April 2010 Mamas, through October 2nd - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Can I post a little AP vent here? I belong to a great group of AP moms who are wonderful for the most part, but some of the moms on the fringes.....This morning we went to a playdate at a friend's house and there was a mom there I didn't really know all that well. While nursing DD2 I overheard her conversation with her 3 yo about a leappad toy - basically she wouldn't let her child play with the toy because it was an electronic toy.
Seriously? I get not buying those types of toys for your home if that is your belief system. But telling your child she can't play with one at a playdate? Where let's face it, the kids flit from toy to toy every 5 minutes.....It seemed just a tad ridiculous to me - Like "No you will never touch any toy that uses electricity!!"

Ok, vent over!
That would drive me crazy!

I'm lucky in that all of my crunchy mom friends are relatively laid-back. Even our MDC playdates moms are really just super-awesome laid-back moms.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

ack, i give up. i don't know who asked about flying! and i barely have time to read and post, looking back seems impossible...

liz, cool about your wedding! the stuff i bought is from herbs for kids. i got it at a local natural grocery store, not sure where else it's sold...

snoopy, . i'm with you

pepper, the choking thing is just what i was thinking, heh. i may use little cereals eventually, but wnat to experiment with other foods for awhile... charlie definitely isn't practicing the pincer yet.

i need to get a high chair so we can let charlie play while we eat. reading reviews.... i wanted to get a booster seat, but we only have 4 chairs and a small table. and we have people over for dinner a lot. so.... a high chair for us! any recommendations?

so, my MIL saves everything. everything. she has all my husbands old toys and wants us to use them. i brought home a big box of fisher price stuff, including baby toys. it's mostly plastic, but a lot of it was actually made in the US. does anyone know if these older plastics are better/worse than the new stuff? it's the same stuff i played with too, lots of fond memories .

we are having GORGEOUS weather, and charlie and i have been hanging out on the porch for a few hrs. he took a nap, and is in his jumpy thing right now while i have some computer time. it hangs from the porch swing hook, yay! he's staring off into the distance and talking to himself, just like you described S, jsh.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#273 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM

I really need to get a bouncer for my boy. I think he'd love it.

Had Sprout's 6 month appointment today! As expected, he's fallen down the charts in weight (50th to 25th). He's holding steady on height and gone up on head circumference, he looks fine, and he's hitting milestones, so the ped had no worries. Got one shot and an oral vaccine, didn't even have to nurse him to calm down -- they have a projector in the nursing room that Nugget had set to shine fish on the ceiling, and that totally distracted him.

I think I'm going to put him back on Prevacid. He seems more uncomfortable when nursing lately, so I'll try him back on it and see if it makes a difference. The ped suggested we keep him on until he's eating more solids (and she didn't care at all that he wasn't into them yet).

I'm just finishing up organizing a group buy of crafts from Oriental Trading, so that'll be nice to have off my mind. But now I have two bags full of crafts to distract Nugget for only $11!

We're all decorated for Halloween over here. It's Nugget's favorite holiday, so the place is totally decked out. Anyone else spinning up into the holiday season?

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#274 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM

In many ways Halloween is my favorite holiday. I LOVE it. Parties, candy, costumes, being out after dark, what more could you want?

#275 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 PM

P+H - have you thought about a highchair that hangs on the table?

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#276 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Those are great! Be warned, though -- they won't hang on all tables. Ours is just used for eating out b/c it won't work on our dining table.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#277 of 294 Old 10-01-2010, 11:54 PM

Finally got a tooth picture!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/femgeek/5043427640/

#278 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 AM

Jen & Pepper: Love the pics! Your babes are adorable!

Jen: I hope the Prevacid helps. I started solids because JR was to the point where he would gag, choke & throw up the meds Every time I gave them to him. I figured it wasn't worth it. The food, even though it's not much, has calmed the reflux but swung him from chronic diarrhea to constipation. No food til he gets more cleaned out and will try to figure out what helps/what doesn't.

Snoop: so scary! My last 2 were in a swing til almost a year too! Wow!

