craigslist sometimes, that way you don't have to wait on your party hardy bro.
#35 of 40 Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM

so sorry, mama!!!! and sorry people have been less than tactful in responses
i know what you mean.. i second guessed pretty much everything at first, and my dd did SO MUCH crying, held/not held/ cosleeping/in the cosleeper. this sounds kind oddball, and i'm an older mom who ought to know better, but i really didn't realize just how much some babies actually cry when they're newborn.
I don't think a 70 (or less) degree room is enough to harm that baby! Humans haven't always had central heating, ya know! I think too, there are places across that pond from the US where the rooms are normally kept much cooler than we tend to do here.
i second the sleep sac suggestions & the swaddling suggestions. We do cosleep, and it does keep that baby warm (sweaty even), but if you don't feel safe on your mattress doing that, by all means don't!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#36 of 40 Old 12-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Wh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by taffywelsh View Post

no no no no...I was holding her...I just put her down from time to time when she seemed to be asleep, she would cry after a minute or so, then I would pick her up again!

My goodness. Sorry I gave the wrong impression. She sleeps in a cradle right next to my bed. I basically held her all night!

Please.

I never said she had her own room, I just said I wasn't co-sleeping yet. She is about two feet away from me when she is sleeping, just not right in my bed or in a co-sleeper (yet). There is a "baby room", and she has a little cot in there for day sleeping, but that's beside the point.

I also never said I just let her cry for hours without picking her up and comforting her. All I said was that she cried for a long time, which is true...off and on. When I needed a break, my partner came in to hold her. We weren't going to just shut her up in another room and let her "cry it out", although I think that some crying is natural even when she is changed, fed, warm, etc. I set an alarm clock so that I won't go more than 2.5 hours between night feedings, although the doctor said she can have one 4-hour stretch in the night.

Not sure why I have to explain all this, but it seems like I must.

Hopefully people will stop jumping to conclusions here and inflaming one another. It is not fair and it makes me uncomfortable about posting; I thought this was supposed to be a supportive forum. It's hard enough being a new mother without all of this presumptuous vitriol.

thanks.

You have to understand our concern - in your original post, you said "after she cried all night", and that you were unaware of what the temperature was like in her room. I know I was concerned that this meant that you let the baby cry all night, alone, in a different room from you.

The women on this board are supportive, but also concerned with baby's well-being and will advocate for that.
#37 of 40 Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I worried about this a lot with my newborn baby.  One thing that was really helpful to keep him warm was a swaddle sleepsack.  I had one that I could wrap around him arms or keep his arms out.  It is very safe and can fit over the layers.  Just reading your post, I remember how I was that first month and beyond.  I thought that my worrying was normal, but later realized it was Postpartum Anxiety.  You may want to talk to your doctor/midwife about your worrying to rule out any anxiety issues.  It is not uncommon and they will help you cope.

#38 of 40 Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Moderator Note: Name Calling is not allowed on this site. Please see our User Agreement. The link is in my signature.
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#39 of 40 Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

Moderator Note: Name Calling is not allowed on this site. Please see our User Agreement. The link is in my signature.
Thank you I'm sorry if my opinion caused offence. In sure therefore the following paragraph with its bullying connotations and insinuation that the poster was an unfit parent will also be removed:

You have to understand our concern - in your original post, you said "after she cried all night", and that you were unaware of what the temperature was like in her room. I know I was concerned that this meant that you let the baby cry all night, alone, in a different room from you.
#40 of 40 Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Those comments were made over 3 years ago. If someone was offended they would have notified the moderators then. I read through the entire thread and it seems like anyone who said something unfair apologized and clarified what they were saying. If you feel a member is bullying another member, please let us know in the future by clicking on the flag button at the bottom of the post. Thank you.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page