Thanks for the solids input. I do bf all the time, even before he eats; he just hates Not being able to eat more so he wants the comfort of nursing. He is super strong-willed and the solids are more for his reflux and the fact that he screams at me when he sees me eating! My mom is here and has been amazed at his strong will! Said he's a lot like I was.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#279 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
So so cute! Glad to see he found something to eat that doesn't make him break down... right?

Symphony is now rolling back to front and front to back with ease - finally! Then again, that combined with her trying to grab everything nonstop makes it almost impossible (even more so!) to get this wiggly monkey baby to sleep. Well, she's cute and sweet and easy except for the sleep, so we take it as it comes.

We're still playing with solids - and I do mean playing, the only thing I have seen proof of entering her stomach was the rice cereal and bananas - tonight she slurped on a raw zucchini that she seemed to like (the carrot was a NO-go). I have noticed that she is pooping and peeing fewer times per day (and sometimes only poops every 2 days - this from the girl who not long ago was giving us 3+ each and every day!). So maybe she's just growing up? She's definitely getting enough to eat!:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6145746_n.jpg
#280 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 AM

Jess: that is an AWESOME picture!

#281 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM

I am so chuffed! - I found a Bumbo potty seat at an NCT sale today! Hamish loves it! - Here he is!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...xley/Bumbo.jpg

I didn't actually expect to find one there! hehe I love lucky finds!!!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#282 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Ann: That is such a good picture! He is so cute and the potty seat looks cozy for little bums!!!

#283 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM

Sprout had a stealth poopsplosion in the exersaucer this morning. By the time I picked him up and found it, it had run down his leg into that "convienent" dip in the bottom, and he'd been splashing in it.

Do you know how hard it is to clean between baby toes?!

I hope this isn't setting the tone for the day....

Hey, LNF, how're things? Are you getting more sleep? Are things settling back into normal?

#284 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
J still isn't sleeping here :/

It's really taking a toll on me. I am short fused, irritable, and I am getting overwhelmed. I can feel a breakdown coming on.
My mom has tried helping, my stepdad has tried helping and J just screams and screams and screams.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#285 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM

OMG Jess - I just love that photo! How cute! I am so jealous of chunky babies! hehe...Whilst hamish is really LONG and still pretty high up there in weight...hes not very chunky! Oh well! My milk must be semi skimmed lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#286 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM

Just a quick check in from me. Things here are OK. The baby is doing great. He's rolling over but not really doing anything else yet like sitting up but he will get there. All my other kids have taken their time in doing those sorts of things but once they figure it out, they've got it.

In other news, I am most likely divorcing after four kids and almost 11 years. It sucks but I think it needs to be done. I have no idea how I'm going to pay the bills and parent on my own, but I will have to figure it out. I have no family in the area and haven't worked full time in about 10.5 years. Combine that with a crummy job market, things don't look encouraging but I will get through it and come out better on the other side.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#287 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Oh, sandcastle. I'm happy to see you around again, but so sad at the news. I hope it all shakes out ok for you.

#288 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. Between being busy IRL and simply being knocked out of commission by Survivor Week: Business Trip Edtion, I've been pretty quiet everywhere.

So, we went apple picking today and had overall a really really good day. I need to do work tonight, but then tomorrow I am taking the day OFF. Heading to Mass, but after that will be out for the day enjoying myself.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#289 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM

Oh no, Sandcastle... I am so, so sorry.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#290 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcastle View Post
In other news, I am most likely divorcing after four kids and almost 11 years. It sucks but I think it needs to be done. I have no idea how I'm going to pay the bills and parent on my own, but I will have to figure it out. I have no family in the area and haven't worked full time in about 10.5 years. Combine that with a crummy job market, things don't look encouraging but I will get through it and come out better on the other side.
I am so very sorry. I'm in the same position. It sucks. I don't have family here and have no idea how I'll support them. Not trying to blah about me, just want you to know you're not alone, it's awful, it's scary, it's lonely.

Jen: You totally made my day!

#291 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Well, the day started inauspiciously. Both kids woke up covered in pee, then there was the poopocalypse. I found an odd rash on DD's arms. DH came home after an absolutely exhausting night working Trauma and barely stayed awake long enough for me to grab a shower. My parents took DD for a day at the Cowboy Heritage Festival, but she wouldn't use the potty before leaving (NOT good when a 45 minute drive is up for a newly-potty trained kid).

But it all worked out ok. And I got through bedtime solo without tears from either kid -- always a victory.

Jess -- how's sleep lately?

#292 of 294 Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

So many hugs to those of you getting divorced. That's scary and sucky, but I hope you come out of it in a better position than you're in right now!

AFM- last night we set L in the bouncy rocker chair thing while we were cooking dinner. We were only setting her there for a minute, and we didn't bother buckling her in because "we're right here watching her."

Yeah. We turned our backs for 10 seconds and heard "THUD" and she had flipped herself out of the bouncy chair onto the tile floor.

We felt TERRIBLE. She screamed at us SO HARD. I went and nursed her and she calmed down after a few minutes. Had a little goose egg on her forehead and it looked like it was going to bruise, but no bruise really today. Maybe just a very faint one.

She's fallen over while sitting on the floor, I've hit her head lightly on the car door, I've scraped her with my ring, and I've hit her arm on the door frame. But this was by far the worst. We both felt so so so so so terrible.

In other news- she slept for the better part of 13 hours last night (with about 1/2-1 hour around 7-8 am where she lay in her crib and babbled to herself). She woke up and nursed and stuff, but I think that's the longest she's ever slept. I was a bit concerned after the head-hitting incident last night. But, after she woke up I told DH how sometimes lots of sleep can precede developmental leaps. Then I set her down on the play mat and she started consistently pushing backwards.

We put her in the other bouncy seat today to take a shower- buckled in, of course. And she kept sitting all the way up and trying to throw herself out of that. So I think the bouncy seats' days may be numbered. We set the pack-n-play up in the hallway next to the kitchen while we cleaned up today and she was happy in there for a while. It was great because the landing was softer if she fell over, plus she couldn't throw her toys out of reach.

Tonight DH was sitting in the rocking chair waiting for me to get ready for bed so we could crawl in bed and watch Parenthood on Hulu. And she fell asleep in his arms! I could count on one hand the number of times since the newborn stage that she's fallen asleep without being bounced in a carrier or nursing. And most of the other times have been in the past few days, too. She's gotten to where I can put her in the crib when she's really drowsy and sometimes she'll babble herself to sleep!!!!

Okay, that was a much bigger novel than I intended to write.

#293 of 294 Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yeah, that was my original plan. our trouble is a very small eat in kitchen. when we have guests, we're almost out of room with 4 adults. AND, our table has a vertical ledge below the top, so we'd have to replace it or cut out a hole for that kind of chair . sooo... i'm looking at high chairs that you can pull up to the table and have away from the table with a tray. anybody wanna perform a special op and get us all Stokke tripp trapps?? i decided to plunk down the $11 for the bumbo tray, we'll try it tomorrow. putting off the inevitable i guess...

mesh feeders: i almost got one today, and looking at the pictures on the package grossed me out so much, i couldn't do it! seriously no offense to those of you who like them, i just am not ready for food squishing out of holes... not sure why that bothers me so much . i'll wait and see if i think we can't get the experimentation/nutrition we need without it.

jenfl, yay on the appointment! sprout sounds perfect to me

oh my, s to both of you guys going through separation and divorce. i hope there is some light or source of support that will become clear.

i am MELTING over these fantastic baby pictures! i really need to get off my but so i can share some too.

rhi, so, so happy to hear about L falling asleep on her own! you have earned it! btw, i'm just waiting for our first big screw-up with charlie...

ericka, so sorry about jennings screaming so much. has anything worked other than you holding him so far?

afm, we had a fantastic day today. spent most of it outside picknicking, sitting, hiking. charlie was a trooper, as he spent a good deal of time in the ergo. he climbed his first "mountain." i just KNEW one of us was going to bend over too far and he'd fall out, or trip or fall, but we survived

i didn't report our stats from our 6-month appt. charlie is holding steady since his last check at 50% for height, he's 26 1/2" and 25% for weight, he's 15.9.

i'll hopefully put the new thread up tomorrow morning, and i'll make sure to post here that i've done it!

#294 of 294 Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

NEW THREAD POSTED FOR US

we have the party smiley marking it....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page